Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:10 pm

thisbjgz wrote:Image

:man10:
khmrP

Postby charvin on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:28 pm

Rick Carlisle must've read "The Art of War". In Carlisle's situation, know your team, know their team, and victory is almost guaranteed; D'Antoni only cared about the know your team and didn't give two craps about SAS and what they would do and that is probably why they lost (or in part to Horry --> Nash).

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll is gutsy, I'll give you that. To take a rookie who did not even have expectations of starting immediately, and put him as the starter took a lot of courage; disregarding the sunk cost notion and just putting the best product out there, period.

:man10: When was that picture taken?

D.B. Cooper wrote:
Jalen Rose wrote:Jalen Rose was on that Suns team, which he brought up after I asked him about Rick Carlisle, whom Rose once played for:

He made sure we ran hard at shootaround. He made sure we broke a sweat. He made sure we're prepared for the other team's sets. We knew if we were doubling the post. We knew how we were playing pick and roll. Are we hedging on this player, going under on that one. Are we double-teaming? How are we going to play those down screens certain players are coming off ...

We knew everything.

tha son wrote:But the Jets argued, and doubtless believed, that it was a smart way of locking up a young player. It was a classic case of what psychologists call the “escalation of commitment.” Since the Jets had bet big on Sanchez, it seemed reasonable to place an even bigger bet on his future.

So how do you counter this problem? “Taking the original decision-maker out of the picture and letting a fresh pair of eyes look at the pros and cons can help,” Arkes says.
Last spring, Seattle signed the quarterback Matt Flynn to a hefty free-agent contract, a chunk of which was guaranteed. But in training camp Flynn was outperformed by a new draftee, Russell Wilson. The Seahawks put Wilson in the starting lineup, Flynn got to throw only nine passes all year, and the team made it to the playoffs. This happened only because the Seahawks understood that Flynn’s salary was irrelevant. “I don’t want that to matter to me,” the head coach said of the investment. “You want the best guy at that time to play.”

khmrP wrote:

:man10:
charvin

Postby XXIV on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:40 pm

:man10: Is that real?
XXIV

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:49 pm

XXIV wrote:

:man10: Is that real?

no it's a shop, and i'm sorry i didn't do it myself :bow:

hilarious
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby NeeJee on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:17 pm

Brian Shaw please.
NeeJee

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:17 pm

That Woj article was a good read. Very interesting insights. I still don't think Pau would have worked. Neverthless, you give yourself better chances with is roster to win & make everybody happy/content when you're running a triple post offense. This system MDA has doesn't suit us at all, obviously...
Last edited by dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:19 pm

slow down the pace and play inside out! itll lower our turnovers and improve our defense. too old to play the 2nd fastest pace in the game.
Ariza3

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Kevin Ding @KevinDing: Lots of speculation, but I am told today the Lakers are not considering a buyout or firing of Mike D'Antoni as head coach.

Damn!
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:22 pm

Weezy wrote:
Kevin Ding @KevinDing: Lots of speculation, but I am told today the Lakers are not considering a buyout or firing of Mike D'Antoni as head coach.

Damn!

No they are not, they are asking him to do what he did in NY. Get off scot free! :man1:
charvin

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:25 pm

They aren't going to fire him now, they'll finish out season and if they miss the playoffs they'll evaluate their options in the off-season.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:27 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:They aren't going to fire him now, they'll finish out season and if they miss the playoffs they'll evaluate their options in the off-season.

Agree. And even in the off-season the only way I see it happening is if Dwight outright says he wants to stay on the condition D'Antoni is out.
phoenixrisingla

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Maybe the Suns would like to hire D'Antoni?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Pig Miller on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:47 pm

this whole idea of keeping him is a cut off your nose to spite your face situation. it's asinine.

the FO doesn't want to admit they made a mistake and i'd be shocked if phil wanted to come back with less than 40 games remaining and 8 games under.
Pig Miller

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:57 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:They aren't going to fire him now, they'll finish out season and if they miss the playoffs they'll evaluate their options in the off-season.

Agree. And even in the off-season the only way I see it happening is if Dwight outright says he wants to stay on the condition D'Antoni is out.

The thing is I don't think Jerry Buss will let Dwight bully them like that and it would be absolutely horrible for Dwight's image to make the same mistake twice. The Lakers will have to get rid of MDA on their own volition and only if they think they can find a coach who is suited for this roster and won't lose the respect of the team. We all want Phil but it might be a pipe dream at this point unless the Lakers can suck it up and ask him again after turning him down AND Phil accepts without making ridiculous demands.

But I'm not sold that a simple coaching change, regardless of who it is, will automatically fix this team. They need a massive roster overhaul this off-season.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby noobiew on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:41 pm

Weezy wrote:

Damn!

Well, there go our playoffs hope this season, and our future franchise player Dwight Howard will be gone because of the team massive failure failed to advance to the playoffs.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Lakeshow24 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:29 pm

They will fire him if the fans revolt and Time Warner starts groaning. The Buss' already showed signs of panickingwhen Jimmy came out a week or two ago saying "we won't panic" or something to that effect. And Mitch coming out to support D'Antoni like he didn't do the same with Mike Brown before he was canned.

Let's see how much more brutal this gets. I give D'Antoni until the all star break. If we keep losing, he's toast too.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:35 pm

They have to stick with D'Antoni for the remainder of the year; they can't fire two coaches in 1 season. It's not going to happen. I hate to say this, though; things are going to get far worse. I don't know if we're going to approach 30 wins. We have a coach who doesn't know what he's doing, no identity on either end, etc.

It's going to be a long rest of the season...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:00 pm

If D'antoni continues to struggle & gets fired, we need to be the 1st team to try out 10 day contracts for coaches (does that even exist?)

Give Nate, Sloan, etc. a shot & see how they do.. If we're going to miss the playoffs, might as well spend the rest of this season getting everything perfect for next year.
lakersin4

Postby dmaul on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:00 pm

Well, the Lakers have lost that money on D'Antoni. No way he's here through the rest of his contract. So you're going to pay him in the end anyway. In terms of the financial hit, doesn't seem to matter if you fire him now or later. In terms of the PR hit, firing two coaches in one season and being made to look inept and a bad decision maker, that's also a foregone conclusion. Everyone knows it was a bad hire, two bad hires in a row, three if you want to count Rudy T. It's worse to cling to pride and refuse to admit failure. This team is going down faster than the Titanic and headed for the Hall of Shame because the Buss family don't want to lose face.

They were courageous in canning Brown so soon into the new season. No hesitation at all. They did what had to be done. I would be impressed if they had that kind of courage to do it twice before the end of this season. I wouldn't think any less of them. They screwed up. So what? Move on and try again. Finish out the season and give the players a chance to have some fun and play for themselves. Maybe we'll see a spark or some things will stand out to us to give us some hope or something to look forward to next year. Then in the summer, you rethink your roster and look for a new coach for a new era. Let's start putting this nightmare of a season behind us.
dmaul

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:38 am

“@ramonashelburne: Intervention bounce RT @isaaclowenkron Interim coaches are now 24-5. Bickerstaff 4-1, Carlesimo 12-2, Boylan 6-2, Hunter 2-0.”
Ariza3

Postby Lakeshow24 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:10 am

dmaul wrote:Well, the Lakers have lost that money on D'Antoni. No way he's here through the rest of his contract. So you're going to pay him in the end anyway. In terms of the financial hit, doesn't seem to matter if you fire him now or later. In terms of the PR hit, firing two coaches in one season and being made to look inept and a bad decision maker, that's also a foregone conclusion. Everyone knows it was a bad hire, two bad hires in a row, three if you want to count Rudy T. It's worse to cling to pride and refuse to admit failure. This team is going down faster than the Titanic and headed for the Hall of Shame because the Buss family don't want to lose face.

They were courageous in canning Brown so soon into the new season. No hesitation at all. They did what had to be done. I would be impressed if they had that kind of courage to do it twice before the end of this season. I wouldn't think any less of them. They screwed up. So what? Move on and try again. Finish out the season and give the players a chance to have some fun and play for themselves. Maybe we'll see a spark or some things will stand out to us to give us some hope or something to look forward to next year. Then in the summer, you rethink your roster and look for a new coach for a new era. Let's start putting this nightmare of a season behind us.

I'm pretty much *this close* to giving up on the season too. As long as they're keeping O'Antoni I'm giving up. Looking at our schedule over the next few weeks, I don't see any hope. I'm holding out hope they'll get hot and have a decent 2nd half of the season, but only IF they fire O'Antoni and go back to an interim coach i.e. Bickerstaff. Truly, I have way LESS confidence in O'Antoni than I did in Mike Brown.

At least Mike Brown tried and was willing to try new concepts and a new offense because he knew where his weaknesses were. But O'Antoni seems to be stubborn in this belief that his system is more important than his personnel and I keep looking up and wondering "but what have you won with your system?"

Exactly... nothing. And the fact that Dwight and Pau both suck in his system speaks volumes IMO...

Edit: came back to strip Antoni of the D.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby robKBMJ on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:23 am

If Phil had been coach, the only player that was a question mark was Steve Nash. I think it would have been way easier for Phil to work him in to the Triangle compared to what D'umbtoni is failing miserably to do with Pao, and Dwight, and just about every key role player we acquired.

I mean it's not like Steve Nash is flourishing with this system either. With the Triangle, I think his scoring would have been the same with all the open shots he would get. Maybe the apg would have taken a hit but who cares if we're winning.

No use crying over spilled milk I guess. So....since the Lakers have to pay him, I would keep MDA on as a personal free throw coach for Dwight Howard and make Bernie the head coach. Doesn't cost a penny more and at least it will make the players and fans happier heading into the off-season.
robKBMJ

Postby Lakeshow24 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:25 am

robKBMJ wrote:If Phil had been coach, the only player that was a question mark was Steve Nash. I think it would have been way easier for Phil to work him in to the Triangle compared to what D'umbtoni is failing miserably to do with Pao, and Dwight, and just about every key role player we acquired.

I mean it's not like Steve Nash is flourishing with this system either. With the Triangle, I think his scoring would have been the same with all the open shots he would get. Maybe the apg would have taken a hit but who cares if we're winning.

No use crying over spilled milk I guess. So....since the Lakers have to pay him, I would keep MDA on as a personal free throw coach for Dwight Howard and make Bernie the head coach. Doesn't cost a penny more and at least it will make the players and fans happier heading into the off-season.

:man10: Free throw coach. Demote him to a team scout... seek a shooter for Phil's offense. That would be a dream come true but I guess Phil's a pipe dream for all of us? :freak2:
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
Lakeshow24

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:22 am

dmaul wrote:Well, the Lakers have lost that money on D'Antoni. No way he's here through the rest of his contract. So you're going to pay him in the end anyway. In terms of the financial hit, doesn't seem to matter if you fire him now or later. In terms of the PR hit, firing two coaches in one season and being made to look inept and a bad decision maker, that's also a foregone conclusion. Everyone knows it was a bad hire, two bad hires in a row, three if you want to count Rudy T. It's worse to cling to pride and refuse to admit failure. This team is going down faster than the Titanic and headed for the Hall of Shame because the Buss family don't want to lose face.

^^ This is precisely the way I'm feeling dmaul. Even though it looks rough to let two coaches go in a season, if it were me, I'd do it. Easy to say when it's not my money or franchise, of course. Does it look bad? Yes. But what looks worse is the continued losing and the continued morale drop, the continued media bashing and fan interest drop off. It's an embarrassment right now.

But as I mentioned before, I don't presume to know what the FO will do. They say they won't can him. That's their prerogative. They'll go down with the sinking ship I guess.

Or who knows, maybe the team will suddenly rally and turn this thing around. To me though, that seems much more likely if they fire D' Antoni and go with Bernie as interim coach as they did before. The D' Antoni "system" doesn't seem to be working on any level at all. Well, they've got the rest of the season I guess to prove all the doubters like me wrong.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard