Mike D'Antoni Discussion: "I was an idiot..." (155)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby gill on Thu May 02, 2013 11:25 pm

That's not a good sign.

2013-2014 season... TANK MODE ON!!!
gill

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu May 02, 2013 11:28 pm

Alvin Gentry to interview with Bobcats for head coaching position

Former Phoenix Suns head coach Alvin Gentry will interview next week for the head coaching position with the Charlotte Bobcats, according to a report late Wednesday night from David Aldridge of NBA.com.

Gentry, a North Carolina native and former college basketball player at Appalachian State, had expressed interest in the job in late April after the team parted ways with first-year head coach Mike Dunlap, who finished the season with a 21-61 record.

But Gentry’s record as a head coach, first with the Miami Heat in 1994-95 and subsequent stints with the Detroit Pistons, Los Angeles Clippers and Phoenix Suns, is below .500. Despite taking the Suns to the Western Conference Finals in 2010, he has an overall record of 335-370 (.475) as a head coach and was relieved of his coaching duties midway through last season in Phoenix amid a 13-28 record.

The Suns will also interview Gentry’s assistant coach in Phoenix, Elston Turner, who has served as an assistant coach in the NBA for 15 years. He has interviewed for several head coaching positions, including the one with the Chicago Bulls in 2010 that ended up going to Tom Thibodeau, but has yet to be hired as a head coach.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri May 03, 2013 12:09 am

Armani wrote: Also, MDA is clearly NOT an offensive genius... he's just really good at using Steve Nash, who is now 40 and can't play at the level he used to.

Thats what Ive been saying as well. He's a fraud. He only cares about offense.....to the point where he does know alot about offense, but that doesn't make him an offensive genius.

If players aren't an exact fit for his personal offense he's clueless. If Kobe didn't put his foot down and literally tell this guy enough is enough Pringles probably would've carried on as usual trying to force a square peg into a round hole and finished the season in 10th place.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby noobiew on Fri May 03, 2013 1:17 am

Fire D'Antoni and let him go already ! Why our front-office still wants to give him one more full year when things was clearly not gonna work ?

So instead of rebuilding the team around Dwight, we rebuild the team around D'Antoni. :bang:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby kblo247 on Fri May 03, 2013 5:13 am

I'm calling the brass making Rambis be picked as his assistant. He was the defensive assistant under Phil. He learned from his mistakes. He's been able to experience the game and win as a champion player, fail as coach, be tutored as an assistant by the best, fail, step away and be an analyst, and now is even better. It only makes sense as he was contacted when Phil was possibly returning, and it was always Rambis or Shaw in Phil's words he wanted to take over and mentor by having them work some games by themselves. I think Rambis is added because he knows defense, he knows Kobe and Pau both, he has their respect, and he can help the team. Likewise if Dantoni slips up he can step in as an interim guy and institute the triangle without actually brining Phil back as he could probably get Phil's assistants to join him. Think its Rambis easily because if this [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] flops again, they can go to Phil and Kobe's way without the egg on their face and price tag of actually brining Phil back, just his system and staff under Rambis who the Buss family were all behind Phil grooming anyhow

I will also the biggest problem with having Pau and Nash start together at the 4 and 1 is that in today's league, Dandummy had them playing man defense. Well whatever the hell Pau and Nash call man at their positions, which forces Kobe, Metta, and Dwight all to look with their heads on a swivel expecting them to get beat and then in turn get back doored. You can count the millions of times Kobe watched those two be attacked by a pick and roll, then turned his head and his guy cut. Or the times Dwight ran over for a block expecting that breakdown and in turn his man got an easy putback. Or Metta came in expecting those two to be broken down and tries to steal it so his guy ends up open in the corner and he's to slow to rotate back to him. The fact is the team as long as Pau and Nash are the starting PG and PF should've been using a matchup zone and funneling system; yes that's on the whole trio of Dantoni, Pau, and Nash because Dantoni didn't make the adjustment, and you didn't see Blake or Clark when starting in their places get beat so much which meant the other 3 weren't caught napping or ball watching as much
kblo247

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri May 03, 2013 8:10 am

Vasashi17 wrote:
For the Mike D'Antoni detractors, there certainly doesn't seem to be any momentum for pushing him out as coach of the Lakers.

As reported by Lauren Beale of the Times, D'Antoni has purchased a $6.9-million home in Manhattan Beach.

D'Antoni left the New York Knicks voluntarily. Buying a home in the Los Angeles area certainly suggests he's not resigning his position with the Lakers.

Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak has been clear that he has every intention of giving D'Antoni a chance to prove what he can do with the team given a full training camp and a healthy roster.

F**************** :bang:

Wake me when its over...

I think most fans want MDA gone. Unfortunately, he will be here next year to our own detriment. However, MDA purchasing a house doesn't mean much; when Brown first got here, he purchased a house in Anaheim Hills. Now, he's heading back to Cleveland. My point? You never know what could happen. MDA could be fired by the All-Star break next season and heading back to the east coast.
dwighthowardsdad

Re: Mike D'Antoni Trying To Add Nate McMillan To His Staff

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat May 04, 2013 2:54 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:
Mike D'Antoni Trying To Add Nate McMillan To His Staff

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

Mike D'Antoni expected to reach out to fellow USA assistant Nate McMillan as potential defensive assistant, league source tells @CBSSports.

https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/268045447992590337

Nate Mcmillan Not The Defensive Coach He's Cracked Up To Be

To see how much a difference pace can make, here’s how McMillan’s teams ranked in points allowed per game/points allowed per possession:

2000-01 SuperSonics: 24th/24th*

2001-02 SuperSonics: 12th/17th

2002-03 SuperSonics: 6th/17th

2003-04 SuperSonics: 24th/27th

2004-05 SuperSonics: 13th/27th

2005-06 Trail Blazers: 18th/28th

2006-07 Trail Blazers: 14th/26th

2007-08 Trail Blazers: 8th/17th

2008-09 Trail Blazers: 4th/13th

2009-10 Trail Blazers: 3rd/15th

2010-11 Trail Blazers: 7th/14th

2011-12 Trail Blazers: 18th/23rd**

And his teams usually perform well offensively. After all, if his defenses do poorly, there has to be some reason his teams win more often than not.

There’s plenty of variation in rankings for McMillan’s teams offensively (using points scored per possession) — 10th, 5th, 19th, 3rd, 2nd, 30th, 20th, 14th, 1st, 7th, 10th, 11th — but they certainly skew to the positive.

http://www.pistonpowered.com/2013/05/na ... -up-to-be/
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Sat May 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Nate would still be a solid addition to the coaching staff. We're not going to get all aces here if we're keeping D'Antoni. That much is clear.

But McMillan is a good coach and he can be helpful here.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Sat May 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Nate could be the 2nd worst defensive coach in the NBA and he would still be better coaching the D than F'antoni.
Vitti uttered three words that surely applies to how Bryant made two free throws on one leg, walked off the court on his own and processed his rehabilitation plan amid the pain, frustration and tears.

“That’s really cool.”
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat May 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Nate isn't a brilliant coach but he is worthy of a head coach salary and that's what he will want.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Sat May 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Instead of whining and moaning why don't season ticket-holders just pressure the MGM to fire MDA? or just don't subscribe to TWC.

either way the Lakers brass knows this city can't stand him.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Sat May 04, 2013 4:23 pm

Funny how almost the whole coaching staff is bailing out on MDA shows you how much respect MDA has which is practically none... if MDA is here next year.. I am not subscribing to TWC :)
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby Weezy on Sat May 04, 2013 7:38 pm

Coaching matters. How much? Well, 3/4(?) a Bulls team just beat a full Nets squad, they have a damn good coach.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat May 04, 2013 7:41 pm

Weezy wrote:Coaching matters. How much? Well, 3/4(?) a Bulls team just beat a full Nets squad, they have a damn good coach.

I disagree. It's 100% NateRob.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat May 04, 2013 7:43 pm

Weezy wrote:Coaching matters. How much? Well, 3/4(?) a Bulls team just beat a full Nets squad, they have a damn good coach.

Amen!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Sat May 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

I disagree. It's 100% NateRob.

Same thing.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby karacha on Sat May 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Coaching definitely matters. But I think us starting 2 D-League players at the 1 & 2 in the playoffs is just a bit... too much to overcome. In addition, those other guys, well... let's put it this way. Starting SF and backup SG could not play either. Starting PF has problems with both knees, starting 5 did well, but still played with a torn labrum, backup 4 needed surgery on his shooting wrist, while backup 4/5 just came back after missing the whole season.

When I re-read that, it really sounds horrible. I've never seen anything like this. Props to CHI, but man, we had it worse.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sat May 04, 2013 8:11 pm

I wasn't trying to say our situation was the same, I wa just pointing out that a good coach can get great things out of even an injured team. Chicago wasn't at full strength all season but they keep fighting, they buy into their coach, whereas ours held us back until the players came out and said "enough is enough we're changing it up". No coach could have gotten our d-league roster past the Spurs, but a great coach IMO could have gotten more out of the team in the regular season.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat May 04, 2013 8:24 pm

They didn't have their MVP all season! We did! I'm sorry but the injury excuse is weak and I expected management to use it, but the fans should see through that BS.

So we lose...that's fine cause it was the most likely outcome. But it's the way we lost. No fight...just swept right out with consecutive beatdowns.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sat May 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Hopefully this doesn't get Dwight out of LA if so then I'd be pissed, if I had to choose between the two i'd keep Dwight. All signs pointing to MDA returning so thats good. Continuity goes a long way

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun May 05, 2013 12:50 am

Coaching DOES matter a lot but let's take an objective view here :

- Nate ( who would be 3rd string PG if Rose was healthy) is better than Blake ..

- Marco is a way better offensive player than Meeks ... I do think Cook ( Bulls 3rd string SG) will knock the open looks Meeks got all season long at a better rate .

- Teague is a better 3rd/4th string PG than both Morris and Duhon .

- Noah passion/energy/defensive intensity ... compare it with Pau's one :man10: .. or even D12 one .

- Butler can defend the perimeter positions at an elite level ... we don't have such a player ..

Once again there is no doubt Thibs is a defensive master , keeps his players accountable and overall is a way better coach than MDA but Bulls depth on the perimeter is just very solid while we have none ...

and as a team they're warriors , they just want it more.... this fire is long gone for our washed up roster
wcsoldier81

Postby Weezy on Sun May 05, 2013 1:38 am

I've never even heard of their player named Teague. Objectively let's be real, they're playing with a one time all star in Noah, a 2 time all star in Boozer who was overrated for years and frequently disappoints in the playoffs, and a bunch of role players and guys I never heard of before this season. We had a legit excuse for losing in the playoffs, missing Kobe, Nash, Blake, and Meeks, having a gimpy MWP, Jamison, playing for the first time in months Hill, and the rest of our roster being pretty awful after Pau, Dwight and occasionally Clark. That's not an issue I'm debating, playoffs were always a loss going in with what we were dealing with as far as injuries go.

I'm saying the Bulls dealt with injuries all season too, but they keep fighting and fighting, and playing hard, they buy into their coach. I'm not going to discount what the Bulls are doing at all just because their perimeter role players are a little better than ours, not saying you are just that I'm for sure not. They have no Rose, Deng, or Hinrich, and Noah is not even healthy but still playing. That'd be like us having no Kobe, no Pau (if Pau was still good), no Blake and a limping Dwight yet winning a playoff series. The Bulls had no business beating a Nets team with Williams, Johnson, Wallace, Evans, and Lopez as a starting 5 and a bench with Watson, Blatche, and Humphries, that was healthy overall. I still don't know how that Nets team can stink it up so bad with that talented roster, got outhustled and outcoached I guess.

In the end I guess my point is if we had a better than below average coach we probably get a better regular season record at least, maybe Kobe isn't run into the ground, maybe role players are used better, taught better, inspired more, who knows. I just saw what great coaching can do for even an injury plagued team this series though, and I wish we had that going forward instead of this clown another season.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby bnr034 on Sun May 05, 2013 1:42 am

This clips tells it all :man6: :man6: :man6:

bnr034

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Sun May 05, 2013 7:06 am

The Rock wrote:Hopefully this doesn't get Dwight out of LA if so then I'd be pissed, if I had to choose between the two i'd keep Dwight. All signs pointing to MDA returning so thats good. Continuity goes a long way

Nothing is set in stone as far as MDA returning, I do not consider what the FO says to be accurate because it's more then likely BS....
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby DuddlyDoRight on Sun May 05, 2013 7:23 am

I still love it when they pan over to barbosa who looks like speedy gonzalez about to get eaten by a cat lol
NO EXCUSES FOR DWIGHT "I WHINE AND MOAN ALL THE TIME" HOWARD
DuddlyDoRight

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion