Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby purp n gold on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:03 am

You can't blame this solely on MDA. But as the head coach he had a big role in how this played out. He neglected to manage Kobe's minutes and that's a failure on his part. I understand the "Kobe has to play these minutes to keep us in the game" argument, but playing 47 mins a night isn't going to end well. Fatigue increases the body's susceptibility to injury. It's common sense.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby venky on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:37 am

Kobe only gets 1% of the blame. He was trying to will his team in the Playoffs, of course he was going to play that many minutes.

The rest goes to the FO for hiring such a terrible coach over Phil Jackson. We might not be a top 4 seed, but we would be in the Playoffs comfortably if we had Phil Jackson, and Kobe would not be forced to play 48 min a game.
venky

Postby WilliamHaven on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:10 am

Pringles should be fired regardless of kobe's injury.
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:24 am

well dantoni is officially demoted to assistant coach and kobe becomes head coach now.

i dont think its entirely dantoni's fauly bc kobe saying "im fine" "im not sitting" etc you cant really say no too. but its his job to coach the team in a successful way so that he can find kobe rest. its other players faults for not doing what they get paid too and forcing kobe to have to play alot bc no one steps up. kobe did it all it seems this last stretch of games and was putting up prime lebron numbers at 34 which is unreal.

i think the blame is on everyone. coach and other players not doing their jobs at the highest level that they can.

kobe willed this team into a position where they should make the playoffs considering everything that has happened this season. now its up to the others to step up and represent the lakers. bc so far they havent really done it every night.

nash needs to come back. do whatever you gotta do but do it. just like metta did. dantoni needs to be a coach..well now assistant coach and do his job and MANAGE his players before this happens to dwight
Ariza3

Postby borri on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:26 am

Just 2 freaking days ago, me and chillbongo were clamoring for idiot Antoni to give our starters a some more rest by playing Morris/Duhon/Ebanks.......and now this.

FU Antoni.

First Nash is hurt. Now Kobe done for a long time. :bang: :bang: :bang:
borri

Postby escobar8 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:28 am

i had his back whole season...but the way he runed kobe in the ground inexcusable...

fire him...
escobar8

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 2m
Kobe to Kupchak: "I hear what you're saying, but we have to get in the playoffs. I'm playing and there's nothing you can do about it."
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 3m
Mitch Kupchak said he approached Kobe about 10 days ago expressing concerns about his playing time. Kobe's response to follow...
Expand

Ready to put the blame on others as well guys? Kobe was basically telling the FO to stick it in terms of playing time.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Kobe's not in charge Doc, blame goes on Kobe for sure, but I put bame on everyone for not being more sensible with his minutes. Kobe can say there's nothing they can do to stop him, but that really isn't true, they're his bosses. The whole thing reminded me of RG3's last game, you see him out there hobbled, stumbling, continuing to injure himself, and you just let him keep doing it until something gives out. At some point somebody has to tell him no for his own good, he's in his 17th year, you cannot play a guy that old the 2nd most minutes in the NBA.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby bnr034 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:23 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Kobe to Kupchak: "I hear what you're saying, but we have to get in the playoffs. I'm playing and there's nothing you can do about it."

Mitch Kupchak said he approached Kobe about 10 days ago expressing concerns about his playing time. Kobe's response to follow...
Expand

Ready to put the blame on others as well guys? Kobe was basically telling the FO to stick it in terms of playing time.

Still his fault for running a 7 man rotation, unable to motivate his players to play at a high level and implement a system that works not to mention play any sort of :atkins:
bnr034

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:24 pm

^^^ I know he's not in charge, that wasn't my point. Everyone wants to put this squarely on MDA's shoulders, but there is more than one party involved that should have stopped it. The FO was concerned almost 2 weeks ago and did nothing to stop it.

It's their star player, if they are concerned about something they have to step in, no questions about it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:25 pm

bnr034 wrote:Still his fault for running a 7 man rotation, unable to motivate his players to play at a high level and implement a system that works not to mention play any sort of :atkins:

Sweet. I don't really have anything else to say.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:30 pm

That's my point as well, not looking at just making the playoffs, because who are we kidding even in them we aren't winning it all, but also looking out for the well being of your players. Kobe is too old to play the 2nd most minutes in the NBA, his minutes needed to be managed better, whether that means more losses or missed playoffs, the rest of the team should be able to pitch in enough for Kobe to not STILL have to carry us in his 17th season. It's not even the Achilles injury, it's the injuries that have been piling up and that he's played through, eventually you have to step in for the players own good and at the very least lower his minutes. If that means more more Meeks or even Morris and Duhon, oh well. But crap like 'Antoni "joking" that since Kobe is retiring soon so they have to get their money's worth pisses me off, because there is some truth there, he was riding Kobe til he broke.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby bnr034 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:31 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
bnr034 wrote:Still his fault for running a 7 man rotation, unable to motivate his players to play at a high level and implement a system that works not to mention play any sort of :atkins:

Sweet. I don't really have anything else to say.

I really do not know how the Lakers will survive in the playoffs.. You have Kobe and Nash out.. who is going to create? (Run PnR off) ... MDA system is flawed... and we are :bang: :bang: :mad1: :mad1: :man6: :man6:
bnr034

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:13 pm

The Kobe injury aside, we're never going to be a contender with D(less)Antoni as HC.

He's a mediocre coach at best, he's clueless when it comes to defense, and he insists on trying to force players to adapt to his system instead of adjusting his system to fit the existing roster.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:37 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

Expand

Wow without seeing this yet bouncing between threads in my bummed mood I just posted in the Kobe thread that Kobe could very well have looked right at Dan and said F U I'm not coming out in front of the world and waved off the guy coming in. Yeah looks like he already told them all behind doors he was going make his own decisions on it. What do you do?
LTLakerFan

Postby Finwë on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:03 pm

Is Mike D'Antoni responsible for Kobe Bryant's Achilles injury?
KEN BERGER
NBA Insider

El SEGUNDO, Calif. -- The Lakers were in recovery mode Saturday as they braced for the unthinkable task of finishing this playoff push without Kobe Bryant. It looked like a normal day: players shooting free throws, coaches discussing strategy and Dwight Howard shooting left-handed 3-pointers and proclaiming that he was Sam Perkins.

But before the work could continue, it was time for damage control. The Lakers moved quickly to squelch speculation and accusations that coach Mike D'Antoni was responsible for Bryant's torn left Achilles' tendon because he allowed the 17-year veteran to continue to play 45 minutes a night and more at this stage of his career -- including a stretch of four games in 12 nights in which Bryant logged at least 47 minutes.

On Friday night, Bryant was on his way to his second consecutive 48-minute workload after logging every second of a 113-106 victory in Portland on Wednesday night -- a game in which Bryant incredibly produced 47 points, eight rebounds, five assists, four blocks and three steals on the second night of a back-to-back.

Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak came out firmly in defense of D'Antoni on Saturday, and the Lakers made athletic trainer Gary Vitti available to the media to dispel the notion that Bryant's recent workload had triggered the injury.

"If you want to say it's 48 minutes, it has to do more with every minute that you're on the court gives you an opportunity of being injured," Vitti said. "You can't be injured if you're on the bench. So if that's your argument, I can see that. The odds increase with time on the floor; you could step on somebody's foot, you can get yourself in a bad position and you can be injured.

"But to say that he was injured because he played 48 minutes, I think, is a stretch," Vitti said. "Lots of guys rupture their Achilles' tendon and don't play 48 minutes. So to make that correlation I don't think is fair. We've just had a really bad-luck season."

Kupchak said he spoke with Bryant about 10 days ago and expressed concern about the Hall of Famer's insistence on staying on the court every minute if it was necessary to get the Lakers into the postseason.

"His message to me was, 'Mitch, I hear what you're saying, but we've got to get in the playoffs,'" Kupchak said. "'And I'm playing and there's nothing you can do about it.'"

As has often been the case throughout Bryant's career, Kupchak said taking Bryant out of the game and Bryant actually coming out of the game are two different things.

"I don't think Mike is at blame here one bit," Kupchak said. "Certainly everybody can second-guess looking back on it now and say we could have done something different. But even if you take Kobe out of a game … there's a lot of times when he'll get up and put himself back in the game. So just because you say, 'You're out of the game,' doesn't mean he's going to come out of the game or stay out of the game."

Bryant said Friday night of his recent workload, "It was all necessary," and wouldn't second-guess his coach. Just as he did in the immediate aftermath of the injury, D'Antoni openly second-guessed himself Saturday -- responding to questions about his handling of Bryant with a mixture of candor and remorse.

"We always had that conversation with him ... and his belief was he wanted to do it and we couldn't make the playoffs without it and he said he was going to make the playoffs," D'Antoni said. "But he's a strong-willed individual."

D'Antoni was asked if, as the coach, it was part of his job to protect Bryant from himself and to order him to sit down at times.

"Yeah, I could," he said. "But there's one part of me going, 'Yeah, we need you out there. We're not going to make the playoffs if you're not out there.' "

There's little doubt there's correlation between Bryant's recent workload and the injury. Both are facts: He played a lot of minutes lately, and he got hurt. But correlation is not causality. Bryant's personal trainer, Tim Grover, said the workload D'Antoni allowed Bryant to take on since the stint of 47-minute nights began on March 30 at Sacramento was "not the determining factor" in the injury.

"It may have had a little bit to do, but it's just like everything else, " Grover said. "An Achilles' tendon, I've seen people pop it getting out of bed just putting their feet on the ground, or stepping off the sidewalk. Achilles is one of those things; it's a freakish thing. It just happened. I'm not to say that the minutes that he was playing was the sole cause of this. From my education and school work, I just can't see that being it.

"If it is a piece of the puzzle," Grover said, "it's a very small piece."

In truth, the dynamic between Bryant and D'Antoni when it came to playing time wasn't any different than the dynamic between him and Phil Jackson -- or Mike Brown, or Rudy Tomjanovich, for that matter. If Bryant doesn't want to come out, he doesn't come out. If he wants to go back in, he goes back in.

"He's earned the right to do certain things," D'Antoni said.

D'Antoni is an easy target here, but considering the frequent uproar when NBA coaches rest their stars during the latter stages of the regular season, it's a little disingenuous to target D'Antoni for playing his star when he needed him. First, you can't have it both ways. Second, the situations are entirely different. If the Lakers didn't need to win these games, Bryant wouldn't have been playing -- at least not 40-plus minutes a night.

"If I felt we could [make the playoffs] and steal minutes, we would've," D'Antoni said. "And I think you always second-guess that. We'd second-guess if we sat him out and didn't make the playoffs."

As for the theory that Bryant never would've been able to get over on Jackson this way, nobody will ever know. Jackson isn't the coach of the Lakers anymore. But Bryant offered some insight into his dialogue with D'Antoni about playing time after that incredible performance in Portland on Wednesday night.

"He looks at me in between quarters and either I give him the thumbs up or I say, 'I need a break,'" Bryant said. "Against Memphis a couple of times, I took myself out of the game because I was so exhausted. I'm honest about it. If I feel like I'm out there cutting corners, I'll sit down for a minute. But it'll only be a minute. If I'm going good, I give him the high sign."

As Bryant led the Lakers back from a nine-point, fourth-quarter deficit Friday night -- in a game they needed to keep control of their playoff fate -- there was only one way Bryant was coming out of the game. Well, two. He'd either have to be carried off, as most players with a torn Achilles' tendon would be. Or he'd shuffle off the court after knocking down two free throws on one leg.

"I gave him leeway," D'Antoni said. "Like I said, I'll sit and think about it. I feel awful what happened. But again, you deal with the circumstances at that time, you do the best you can and go forward and just fight."

For the short-term goal of making the playoffs, the Lakers now must deal with a much longer-term problem. Kupchak was even asked if he'd consider using the amnesty provision on Bryant, who is on the books for $30 million next season.

"That's not even something that we've discussed," Kupchak said. "... That's the furthest thing from my mind right now."

For now, the Lakers will get ready for the Spurs on Sunday and the Rockets on Wednesday, and if they can win both without Bryant, they're in the playoffs. If Utah loses one of its next two games -- at Minnesota and home to Memphis -- it would relieve a little pressure.

The mundane tasks, such as figuring out who carries the load for Bryant and who starts in his place -- Jodie Meeks is the answer to that one, by the way -- are well under way. But however this turns out, the Lakers will be looking back on this series of events for months to come. The ripple effects will be stronger than Bryant's will.

"You cannot predict an injury, just like we could not predict that Steve Nash was going to break his leg in Game 2 of the season," Kupchak said. "I don't know how you predict that. Maybe if we had a 10-game lead going into the playoffs you can rest guys and he wouldn't have gotten injured [Friday] night, but that's not the case."
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:39 pm

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 8m

Coming out of All-Star, D'Antoni predicted LAL needed to finish 20-8 to make the playoffs. They have gone 19-8 with 1 game to play
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby karacha on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:00 am

Great prediction then. That's .710 ball.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Snake Eyes on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:49 am

karacha wrote:Great prediction then. That's .710 ball.

Yes it is. I remember that prediction and I remember thinking "no way in they can do it they might win some games but asking for .700+ ball for this D'Antoni team is too much." Even with their improved play, I can't believe they even have a shot to pull it off. It is crazy, and I hope they can pull it off.
Snake Eyes

Postby Weezy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:26 am

Watching Numbers Never Lie just now, they pointed out we've gone 27-12 since starting 17-25, so I give 'Antoni credit. I give him credit for getting out of the way and letting Kobe be brilliant. :man10: I give credit to Nash for taking a spot up shooter role, to Dwight for stopping the pouting and playing hard, to MWP for playing hard all season, to Clark for stepping up out of nowhere, to Blake for being solid in every role he's been asked to play, and to Pau for coming back from injury and playing like his old self. I give 'Antoni credit for scrapping his offense and getting out of the way, letting Kobe run the show, and for going into the post to Pau and Dwight despite hating post play. So thanks for getting out of your own way Mike, hopefully we have a real coach next season.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:46 am

Hopefully he throws away his playbook against Houston and steal the triangle offense. Slow it down and bully the weak Houston frontline. Dwight, Pau, Metta on the block against Asik, Motiewhothehel, Parsons
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:51 am

Ariza3 wrote:well dantoni is officially demoted to assistant coach and kobe becomes head coach now.

i dont think its entirely dantoni's fauly bc kobe saying "im fine" "im not sitting" etc you cant really say no too. but its his job to coach the team in a successful way so that he can find kobe rest. its other players faults for not doing what they get paid too and forcing kobe to have to play alot bc no one steps up. kobe did it all it seems this last stretch of games and was putting up prime lebron numbers at 34 which is unreal.

i think the blame is on everyone. coach and other players not doing their jobs at the highest level that they can.

kobe willed this team into a position where they should make the playoffs considering everything that has happened this season. now its up to the others to step up and represent the lakers. bc so far they havent really done it every night.

nash needs to come back. do whatever you gotta do but do it. just like metta did. dantoni needs to be a coach..well now assistant coach and do his job and MANAGE his players before this happens to dwight

This post :jam2:
Chillbongo

Postby JSM on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Kevin Ding

D'Antoni coming clean on his "preconceived notion" that Dwight-Pau couldn't play well together: "It probably ...
wasn't right."

He also said he came "to realize that we can play with two big guys. I was a little skeptical at first."

What sold D'Antoni on the big frontcourt?

"Because they kept getting better at it ... pretty easy assumption."

D'Antoni also said Howard and Gasol played better together once each got healthier, with D'Antoni pegging them as "close to 100 percent" now.

Is it bad that nearly every time MDA speaks it makes me want to start drinking? :bang:
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:15 pm

^^^Well, the Vino is off the menu....I guess we need to hit up the hard stuff, J.

Hit me up with a triple shot of whatever....but its gotta be triple. :beer:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:23 pm

JSM wrote:Is it bad that nearly every time MDA speaks it makes me want to start drinking? :bang:

First Gump, then Farmar, now Pringles. What you got against offensive geniuses man?
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard