Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:06 am

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 6h
Y! Sources: OKC assistant Mo Cheeks has emerged as the strong frontrunner to become the next Detroit Pistons coach. http://tinyurl.com

One more job may be taken. This was a job that McMillian had interviewed for and was considered a likely candidate to be hired, but apparently, that's not happening.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:13 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:
Y! Sources: OKC assistant Mo Cheeks has emerged as the strong frontrunner to become the next Detroit Pistons coach. http://tinyurl.com

One more job may be taken. This was a job that McMillian had interviewed for and was considered a likely candidate to be hired, but apparently, that's not happening.

I feel bad hoping this, but I hope he doesn't get a HC job so he can come here and beat some sense into D'Antoni. This is easily the beset Assistant Coaching job on the market. If he can't grab a Head Coaching gig anywhere, then he's got to come here.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:33 pm

therealdeal wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:

I feel bad hoping this, but I hope he doesn't get a HC job so he can come here and beat some sense into D'Antoni. This is easily the beset Assistant Coaching job on the market. If he can't grab a Head Coaching gig anywhere, then he's got to come here.

Agreed!

I think Memphis is the team that will really push for him going forward but let's hope not. Even though that is a messed up wish.

If we can get Gentry and Nate, I'd feel really good about our staff.
Center Court

Postby Armani on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:38 pm

If, by any means, we could get Hollins over here... this guy is a very, very good coach. Would solve the defensive issues of this team instantly.
Armani

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:21 pm

What if Dan doesn't bring in anyone capable of being head coach trying to protect his own butt. It's his choice isn't it? Would Jimmy have the sense to insist on any assistants Mitch and he would like to see? Just in case :man12: :man1:
LTLakerFan

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:56 am

Armani wrote:If, by any means, we could get Hollins over here... this guy is a very, very good coach. Would solve the defensive issues of this team instantly.

Hollins didn't put the Grizz defensive schemes in place , Joerger did ...
wcsoldier81

Postby borri on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:09 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:
Armani wrote:If, by any means, we could get Hollins over here... this guy is a very, very good coach. Would solve the defensive issues of this team instantly.

Hollins didn't put the Grizz defensive schemes in place , Joerger did ...

And it kinda helps that Conley are Allen are pretty gosh darn good perimeter defenders. You can't coach speed and quickness.
borri

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 2h
Little tug-of-war over Lakers asst Darvin Ham. CHA and ATL both interested, sources say. Either way, another well liked Laker asst gone.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby noobiew on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Nevermind, we still have the D'Antoni brothers
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby XXIV on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:28 pm

noobiew wrote:Nevermind, we still have the D'Antoni brothers

:hurl:
XXIV

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:33 am

Seeing all these coaches that are free to be hired this offseason and then seeing we have the rushed decision of MDA still sticking here like gum on the bottom of your shoes has me shaking my head.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:14 am

Doc Brown wrote:Seeing all these coaches that are free to be hired this offseason and then seeing we have the rushed decision of MDA still sticking here like gum on the bottom of your shoes has me shaking my head.

+1. Great analogy Doc! :bow:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:08 pm

^Gum eventually can be scraped off. :man1:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby D.B. Cooper on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:41 pm

I hate that he has his brother on the staff and not a good reputable assistant.
D.B. Cooper

Postby purp n gold on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Teams that had BETTER seasons than us are getting rid of their coaches. Why on Earth are we keeping D'Antoni?!
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Weezy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:27 pm

This thread has become depressing. Lot of available good coaches and we currently have only 'Antoni and 'Antoni.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:59 pm

ESPNLA 710 Radio ‏@ESPNLA710 1m
Shaq on D'Antoni: In Mike D'Antoni's fairness, he's a good coach. If you give him your all, he'll do good things--but he's a great coach too
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

ESPNLA 710 Radio ‏@ESPNLA710 3m
Shaq on state of #Lakers: "If I had any control, I would probably go with Phil too because Dwight needs a guy like Phil to stay on him"
Expand

ESPNLA 710 Radio ‏@ESPNLA710 4m
Shaq on available coaches: "I like J-Kidd but not before B-Shaw"
Expand
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby BDG on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Wild theory: what if Phil told them, I'll come back but I'm not coming back in the middle of a season. Wait till next year.

Ok probably not, but I can dream can't I?
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Reading between the lines, Shaq confirmed why Phil isn't (and probably won't be our coach).

Paraphrasing:
"Jerry Buss was a visionary. His daughter is really good too (he seemed to say it in a way of intentional omission of Jim). I have too much respect for what they did for me to speak about what they should have done with hiring a coach." (Kellerman goes on a rant about how it made no sense to not go with Phil.) Shaq: "Yup, the reason he wasn't hired is that it was personal."
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Weezy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:50 pm

I think all of Laker fans, all of the media/ESPN, pretty much anyone that knows about the Lakers at all, know that Phil wasn't hired because it was "personal". There's no other reason to dive right in with 'Antoni, the "he fit the personnel better" excuse is a joke, our team is old as hell. The ONLY benefit to 'Antoni was supposed to be for Nash, and I think Phil would have been better for his career at this age as well.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:23 pm

I don't think Shaw's hunt for a HC job is going as well as he planned. 4 hour interview with the Nets & they hire Kidd instead.. Clips are hoping for Doc to leave Boston. These other teams aren't snatching him up like it seemed they would. If he strikes out on a HC job with a good team, anyone think he might come back here & assist D'antoni? Obviously if he's as good as he seems, it wouldn't be long until he took over the big chair. We've passed on him twice though so I'm not sure if there's any interest by either party.
lakersin4

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Weezy wrote:I think all of Laker fans, all of the media/ESPN, pretty much anyone that knows about the Lakers at all, know that Phil wasn't hired because it was "personal". There's no other reason to dive right in with 'Antoni, the "he fit the personnel better" excuse is a joke, our team is old as hell. The ONLY benefit to 'Antoni was supposed to be for Nash, and I think Phil would have been better for his career at this age as well.

Well yeah coming in, Nash was really the only reason D'antoni made sense, but now that we saw last season, I don't think it was just Nash that he helped, as Blake was better under D'antoni than he has been at any other point as a Laker. Duhon also had some good games when Nash was out to start the season. D'antoni is just a great PG coach. Also, his system might have been the reason Earl Clark broke out. After the D12/Pau experiment initially failed, having a tweener come in & hit 3's & run back on transition gave our team a new dynamic. Not sure he would have got that shot under Phil.
lakersin4

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Doubt that..... 2 posts up. Why would Shaw come away from the pretty good situation he's in, if he has to be an assistant for now, to work under a guy like Dan Tony.
LTLakerFan

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:51 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Doubt that..... 2 posts up. Why would Shaw come away from the pretty good situation he's in, if he has to be an assistant for now, to work under a guy like Dan Tony.

Well as I mentioned, I think he'd have a good shot at taking the HC job from D'antoni sooner than later.. I doubt Vogel will leave Indiana before our FO runs out of excuses for D'antoni.
lakersin4

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:48 pm

To our suck bleep coaching predicament though, Dan gets to pick who he wants to bring in as assistants right? I can't imagine why he would bring anyone in that he figures the F.O. might want to replace him with at some point. Can only hope. God I hate the stupid bleep decision to saddle us with this guy....... Mr. "Will Never Win Jack"

Probably costs us Howard and another do nothing in the playoffs season. :bang:
LTLakerFan

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard