Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Weezy on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:54 pm

Sad that it's even a choice one has to think over now, the freakin Clippers.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:15 am

it's not like alvin gentry is even that good though...cmon now. or is he? dunno.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:21 am

Gentry > D'Antoni

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby kenzo on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:26 am

GoldenKnight wrote:
Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 2m

Alvin Gentry will decide between joining Lakers and Clippers staff in next couple of days.

He'll choose the Floppers. Who in the right mind would like to "serve" under MDA :freak2:
kenzo

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:48 am

kenzo wrote:
GoldenKnight wrote:
Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 2m

Alvin Gentry will decide between joining Lakers and Clippers staff in next couple of days.

He'll choose the Floppers. Who in the right mind would like to "serve" under MDA :freak2:

Well Gentry coached under 'Antoni before I believe, before he took over for him in Phoenix, so if he does choose the Clippers, my opinion of 'Antoni will be even lower.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:00 am

^ Yes he did. But after he got a head coach job his mind had to change a bit. I know i wouldn't pick Mike to be my boss :man9:
kenzo

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:54 am

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 7h

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 7h
Gentry would be an associate head coach on Doc's staff. His institutional knowledge is a huge bonus. Tough call bc friendship with MDA tho
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:46 am

And he did state previously that an assistant coaching position for the Lakers is the best assistant coaching job in the NBA.

Man...

Literally the only way I'm in any way comfortable with D'Antoni moving forward is with Gentry and McMillan on staff too. But we have no momentum and very little pull here. If neither of them are on staff we're in big trouble and it's looking like we might not get either.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:48 am

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/349960518477422592

Alvin Gentry will join Doc Rivers staff with the Clippers, source tells ESPN. DAntoni gave his blessing this morning.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:48 am

Good...we can get Nate McMillan then

Gentry doesnt really impress me

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:50 am

F***...

This season sucks already. Gentry was probably one of the ONLY reasons to continue to back D'Antoni. We're not only missing on players and coaches, but now assistant coaches.

S*** is looking pretty bad in Lakerland.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:52 am

Hahaha, knew it :man9:
kenzo

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:57 am

This is what I don't get...

If the crew MDA wants isn't available and taking other jobs, what does he turn to?

Just a group of randoms with resumes making the best case for the spot? I don't like that idea one bit.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:13 pm

Even 'Antoni's old crew is not interested in joining him, and we're sticking by this clown why? Man this season is already disappointing me and the draft isn't even here yet.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:26 pm

It's kind of sad that we're going to lose out on Dwight because of Mike D'Antoni. I would do the same honestly, I wouldn't waste the prime of my career playing for a coach who doesn't know how to use me properly. It's the Lakers own stupid fault for continually backing coaches who don't know what the hell they are doing. It's a scary thought to think about where this franchise would be without Phil.

I gave MDA somewhat of a pass this season because the injuries made this team a mess and he eventually relinquished control because things were headed for disaster. However I can't see him doing that again and if this becomes apparent to Dwight he's a goner.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:28 pm

The front office might be the only people supporting Pringles at this point. Imagine Gentry prefers to go work for a guy who beat him for a position he really wanted than to reunite with his old "boss" on the freaking Lakers of all teams.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby kenzo on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:The front office might be the only people supporting Pringles at this point. Imagine Gentry prefers to go work for a guy who beat him for a position he really wanted than to reunite with his old "boss" on the freaking Lakers of all teams.

They are the only ones :freak2: I don't think more than 1-2% of Lakers fans are "pro" MDA.
kenzo

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:The front office might be the only people supporting Pringles at this point. Imagine Gentry prefers to go work for a guy who beat him for a position he really wanted than to reunite with his old "boss" on the freaking Lakers of all teams.

^^ It's pretty sad, really. I just don't understand why the FO is willing to roll the dice with Dwight just to keep D' Antoni. The guy was an awful choice from day one. Now they run the risk of losing their FA just because they are backing this guy. To me it's just kind of stupid. Unless they really don't care about keeping Dwight. If that's the case, then fine, don't worry about the coach. But if they are trying to keep him here fire the guy and pick up one of the good coaches that's on the market. Doc Brown and realdeal went over it thoroughly on the last page and I'm in agreement with them on basically all that they said.

It's just a VERY strange vibe from the Lakers right now. Like they really want Dwight, but aren't willing to do what it takes to keep him. To me it's a very passive position they are taking . . . They are sending mixed signals really. Like we want you, but we won't make any changes or give you any assurances besides a paycheck. He's already basically said through his mouthpieces that he doesn't like D' Antoni, would like Phil and Jeannie somehow involved in the running of the FO . . . These are things that are actually good for the franchise, not diva demands. These are things the majority of the fanbase would love to see, too.

I am going to try to restrain myself from throwing stones here . . . but it really does have the feel of Jim Buss. His sister warned that he was too passive and indecisive for this job in that famous article about the family. She might have been dead on the money.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:51 pm

And re: Gentry going to the Clippers, it's not a good sign. I wasn't really high on the idea of three head coaches (coaching by committee) in the first place as it was kind of disastrous last year, but in this case at least it had more of a chance of working since Gentry and McMillan had worked with D' Antoni before. To lose Gentry is a bad sign. To the F'ing Paper Clips? Are you kidding me?
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:57 pm

:bang: DAMN IT Gentry!

There are becoming fewer and fewer options out there to save our bench in the form of an assistant coach.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby kenzo on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:59 pm

The only thing keeping Mike as our HC is Jim's (FO's) pride :bang:
kenzo

Postby The Rock on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:04 pm

If we're gonna fire MDA we do it the 1st week of July. Not now, Dwight will change his mind we gotta do something that will stick fresh in his mind. I think if it comes down to Dwight or MDA, MDA will be canned

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:05 pm

https://twitter.com/KevinDing/status/350010584093302785

Here's a new one: Clippers outbid Lakers so far in $ that it was an easy decision for Alvin Gentry to join Doc Rivers over D'Antoni.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:13 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man6:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:14 pm

Sterling is historically a very cheap man who doesn't even like paying people money after he's signed them.

If the Lakers really wanted Gentry (and if they do fully support Pringles and want to give him the best chance to succeed then they should have), then I find it hard to believe that they'd not only lose a bidding war to the Clippers, but apparently get crushed.

This might be a good sign that the Lakers aren't as confident in Pringles as they've been claiming. Or maybe Im just seeing what I want to see.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard