Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:37 am

Weezy wrote:
davriver290 wrote:If they aren't running Mike's system, then thats a sign of a good coach. yes this season hasn't been impressive at all and our previous horrendous games are a testament to how bad this run n gun offense didn't work for us... But it shows that he was willing to adapt, and try something new.. Not a bad trait in a coach. Most are very stubborn and can only have it their way..

A good coach? How can you be a good coach when your team can't start winning until you get out of the way?

I agree.

I've read a few articles this morning now and watched all the post game interviews yesterday, and for some reason I cant shake the feeling that the players made this change, not D'Antoni and he's still kinda trying to figure out what they're doing and whats going on.

Could be wrong, just my first impression.
phoenixrisingla

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:43 am

Well, I don't care who it was who decided to change the system. They need to continue to play this way to enhance their chances of winning & making the PO's. So, play inside-out, play defense and keep winning. Hopefully, MDA can continue to stay out the way...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:06 pm

Kobe called Phil.

Kobe: "yo Phil, we in trouble. Got a check with your name on it, $5M"

Phil: "Well that rock I got Jeanie was kind of $$$"

Kobe: "yo zen, I knew you always had my back"

Phil" "just wait until 11 rings comes out"

Kobe receives large unmarked package. He's at the practice facility late "taking shots". Once everyone clears out, he drops package on MDA's desk. Next morning MDA comes in.

MDA "well...golly, whats this here pacakge doin' on me desk?!"

MDA: "from anonymous? didn't see that one coming heheheh, is it christmas already?"

MDA opens package. Finds tons of game tape, scouting reports, suggested rotations, playbooks, and a copy of Sacred Hoops. He quickly packs everything up and throws it into his 1976 Phoenix orange Camaro.

MDA: "hey uhh Mitch, you know, the knee's kinda flaring up a bit, you know, I think imma give the guys practice off today, you know...give 'em a break, get 'em back in game shape"

Mitch calls Phil. His number is blocked.

MDA spends hours analyzing contents of the package at home. Still confused. Calls Bernie over. Bernie explains. Mike takes a long pause......."oh golly,thought I was just the offensive coordinator!"
"heheh fellas this is a lot harder than 2K13"

Mitch relieves MDA of his head coaching duties internally. Vouches to keep him on the sideline for team chemistry & image purposes.

Lakers win 2 games.
Chillbongo

Postby MC on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:08 am

Center Court wrote:

MDA is a great offensive coach... just because his system is the opposite of what we need doesn;t mean his system can't work.

ON a young team with a dynamic point guard/shooters/slashers/rebounders/runners, it works perfect and we've seen it work.

Let's say he was Minny's coach wwith Rubio/Shved/Williams/AK/Love, I think it'd work brilliantly.

MDA's problem is that just like in NY, he failed to adjust. Refused to adjust, and that make him a bad coach. (in my eyes). This is why under Bernie it worked. He let them play to their strengths. No x's o's. Just go play. When you have Nash/Kobe/MWP/Pau/Dwight//Jamison you have players who don't need to be chained and shackled to a system. Maybe this is MDA adjusting and he likes and wants this type of game. Maybe he's just kinda thrown his arms up and is letting them do whatever they want so long as he stops getting the heat. Either way, I like what we've seen.

I always said, this team at it's best with have a soccer feel to it. Lot of passing, ball movement, cutting, lobbing, open shots, penetration, etc.

We've seen it work? really? have you? until you win at the highest level playing playoff basketball your system has done jack s**t in my eyes..... and not just a 1 hit wonder either like Dallas did with the 2 corner 3 floor balance concept.... try winning 2 or 3 or going to 3 out 4 championships with it.....

His system relies on jump shooters hitting shots and nothing more...... if they are not his genius of doing things like 2 corner 3 set up floor balance wise or having more than 3 guys under the FT line when the shot goes up creates defensive liabilites no team or player combination can make up for....

Why is it that people can only understand the offensive end without the other side? do people honestly only know half court games and not the totality of it all?

It's mind boggling to me
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 pm

We have a perfect 9 man rotation going right now. Keep it up. :jam2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby DHL on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:02 pm

HEY I SHOULD PLAY JAMISON MORE THAN PAU - MIKE DANTONI
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:15 pm

Chris Duhon - DNP COACH'S DECISION
Darius Morris - DNP COACH'S DECISION

guy is finally starting to get it
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby kblo247 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:22 pm

[I'm just saying it had to be one or the other. Call the timeout and chew that 5 man group out, then send the, back to finish it.

if you're sending Nash and Kobe in after a half hour of rest in warm ups in real time, then you better be sending Metta and Pau in, the guys who have sacrificed pride. Pau is the sixth man, mike not like it, but he took it and is playing great. Metta has moved to PF and given guarding the best player for a guy who has made a career and living off his D. So you need to let the, close too not just say oh I know Kobe and Steve will hold it down no matter what.

It was a choice of two roads: accountability vs cohesion and somehow Pringles screwed up and went down neither path unlike Phil would've

It's not disrespect to Twan and Earl though
kblo247

Postby GoldHammish on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:25 pm

Doc Brown wrote:We have a perfect 9 man rotation going right now. Keep it up. :jam2:

Finally complete with the addition of Blake :jam2:

:man1:
GoldHammish

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:28 pm

GoldHammish wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:We have a perfect 9 man rotation going right now. Keep it up. :jam2:

Finally complete with the addition of Blake :jam2:

:man1:

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:29 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:Chris Duhon - DNP COACH'S DECISION
Darius Morris - DNP COACH'S DECISION

guy is finally starting to get it

They got only minutes because the guy he wanted to play was injured for the last 2 months

Gasol
Meeks
Blake
Jamison

We actually have a competent bench now
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Kit on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:29 pm

I wanted Pau to finish the game but they were stretching the floor like crazy so the lineup was understandable.
Kit

Postby Ariza68 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:38 pm

kblo247 wrote:[I'm just saying it had to be one or the other. Call the timeout and chew that 5 man group out, then send the, back to finish it.

if you're sending Nash and Kobe in after a half hour of rest in warm ups in real time, then you better be sending Metta and Pau in, the guys who have sacrificed pride. Pau is the sixth man, mike not like it, but he took it and is playing great. Metta has moved to PF and given guarding the best player for a guy who has made a career and living off his D. So you need to let the, close too not just say oh I know Kobe and Steve will hold it down no matter what.

It was a choice of two roads: accountability vs cohesion and somehow Pringles screwed up and went down neither path unlike Phil would've

It's not disrespect to Twan and Earl though

Exactly my own thoughts. He was an idiot at personnel management in New York and he's doing the same here.
Ariza68

Postby Center Court on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:40 am

MC wrote:
Center Court wrote:

MDA is a great offensive coach... just because his system is the opposite of what we need doesn;t mean his system can't work.

ON a young team with a dynamic point guard/shooters/slashers/rebounders/runners, it works perfect and we've seen it work.

Let's say he was Minny's coach wwith Rubio/Shved/Williams/AK/Love, I think it'd work brilliantly.

MDA's problem is that just like in NY, he failed to adjust. Refused to adjust, and that make him a bad coach. (in my eyes). This is why under Bernie it worked. He let them play to their strengths. No x's o's. Just go play. When you have Nash/Kobe/MWP/Pau/Dwight//Jamison you have players who don't need to be chained and shackled to a system. Maybe this is MDA adjusting and he likes and wants this type of game. Maybe he's just kinda thrown his arms up and is letting them do whatever they want so long as he stops getting the heat. Either way, I like what we've seen.

I always said, this team at it's best with have a soccer feel to it. Lot of passing, ball movement, cutting, lobbing, open shots, penetration, etc.

We've seen it work? really? have you? until you win at the highest level playing playoff basketball your system has done jack s**t in my eyes..... and not just a 1 hit wonder either like Dallas did with the 2 corner 3 floor balance concept.... try winning 2 or 3 or going to 3 out 4 championships with it.....

His system relies on jump shooters hitting shots and nothing more...... if they are not his genius of doing things like 2 corner 3 set up floor balance wise or having more than 3 guys under the FT line when the shot goes up creates defensive liabilites no team or player combination can make up for....

Why is it that people can only understand the offensive end without the other side? do people honestly only know half court games and not the totality of it all?

It's mind boggling to me

Maybe you just chose to selectively read but you missed the big point... he is a great offensive coach. I used the word offensive. OFFENSIVE. And it worked well. Just because they didn't win a ring doesnt mean it's a failed system... flawed, maybe. Besides all that, they could been one hip check away from the finals.

But besides Phil and Pop who's system has really worked this century? Brown? Spo/Jim Carry? They only did it once.
Center Court

Postby MC on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:44 am

Center Court wrote:
MC wrote:
Center Court wrote:

It's mind boggling to me

Maybe you just chose to selectively read but you missed the big point... he is a great offensive coach. I used the word offensive. OFFENSIVE. And it worked well. Just because they didn't win a ring doesnt mean it's a failed system... flawed, maybe. Besides all that, they could been one hip check away from the finals.

But besides Phil and Pop who's system has really worked this century? Brown? Spo/Jim Carry? They only did it once.

I would agree with you if we were talking about football where your offense along with personnel were separate from the defensive side of the ball but this is not football.

If you design an offense that has your pants down near your ankles if a the shot is missed you are NOT a great offensive coach.... you cannot just separate the two, offense and defense, in a sport like basketball..... you just can't.

So you can think he is a great "offensive" coach all you want........ the game is played equally on both sides of the ball, if you over compensate for one while creating a total liability to the other it does not make you a great anything.

You ask who's system besides Pop or Jackson this century?

You are asking yourself the wrong question than......

The question you should ask yourself is why this new philosophy of play while having no real legit success other than playing other teams that are running this flawed philosophy. Why move towards a style of play that has proven nothing this century or the last century? THAT is the real question here.

And my issue with that mental midget has nothing to do with playing small ball either..... it's about the philosophy of having 2 corner spot up shooters to space the floor with little player movement....... this is MDAs super aggressive philosophy, having a guy both strong side and weak side in the corners........ not all coaches running small lineups do this....... this is our super aggressive mental midget's philosophy and it is severely flawed for any combination of players creating liabilities threw the system rather than the talent itself.

If basketball is a game of chess....MDA's style is still playing checkers.....
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby bystander on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:25 am

There's no need for him to remove Pau from the starting lineup. Phil made Pau the focus of the second unit without doing that. With the second unit Pau was the focus on offense while he wasn't shooting more almost every play started with him in the post or the elbow and it worked.

The only reason to make Pau a 6th man is making him the scapegoat like MDA did since day 3.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby abeer3 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:03 am

so, jamison was in the game in the 4th to match up for...defensive purposes? meanwhile, ryan anderson went bananas? anderson could have gone bananas on pau, and maybe the lakers could have scored some on the other end.

this clown would have been fired had the front office not already fired another mistake of a coaching hire just three months ago. and i'm serious about that.

i can't think of a single thing he's done that i like. the players had to revolt to get the offense working more effectively, and his big discovery (earl clark) was born of pure necessity. dude never would have seen the floor had hill stayed healthy.

i was never impressed with him in phx; my opinion was validated in ny, and now it's even more obvious that he's simply not a good coach.

the team will have to win despite him.
abeer3

Postby LooN3y on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:32 am

abeer3 wrote:so, jamison was in the game in the 4th to match up for...defensive purposes? meanwhile, ryan anderson went bananas? anderson could have gone bananas on pau, and maybe the lakers could have scored some on the other end.

this clown would have been fired had the front office not already fired another mistake of a coaching hire just three months ago. and i'm serious about that.

i can't think of a single thing he's done that i like. the players had to revolt to get the offense working more effectively, and his big discovery (earl clark) was born of pure necessity. dude never would have seen the floor had hill stayed healthy.

i was never impressed with him in phx; my opinion was validated in ny, and now it's even more obvious that he's simply not a good coach.

the team will have to win despite him.

pau wouldnt of been guarding ryan anderson, it would of been ron, earl, or jami
LooN3y

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:46 am

I can only say that he sure does know how to "discover" good players and magnify their talent... Nash in Phoenix, Lin in NY, and now Clark in here (hopefully he keeps it up and become a star)
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:02 am

Man, this guy can't catch a break with some of you. Try to be objective on this one. I know it's easy to put your hate first, but try to think critically.

Jamison was having a VERY good game. He was active offensively and working hard. Was he shutting down Ryan Andersen? Hell no, but he was giving it his all and was a bigger mismatch for him on the offensive end. Pau wouldn't have done a whole hell of a lot better.

Sometimes you reward guys for working hard. Earl played one of his best games as a Laker, and frankly as an NBA player, and so he got to finish the game.

It's a great team building exercise to allow these guys to play out the game. They worked to earn that right and D'Antoni left them out there to accomplish what they had to accomplish. Whether they'd win or lose, we'd see them build character. It's not a whole lot different than what Phil used to do when our bench guys were getting run and he put the responsibility on them to pull us back out again. it gives them an opportunity to grow as a team and as individuals.

The one complaint I can understand is reinserting Kobe and Nash. That might have been a mistake because those guys were ice cold and we were still up by double digits if I recall. But then again, we won the game, so maybe it was important to have those to in.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:16 am

What's funny to me about the game last night; that's a microcosm of how we played during the season. Fall behind just like the Hornets/Pelicans, come back late in the 4th quarter and still lose the game; It's feels good to be on the winnng end.

Anyways, D'Antoni did a decent job last night. He kept Kobe under 35 minutes which is a testament to how good our 2nd unit was doing last night. The Hornets went small trying to space the floor, so MDA countered attempting to matchup. We won a game we desperately needed.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:38 am

therealdeal wrote:Man, this guy can't catch a break with some of you. Try to be objective on this one. I know it's easy to put your hate first, but try to think critically.

Jamison was having a VERY good game. He was active offensively and working hard. Was he shutting down Ryan Andersen? Hell no, but he was giving it his all and was a bigger mismatch for him on the offensive end. Pau wouldn't have done a whole hell of a lot better.

Sometimes you reward guys for working hard. Earl played one of his best games as a Laker, and frankly as an NBA player, and so he got to finish the game.

It's a great team building exercise to allow these guys to play out the game. They worked to earn that right and D'Antoni left them out there to accomplish what they had to accomplish. Whether they'd win or lose, we'd see them build character. It's not a whole lot different than what Phil used to do when our bench guys were getting run and he put the responsibility on them to pull us back out again. it gives them an opportunity to grow as a team and as individuals.

The one complaint I can understand is reinserting Kobe and Nash. That might have been a mistake because those guys were ice cold and we were still up by double digits if I recall. But then again, we won the game, so maybe it was important to have those to in.

Pretty much have to agree. Just like in the Pau thread where many posters are jumping on what he said and saying to trade him. We've got seemingly two factions now - the Pau haters and the D' Antoni haters. Clearly I'm more in the second camp than the first. But even though I dislike D' Antoni coaching this team, he's what we have right now and we seem to have crossed that bridge. I was calling for his head, but since we've dropped his system I'm much happier. Let the players play. That's a good thing. And keeping him as figure head is better than firing him this season if he's going to basically do a Bernie type of thing.

I still don't love his rotations at times, and I definitely would have preferred Pau out there in the end. But I get that rationale that he was trying to match up with the smaller squad. I don't think it was ideal as Jamison started to lose steam I thought and Pau's defense is better than his.

But you have to give D' Antoni some leeway in figuring this thing out. I questioned Phil's rotations at times, too.

We got the win, so bottom line is - it worked. So it doesn't matter what some of us preferred. D' Antoni got the result.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 am

^ Yeah I'm seeing more of a Phil quality in him in this "system" in that he's just a guide.

If I'm going to give Kobe and Nash and Howard and Pau a ton of credit for adjusting, I'll give him the same honor. He's willing to drop his system and just be the guy motivating, rotating, building team unity, and occasionally drawing up out of bounds plays. That's all we can ask.

That's all some us asked from Bernie.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:06 am

bystander wrote:There's no need for him to remove Pau from the starting lineup. Phil made Pau the focus of the second unit without doing that. With the second unit Pau was the focus on offense while he wasn't shooting more almost every play started with him in the post or the elbow and it worked.

The only reason to make Pau a 6th man is making him the scapegoat like MDA did since day 3.

Can't agree, Pau can't play those type of minutes anymore, he can't play starting PF, keep playing, and slide right over to backup C. When will he rest if he does this? Who will play backup C when he goes out, Sacre? :hurl: We have no Jordan Hill, we didn't sign anyone else, if Pau doesn't play backup C off the bench we have no one. This is not making him the scapegoat, this is giving him opportunity to flourish. You need to stop looking at what's best for Pau and look at what's best for the team. It's like if Kobe first fans were complaining that Kobe isn't getting to score enough right now. Who cares, we're winning.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:19 am

Weezy wrote:
bystander wrote:There's no need for him to remove Pau from the starting lineup. Phil made Pau the focus of the second unit without doing that. With the second unit Pau was the focus on offense while he wasn't shooting more almost every play started with him in the post or the elbow and it worked.

Can't agree, Pau can't play those type of minutes anymore, he can't play starting PF, keep playing, and slide right over to backup C. When will he rest if he does this? Who will play backup C when he goes out, Sacre? :hurl: We have no Jordan Hill, we didn't sign anyone else, if Pau doesn't play backup C off the bench we have no one. This is not making him the scapegoat, this is giving him opportunity to flourish. You need to stop looking at what's best for Pau and look at what's best for the team. It's like if Kobe first fans were complaining that Kobe isn't getting to score enough right now. Who cares, we're winning.

Besides, Pau has looked fantastic off the bench. He's looked better than he has since the 2011 regular season.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard