Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby 432J on Sun May 05, 2013 3:24 pm

god i hated those suns teams with nash, stoudemire, diaw, marion, and dan tony

that series and especially the tim thomas 3 pointer still make me cringe because we had it
:mad1:
432J

Postby therealdeal on Mon May 06, 2013 9:19 am

Another thing you're missing Weezy is continuity.

Our team struggled for so many reasons, injuries included, but one that fans tend to skip (but people in the org. don't) is continuity. We never got to run the same offense for a year or two or three. We never got to have a set defensive scheme...

okay the second one might be D'Antoni's fault...

But Thibs has been in Chicago for a while now and he's put his stuff in place. You're RIGHT, but in this instance the parallels aren't quite there. They're pointing in your direction, but they just aren't there yet.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon May 06, 2013 10:26 am

There's not much debate that coaching matters. For those of us who suffered through the later Del Harris years and then saw Phil return us to the promised land you know how big a difference a head coach can make. Comparing D' Antoni to Thibs is merciless. Such a brutal beat down. One guy is a defensive genius responsible for turning some offensive minded players into a winning squad in Bean Town, and has evolved into one hell of a head coach. The other guy is an over the hill coach who had an admittedly fun and flashy offensive style that revolutionized the league but never truly proved effective in getting over the hump come playoff time. D' Antoni's style was entertaining. But not ultimately that successful. And his player/coach relations track record is awful. It didn't seem to take here either, just like it didn't in NY.

I don't want to see D' Antoni here for a second longer, and the fact that the guy is an impediment in our negotiating with Dwight Howard is just silly. Fire this guy and cut your losses. We had all season to see that he is a poor fit with this team just as anticipated. There's no point in prolonging the torture. The dude is standing in the way of re-signing your next franchise player.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Mon May 06, 2013 10:57 am

C0TT0NCANDY wrote:
The Rock wrote:Hopefully this doesn't get Dwight out of LA if so then I'd be pissed, if I had to choose between the two i'd keep Dwight. All signs pointing to MDA returning so thats good. Continuity goes a long way

Nothing is set in stone as far as MDA returning, I do not consider what the FO says to be accurate because it's more then likely BS....

Pretty much a foregone conclusion that D'Antoni returns.

I think the probability that Dwight walks shot up 50%-60%. In the long run, that may not be a bad thing. When he walks though, I hope Jimmy bears the full brunt of the backlash that he will suffer.

With the realization that D'Antoni comes back though, I as a fan, am finally throwing up my hands and giving up any hope.

It's over.

:bang:
kray28

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Mon May 06, 2013 12:00 pm

kray28 wrote:Pretty much a foregone conclusion that D'Antoni returns.

I think the probability that Dwight walks shot up 50%-60%. In the long run, that may not be a bad thing. When he walks though, I hope Jimmy bears the full brunt of the backlash that he will suffer.

With the realization that D'Antoni comes back though, I as a fan, am finally throwing up my hands and giving up any hope.

It's over.

The smart thing to do if MDA is HC next season is not to subscribe to TWC, which I won't if that clown is the Lakers head-coach next year. hopefully some pressure amounts before next season starts to fire the clown.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby XXIV on Mon May 06, 2013 12:38 pm

C0TT0NCANDY wrote:
kray28 wrote:Pretty much a foregone conclusion that D'Antoni returns.

It's over.

The smart thing to do if MDA is HC next season is not to subscribe to TWC, which I won't if that clown is the Lakers head-coach next year. hopefully some pressure amounts before next season starts to fire the clown.

So I guess you're not watching the Lakers next season then.
XXIV

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Mon May 06, 2013 12:39 pm

Then, I won't..... I have better things to do... then see MDA trash the team into the ground.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon May 06, 2013 6:08 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 3m

Mike D'Antoni, who wants smaller staff, has decided not to bring assistants Chuck Person and Bernie Bickerstaff back next season.

dang..... I liked Chuck Person :man5:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby noobiew on Mon May 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Mike D'Antoni offense and Tom Thibodeau defense, which one would you rather have on your team ? I take Thib defense over D'Antoni offense.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Doc Brown on Mon May 06, 2013 7:29 pm

^^^ What does MDA's offense look like? I haven't seen it since his days in Phoenix.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon May 06, 2013 7:31 pm

I'll take Jimmy coming out and saying I f'd up royally and I have no business making basketball decisions. I'm just peeved at our front office. Mitch can swing a deal, but he over compensates in contract offers....but that's not what bothers me...its how they try to swing or sell the fans into believing a bad decision needs a training camp. GTFO.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 07, 2013 12:41 am

Doc Brown wrote:^^^ What does MDA's offense look like? I haven't seen it since his days in Phoenix.

He's a fraud. You'd think that if he was an offensive genius he'd be able to work magic with different rosters and have multiple ways he can be successful. Instead it was "my way, my way, my way" even when it wasn't working, up until Kobe had to put his foot down (which ofcourse the FO has tried to spin into Pringles deserving credit for being flexible).

And God forbid your not a fit in his system. An offensive genius would find a way to work you in, but with Pringles you just ride the pine. Because shame on you for not being a perfect fit in the greatest offense of all time.

All this would be tolerable if he had the success to fall back on, but he hasn't even made it to the Finals even with an MVP-level Nash and a team built to his exact specifications.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Tue May 07, 2013 8:37 am

Vasashi17 wrote:I'll take Jimmy coming out and saying I f'd up royally and I have no business making basketball decisions. I'm just peeved at our front office. Mitch can swing a deal, but he over compensates in contract offers....but that's not what bothers me...its how they try to swing or sell the fans into believing a bad decision needs a training camp. GTFO.

Jim is to stubborn to admit his wrong-doings... this fan-base deserves better then going through another year of MDA.... they are holding the fans hostage until they make up another reason/excuse... truly pathetic.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed May 08, 2013 1:09 am

Nate McMillan set to interview with Bucks, Lakers

Nate McMillan was only out of work for a year before suitors came calling. Mr. Sonic is scheduled to interview with the Milwaukee Bucks this week in regards to their head coaching gig and will also meet with current Los Angeles Lakers coach, Mike D'Antoni as for a defensive assistant spot.

http://www.sonicsrising.com/2013/5/7/4308030/nate-mcmillan-set-to-interview-with-bucks-lakers

I'm glad Nate is still going to talk with us. I hope he decides to join our staff or better yet MDA sees that McMillan can help him out a lot.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby lakersin4 on Wed May 08, 2013 2:34 am

If we offer him HC money to be an assistant here he might seriously consider taking that over a HC gig with a team like the Bucks. He worked with D'antoni in the Olympics & they seem to have enough respect for each other for it to work.
lakersin4

Postby lotus on Wed May 08, 2013 7:17 am

He should take the head coach gig for the bucks.
lotus

Postby Chillbongo on Wed May 08, 2013 10:38 am

lotus wrote:He should take the head coach gig for the bucks.

D'Antoni? :man1:
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 08, 2013 10:47 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:Nate McMillan set to interview with Bucks, Lakers

Nate McMillan was only out of work for a year before suitors came calling. Mr. Sonic is scheduled to interview with the Milwaukee Bucks this week in regards to their head coaching gig and will also meet with current Los Angeles Lakers coach, Mike D'Antoni as for a defensive assistant spot.

http://www.sonicsrising.com/2013/5/7/4308030/nate-mcmillan-set-to-interview-with-bucks-lakers

I'm glad Nate is still going to talk with us. I hope he decides to join our staff or better yet MDA sees that McMillan can help him out a lot.

This is cool.

McMillan might not be great, but I'd really love him as an assistant. He's got a defensive reputation and while he might not be great defensively by the numbers, that reputation will go a long way to pleasing Howard. Not to mention, maybe forcing D'Antoni to focus there a bit.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Wed May 08, 2013 10:53 am

lotus wrote:He should take the head coach gig for the Bucks.

McMillan's been a head coach before and I reckon he would prefer to lead instead of being an assistant again. Then again, maybe he can be part of the Laker staff and take over if D'Antoni is canned or resigns.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:02 am

gcclaker wrote:

McMillan's been a head coach before and I reckon he would prefer to lead instead of being an assistant again. Then again, maybe he can be part of the Laker staff and take over if D'Antoni is canned or resigns.

there it is...just what i was about to post...it wont be that long before the HC spot opens up
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Chillbongo on Wed May 08, 2013 11:19 am

Serious question:

If the Lakers were going to fire Mike D'Antoni, would it have been done by now?

Are they attempting to test the market before canning Mike D'Antoni? Essentially waiting to see if something better is out there before letting him go?
Chillbongo

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Wed May 08, 2013 11:42 am

^^ That is most likely the only hope for MDA getting fired basically... so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 08, 2013 1:26 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
gcclaker wrote:

there it is...just what i was about to post...it wont be that long before the HC spot opens up

That's GOT to be in his mind... Not to mention that being an assistant in LA might be better than being a HC in Detroit. :man10:

Even with all of our dysfunction, we're not in as bad of shape as that franchise...

I think McMillan probably can see that coaching in Detroit will be a tough job with no real upside. Coaching in Milwaukee might be a little better, but not a whole lot. The "temporary" assistant coach position might not be as bad as people think.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed May 08, 2013 2:00 pm

As much as I've said that I wasn't huge on McMillan as defensive coach or whatever, assistant coach, mainly because we've done the two or three head coaches alongside Brown and that didn't work out - still, having him at least here is better than not. I'd rather they just fired MDA and hire Nate as head coach. But I agree, if he's here, he's at least in the fold already in case they actually do the right thing and can D' Antoni.

Personally I think it's a lot more likely that he'll take one of the head coach jobs out there, but I'm really hoping he comes here.

I like the fact that he's on our radar, and I just wish he would've gotten a call last time around for HC.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby D.B. Cooper on Wed May 08, 2013 3:00 pm

Happy Birthday Mike!
:man10:
D.B. Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard