Mike D'Antoni Discussion: "I was an idiot..." (155)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 8m
Source tells me Darvin Ham is likely to join Steve Clifford in Charlotte, leaving LAL with just one full-time assistant in Dan D'Antoni
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

And it's down to the Antoni's.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby XXIV on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:06 am

I really liked Ham as he really helped players with their post game, he always played them tough in practice. Let's see who MDA brings in.
XXIV

Postby gcclaker on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:07 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Source tells me Darvin Ham is likely to join Steve Clifford in Charlotte, leaving LAL with just one full-time assistant in Dan D'Antoni

:man5: I'm would think they will round out the staff soon for other responsibilities. Maybe there's a bartender or two out there that can help with the game plan and preps.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:18 am

I really hope Mitch is interviewing coaches behind closed doors & waiting for a green light from one to fire D'Antoni...

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:41 am

Oh any semblance of a respectable coach has suddenly decided to leave the Lakers.
Chillbongo

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:59 am

Doc Brown wrote:

bleeping perfect :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: Did they even think 3 hours ahead of what they did with that midnight call? Of the possible bad ramifications? Did they realize Dan (coach Dan) doesn't like, no in fact hates post up play, and they just traded for Dwight Howard? Mitch had to know Steve Nash here or not but they took the basketball decision again out of his hands.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:05 am

Calm down people. I liked Ham too, but he wasn't the right guy for our bigs anyway. Darvin Ham didn't really have any business teaching our guys post moves...

If we can go out and grab McMillan and Gentry I will immediately forget about Ham, Clifford, and Chuck.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:11 am

i think something's up...everyone else is making coaching hires...meanwhile, we're sitting here losing everyone

maybe the FO told MDA not to hire anyone yet because he might be gone

*wishful thinking i know*
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:56 am

I will piss myself if Brian Shaw ends up coaching the tenants when there is a nice big coaching void to fill here.
Chillbongo

Postby XXIV on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:03 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:i think something's up...everyone else is making coaching hires...meanwhile, we're sitting here losing everyone

Well, MDA is probably going after McMillan along with Gentry but those guys will be looking for head coaching jobs first before they resort to being an assistant again. Plus we still have our best assistant in Dan D'Antoni. :man12:
XXIV

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:04 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:i think something's up...everyone else is making coaching hires...meanwhile, we're sitting here losing everyone

We are losing everyone because those people were apart of Brown's staff. D'Antoni is probably cleaning house to bring in his own guys.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:09 pm

I really don't think 'Antoni is going anywhere. They have said he is staying publicly, I don't hear him being on the hot seat or rumors of the Lakers looking for a coach other than assistants for 'Antoni. He's going to get this season sadly, with the "no training camp" excuse that Brown got last season, and he will be as crappy as ever, our only hope is the team can win anyway. Kind of like they did the 2nd half of this season, but not the same overuse of Kobe and star players. If Kobe comes back from this acl, and he runs him into the ground again, I will be beyond pissed that he was kept on as coach.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:12 pm

Doc Brown wrote:We are losing everyone because those people were apart of Brown's staff. D'Antoni is probably cleaning house to bring in his own guys.

Because he needs to clear everyone out, on-by-one, and make sure they have new jobs before getting his own guys in?
Chillbongo

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:We are losing everyone because those people were apart of Brown's staff. D'Antoni is probably cleaning house to bring in his own guys.

Because he needs to clear everyone out, on-by-one, and make sure they have new jobs before getting his own guys in?

The only time we hear about these assistant coaches is when they get accept another job. Not every assistant coach is going to be hired at once.

IMO, they all were told they won't be back next season and they should find new jobs. It only appears we are seeing the coaches leave one by one, is because they are slowly getting a new gig someplace else. Otherwise we wouldn't have any news on them.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:35 pm

Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 13s
Expect Mike D'Antoni to hire 2 other full-time assistants and 2 player development coaches. There could be more clarity within the next week
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 23m
Alvin Gentry is still considered one of D'Antoni's top choices. But lots of that hinges on whether Gentry will get a head-coaching gig
Doc Brown

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Gentry isn't getting a coaching gig, IMO. He will be hired on as 1 of the assistants. As I said previously, McMillian might be the 2nd assistant if Detroit decides to go with Cheeks; unless there is another head coaching vacancy that McMillian is a candidate for that I'm not aware of at the moment. So, WTS, if we have to keep MDA he will have two decent assistants on his staff, IMO.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby XXIV on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:27 pm

Who are two good player development coaches we could go after. We could really use some to help with our future draft picks.
XXIV

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:28 pm

Head coaching vacancies:

Pistons
Clippers
Nets
76ers

Candidates:

Hollins
Shaw
Scott
Van Gundy
Gentry
McMillan
Doug Collins.

I'd probably take any one of those as our head coach over Pringles. We should get one as an assistant.
Chillbongo

Postby XXIV on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Apparently Shaw is the leading candidate for the Nets job and I'd expect Hollins to get the Clippers job if Memphis does in fact let him go.
XXIV

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:39 pm

therealdeal wrote:Well there's what Tobias and I pointed out along with the sunk cost of having him under contract already. Along with the fact that we're trying to avoid the situation where players are in control.

I think we'll focus on surrounding D'Antoni with his compliment of coaches such as Nate McMillan and Alvin Gentry. If we had those two on board, I'd be a LOT more comfortable with D'Antoni. Not in any small part because once D'Antoni is fired we'd have two capable coaches on staff to step in and take over.

But I think the Phil dynamic will come into play here eventually. Whether it's a year from now or a few months... I don't know quite what that means, but it means something...

If Dan is the coach and they are being honest (and stubbornly effing stupid as this guy WILL NEVER WIN a Chip.....We have seen what it takes and He Ain't It) in giving him his rightful chance...... then what are the odds the F.O. forces him to take someone on like Rambis or Nate or (Gentry?) that could very well replace him if he is later fired?

Versus what new coaches usually get.....he gets to make his own assistant decisions?
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Chillbongo wrote:I will piss myself if Brian Shaw ends up coaching the tenants when there is a nice big coaching void to fill here.

More likely Nets, or again maybe not, Brian would probably cost Sterling less than Scott or Hollins. Then again CP3 probably calling that shot. But either way I think we finally lose him as head coach to another team. Thanks Jimbo.
LTLakerFan

Postby bigdog2013 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:05 pm

I am not sold on Brian Shaw as a head coach in the league. There is no way CP3 or Deron will sign off on Shaw if he is running the triangle offense. Wasnt Kurt Rambis a hot coaching prospect at one time, and so was Jim Clemons. Phil Jackson assistant just dont cut it in the NBA as head coaches.
bigdog2013

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:08 am

LTLakerFan wrote:
If Dan is the coach and they are being honest (and stubbornly effing stupid as this guy WILL NEVER WIN a Chip.....We have seen what it takes and He Ain't It) in giving him his rightful chance...... then what are the odds the F.O. forces him to take someone on like Rambis or Nate or (Gentry?) that could very well replace him if he is later fired?

Versus what new coaches usually get.....he gets to make his own assistant decisions?

Well Gentry is already VERY high on his list of assistants. In fact if Alvin doesn't get a head coaching position somewhere, it's almost a given that he'll come here. He and D'Antoni are close, they've worked together before, and I think it'd be a good move.

McMillan is another name in the same boat, although I don't know exactly how close he is to D'Antoni. The Lakers' assistant coaching gig this season is a pretty solid one. D'Antoni might not be on the hot seat, but it's getting hotter every day. Everyone knows that if the season starts poorly, he'll be let go and one of the assistants will step in. Gentry and McMillan know that. They'll come here if they can't get a HC spot.

That makes 2 really solid coaches on the roster if/when D'Antoni finally goes down. McMillan is a defensive guy. People can bring him down with adjusted-for-pace stats, but what they usually over look is that defense is partly controlling pace, so he knows what he's doing. Gentry is more offensive oriented, but the dude took the Suns to the Conference Finals against us not too long ago. He knows some things about coaching.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:07 am

The NBA on ESPN ‏@ESPNNBA 12h
Brian Shaw is Clippers' No. 1 candidate to take over as head coach, source tells @ramonashelburne - http://es.pn/12rQ4UD
Chillbongo

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion