Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:51 pm

bystander wrote:There's no need for him to remove Pau from the starting lineup. Phil made Pau the focus of the second unit without doing that. With the second unit Pau was the focus on offense while he wasn't shooting more almost every play started with him in the post or the elbow and it worked.

The only reason to make Pau a 6th man is making him the scapegoat like MDA did since day 3.

Pau isn't a very useful player when the offense isn't being ran through him.. Earl Clark plays better off the ball making things happen with no plays called. D'antoni is right.
lakersin4

Postby borri on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:06 pm

I swear, we look a heck of alot like the team that went 4-1 under Bernie.............
borri

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:16 pm

In D'Antoni's system, Nash ran the offense, and we found out that he's too old for that.

In the new system, Kobe runs the offense, with Nash as a passing SG.

That's the big adjustment.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:17 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ Yeah I'm seeing more of a Phil quality in him in this "system" in that he's just a guide.

If I'm going to give Kobe and Nash and Howard and Pau a ton of credit for adjusting, I'll give him the same honor. He's willing to drop his system and just be the guy motivating, rotating, building team unity, and occasionally drawing up out of bounds plays. That's all we can ask.

That's all some us asked from Bernie.

Wasn't this change stemming from Bryant's comment after the four game freefall that the system in place was not working? D'Antoni could NOT adjust it to fit HIS vision so the players as a collective did the work for him. What I like about him is that he did not combat it by being stubborn. I'm sure D'Antoni still has some influence though tempered a bit but at least there is some mediation between both parties.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:44 pm

Yes most likely Bryant's comments had a lot to do with the change. But that's not to take away credit from D'Antoni for getting out of the way and allowing his system to fall to the side.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:55 pm

therealdeal wrote:Yes most likely Bryant's comments had a lot to do with the change. But that's not to take away credit from D'Antoni for getting out of the way and allowing his system to fall to the side.

Agreed...on not having his ego and pride being a huge hurdle.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:57 pm

gcclaker wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Yes most likely Bryant's comments had a lot to do with the change. But that's not to take away credit from D'Antoni for getting out of the way and allowing his system to fall to the side.

Or at least a hurdle that was finally cleared. :man10:

All of them!

I remember calling for sacrifice all season long and we finally got it from everybody. Winning cures all, so hopefully they can continue to suck it up and play this way.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:14 pm

They finally get back to Bickerstaff ball.
lotus

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:05 pm

gcclaker wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ Yeah I'm seeing more of a Phil quality in him in this "system" in that he's just a guide.

If I'm going to give Kobe and Nash and Howard and Pau a ton of credit for adjusting, I'll give him the same honor. He's willing to drop his system and just be the guy motivating, rotating, building team unity, and occasionally drawing up out of bounds plays. That's all we can ask.

That's all some us asked from Bernie.

Wasn't this change stemming from Bryant's comment after the four game freefall that the system in place was not working? D'Antoni could NOT adjust it to fit HIS vision so the players as a collective did the work for him. What I like about him is that he did not combat it by being stubborn. I'm sure D'Antoni still has some influence though tempered a bit but at least there is some mediation between both parties.

I think this. I also think, and it is kind of ironic, since by accounts Dan called the air it out meeting in Memphis, because he was tired of hearing the players comment on disliking what he was asking them to do in HIS system, and as long as everyone was airing it out, letting it fly and taking some back themselves, he was fair game too with HIS system that sucked for THIS team. It's quite possible he got waaay more than HE bargained for.

What's puzzling though is the timing of subsequent reports. Shortly after Kobe is vocally saying in interviews that they are a low post, half court, old, post up "skilled" team. And real shortly after that, same day or next day it comes out that Mitch and Jimbo had met with him (Dan) with their vote of confidence. And Dan then says to the press he has no intention of changing what he wants to do. The quotes are out there.

They have been playing the way the "smartest guy in the room" now (that Phil is gone)....(Kobe) wants to play. With the other equally smartest guy in the room (not Dan) ....Nash helping create this beautiful, hybrid kind of thing we are seeing. :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTLakerFan

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:12 pm

therealdeal wrote:
gcclaker wrote:

Or at least a hurdle that was finally cleared. :man10:

All of them!

I remember calling for sacrifice all season long and we finally got it from everybody. Winning cures all, so hopefully they can continue to suck it up and play this way.

^^ I agree. It's interesting. All of them are sacrificing (with the possible exception of Artest who should be). D' Antoni has sacrificed his system. Kobe has sacrificed his scoring. Nash has sacrificed a lot of his PG duties and time on ball running the offense. Howard has sacrificed the idea of getting a lot of post play (more lobs). Pau has sacrificed by coming off the bench. Now Artest needs to sacrifice some of his one on one play and we'll be even better.

Ultimately we are winning with these sacrifices. So hopefully they keep this up and make the playoffs.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:14 pm

^ Artest WAS sacrificing with his off the bench production... Now we're winning, he's in the starting lineup, and he looks weird again. Like his head isn't always on tight.

It's weird how he can go from great performance, great performance, great performance, to what he did last night where he laid an egg.

I think his sacrifice is coming. He's got to understand that just because he's being asked to relegate his offense to corner threes, doesn't make him less important than the rest of the team. He doesn't HAVE to take his man to the hole. He's one of the worst ball-stoppers in the NBA when he gets it sometimes.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:26 pm

I really don't want to expand on Laker talk especially when I'm ecstatic about the 9ers SB bid and especially since we really don't know what this team is really made of till the playoffs start. We're seeing some improvement and hope...finally...but its still a long road to rectify this travesty.

I've been a staunch prognosticator of how terrible of a coaching hire this was and I don't really intend to keep burying D'Antoni, but let's make no mistake about D'Antoni being neutered by management when they came out and "supported" him after meeting with him. This came fresh off of Kobe's comments about things needing to change, Howard openly expressing that he didn't believe in the system along with Pau expressing how he was not being utilized properly. Even Nash implied that he would change up his approach for something that would work for the team.

Kobe is operating from the the elbow and using how the defense defends him to get open looks for his guys. We're getting our bigs where they like the ball and the offense is definitely noticeably going inside out more.

That has nothing to do with D'Antoni's system. It didn't work and now we're relying on our talented team to do what they are comfortable with to at least make a playoff bid.

Also notice the rotations. D'Antoni is known for shortening his rotations, but has opened it up after "the meeting." We essentially have a lame duck coach that can't be fired due to save face, compensation and PR. Like others have said before me....we're going to try to win in spite of this guy. I'm sure he was "persuaded" to stay the f out of the way and let the team try to play to their comforts.

Dude gets paid to pretty much monitor minutes and stay the f out of the way. I'm definitely in the wrong profession.

EDIT: Thanks Punk :man9:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby D.B. Cooper on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:29 pm

^
Good post.
D.B. Cooper

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:31 pm

"proponent" = supporter, Vash. :man12:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Whoops...haha. I'm getting my coaches mixed up....I did mention the 9ers. :man1:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:43 pm

This roster is built for MDA's style of ball, oh wait... Nash at SG and more low-post play?
charvin

Postby WilliamHaven on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:07 pm

Good job not playing Jamison at all in the 4th (even after Dwight was out) when he had the hot hand all game. 5-6 for 13 points in 12 minutes....meanwhile ron and ear were a combined 7-21

Brilliant!!!!!!!
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby noobiew on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:09 pm

Please Jerry, Jimbo and Mitch, come on now ! Fire D'Antoni, enough is enough ! :bang:

Offensive genius, showtime II basketball my *** ! :bang:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby DHL on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:11 pm

MAYBE I SHOULD CONTINUE TO SINGLE COVERAGE MICHAEL BEASLEY - DANTONI
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:13 pm

Pau shouldn't have gotten the benefit of the doubt to close the game after he started so terrible. He needs to play guys based on how they're producing, not how they complain in the media.
lakersin4

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:15 pm

why didnt he put clark on beasley. a much faster defender and longer. beasley wasnt muscling metta or anything just beating him off the dribble and clark would have been a much better choice after metta got beat the first 6 times. why didnt he switch that. scola wasnt doing anything that game and metta would have been fine on him. stupid choice clark could have done much better especially since metta couldnt rely on dwight to help
Ariza3

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Fu** this pu**y for leaving pau in and benching jamison when tawn was scorching the suns. GROW SOME DAMN BALLS DANTONI! FU & PU**Y A** PAU!

EDIT: You are free to be ticked off, but not free to bypass the site's swear filter multiple times in one post. - TIME

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:22 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:Fu** this pu**y for leaving pau in and benching jamison when tawn was scorching the suns. GROW SOME DAMN BALLS DANTONI! FU & PU**Y A** PAU!

To be fair, it's not like Jamison can play C, Pau would still have to be out there. Also, maybe 'Antoni was giving Pau his wish to be out there so he'd shut up going forward.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:25 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:Fu** this pu**y for leaving pau in and benching jamison when tawn was scorching the suns. GROW SOME DAMN BALLS DANTONI! FU & PU**Y A** PAU!

:man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby WilliamHaven on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:29 pm

Weezy wrote:

To be fair, it's not like Jamison can play C, Pau would still have to be out there. Also, maybe 'Antoni was giving Pau his wish to be out there so he'd shut up going forward.

No, you put him in for Ron or Earl who were bricking open shots (Ron primarily).
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard