Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Why the front office do some research tonight and find an assistant coach thats been around Thibs or Pop for a few years and throw some cash at him to come and give this team something to do when they dont have possession of the ball? Because clearly MDA is either not interested or unable to get this team to play D.

What a waste.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby JSM on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:59 pm

I don't understand why people are ever surprised a D'Antoni team doesn't play D. Does anyone remember watching Pringles in Phoenix? His idea of defense is just score more points than the other team...put the ball in the hole and the rest will work itself out.

Do yall remember this story from Jalen Rose regarding the 07 Suns as they prepared for the Spurs in the playoffs?
according to Rose, the team arrives for the pre-Spurs series practice and it consisted of D'Antoni giving a speech that this team has it what it takes to beat them. The coaching staff showed an inspirational video and the message basically was - let's just stick to our guns and out-score them. So the meeting/practice (I suppose it was a practice session, however, it's playoff time, so they probably just had a shootaround and that's it) is about to end on that note and the veterans, Jalen Rose and Kurt Thomas, obviously are thinking - what the heck was that. So they speak up and ask D'Antoni whether we have a plan for guarding their pick-n-roll or Tim Duncan. His response basically was - nah, we don't have to worry about the Spurs, let's just play our game. Rose added that in his time at Phoenix, D'Antoni probably couldn't be able to answer any kind of questions about the defensive strategies. There were assistants who focused on that part of the game and I suppose that they gave some pointers, however, D'Antoni is still the head coach, so I can imagine that at the end of the day his gameplan basically didn't involve anything regarding the defensive strategies.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:04 pm

I want to give him a little credit for finally drawing up a play that was big down the stretch. That out of bounds play where we tricked the entire Hornets team into lining up the wrong way... :man10:

That was hilarious. And it was actually a nice little coaching touch from him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:09 pm

If that play was designed by him it was awesome.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:13 pm

therealdeal wrote:I want to give him a little credit for finally drawing up a play that was big down the stretch. That out of bounds play where we tricked the entire Hornets team into lining up the wrong way... :man10:

Yep I agree. That was so embarassingly stupid on the Pelicans' part that I'll chalk it up to a good call on Pringles part for exploiting them.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:27 pm

therealdeal wrote:I want to give him a little credit for finally drawing up a play that was big down the stretch. That out of bounds play where we tricked the entire Hornets team into lining up the wrong way... :man10:

This. Was going to post the same thing.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:27 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:

Yep I agree. That was so embarassingly stupid on the Pelicans' part that I'll chalk it up to a good call on Pringles part for exploiting them.

Definitely something you throw at a young team. :man10:

If he had tried that against San Antonio there's not a chance in hell that works.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 pm

Anyone have video of that last play? I was fooled too lol

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:51 am

ill give him credit on that inbounds play. that was pretty clever and fooled me for a quick second. we should try it again if need be just run fast than them and set a screen or something before the inbounds.

besides that i do think hes an idiot. his ability to coach D is beyond terrible. and even worse to coach this talent. pretty sure the other guys are gunna listen to kobe nash or dwight over him anyways.

in that possession where dwight got the huge block on sideshow bob...he didnt even try to call timeout...it was kobe who was smart enough to call it to get dwight out of the game. he was just gunna let them bring it up court and let them foul it seems. just stupid bc if kobe didnt do that dwight prob would have missed both FT's and that awesome inbounds play would never have happened. cant believe he didnt even try to call it bc i was screaming to call it quickly and he didnt try and not a single assistant coach even got up to try to call it.

idk if the rules are only a player can call it at that time or something but if not than hes an idiot and kobe bailed him out
Ariza3

Postby JSM on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:28 am

^ Also down the stretch, Kobe and Dwight each ran the huddle during timeouts. Sometimes I'm not sure if D'Antoni understands the point of timeouts
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:41 am

He knows when to call them, but once the players get over there I'm not sure he tells them anything. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:43 am

JSM wrote:^ Also down the stretch, Kobe and Dwight each ran the huddle during timeouts. Sometimes I'm not sure if D'Antoni understands the point of timeouts

"They are scoring too many points guys. We have to play better if we want to win this game. Move the ball, move the ball, let's go, let's go, let's go."

There.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby jbiggs on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:06 am

The Rock wrote:Anyone have video of that last play? I was fooled too lol

KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:25 pm

There's no way D'Antoni drew up that play right?

Bernie :man1:
Chillbongo

Postby gcclaker on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:00 pm

Chillbongo wrote:There's no way D'Antoni drew up that play right?

Bernie :man1:

...well, Bickerstaff recalled it from his Naismith days. :man10: Stuff NEVER gets old for me thanks to Eddie Jordan.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Coach Chris on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:36 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Tobias Funke wrote:

Definitely something you throw at a young team. :man10:

If he had tried that against San Antonio there's not a chance in hell that works.

Try that against any real NBA team and it doesn't work.
Dr. Jerry Buss
January 27, 1933 - February 18, 2013
Coach Chris

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:38 pm

New Orleans IS a real NBA team. Just because they're young doesn't mean they can't win a game. They've got some legitimate young talent over there.

There's only a handful of teams that aren't "real NBA" teams in the history of the league. The most recent was that Cleveland team that was basically all D-Leaguers because of injuries.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:58 pm

Hornets beat the Clippers without Gordon. We beat them

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby showtime32 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Whilst last nights game was a lot of fun to watch in the second half, I just cringe at how much this team relies on the 3-ball. Really the only guy that gets into the paint is Kobe, and even then, unless he sets up Dwight or makes a bucket, its a 3 going up.
-------
Work like you don't need the money,
Sing like nobody's listening,
Dance like nobody's watching,
Love like you've never been hurt,
Live like Earth is Heaven.
showtime32

Postby The Rock on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:25 pm

showtime32 wrote:Whilst last nights game was a lot of fun to watch in the second half, I just cringe at how much this team relies on the 3-ball. Really the only guy that gets into the paint is Kobe, and even then, unless he sets up Dwight or makes a bucket, its a 3 going up.

an open shot is an open shot at the end of the day, its not like we're the Warriors and Rockets who just come down the floor and jack up shots, our 3s are generated from the doubles Dwight, Kobe and Nash generate. Simple basketball really

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby KB24 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:35 am

showtime32 wrote:Whilst last nights game was a lot of fun to watch in the second half, I just cringe at how much this team relies on the 3-ball. Really the only guy that gets into the paint is Kobe, and even then, unless he sets up Dwight or makes a bucket, its a 3 going up.

I agree. But it seems the inside out game doesn't work in todays era anymore.

The 3 pointer, transition basketball and the P&R dominate about 95% of all offenses. The 3 ball is just too effective if you have an offense that creates open shots. Isolations are also an option, but only few teams can afford them or have a player that can exploit his defender consistently. Unfortunetly mid-range game and post play are the odd man out. Obviously its very tough to accumulate enough talent to master all those areas.

It seems athletes are dime a dozen and 3 point shooters are "cheap". You look at the great midrange shooters (Kobe, Melo, Paul etc.) and they are expensive and rare. So naturally teams gravitate to the other end of the spectrum....players that can defend, play full court pressure and run...and guys that have a quick and accurate release. Its not as much fun to watch.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Finwë on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:00 pm

therealdeal wrote:New Orleans IS a real NBA team. Just because they're young doesn't mean they can't win a game. They've got some legitimate young talent over there.

There's only a handful of teams that aren't "real NBA" teams in the history of the league. The most recent was that Cleveland team that was basically all D-Leaguers because of injuries.

I read that they were a .500 team since Gordon came back (12-12), before losing to us.

They've beaten teams like the Spurs and the Celtics.. I don't think saying "they aren't a real NBA team" is warranted at all..

The other day I read a tweet that said because of the way they've been playing at home of late, losses on the road against teams like the Wizards, the Hornets or the Cavs shouldn't really be considered baaad losses, and I agree.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby 432J on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:13 pm

The Rock wrote:Hornets beat the Clippers without Gordon. We beat them

i have a feeling that's because the clippers took a page out of the 08-09 and 09-10 lakers book and played down to a lesser opponent
432J

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:New Orleans IS a real NBA team. Just because they're young doesn't mean they can't win a game. They've got some legitimate young talent over there.

I read that they were a .500 team since Gordon came back (12-12), before losing to us.

They've beaten teams like the Spurs and the Celtics.. I don't think saying "they aren't a real NBA team" is warranted at all..

The other day I read a tweet that said because of the way they've been playing at home of late, losses on the road against teams like the Wizards, the Hornets or the Cavs shouldn't really be considered baaad losses, and I agree.

They as in the Lakers?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:18 pm

^

They as in the Pelicans.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard