Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby khmrP on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:32 am

Analyst/fans alike want to see Antoni "adjust" to the personnel....but seriously if he knew how he would've done it by now, I'm sure he's not enjoying all this losing and getting bashed left and right. Its just plain and simple, he does NOT know how to adjust that is why he clashed with Melo and enjoyed brief success with Lin, while people think this is an insult but Kobe style of play is similar to Melo at times in that the ball will stick and everyone just stands around and watches them operate rather then help them with moving w/o the ball.
khmrP

Postby Weezy on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:22 pm

Honestly what is the point of not firing him immediately other than money, and not looking bad in the media? And to counter the first one, I'll just say "multi-billion dollar cable TV deal", they can afford it. To counter the 2nd, most of the media says he should be fired as well, that he never should have been hired, and know how it ended in NY for him and what a disaster that was too. This coach is not our future. Could the offense get better next season if some of his style players are brought in? Sure, but will the defense get better under this guy? EVER? I'm not seeing it, and that's not a formula for championships, something I and many other have been saying since day one of his hire.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:37 pm

RESIGN ALREADY!!!

there is no way buss will do what's best for the team, can't swallow his pride and make the right move. just like when he hired this idiot over phil

we're so screwed
432J

Postby charvin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Whatever the case may be, if they have any plans on changing coaches for next year, they had better do it soon in the off-season and do it fast. The next coach needs time for personnel changes and the training camp to implement whatever the hell they want to run.

Not some BS like waiting until the first few games of next year to see if anything has changed, and then have a wasted training camp, similar to this year.
charvin

Postby Lakeshow24 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Broussard is calling for the firing of D'Antoni. Thank you. http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=8880366
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby Weezy on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:20 pm

Lakeshow24 wrote:Broussard is calling for the firing of D'Antoni. Thank you. http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=8880366

I'm not an insider, any chance you could post the article? Also, Broussard is a NY guy right? So he would know our pain.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:40 pm

Lakers should fire D'Antoni now
L.A. must consider that keeping the coach could mean losing Dwight Howard
Originally Published: January 25, 2013
By Chris Broussard | ESPN The Magazine
EMAIL
PRINT

Noah Graham/NBAE via Getty Images
Little has gone right for Mike D'Antoni. Should the Lakers fire another coach this season?
I hate to say this because I like Mike D'Antoni. He's a nice, personable guy who, as he proved with the Phoenix Suns, can be a very successful NBA coach given the right personnel.

But with the Los Angeles Lakers, he doesn't have the right personnel. He has great personnel -- the best center in the league, one of the best power forwards in the league, an all-time great shooting guard and a terrific, albeit older, playmaking point guard -- but it's personnel that fits neither his coaching philosophy nor his coaching strategy.

It has been a disaster from day one, or maybe we should say night one, when a bum fax machine stalled contract negotiations between D'Antoni and the Lakers in November. Regardless of the lineup -- whether Steve Nash has played or not, whether Dwight Howard has played or not, whether Pau Gasol has played or not -- D'Antoni and these Lakers have been a terrible fit.

Broussard on ESPN Radio
Chris Broussard talks to "Mike & Mike in the Morning" about the possibility of Dwight Howard being traded and the state of the Los Angeles Lakers. Listen

While it has been only 32 games and the Lakers still owe D'Antoni almost $12 million in guaranteed money, it is time for a divorce. The Lakers should fire D'Antoni and let assistant coach Bernie Bickerstaff coach the rest of the season.

It sounds drastic, but it needs to be done. This is simply not working, and you know what? It's not going to work because D'Antoni's perimeter-oriented, point-guard-do-it-all, defense-be-damned system does not fit this team. There are not enough trades out there to be made to make it fit, especially when it's built around a soon-to-be 39-year-old point guard.

Part of this is just expediting the inevitable. D'Antoni is going to be fired sooner or later. It might be at the end of this season; it may be midway through next season or even after next season -- but it's coming. There is no reason to believe things are going to improve significantly, at least not enough to make the Lakers the title contender they definitely should be. So why delay it?

This roster is built to win now; there's no time to waste. Wasn't that the explanation given for the hasty dismissal of Mike Brown?

Beyond that, there are strong rumblings that D'Antoni already has lost significant parts of the locker room. Two sources close to the situation have told me that many of the Lakers are fed up with D'Antoni and his system and that Kobe Bryant is the only one keeping many of the players from completely tuning out their coach.

What's worse is that I've heard talk that Howard is hinting he won't re-sign with the Lakers if D'Antoni is the long-term coach. I'm not sure whether that's true because I haven't heard it from Howard or anyone in his camp, but it makes all the sense in the world. Howard wanted the ball more in Orlando, where he was the focal point of the offense, so he certainly can't be happy with the offense he's in now. It's hard to see him wanting to play the next two seasons or more in this system.

Two sources close to the situation have told me that many of the Lakers are fed up with D'Antoni and his system and that Kobe Bryant is the only one keeping many of the players from completely tuning out their coach.
As Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne reported earlier this week, the Lakers are considering the possibility of trading Howard before the Feb. 21 deadline. I've been told the Lakers are trying to figure out what they can get for Howard in a deadline deal. But even though, as one executive recently told me, "most teams would die to get Howard," the Lakers won't have a ton of options because Howard holds the leverage of being a free agent this summer.

Perhaps the only two teams that would get assurances of a long-term commitment from Howard would be the Brooklyn Nets and the Los Angeles Clippers. There is no way the Lakers would send Howard down the hall to play with Chris Paul and Blake Griffin, even if the Clippers were willing to offer DeAndre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe.

That leaves Brooklyn.

Dallas, Houston and perhaps Atlanta might be willing to trade for Howard without assurances that he would re-sign after the season, but Dallas and Houston have nothing to offer the Lakers. And there's little reason to believe Howard wants to play in his hometown of Atlanta.

But again, why are we even talking trade? The Lakers would be foolish to trade Howard. As bad as things are -- and things are horrendous -- about the only way it can get worse is if Howard is lost in free agency. Why? As Tom Haberstroh pointed out, a rule in the new collective bargaining agreement doesn't allow taxpaying teams such as the Lakers to have a sign-and-trade at their disposal.

The Lakers' best move is to try to keep Howard somehow.

Yes, we are seeing all of Howard's warts in Los Angeles. He's not very mentally tough. His offensive skills are limited. And his foul shooting is abysmal.

But remember, he is playing at about 80 percent after returning from back surgery. One opposing general manager told me his team's trainer said it takes a year to a year and a half to return to form after the type of surgery Howard had. And even in his diminished state, Howard is far and away the best center in basketball.

Without full health and in an offensive system that treats him as an afterthought, he is still averaging 16.7 points, 12 rebounds and 2.5 blocks on 57.6 percent shooting. To put that in perspective, there is not another center in the league who has ever averaged those numbers. Ever. In their best seasons, Brook Lopez, Joakim Noah, Andrew Bynum, Marc Gasol and Tyson Chandler all fell short of that line. Howard remains plenty good.

[+] Enlarge
Jayne Kamin-Oncea/USA TODAY Sports
Instead of trading Dwight Howard, perhaps dismissing Mike D'Antoni would compel him to stay.
In 2009, he took the Orlando Magic past LeBron James' Cleveland Cavaliers and to the NBA Finals. Indeed, this is a guy the Lakers need to sign long-term. He can be the centerpiece of a title contender for seven or eight years after Bryant retires.

The answer is not to trade Howard but to do everything in their power to make the Lakers an attractive home. With the way things have gone in D'Antoni's 12-20 run, that means a coaching change.

I'm not saying the 68-year-old Bickerstaff, who has coached four teams, is an all-time great coach or the long-term solution. I'm just saying he gives the Lakers their best chance of finishing this season on a relatively high note, which would seem to be a must to get Howard to sign on the dotted line.

Over the remainder of this season, the Lakers can take their time and figure out which coaches from the strong list of available candidates best fit their roster. Heck, maybe they can even mend fences with Phil Jackson. Then they can make a more informed hire for next season.

The Lakers, who were 1-4 under Brown and have lost more than 62 percent of their games under D'Antoni, were 4-1 under Bickerstaff. I know it was only five games, and I don't know if Bickerstaff did anything more than say, "Go out there and play like you're at the Y," but the Lakers pounded the surprisingly stellar Golden State Warriors by 24 points and beat Houston, another team currently among the eight playoff seeds, by 11. And that was without Nash.

Under D'Antoni, the Lakers have lost twice to Houston and once to the Sacramento Kings, a team the Lakers beat by 13 under Bickerstaff. In Bickerstaff's final four games as interim coach, Howard averaged 20.5 points, 13.8 rebounds and 3.5 blocks.

Will making the move to Bickerstaff get the Lakers to the Finals? I doubt it. But I bet it would improve the chemistry, get them playing much better basketball and perhaps even get them into the playoffs. And at this point, that would be an accomplishment.

Most believe Jim Buss won't fire D'Antoni soon, not just because of the financial repercussions but because it would be an admission of a colossal mistake. But it would be an even bigger mistake to let the season continue to spiral out of control and, as a result, lose Howard.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Rock on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Come on Dwight not every coach out there is gonna make an offense tailored perfectly for you? This is what losing does, frustrations come out, petty issues come out, everybody starts pointing the figure. Fact is Dwight is getting the 2nd most post touches in the league. 2nd most! If he didnt get kicked out of 2 games, didnt get hurt in 1 game and didnt miss 3 games due to shoulder injury guess who would have the most touches? Its you Dwight. Guess who else is doing well in the post? Kobe. Even if the triangle offense or princeton offense is run you're no gonna get more touches than you already have. Fact is you're turning the ball over, you're not rebounding well and you're not defending well either. He and D'Antoni need to freakin work this out. This isnt like the point of no return where dudes just turned out Mike Brown because hes clueless...what MDA does is actually working. Pau is shooting 48% since Nash got back, guys like MWP, Clark and Hill are having great seasons under MDA. Each of the players starting with Dwight need to start taking some personal responsibility on the other end.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby dmaul on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:42 pm

Lakerjones wrote:Or who knows, maybe the team will suddenly rally and turn this thing around. To me though, that seems much more likely if they fire D' Antoni and go with Bernie as interim coach as they did before. The D' Antoni "system" doesn't seem to be working on any level at all. Well, they've got the rest of the season I guess to prove all the doubters like me wrong.

I feel like he's lost this team just like how Brown lost the team. Not sure these two Mikes ever had the team to begin with. Doesn't seem to me like these guys command respect from players in this league. A nice guy like Brown tries hard but doesn't always know what he's doing and gets tuned out in the end. A guy like D'Antoni may have some unique ideas on offense but is too stubborn to adjust his system or tailor it to his personnel. The end result is the same: guys disinterested in playing a team game or playing for each other, poor effort, and no passion out there. The fans can sense it.

They've got the infamous Grammy trip coming up, 7 games. Let's same they come back 2-5 or 1-6, if D'Antoni isn't fired after that result, then I'm pretty sure he'll be here for the entire season. Then to me it's a near certainty nothing's getting turned around and we'll finish with like around 30 wins.
dmaul

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:05 am

It took him 32 games to realize this team may win more games with Kobe posting up instead of being an off ball 3pts shooter ...

Good job , good effort !
wcsoldier81

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:49 am

If he has any chance at taking this team to the PO's and keeping his job, he better develop a lot more flexibility. We need to play inside-out right now. I've heard the argument, though about playing this way; we have no shooters. Although, I wouldn't say that; we have streaky shooters who can either be on or off in any given game.

Nevertheless, we had no shooters last year with lesser talent and had a better regular season record. If need be, we could attempt another shooter or two back during the trade deadline.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:50 am

GARBAGE
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby charvin on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:09 pm

Are you sure he realizes it? Or is it just the team not listening and just playing how they think is most effective?

wcsoldier81 wrote:It took him 32 games to realize this team may win more games with Kobe posting up instead of being an off ball 3pts shooter ...

Good job , good effort !
charvin

Postby greetings_human on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Perhaps the only two teams that would get assurances of a long-term commitment from Howard would be the Brooklyn Nets and the Los Angeles Clippers. There is no way the Lakers would send Howard down the hall to play with Chris Paul and Blake Griffin, even if the Clippers were willing to offer DeAndre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe.

Lol Howard for DeAndre Jordon and Eric Bledsoe... :freak2:
greetings_human

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:02 pm

I'm surprised this article from Bresnahan in today's paper Times isn't on here yet. Dan doesn't plan to change a thing with his coaching according to this, after meeting Thursday with Mitch and Jim. :bang: Says "look at the other teams how well it works for them". (the younger faster teams)

Lakers meet with Mike D'Antoni, give coach a vote of confidence
Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak huddle with D'Antoni on Thursday, The Times has learned. D'Antoni calls it 'a positive meeting' in an interview before Friday's game.

By Mike Bresnahan
January 25, 2013, 10:07 p.m.
Thursday was a day off for the Lakers, a time to recover from an 0-3 trip after returning to Los Angeles early in the morning from Memphis.

But it was a very busy day for Mike D'Antoni.

The Lakers' coach was given a vote of confidence during a face-to-face meeting with Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak and Executive Vice President Jim Buss, The Times has learned.

Despite a shaky start with the Lakers, D'Antoni was told to do whatever he wanted with the lineup. Buss and Kupchak support him.

He was told to do whatever was best for the offense. Buss and Kupchak support him.

They discussed team personnel and morale and were unanimous in their thinking: The Lakers can still make an impact in this league. And, yes, make the playoffs.

"It was a positive meeting," D'Antoni said Friday in a quiet moment at Staples Center, long before tipoff against the Utah Jazz.

D'Antoni has no plans to change his push-the-pace offense, fully convinced it's the wave of the present, not to mention the future.

"I just find it amusing that people want us to play a different way," he said. "And I don't know why we don't look at the top five teams and play that way. You know, San Antonio, Miami, Oklahoma City — they're all playing small and fast and moving the ball. The league has changed a little bit. We're not trying to get to mediocrity. We're trying to get to be better."

Pau Gasol will keep coming off the bench, viewed as the backup center in D'Antoni's eyes, although Howard and Gasol did play at the same time quite a bit Friday against a bigger Utah team.

"All our stats and my gut and everything else is that we're not as good with two bigs on the floor at the same time," D'Antoni said before the game. "Every statistical information says that. Otherwise, I would play that way."

Earl Clark gives the Lakers "that length and speed we need on defense," D'Antoni said. "And our defense and offense is better with the smaller team on the floor right now. We'll see if that continues, but all the information we have, that's the deal."

Is winning what improves morale? Gets guys to buy into the system? And play better defense?

"Well, that helps," D'Antoni said. "You can teach and push when you win. It's harder when you lose. A winning streak would help, without a doubt."

The Lakers beat Utah on Friday, 102-84, to end their four-game losing streak and improve D'Antoni's record to 13-20 since joining them. He signed a three-year, $12-million contract two months ago. The team holds an option for a fourth year.

D'Antoni, Buss and Kupchak aren't looking that far into the future. They think the Lakers, and their $100-million payroll, are plenty talented.

"I think the team is constructed well enough to win now," D'Antoni said.

mike.bresnahan@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... 8073.story
LTLakerFan

Postby Lakeshow24 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:08 am

LTLakerFan wrote:He was told to do whatever was best for the offense. Buss and Kupchak support him.

They discussed team personnel and morale and were unanimous in their thinking: The Lakers can still make an impact in this league. And, yes, make the playoffs.

"It was a positive meeting," D'Antoni said Friday in a quiet moment at Staples Center, long before tipoff against the Utah Jazz.

D'Antoni has no plans to change his push-the-pace offense, fully convinced it's the wave of the present, not to mention the future.

"I just find it amusing that people want us to play a different way," he said. "And I don't know why we don't look at the top five teams and play that way. You know, San Antonio, Miami, Oklahoma City — they're all playing small and fast and moving the ball. The league has changed a little bit. We're not trying to get to mediocrity. We're trying to get to be better."

Yeah right! There's no way it was all positive. I'm speculating that Mitch and Buss fully jammed D'Antoni and made themselves clear that he'd better reverse whatever downward spiral the Lakers are on.

If Mitch and Buss had the audacity to jam Phil Jackson, and pretty much run Phil out of town, there's no way they play cute and soft with D'Antoni. No way.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby khmrP on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:16 am

greetings_human wrote:

Lol Howard for DeAndre Jordon and Eric Bledsoe... :freak2:

how bout we give BK Howard and they give up pieces to Clipps and we get those guys and then some :man1:
khmrP

Postby MC on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:31 am

^^^
That article above goes to show just how far they are going to take this in order to try and save face.....

MDA suggests that they play better with only 1 big on the floor..... of course that is true if you run a system that is small ball orientated.............. it's the old chunky soup debate...fork or spoon...clearly the spoon is better for soup yet you get something done with the fork which than goes to suggest the fork is the tool of the future? Please..........

Love how he lists the top 5 teams in the NBA right now..........How about listing the total championships by small ball gimmick teams since he arrived on the seen in the NBA as coach? you know, with the wave of the future offense that should have just rolled when nobody saw it coming. How about all those titles the Spurs have won since adjusting to small ball? oh ya...that's zero. How about that list of small ball dynasties? oh ya, there hasn't been one.

Regular season arguments mean JACK S**T around here you tool and outside of the Heat winning one freak'n title I just don't see this wave of the future offense taking over........... it's ridiculous.

Repeat after me........... dynasties cannot be made relying on jump shooting rosters......... 1 hit wonders can (Dallas as an example) but not the dynasties...... you know..... what we expect here with the Lakers? unless of course the new bar is looking pretty while3 winning little of true significance.

........ I agree we don't want mediocrity.....but being the regular season champs of basketball doesn't interest Laker fans one bit either. All these gimmick ball teams need to win a few more championships, maybe even a team do it 2 or 3 in a row before I suggest this crap is better than playing a balanced system of basketball like the triple post offense that has OWNED the NBA for over 2 decades...

This guy, these gimmicks are a joke............. no different than the NFL with these little gimmicks like the Wildcat or the Pistol and these running QBs........... a little fad that will get destroyed in the long run once it's on tape. Wildcat took about 3 years to disappear, Pistol will be on it's way out after next year....... same crap, no matter how much these TV pros try and suggest otherwise...... there is a way to play the game and it's been well tested over the span of generations......

But hey we have the ultimate regular season champ as coach playing the "wave of the future" system..... only sad part about is zero championships will come out of it but it will be fun and pretty ball to watch.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Pig Miller on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:59 am

okc plays small ball? they post up durant, they're starting frontcourt averages 6'11 and has a shot blocking freak. a great post defender, and a guy that can make any shot on the court.

they also have one thing this team doesn't: speed everywhere. westbook and ibaka both get up the court great for their respective positions. durant covers have the court in 7 steps.

not sure how mda could not do a self assessment of the team. or if he did, how he came up with this conclusion.

btw, if we get lebron, westbrook, or durant, i'll bw 100% in on mda's small ball system.
Pig Miller

Postby charvin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:08 am

D'Antoni, don't take anything from this meeting. Buss said Brown was safe, it's safe to say he wasn't.
charvin

Postby karacha on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:20 am

Pig Miller wrote:okc plays small ball?

I like your analysis, and yes -- OKC is a tall team. But by "small ball" he probably refers to them playing fast, penetrating to break the D and being able to hit a lot of jumpers. At least that's my assumption. We can't play like that because, while Dwight is an athletic freak, even after his back surgery, other guys are just not that fast. Metta is only 6-7, but he's fairly slow. Gasol is 7-1 and slower then ever. Only Clark is fast. If we had Rudy Gay/Clark/Dwight, with healthy Jordan Hill -- now that's totally different. Then we'd be able to play "small ball" with the front court being 6-9, 6-10, 6-11.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:45 pm

That article really put a damper on my hopes for the season.. So we only played through the post because Utah keeps 2 legit bigs in? If we're going to try to play teams like OKC's game instead of beating them with our advantage in the post, we might as well stop watching now..
lakersin4

Postby Legendary on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:50 pm

What is everyone's opinion on D'Antoni's lineup adjustment?...Starting Earl and bringing Pau off the bench.

Was it a good move? Or will it bite us in the a**?
Legendary

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:54 pm

Legendary wrote:What is everyone's opinion on D'Antoni's lineup adjustment?...Starting Earl and bringing Pau off the bench.

It's a great move. We have needed someone off the bench for awhile now that can create their own offense. Gasol does that in a different way than say Jamal Crawford, but it's still effective because he's great at orchestrating and dominating on offense when he wants to.

As long as he's playing confident and being the Gasol we want, on offense at least, the 2nd unit will look that much better.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Legendary on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:18 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Legendary wrote:What is everyone's opinion on D'Antoni's lineup adjustment?...Starting Earl and bringing Pau off the bench.

It's a great move. We have needed someone off the bench for awhile now that can create their own offense. Gasol does that in a different way than say Jamal Crawford, but it's still effective because he's great at orchestrating and dominating on offense when he wants to.

As long as he's playing confident and being the Gasol we want, on offense at least, the 2nd unit will look that much better.

I'll say this: Those injuries to Hill and Dwight played a huge role in Earl's opportunity to strut his stuff and led to his recent emergence....but D'Antoni, faced with a fading Gasol took the initiative to make the permanent adjustment.

Pretty gutsy move on his part, IMO.

And you're right, If Pau buys into this new role wholeheartedly...hell, we may not even need a trade this season (and I wouldn't have believed that, even a few days ago). Management will probably ride this out for the next couple of weeks to see what we get from this new lineup.
Legendary

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard