Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:35 am

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:He takes credit for all of the adjustments. Were they his idea, because it looks to me that he's just passively letting the team figure it out.

I don't see how he could take credit.. Kobe laid it all out in that interview he gave where he talked about the spots they're all effective in.
lakersin4

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:17 am

I know. But it sounds in the interview like he's in control. He's a big talker, obviously.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby XXIV on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:06 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:I know. But it sounds in the interview like he's in control. He's a big talker, obviously.

Well he has to act like he's involved in some part, it's all act at this point.
XXIV

Postby DarthRekal on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:18 pm

garbage
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby BDG on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:28 pm

Chris Broussard just asked Dwight Howard "What's your team's identity?"

And Dwight smiled and said, "We're still trying to figure that out."

LOL what a horrible coaching hire.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:31 pm

They're not going to figure it out if they haven't yet. 'Antoni has been here long enough to create an identity for the team, unfortunately the identity is "loser". Whatever he's preached isn't getting to the players, they all have different ideas of what's best to do, the coach seems to have very little control here. And for Dwight to say stuff like that he clearly has no respect for the coach.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby SpencerHarrison on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:52 pm

BDG wrote:Chris Broussard just asked Dwight Howard "What's your team's identity?"

To be fair, I wouldn't expect an intelligent or selfless answer out of Dwight. For as long as he's been in the league, that fool knows the right answer to that question. Just throw out anything about executing, hustling, defending, etc. Whatever.

Moron.
SpencerHarrison

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:22 pm

This hire literally killed our season....true story!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby MC on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:22 am

Vasashi17 wrote:This hire literally killed our season....true story!

My name is MC and I absolutely approve this message!

-------

Majority of coaches by the time they get to this level all understand the Xs and Os..... there is very little difference in that regard.

What makes or breaks a coach at this level is philosophy and ability to handle personalities....

This coach has been a fraud for a long time now, since his final year as Suns coach when Kerr tried to force him to run a more traditional lineup and offense......... unfortunately the Lakers right now have an even bigger fraud as President of Basketball Operations so instead of understanding the previous point we are doomed to repeat the mistake NY made.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Nikez on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:24 pm

SpencerHarrison wrote:
BDG wrote:Chris Broussard just asked Dwight Howard "What's your team's identity?"

To be fair, I wouldn't expect an intelligent or selfless answer out of Dwight. For as long as he's been in the league, that fool knows the right answer to that question. Just throw out anything about executing, hustling, defending, etc. Whatever.

Moron.

He's telling it how it is. Just because he's never PC doesn't make him a moron.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby TheOp on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:49 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:This hire literally killed our season....true story!

Im tired of people using this argument. Even if MDA is a horrible coach, its up to the players to at least put up somewhat of an effort. Most of our games have been pathetic, take this Clippers game the other night. Do you not think MDA was telling them to close out on the shooters? Even if he didnt mention it, its common sense. Instead we get lit up by leaving guys wide OPEN for 3 and not running back. They are just playing idiotic basketball, if they cant figure this out on their own why are they in the NBA? A casual fan with zero bball iq knows not to leave wet shooters wide open.

MDA has won 60+ games with less talent then what we have now. He does have his faults, but Dwight is a primadonna. His attitude and pathetic play have killed this teams spirit. I dont buy hes doing his part cause hes putting up decent numbers, hes way inconsistent, im talking Lamar Odom inconsistent. One night wel get a spirited active Dwight, the next hes getting dominated on the boards, getting stripped every time with the ball, making careless plays, smiling when were down 30 etc. Even if we had Phil or any different coach, Dwight is a clown and has proven this with other coaches (see Stan Van Gundy).
TheOp

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm tired of people drowning in the Nile...

Where's the Hof when you need him!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby SpencerHarrison on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:57 pm

To be fair, I actually think D'Antoni came in to a tough situation and has done some good things. He had the balls to move Pau into a 6th man role, and get clark with the starters. That is a MASSIVE coaching decision, and I think he made the tough, correct call.

He's also adjusted his offensive expectations and let the players work to their strengths. I can't say what's been going on behind the scenes, but this season has been chaotic and crazy enough to test even the best coaches. D'Antoni isn't the guy going forward, but he's not the joke that people make him out to be.
SpencerHarrison

Postby lakersfever on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:05 pm

like mike (brown)
lakersfever

Postby sina on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:46 pm

In MDA's system, pg is better surround by 4 capable scorers who know where they can score consistently. However, both Dwight and MWP are still fail to do this. Dwight always appears in somewhere he isn't ready to catch and dunk immediately and MWP is always trying to hit 3 pointers instead of somewhere he can score consistently. I suggest to replace either one by Pau or Jamison. Meeks is another player who doesn't know his own strength.

Besides, Dwight is a defensive center with limited scoring skill. He is better playing pick and roll with a scoring pg. However, Nash isn't a scoring pg, neither Blake. And Kobe doesn't need/like pick and roll. Thus Dwight's influence to the game are limited without a scoring pg and sharp shooters.

To me, our best lineup combinations are:

Pau
Jamison/ Clark
MWP
Bryant
Nash

(Better with a more talent SF like Paul Goerge, Deng...)

Or:
Dwight
Jamison/ Clark
?
Kobe
??

(Better with a scoring pg who need screen. This lineup also need more fire power from SF)
sina

Postby Tragic on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:54 pm

DarthRekal wrote:garbage
Tragic

Postby purp n gold on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Garbage? Garbage.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby TaniBoyz on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:35 am

so we're talking about garbage?
yep he's garbage
TaniBoyz

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:49 am

It seems all the Buss' wanted to screw Phil, not just Jeannie, in the end, we all got screwed. :bang:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby MC on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:09 am

The Op -

no offense but I'm not sure you could be more wrong...........

MDA has said that post play is in-efficient

Jackson runs this offense called the triple POST offense

MDA has zero rings and zero finals appearances

Jackson has more final appearances than you have fingers and a ring for every one of them including his thumbs

If you don't think that affects a big man or any stars willingness to absorb the message than you must be analyzing the situation from your PlayStation 3 or something.....

I agree with you in an ideal sense that professionals should be in tune regardless of the message but we are dealing with human beings with very dynamic psychological variables...... not pixels or robots...... fact that cannot be ignored with blinders on.

You are trying to defend a coach here and place blame on personnel rather than looking at it from a common sense perspective IMO.......... my question to you is how many guys have to be unhappy playing for a coach trying to force a system that doesn't maximize guys strengths before accepting that the coach was just not a very good fit........... How do players that have had more success than the coach follow the message of a coach? worked for the Suns with a bunch of guys that had never won a thing but did you honestly think it would work with players that have won MULTIPLE titles and have reached higher ground than the coach EVER has playing good fundamental basketball rather than gimmick ball that the new coach preaches?.......

Too bad the owner and his boy put ego ahead of winning.......... that is how empires collapse.........
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:51 am

If Phil asked for all that he reported to have asked for, then I can see the FO's hesistance. BUT, Jerry Sloan would've been a much better hire.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby borri on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:38 pm

While I agree with the horrible coaching hire. I disagree with D12 completely.

We DO have an identity.

Kobe facilitates. Nash sometimes, now he's more of an offensive threat. Earl hustles. MWP stinks. And D12, your job is to play D, set screens and pick and roll with Nash. Move without the ball like Earl does.

That's what we do. D12 doesn't like it so he doesn't think/know of the team identity.

D12 wants what he had in ORL. Why did he leave in the first place?

PRIMADONNA. That's what he is.
borri

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:43 pm

Dwight had this delusion that we would be winning games easily and was willing to not "be the man" so long as we were winning. Since it didn't turn out that way he has basically tried to blame everyone but himself for why it's not working and thinks we would be better if the offense ran through him. He's a total moron
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby noobiew on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Fire Antoni now ! ASAP !
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby ZenMaster4President on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:23 pm

Well, it now makes those 2 MVPs Steve got much more deserved. It was all him, clearly.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard