Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:20 pm

I meant that last paragraph:
The other day I read a tweet that said because of the way they've been playing at home of late, losses on the road against teams like the Wizards, the Hornets or the Cavs shouldn't really be considered baaad losses, and I agree.

They = Lakers, right?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:28 pm

They = Cavs, Hornets, Wizards
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:11 pm

That doesn't make sense! I'm losing it here!
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:19 pm

They= them there who did that there with that thing at that time that it was needed.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:53 pm

therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:38 pm

:man10:

Looks like he's saying that the Cavs, Hornets and Wizards have been more competitive at home as of late, so losing in their building isn't quite as pathetic as people think.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Lakers get everyone's A-game. Wins are harder for that reason. But the lack of defensive effort is inexcusable. But professional players, especially professional role players, should be expected to bring the defensive effort every night. They're role players, so they shouldn't expect to be featured in the offense. They should expect that Kobe, one of the greatest players of all time, will get most of the shots while they do the dirty work. I think that Kobe suffers from the bad image he has in the media, where he's portrayed as selfish. This causes his teammates to get upset over his dominance of the offense, at what they perceive as their expense, when really they should be happy to be playing with him. MJ's teammates didn't demand more shots, and neither do LeBron's.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby khmrP on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:27 pm

I haven't posted much in Antoni thread but wow does this guy not give a rats arse bout Defense.....Meeks is getting abused every SINGLE possesion but because of his "floor spacing" he gets to play regardless all the meanwhile he can't hit a shot to save his life either
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:28 pm

Earl Clark wasn't any better IMO we gave up 37 points with Clark in the game in 1st Quarter, end of the 1st Q Derozan blew right by him for a layup. Sadly Meeks got abused I dont think it would've been any different with Clark in there

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Ras Algethi on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:29 pm

Serious wtf is he thinking keeping Meeks in there when he's not contributing anything on offense. Was an absolute defensive liability. And even if you insist on keeping him in there, ever heard of offensive/defensive subsitutions when there's a dead ball? :bang:
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:30 pm

his refusal to make adjustments in OT was a little alarming.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:32 pm

khmrP wrote:I haven't posted much in Antoni thread but wow does this guy not give a rats arse bout Defense.....Meeks is getting abused every SINGLE possesion but because of his "floor spacing" he gets to play regardless all the meanwhile he can't hit a shot to save his life either

Truly he does not . . . Mike Antoni no D for good reason. The last few games they have looked EVERY BIT the Mike Antoni team. Trying to simply outscore the opponent. Complete lack of defensive cohesion and concept. It's horrible to watch.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:35 pm

playing meeks almost cost us the game. and it wouldve if gay wasnt absolutely sucking the entire game.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby venky on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:35 pm

What a worthless coach. Absolute garbage.
venky

Postby LakerFanIam on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:38 pm

That was horrible coaching... D'Antoni & Meeks both owe Kobe their jobs
LakerFanIam

Postby Tobias Funke on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:12 am

Considering he's just gonna let Kobe (and Nash) do their thing, what was the point of hiring this guy and basically sacrificing any hope of seeing any effective defensive strategy.....or rather any defensive strategy at all.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if his defensive coaching begins and ends with him telling the players "we gotta get stops!".

Tobias Funke

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 am

lakersyunowin wrote:his refusal to make adjustments in OT was a little alarming.

I've seen games this year where he didn't make in-game adjustments. It's not surprising...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby The Rock on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:29 am

https://twitter.com/forumbluegold/status/310302089379205121

For all the grief MDA gets, he rode his hot lineup tonight to a win. 19 minutes of Nash/Meeks/Kobe/Ron/Dwight: OEff of 120.4, DEff of 101.2

https://twitter.com/forumbluegold/status/310305282804809729

Getting a lot of "Meeks was bad on D comments". Okay. Lineup w/ Clark instead of Meeks played 10 minutes: DEff of 133.3. Just saying.

9 out of 10 times I'd prefer Clark over Meeks on D but not tonight, Earl had nothing going for him so good on MDA to stick with that lineup

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Enforcer on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:38 am

I'm actually liking what I've been seeing from D'Antoni. I still don't hate the hiring, nobody ever questioned his genius and understanding of the game.
Enforcer

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:46 am

Useless coach ... "fortunately" the roster is flawed so he isn't wasting a real shot at a title
wcsoldier81

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:52 am

He is a truly good offensive coach. But sometimes I believe he's delusional when it comes to defense. I think he believes that defense is not important when the offense is really clicking. Whenever his Suns teams would lose a playoff game, he would say that they lost because they didn't play well. It was that same belief that if they ran their offense and hit their shots, it didn't matter what they did on defense. I don't have any other explanation for why he ignored the Meeks mismatch on defense, especially since he wasn't even hot offensively. It's like he was ignoring defense and just focusing on his offensive schemes. He didn't even sub out for offense versus defense, which would have saved those few times that Meeks was scored on. He literally ignored, or at least doesn't see, the defensive side. :man11:
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:59 am

i had my back to the TV doing highlights and i heard his postgame interview. i heard "theyre a good nba team" referring to the raptros and wasnt sure if he was serious. then he finished the sentence with "they have good offensive players." so a team thats 15 games under .500 is a good nba team because they have good offensive players.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Finwë on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:04 am

Tobias Funke wrote:They = Cavs, Hornets, Wizards

This.
I think it did make sense lol

"Because of the way they (the Cavs, Hornets and Wizards) have been playing at home of late, losses on the road against teams like the Wizards, the Hornets or the Cavs shouldn't really be considered baaad losses, and I agree."

No?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:11 am

MDA seriously needs to address these glaring defensive issues!
We're not even playing elite teams and our D is getting picked apart (except for a few stretches where everyone was playing "balls to the wall" and Dwight looked like pre-injury Dwight).

Set any type of screen against any of our perimeter players, and we're in DEEP trouble.

Run after every miss / turnover / even made shots, and you'll probably score. Our transition D is so bad Derek Fisher scored on us a couple of nights ago..

Even if you miss, because of our s****y rotations, you'll have a good chance to get the board. Most of the times, Dwight is the one causing the misses near the rim, but we still haven't really found a way to fix the whole "help the helper" issue in that scenario. A lot of times the opposition is getting second chance points.

We need STRATEGY. We need schemes, a system, something. It can't all rely on just "trying really hard".
It doesn't strike me as guys have really been focusing on these GLARING issues. Pick and roll D tonight for the most part was just as weak as it was against OKC and NO.
We are showing little improvement from a systematic / strategic standpoint on D. Our improvement has a lot more to do with better on-court chemistry between our players, better effort.

On offense it really doesn't take a "genius" to do what he has the guys doing. So if he's not working out our defensive issues, and on O he just has Kobe activate GOD-mode, Nash hit clutch 3s, Howard get lobs from simple Kobe pick and rolls, then why is he hired? Anyone can run that. It's riding your talent, basically.
He's coaching ala Scott Brooks, only we're much, much more desesperate than OKC.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:20 am

I thought he should have played Blake more when Meeks was struggling.. At least you'll get consistent defense & decision making.
lakersin4

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard