Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:23 pm

I like Earl in the linu speficially for defensive purposes. He's quick, athletic, and very versatile. He can guard multiple positions, is a good help/team defender, and moves off the ball farirly well. Obviously, he's not a scorer first and that's not what we need with this team right now. We need his energy, youth, & defensive ability more then anything.

Also, it gives more floor balance especially when he's making his perimeter shots. He can draw the defense out which creates more room for Dwight in the P&R. I liked the move from the very beginning.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Just read the article about our current offense in the Kobe thread, and I'll say here what I said there. So basically they're playing like under Bernie, no real offense, just the players doing what they know how to do as intelligent basketball vets. So we hired a coach for his offense, that we had to stop running to start winning, brilliant. What purpose does this guy serve exactly? I applaud him for playing guys they earning minutes, and for bending to his players requests, but when that request is to stop running his offense it cracks me up. I can't give credit to a guy for going away from what he's known for because it was making us suck. Clearly we don't need him and if he were fired tomorrow he wouldn't be missed, these players could run the team alone better than 'Antoni.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Armani on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:11 pm

No point in firing him anymore. Do it in the offseason if you have to. This team is FINALLY building chemistry. Stick with it, no matter what. We don't need more changes.
Armani

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:17 pm

I guess if he's getting paid to really do nothing, might as well have him as a figure head for the rest of the staff and a guy to scream at refs.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:22 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Legendary wrote:What is everyone's opinion on D'Antoni's lineup adjustment?...Starting Earl and bringing Pau off the bench.

Was it a good move? Or will it bite us in the a**?

It's a great move. We have needed someone off the bench for awhile now that can create their own offense. Gasol does that in a different way than say Jamal Crawford, but it's still effective because he's great at orchestrating and dominating on offense when he wants to.

As long as he's playing confident and being the Gasol we want, on offense at least, the 2nd unit will look that much better.

Agreed. I posted elsewhere that I feel this was D' Antoni's best move all season. When Pau missed games with the concussion it became obvious that Earl Clark was a great fit with the starters - he brought the requisite energy, hustle and defense that we were solely missing with a gimpy Gasol. I was glad D' Antoni stuck by his guns. Pau needed it. The team needed. Now Pau can play more Center, and get more rest. He has been really hurting this season with the plantar fasciitis and the tendonitis in the knees. This keeps him fresher, puts him more into his spots, it's just way better all around. He's focused when he comes in instead of holding back in order to play more minutes. He's more efficient and more involved when he does get to play.

So yeah, great move for sure.

RE: the offense now, yeah, I mentioned earlier in this thread today that I thought it was looking more like Kobe was doing under Bernie when Nash was out. I'm totally fine with that. It was time to ditch the D' Antoni system that no one was buying into.

Good, they recognized what had been working. Stick with it. We need wins.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:30 am

Weezy wrote:I guess if he's getting paid to really do nothing, might as well have him as a figure head for the rest of the staff and a guy to scream at refs.

If they just won two in a row, let's see how long the streak ends up being. Let's see how they fare after the grammy trip concludes. If the Lakers have a lousy grammy trip, I'd FIRE HIS BUTT!
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby Jordan-esque on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:34 am

http://www.acb.com/redaccion.php?id=91078

Pau Gasol: "We're playing our own system."

"I do not know if we are playing (Mike) D'Antoni's system much right now, we are doing our own system a bit, a slow passing game, putting a lot of the ball in the hands of Kobe (Bryant), playing blocks direct from the low post, and from there distributing the ball very well."
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:41 am

At least he's getting out of the way now ...

Post up is the most inefficient play in B-Ball :man10:

Half of our points were a direct result of Kobe operating on the low block ...

How can you be that bad at your job and getting paid millions ?
wcsoldier81

Postby noobiew on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:27 am

Jordan-esque wrote:http://www.acb.com/redaccion.php?id=91078

"I do not know if we are playing (Mike) D'Antoni's system much right now, we are doing our own system a bit, a slow passing game, putting a lot of the ball in the hands of Kobe (Bryant), playing blocks direct from the low post, and from there distributing the ball very well."

Argh, then please continue to do so and ignore MDA stupid high scoring system, because the last two games showed that running through Kobe works, let Kobe dominates the ball possession and run through the offense, let Nash plays off the ball instead.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby MC on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:39 am

amazing what happens once you scrap the most irresponsible offense on earth and run the players on this roster to their strengths......... man that inefficient basketball sure seems to be effective and helps balance the floor in order to get back in transition.

Pringle's genius = pathetic hack

The way to win at the level needed is playing anti-MDA ball.....

The floor balance when shots go up has been much better the last 2 games doing it the right way instead of the MDA dumbazz way.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:16 am

TBH, I don't think they EVER really ran MDA's offense this year. Maybe because they didn't believe in it from the start or because it was too difficult to learn on the fly without a training camp, or maybe some of both.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby MC on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:44 am

Punk-101 wrote:TBH, I don't think they EVER really ran MDA's offense this year. Maybe because they didn't believe in it from the start or because it was too difficult to learn on the fly without a training camp, or maybe some of both.

They weren't running it fully but make no mistake there has been a change in philosophy of play these last 2 games which is the anti-MDA philosophy......

It also lead to way more responsible floor balance on the offensive end which in turn allowed the Lakers to have a CHANCE to get back in transition. That lead to more half court play and an all of a sudden stiffer defense....

Now will MDA continue this path........... that is the question I'm not sure of yet.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 am

MC wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:TBH, I don't think they EVER really ran MDA's offense this year. Maybe because they didn't believe in it from the start or because it was too difficult to learn on the fly without a training camp, or maybe some of both.

They weren't running it fully but make no mistake there has been a change in philosophy of play these last 2 games which is the anti-MDA philosophy......

It also lead to way more responsible floor balance on the offensive end which in turn allowed the Lakers to have a CHANCE to get back in transition. That lead to more half court play and an all of a sudden stiffer defense....

Now will MDA continue this path........... that is the question I'm not sure of yet.

Oh absolutely. My question is why. Trying to run MDA's offense with only 25% fluency looks like s*** so they gave up the 25% because what's the point. Why the lack of the rest of the 75%? No time to learn it? Resistance to learning it? Both? I ask because if MDA isn't fired in the offseason, I wonder if we'll see 100% MDA offense next year.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:04 am

I don't see why Pau has to talk about it like that.. You're getting what you want, no need to throw D'antoni under the bus too. Hopefully D'antoni is a bit more mature about it, & doesn't respond by forcing his O on us again.
lakersin4

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:33 am

Some of us mentioned a couple times early on that Nash and Kobe ultimately would probably determine what they needed to run rather than "go go go Dan"
LTLakerFan

Postby charvin on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 am

He can force it all he wants, unfortunately he can't control what the players do directly. If the players choose to play another system, well...

lakersin4 wrote:I don't see why Pau has to talk about it like that.. You're getting what you want, no need to throw D'antoni under the bus too. Hopefully D'antoni is a bit more mature about it, & doesn't respond by forcing his O on us again.
charvin

Postby charvin on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:42 am

The claim was that D'Antoni's offense was "simple" to learn and easy. If that was the case, then the time it takes to learn it should not be difficult.

Therefore, it either doesn't work with this line-up, or it isn't as simple to learn and not all that easy.

Punk-101 wrote:
MC wrote:

Oh absolutely. My question is why. Trying to run MDA's offense with only 25% fluency looks like s*** so they gave up the 25% because what's the point. Why the lack of the rest of the 75%? No time to learn it? Resistance to learning it? Both? I ask because if MDA isn't fired in the offseason, I wonder if we'll see 100% MDA offense next year.
charvin

Postby davriver290 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 am

If they aren't running Mike's system, then thats a sign of a good coach. yes this season hasn't been impressive at all and our previous horrendous games are a testament to how bad this run n gun offense didn't work for us... But it shows that he was willing to adapt, and try something new.. Not a bad trait in a coach. Most are very stubborn and can only have it their way..
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby hollywood swinger on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:52 am

Last edited by hollywood swinger on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:56 am

Jordan-esque wrote:http://www.acb.com/redaccion.php?id=91078

^^ Thank goodness. Well, I think they compromised, which is what they needed to do. Instead of straight up firing D' Antoni, they looked back at what was going right while Bernie was the interim coach. Since there was no Nash, Kobe was distributing just like he did the past two games. Both times around there has been a more concerted effort to play a more natural style of ball without an agenda. And surprise - with all these veteran leaders, it looks like they can take care of that better themselves than trying to force an uptempo style which plays to their weaknesses not their strengths.

I don't know who it was who said let's do it this way, but I'm glad they did and that everyone is going with it. We have to win games now and it makes sense to play like this simply because it worked before under Bernie, and it's working again.

We're getting our bigs more involved, we're playing at our own pace. It's smart.

Are we going to get back into the playoff hunt this way? Hopefully. I think it's our best chance. It's also the way to approach playing IN the playoffs if we do make it.

I'm so relieved that they scrapped the D' Antoni concept. I'm still completely unclear about why they hired him, but it is what it is. Let's keep up the winning.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:00 am

davriver290 wrote:If they aren't running Mike's system, then thats a sign of a good coach. yes this season hasn't been impressive at all and our previous horrendous games are a testament to how bad this run n gun offense didn't work for us... But it shows that he was willing to adapt, and try something new.. Not a bad trait in a coach. Most are very stubborn and can only have it their way..

Well I'll hold off on the good coach bit, but it's certainly a good step.

Something a lot of coaches should pick up from Phil (especially coaches taking positions with older teams) is that older teams want and need a little more freedom. The days of Riles coming in and being a disciplinarian are pretty much over. It can be done with younger teams, but in this prima dona league older players need freedom.

When Phil coached we ran the Triangle, but only in a sense. There was a lot more freedom allowed to our teams than the traditional Triangle offense assumes. This team needed, and still needs, something similar.

I wouldn't be surprised if eventually we started to see more of D'Antoni's offense kind of bleed into this offense we're running now.

But as far as him being a good coach? I'm not sold yet. We'll see how long this tiny run (if it can be called that) lasts. I suppose if I'm willing to grant the players some leeway, I'll do the same for D'Antoni. He wasn't the only one being stubborn.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:04 am

The Kobe System? :man10:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Center Court on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:16 am

MC wrote:amazing what happens once you scrap the most irresponsible offense on earth and run the players on this roster to their strengths......... man that inefficient basketball sure seems to be effective and helps balance the floor in order to get back in transition.

Pringle's genius = pathetic hack

The way to win at the level needed is playing anti-MDA ball.....

The floor balance when shots go up has been much better the last 2 games doing it the right way instead of the MDA dumbazz way.

MDA is a great offensive coach... just because his system is the opposite of what we need doesn;t mean his system can't work.

ON a young team with a dynamic point guard/shooters/slashers/rebounders/runners, it works perfect and we've seen it work.

Let's say he was Minny's coach wwith Rubio/Shved/Williams/AK/Love, I think it'd work brilliantly.

MDA's problem is that just like in NY, he failed to adjust. Refused to adjust, and that make him a bad coach. (in my eyes). This is why under Bernie it worked. He let them play to their strengths. No x's o's. Just go play. When you have Nash/Kobe/MWP/Pau/Dwight//Jamison you have players who don't need to be chained and shackled to a system. Maybe this is MDA adjusting and he likes and wants this type of game. Maybe he's just kinda thrown his arms up and is letting them do whatever they want so long as he stops getting the heat. Either way, I like what we've seen.

I always said, this team at it's best with have a soccer feel to it. Lot of passing, ball movement, cutting, lobbing, open shots, penetration, etc.
Center Court

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:16 am

lakerfan2 wrote:The Kobe System? :man10:

Pretty much, its still all starting with him.

Kobe system 2.0? :jam2:
phoenixrisingla

Postby Weezy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:35 am

davriver290 wrote:If they aren't running Mike's system, then thats a sign of a good coach. yes this season hasn't been impressive at all and our previous horrendous games are a testament to how bad this run n gun offense didn't work for us... But it shows that he was willing to adapt, and try something new.. Not a bad trait in a coach. Most are very stubborn and can only have it their way..

A good coach? How can you be a good coach when your team can't start winning until you get out of the way?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard