Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Tobias Funke on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:48 am

I guess I can dream, but it would be nice if we could find a poor man's Thibs on one of these top defensive teams and throw some money at him to come in and actually get the team to play some defense, even if it means letting go of one or two of our current assistants coaches.

Take the Wizards for example, you could probably count on one hand the amount of teams that are worse than them overall this season, and yet they are legitimately one of the top defensive teams in the league, after being among the worst in the league last season (as most would expect). They did bring in an assistant coach that spent quite a few seasons working with Pop in San Antonio, and I cant help but wonder how much that hire has to do with their improvement on defense.

Thats what Id like to see with the Lakers.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby borri on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:02 am

This is the problem with Antoni's 8 man rotation. We DO have a capable defender sitting on the bench who would have done a much better job on Anderson than Meeks. His name is Ebanks.

Antoni's philosophy is.... it's ok if they score because we can score too. While true, the opposite is also true, if we stop them from scoring, it's ok if we don't score.

Problem is, we have the Mamba and Nash and D12. Our problem wasn't scoring.......
borri

Postby khmrP on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:39 am

lakersin4 wrote:I thought he should have played Blake more when Meeks was struggling.. At least you'll get consistent defense & decision making.

Blake was getting lite up by the midget John Lucas III, just saying.
khmrP

Postby jjin28 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:20 pm

"We don't have to be one-player dominant," D'Antoni said. "The ball has to move, and when it does, we're really good."

This was the quote from Coach today.....My question is...why the "f" do you even make a comment like this? What? B/C of one game against the lowly Kings, you try to make a statement to defend your style w/out kobe? That's why no matter how good we are, or how good we become heading to the playoffs, this stupid jokester makes me know we not going to win. We need to hire Phil n say good riddance to this clown. He's called out every player on this team sans Nash. First Gasol, then D12, now kobe. i mean really? what good comes from a quote like this?
Last edited by jjin28 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“you don’t even know me and you mad. How it feel to be a hater, now I know exactly how it feels to be a Laker." - JAY Z
jjin28

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:20 pm

lets only play 7 players on a back to back
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Weezy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:22 pm

'Antoni is an idiot who will not change his stubborn ways. He's run a short rotation no matter where he goes for better or worse. I don't care how bad our scrubs are you can't play 7 guys in back to back games with a team this old, it's just stupidity.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:25 pm

Mike D'Antoni's system suck ! :man9:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Weezy wrote:'Antoni is an idiot who will not change his stubborn ways. He's run a short rotation no matter where he goes for better or worse. I don't care how bad our scrubs are you can't play 7 guys in back to back games with a team this old, it's just stupidity.

Nah. We haven't won the 2nd of a back to back all season even when we were healthier. Playing those scrubs wouldn't have made a lick of difference. Watch those guys in garbage time, they are a total mess. I never want to see those bums out there no matter what.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:30 pm

the reporters kept trying to get a straight answer out of him about why he only played 7 players and he wouldnt say why other than "hindsight is 20/20"
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby charvin on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:32 pm

I still can't believe we're stuck with him for 4 years. Only 3 1/2 left to go...
charvin

Postby Weezy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:32 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
Weezy wrote:'Antoni is an idiot who will not change his stubborn ways. He's run a short rotation no matter where he goes for better or worse. I don't care how bad our scrubs are you can't play 7 guys in back to back games with a team this old, it's just stupidity.

Nah. We haven't won the 2nd of a back to back all season even when we were healthier. Playing those scrubs wouldn't have made a lick of difference. Watch those guys in garbage time, they are a total mess. I never want to see those bums out there no matter what.

That's not my point. I'm not saying we would have won if you play the scrubs more, I'm saying we were probably going to lose anyway considering how tired these guys are, so why wear them out more and have them kill themselves with all these minutes. We're trying to make the playoffs, but we also don't want to wear out ancient players in the process so that if we make it they have nothing left.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:38 pm

Weezy wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:

That's not my point. I'm not saying we would have won if you play the scrubs more, I'm saying we were probably going to lose anyway considering how tired these guys are, so why wear them out more and have them kill themselves with all these minutes. We're trying to make the playoffs, but we also don't want to wear out ancient players in the process so that if we make it they have nothing left.

D'Antoni's rationale was we would have 4 days of rest before our next game so going all out with the guys we had seemed worth it.

The roster is incredibly flawed in that way. Age shouldn't be an excuse to essentially guarantee losses, but it happens with this squad which is incredibly pathetic.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:39 pm

I have mixed feelings.

To be fair, he's trying to build solid chemistry between the kind of players who will win big things for us. If that means working them a bit more than usual, than so be it.

These B2Bs with travel are tough on any team. And I think we've seen enough of our deep bench to know they don't win much.

I give D'Antoni a pass on the 7 man rotation at this point in the season. The game was tight, and got blown up late with a lot shooting discrepancy. We will get back, take care of business with the Wizards and look forward to Pau and Kobe rounding things out. At the same time, Blake and Jamison have tasted the bitter and the sweet.
SpencerHarrison

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:42 pm

7 players or less
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:51 pm

We have 14 players on the roster....

We played 7 guys + 2 starters/1 rotation players injured = 10

2 PG's - Pick one Duhon/Morris, but we already have the PG minutes filled with Nash/Blake. Meeks was taking the SG minutes. Insert one of them here and take minutes away from Blake?

1 SF - Dude got a DUI and is literally the 15th man off the bench, he's a lost cause.

1 C - Phoenix went small when D12 went out, defeats the purpose of putting in Sacre and D12 wasn't in foul trouble.

I'm just not seeing where someone could of been put in. We might have the worst 11-14 end of the bench in the entire league, putting them in, in quarters 1-3 would have been conceding defeat.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Doc Brown wrote:We have 14 players on the roster....

We played 7 guys + 2 starters/1 rotation players injured = 10

2 PG's - Pick one Duhon/Morris, but we already have the PG minutes filled with Nash/Blake. Meeks was taking the SG minutes. Insert one of them here and take minutes away from Blake?

1 SF - Dude got a DUI and is literally the 15th man off the bench, he's a lost cause.

1 C - Phoenix went small when D12 went out, defeats the purpose of putting in Sacre and D12 wasn't in foul trouble.

I'm just not seeing where someone could of been put in. We might have the worst 11-14 end of the bench in the entire league, putting them in, in quarters 1-3 would have been conceding defeat.

Thank you.
SpencerHarrison

Postby Weezy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:07 pm

Doc you make great points as always, but I still do what I have to do for one game no matter how bad the bench is, if even just to get the guys a little more rest. I play Duhon when Nash goes out, I play Morris when Blake goes out and probably when Nash comes back, I suck it up and play Ebanks 5 minutes to rest poor Clark, and I even play Sacre when Jamison and Nash are in to rest Dwight a little. You do what you have to do, all teams do it when this shorthanded.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jordan-esque on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Most of the Laker players shot 33% from the field!

- Dwight 6/18
- Nash 6/17
- World Peace 5/17
- Meeks 3/9

Not 1 single Laker had over 50%, nada.

Blame the coach for tiring out his players.
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 pm

He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. This may be heretical, but I think D'Antoni has done okay. His few key decisions have been responsible, winning ones.

*6th man Pau to ride Clark.

*Adjust offense to the players.

*Move Nash off ball

*Play shorter bench. This is controversial right now, but nobody was arguing when Jamison and Blake went off at home.
SpencerHarrison

Postby Weezy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:33 pm

I didn't have a problem with it for a game at Indiana we needed to win, and then a game after a day off, but in a back to back I would expect some adjustments is all. I think 'Antoni has been not terrible for a while now, but tonight I just didn't like sticking with the same plan.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Fair enough. Definitely a case to be made the other direction.
SpencerHarrison

Postby Jordan-esque on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:43 pm

@KevinDing

D'Antoni said his guys had 3 days off after this game, so he thought he could play 7-man rotation on back-to-back.

For real?!?
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:44 pm

We're just too old ... a NBA player should be able to play 40 min two nights in a row .... you got 3 days of rest after that ...

We failed to win both games of b2b in 14 tries ... this isn't a depth issue ... more like our core is too old + D12 isn't physically able to play b2b ...
wcsoldier81

Postby khmrP on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:09 pm

difference between a great coach like Pop who can get the most even out of his 12th man vs. our coach who doesn't understand a group of 30+yr old guys can't handle heavy minutes on a b2b or nightly basis....
khmrP

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:15 pm

khmrP wrote:difference between a great coach like Pop who can get the most even out of his 12th man vs. our coach who doesn't understand a group of 30+yr old guys can't handle heavy minutes on a b2b or nightly basis....

This is definitely valid. If there is something to be had with a bench, good coaches will bring it out.
SpencerHarrison

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard