Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby XXIV on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:13 am

A bit strange that he's suddenly in high demand after striking out the past few seasons. Apparently he's the Nets top candidate as well. I'm happy to see he's finally getting an opportunity I just wish it was with us instead.
XXIV

Postby Center Court on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:27 am

Clippers basically have their choice between Hollins, Shaw, and Scott.

Nets will take the left over of Shaw and Hollins.

Memphis will IMO go for McMill or Scott. My guess is McMill is there guy when it's all said and done.

Gentry will be our assistant coach. Nobody is signing him to HC. Hoepfully, Nate doesn't get hired and we can nab both.
Center Court

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:04 pm

I think we're really going to regret not snatching up Shaw while we could. I think he's going to be a great young coach, he's smart, passionate, and players like him. We're always stupidly going after "big names" these days, instead of taking a chance on someone new, when really everyone has to star somewhere. Who was Pat Riley as a coach before the Lakers?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:01 am

Indy didn't run the Tri, but I wonder if that's the offense Shaw would implement if he gets a crack at head coach. If so, that doesn't really jive with a ball dominant PG like CPFlop and the Clips.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Center Court on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:31 am

two words

GEORGE KARL
Center Court

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:40 am

One word: pass.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Balance&Options24 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:57 am

Denver should ask the Lakers for permission to talk to D' Antoni, that's his kind of roster.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:10 am

Balance&Options24 wrote:Denver should ask the Lakers for permission to talk to D' Antoni, that's his kind of roster.

Ironically I thought the exact same thing. Coach D would be amazing with that squad
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby revgen on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:18 am

Karl really doesn't fit our style IMO.

But he's still better than MDA since he encourages passing and man movement on offense more than shooting. Melo and Iverson drove him nuts with their chucking. And if we were to bring in Nate McMillan as defensive coordinator, he and Nate should be able to work together from their days in Seattle. Also, Karl , despite being an offensive coach, doesn't mind mixing in defensive players into his squads. If he can play Kenyon Martin and Faried, he'll play Jordan Hill and Earl Clark. But like MDA, he wants guys to run. That's not our style.

That's why I see him possibly going to the Clippers instead of coming here.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:46 am

Mitch will definitely talk to his UNC buddy...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby gcclaker on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:53 am

Agree with Puff, Rev and TRD...Karl's offensive philosophies are tailored for young, fast, athletic personnel. He was never a proponent of the slow down, grind it out play dating back to his Cavalier days. I find it odd that reportedly he is the Grizzlies favored choice after this development. Shaw though unproven at the head coaching level is the perfect fit since he is already familiar with the core BUT he is forever linked to you know who. Regardless, we're all stuck with Coach Hee Haw for the time being...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:39 pm

I agree D'antoni would do great in Denver. Our roster isn't ideal for Karl but I have much more confidence in him to compromise & find a way to win. Would love to see those 2 change places.
lakersin4

Postby Center Court on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:09 pm

gcclaker wrote:Agree with Puff, Rev and TRD...Karl's offensive philosophies are tailored for young, fast, athletic personnel. He was never a proponent of the slow down, grind it out play dating back to his Cavalier days. I find it odd that reportedly he is the Grizzlies favored choice after this development. Shaw though unproven at the head coaching level is the perfect fit since he is already familiar with the core BUT he is forever linked to you know who. Regardless, we're all stuck with Coach Hee Haw for the time being...

Karl is one of the best coaches in the NBA. He's always been good at finding out the pulse of his team and then putting the right type of style together. To say he's one type of style of basketball is IMO inaccurate. He had a team than even Phil Jackson would implore to run. No way he'd run Kobe/Nash into the ground. He knows the value of a big man who can post,

Also, we have Mr. Offense as our head coach now so to swap in Karl would probably be a slower style of game anyway.
Center Court

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:41 pm

Center Court wrote:two words

GEORGE KARL

i'd take Hollins over Karl in 7 seconds or less.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby gcclaker on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Center Court wrote:
gcclaker wrote:Agree with Puff, Rev and TRD...Karl's offensive philosophies are tailored for young, fast, athletic personnel. He was never a proponent of the slow down, grind it out play dating back to his Cavalier days. I find it odd that reportedly he is the Grizzlies favored choice after this development. Shaw though unproven at the head coaching level is the perfect fit since he is already familiar with the core BUT he is forever linked to you know who. Regardless, we're all stuck with Coach Hee Haw for the time being...

Karl is one of the best coaches in the NBA. He's always been good at finding out the pulse of his team and then putting the right type of style together. To say he's one type of style of basketball is IMO inaccurate. He had a team than even Phil Jackson would implore to run. No way he'd run Kobe/Nash into the ground. He knows the value of a big man who can post

Also, we have Mr. Offense as our head coach now so to swap in Karl would probably be a slower style of game anyway.

I've seen his stints in Cleveland [World B. Free, Roy Hinson], Golden State [Floyd, Carroll, Mullin, Short], Seattle [Payton, Kemp], Milwaukee [Cassel, Allen, Glenn Robinson] and Denver...never differed to me. I have to say he did adapt his offense around a team effort after Anthony was gone but still a fast attack racehorse basketball. He always fielded high scoring squads that did well. Of course if Jackson had that caliber of offensive talent, he would implore them to run. Makes perfect sense.

Maybe he will ADJUST according to the strenghts and age of the team IF that was to happen but I expected that from our current one which NEVER transpired. I agree with you that Karl would be better than D'Antoni at managing egos and maintaining minutes.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:54 pm

I think Karl is capable of adjusting. He's not a guy who hates postups like D'Antoni. He often put Melo and Andre Miller in postup positions. But he's not a guy who does "bullyball" the way Memphis does. Hence why Hollins is a better fit.

Replacing Karl with D'Antoni IMO would only be done to try to forge the gap between the players who want to slow it down and play inside-out and the owner who wants showtime back.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby gcclaker on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:01 pm

revgen wrote:I think Karl is capable of adjusting. He's not a guy who hates postups like D'Antoni. He often put Melo and Andre Miller in postup positions. But he's not a guy who does "bullyball" the way Memphis does. Hence why Hollins is a better fit.

Replacing Karl with D'Antoni IMO would only be done to try to forge the gap between the players who want to slow it down and play inside-out and the owner who wants showtime back.

Well, that is ONE positive over D'Antoni who took 81 games to have an epiphany that the Howard and Gasol combo could work. Karl is savvy enough to realize that in a much, much shorter span. He had decent to very good post players on his teams including the ones you mentioned and did utilize them but still he advocated a faster tempo most of the time.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 51s
Beyond Brian Shaw and Lionel Hollins, Denver plans to examine Nate McMillan and Alvin Gentry for head coaching job, league sources tell Y!

Hopefully these head coaching jobs in Denver, Brooklyn, LAC, and Detroit are filled sooner rather than later and Nate and Alvin don't get any of those gigs. We need all the help on our bench that we can get.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:39 pm

JSM wrote:
Beyond Brian Shaw and Lionel Hollins, Denver plans to examine Nate McMillan and Alvin Gentry for head coaching job, league sources tell Y!

Hopefully these head coaching jobs in Denver, Brooklyn, LAC, and Detroit are filled sooner rather than later and Nate and Alvin don't get any of those gigs. We need all the help on our bench that we can get.

Agree. Both would be capable assistants. Possible happenings:

Karl - Clippers
Shaw - Brooklyn
Hollins - Denver

That leaves Dee...troit. I doubt Scott would take that job. He probably still has the Lakers as his "dream" gig. McMillan would likely had the edge on Gentry for the Denver job. I think I read somewhere that ex-Hawks coach Drew was in line for Memphis.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:42 pm

^ I think that's a very likely destination for each of those three, as well. Maybe Scott takes Memphis, don't think it's that great of a fit but he has the biggest name for Memphis to sell the fan base on (outside of Karl). I think Cheeks might get a chance with the Pistons.

Bucks snatched up Drew.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Center Court on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:45 pm

At this point, a guy with a spine and a strong track record would be more effective than MDA. Even if he did less x and o's.

Anyway, I hate MDA and I doubt he comes into the offense with some new found love for post play and methodical offense.

McMill
Scott
Karl
Hollins
Shaw
Gentry
Cheeks
Drew
_______

Clippers
Denver
Detroit
Memphis
Detroit
Nets

IMO Clippers will get who they want. Then Brooklyn. Then the rest sort of just settle for the most preferred option.
Center Court

Postby gcclaker on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Center Court wrote:At this point, a guy with a spine, a brain and a strong track record would be more effective than MDA. Even if he did less x and o's.

Anyway, I hate MDA and I doubt he comes into the offense with some new found love for post play and methodical offense.

McMill
Scott
Karl
Hollins
Shaw
Gentry
Cheeks
Drew
_______

Clippers
Denver
Detroit
Memphis
Detroit
Nets

IMO Clippers will get who they want. Then Brooklyn. Then the rest sort of just settle for the most preferred option.

Amended...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:10 pm

My thoughts:

Karl to the Clippers

Shaw to the Nets (or Grizzlies)

McMillan to the Grizzlies (or Pistons)

Gentry to the Nuggets

Hollins to the Pistons (or Nets)

Pringles to Lakers
Chillbongo

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:09 pm

gcclaker wrote:
JSM wrote:

Agree. Both would be capable assistants. Possible happenings:

Karl - Clippers
Shaw - Brooklyn
Hollins - Denver

That leaves Dee...troit. I doubt Scott would take that job. He probably still has the Lakers as his "dream" gig. McMillan would likely had the edge on Gentry for the Denver job. I think I read somewhere that ex-Hawks coach Drew was in line for Memphis.
I think those are pretty good guessed but could see Brooklyn breaking the bank for a big name like Karl. Also it seems Cheeks is going to get the Detroit job. I doubt Denver wants Nate as his teams advanced defensive stats show that he wasn't much of a defensive coach, & we all know Hollinger is on top of that. I think we'll be able to get Gentry for sure, & possibly Nate too.
lakersin4

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:00 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Balance&Options24 wrote:Denver should ask the Lakers for permission to talk to D' Antoni, that's his kind of roster.

Ironically I thought the exact same thing. Coach D would be amazing with that squad

Until the post season got serious then same old story where his shortcomings would be too much to even get out of the west. Ever.
LTLakerFan

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard