Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Armani wrote:I don't know what to do with him anymore. We sure as hell can't fire him. Just think about this, if we fire D'Antoni, we'll be owing 20 million for coaches that aren't coaching. That too, for multiple seasons. We will end up keeping him... I don't see him getting fired.

Sobering thought, and one that underscores the breathtakingly poor judgment of Jim Buss.

Jim Buss - not Nate Robinson - is the real "Laker Killer."
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby Maluco Beleza on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:06 pm

lol so lakers hired MDA to cater to Nash right?
And lakers didn't hire Phil so not to cater to Kobe?

WTF is going on here... when did the PHX SUNS take over the Lakers? :bang: :bang: :bang:
Maluco Beleza

Postby 432J on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:07 pm

please resign
432J

Postby GNC on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:08 pm

themasterphil wrote:
Armani wrote:I don't know what to do with him anymore. We sure as hell can't fire him. Just think about this, if we fire D'Antoni, we'll be owing 20 million for coaches that aren't coaching. That too, for multiple seasons. We will end up keeping him... I don't see him getting fired.

he isnt coaching anyway...so whats the difference

LOL. thanks for the laugh :man10: :man10: :man10:
GNC

Postby themasterphil on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:08 pm

karacha wrote:
themasterphil wrote:
karacha wrote:I would not call Nash an idiot. He's one of the greats.

maybe 5 years ago .....now he is idiot like his beloved coach

He doesn't play as well. Which doesn't make him an idiot. He's an extremely intelligent player. Always was, still is.

his team is 17-25....i care about that one, i dont care how intelligente he is....
themasterphil

Postby BuzzerBeater on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Maluco Beleza wrote:lol so lakers hired MDA to cater to Nash right?
And lakers didn't hire Phil so not to cater to Kobe?

WTF is going on here... when did the PHX SUNS take over the Lakers? :bang: :bang: :bang:

Welcome to Los Angeles Suns...

This team sucks or maybe its all about money without ambition.

We need to fire Mda then trade almost everything.
BuzzerBeater

Postby themasterphil on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:13 pm

GNC wrote:
themasterphil wrote:

no welcome..... :jam2:
themasterphil

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
karacha wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
karacha wrote:Guys, please understand: no coach can save this season at this point. No one. It doesn't matter at this point.

Hmm . . . well, D' Antoni DEFINITELY isn't going to. So I would rather he was gone now. I feel much better rolling it out with Bernie and Eddie.

Trust me, it doesn't matter. They are not going to fire MDA anyway, and he's not crazy enough to quit now.

Feel free to make a poll and see how many people really think he's going to be fired. All emotions aside -- realistically, do you really think he's going to be fired now?

^^ Karacha, I've already mentioned in an earlier thread and post that I don't have any idea IF he'll be fired. He might not be. But I think he should be. If it were me, I'd pull the trigger. You know we aren't going to go further with him. Might as well try it without him. Unless you think we should continue to go with him next year and beyond for some more of this magical basketball that he coaches.

I'd say he might have a couple more games to try and turn this around, emotions aside. But I don't think they are going to. Not with the kind of coaching he's bringing.

Why prolong the inevitable? I'm with Weezy all the way.

I think you're just ignoring the things you dont want to think about like the money we owe him and overcoming Jim's ego admitting he made a mistake so quickly.

Obviously those things don't mean anything to you, but believe me when I say they are large factors in their decision making.

True, it's not my money. But I can't imagine this guy has job security if he keeps losing games and losing the team.

At some point you have to stop the bleeding. The thing this time around is it's actually Jerry having to admit that he made a mistake. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I don't think Jim is even that attached to D' Antoni. He got what he wanted and he's happy. He got to stab Phil in the back and get the last word on that. As long as there's no Phil he's satisfied.

I mean, if they want to continue with this fascinating type of basketball that's fine for them I guess. They already said that the fans' opinions don't matter.

All I know is that this is not the Jerry Buss I grew up with. Things changed. Recently.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 pm

There's no reason to even trade anything. You just let their contracts expire and build a new team in 16 months.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby BuzzerBeater on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:16 pm

themasterphil wrote:
GNC wrote:
themasterphil wrote:

no welcome..... :jam2:

Me too

BuzzerBeater

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:18 pm

karacha wrote:There's no reason to even trade anything. You just let their contracts expire and build a new team in 16 months.

^^ Ultimately, that may be what this is all about. The Buss family got paid already. They may just be biding their time until 2014 and D' Antoni was a name that they knew Nash and Kobe were cool with.

As I said, I used to know what Jerry Buss was about - it was all about winning. We're not winning and this coach with this team is clearly not going to be winning any time soon. Perhaps they're fine with that now.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Lakerjones wrote:True, it's not my money. But I can't imagine this guy has job security if he keeps losing games and losing the team.

At some point you have to stop the bleeding. The thing this time around is it's actually Jerry having to admit that he made a mistake. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I don't think Jim is even that attached to D' Antoni. He got what he wanted and he's happy. He got to stab Phil in the back and get the last word on that. As long as there's no Phil he's satisfied.

I mean, if they want to continue with this fascinating type of basketball that's fine for them I guess. They already said that the fans' opinions don't matter.

All I know is that this is not the Jerry Buss I grew up with. Things changed. Recently.

The guy has job security until the moment comes when it is clear and undeniable, that the only problem preventing this team from being elite, is Mike D'Antoni. Now, I don't believe that to be the case, and I don't think the Lakers FO believe that to be the case either.

That isn't to say MDA doesn't play some role in this, but switching MDA to Jeff Van Gundy or whoever is available isn't going to make this team a contender.

People always seem to think it is one simple thing that will just change everything. They thought Nash's return would fix everything, they thought a coaching change would fix everything. When will people realize, that the main problem we have goes beyond coaching?

MB wasn't great, but the guy did win back to back 60 win seasons with LBJ and a bunch of scrubs. Same with Dantoni. Not ideal, but he's had 60 win seasons recently. Maybe neither of these guys can get us to 60 wins fine, but ANY coach SHOULD be able to get this team to 45 wins. The fact that two 60 win coaches can't get this team to play .500 ball should tell you it goes beyond JUST the coaching.
JGC

Postby phoenixrisingla on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 pm

JGC wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:True, it's not my money. But I can't imagine this guy has job security if he keeps losing games and losing the team.

The guy has job security until the moment comes when it is clear and undeniable, that the only problem preventing this team from being elite, is Mike D'Antoni. Now, I don't believe that to be the case, and I don't think the Lakers FO believe that to be the case either.

That isn't to say MDA doesn't play some role in this, but switching MDA to Jeff Van Gundy or whoever is available isn't going to make this team a contender.

People always seem to think it is one simple thing that will just change everything. They thought Nash's return would fix everything, they thought a coaching change would fix everything. When will people realize, that the main problem we have goes beyond coaching?

MB wasn't great, but the guy did win back to back 60 win seasons with LBJ and a bunch of scrubs. Same with Dantoni. Not ideal, but he's had 60 win seasons recently. Maybe neither of these guys can get us to 60 wins fine, but ANY coach SHOULD be able to get this team to 45 wins. The fact that two 60 win coaches can't get this team to play .500 ball should tell you it goes beyond JUST the coaching.

Just to play devils advocate, a lot of times removing the coach does act as a catalyst for changing the culture and sometimes yields instant performance increase. It's happened many time through the history of the league and as recently and the NY Knicks last season staring... guess who? :mhihi:
Last edited by phoenixrisingla on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenixrisingla

Postby karacha on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 pm

I agree. These guys can't play together, the defensive energy is not there, we are slower then most teams and our shooters are inconsistent. There is absolutely no chemistry. If basketball players build the chemistry and have clearly defined roles (team identity), they are more then the sum of their individual talents. The Lakers are the opposite. Every one on them could still contribute on different teams -- but when you put them together it just does not work.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 pm

As the bandwagon empties out and the ratings start to slump, you have to think the Busses will start to feel the heat from Time Warner.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby escitnj on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:28 pm

Got 'Em Coach ‏@GotEm_Coach
#Lakers can't get Phil anymore, but there's no better opportunity for him to prove his greatness than to turn this [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] turd around.
"I don't want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant."

-Kobe Bean Bryant

"Basketball, unlike football with its prescribed routes, is an improvisational game, similar to jazz. If someone drops a note, someone else must step into the vacuum and drive the beat that sustains the team."

PHIL JACKSON, The Last Season
escitnj

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:29 pm

he gave the team the day off tomorrow. thats cool. lets not practice after a horrible road trip and 4th loss in a row.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Pig Miller on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:30 pm

2 words to describe the dantoni contract: sunk cost.

you're just compounding the mistake if you keep him
Pig Miller

Postby phoenixrisingla on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:31 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:he gave the team the day off tomorrow. thats cool. lets not practice after a horrible road trip and 4th loss in a row.

Mind = Blown
phoenixrisingla

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:45 pm

karacha wrote:I agree. These guys can't play together, the defensive energy is not there, we are slower then most teams and our shooters are inconsistent. There is absolutely no chemistry. If basketball players build the chemistry and have clearly defined roles (team identity), they are more then the sum of their individual talents. The Lakers are the opposite. Every one on them could still contribute on different teams -- but when you put them together it just does not work.

Completely disagree.

Its on the coach to make things fit...well check that....its on management to find the right coach to make things fit.

Rodman didn't work with the Spurs after having success in Detroit. Comes to Chicago and fits right in.
We could have had a frontline sporting LO, Pau and Drew. Instead Phil made the adjustments and LA got fitted for rings. When LA brought in more athletic wings like Ariza and Shannon Brown, Phil made the adjustment and allowed players to break the triangle to run the break. How much do you think the triangle played a part in Kobe developing such a sick post game. You can make the moving parts fit, its just that the moving parts have to believe that they are getting fit into a winning system.

D'Antoni has gone all over the roster to find a winning combination. That isn't coaching...he's force fitting parts for the system...plugging and playing to see what he gets and then its on to the next. He's destroying player morale and that is what is killing team chemistry.

Look to NY who had talents like Billups, Carmelo and a defensive anchor in Tyson. They didn't come out to play for D'Antoni cause they didn't believe in what he was selling. Make the change and they became a different team. Same talent, different results almost instantaneously. Some of you are unbelievable. You think the winningest coach in history would be sporting a sub .500 record with a 8 game deficit. We had injuries, but last I checked our best 2 players were lacing them up for a majority of these games. This type of futility with this type of talent should not happen...PERIOD.

It starts up top....no need for trades...this team can be a championship contender, you just need to have a coach to make it fit....instead of creating misfits. I mean, even a guy with supreme character is being demonized as a cancer on this team. Something is terribly wrong and disturbing with that picture. That's on the coach.....and the men that hired him.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby BuzzerBeater on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Was this Phils return thread?

Nah, im lost again :bang:
BuzzerBeater

Postby charvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:48 pm

He gave them a day off yesterday, too.

CaCHooKa Man wrote:he gave the team the day off tomorrow. thats cool. lets not practice after a horrible road trip and 4th loss in a row.
charvin

Postby kenshi1023 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:35 pm

it would be smart for d'antoni to resign before he is fired... at this point, he needs to lose his stubbornness and think about his long term career... it would be much harder for him to find another coaching gig if he were to be fired a second time. his agent should consult him and advice him that it is time to cut bait.
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby Pig Miller on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:36 pm

can we sign latrell sprewell so he can go latrell sprewell on dantoni?
Pig Miller

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:38 pm

I'm losing patience with MDA very quickly. He's just as lost as these players. There's no identity on either end of the court. Nobody knows what their doing. It's embarrassing. I don't think we end up with 25 wins this year...
dwighthowardsdad

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard