Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:14 pm

Everyone in hell is putting on winter jackets and boots because hell has officially frozen over.

Donald Sterling outspending the Lakers. :man11:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby kenzo on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:15 pm

I hope this means we're looking at the new coach. Getting outbid by Sterling :freak2: :man3:
kenzo

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Outbid by the Clippers? :man10: Oh my goodness when am I going to wake up from this twilight zone world.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:Sterling is historically a very cheap man who doesn't even like paying people money after he's signed them.

If the Lakers really wanted Gentry (and if they do fully support Pringles and want to give him the best chance to succeed then they should have), then I find it hard to believe that they'd not only lose a bidding war to the Clippers, but apparently get crushed.

This might be a good sign that the Lakers aren't as confident in Pringles as they've been claiming. Or maybe Im just seeing what I want to see.

This was the second thing to run through my head right after "WHAT THE F***??"

Something doesn't smell right here. If we're all in on D'Antoni, then why aren't we paying enough to get his assistants? Something doesn't add up.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Serious question, because Ive been so over this guy that Ive tried to not even read any news containing his name, but how many new assistant coaches has Pringles hired so far in the off-season?
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:Serious question, because Ive been so over this guy that Ive tried to not even read any news containing his name, but how many new assistant coaches has Pringles hired so far in the off-season?

He hired a player development coach. That's it though. He wants to hire 2 assistant coaches, so far it's still at zero.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:46 pm

It must be so embarrassing for him personally to be cutting coaches so that he can bring in his guys and then not being able to acquire them.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby bigdog2013 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:57 pm

I would love to see him bring on some former lakers to be on his staff. like cooper, b scott, even rambis
bigdog2013

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:45 pm

can't blame gentry for wanting to steer clear of this mishmash. the great dr. buss is gone, the future of the club uncertain. yes there's history and greatness, but this new breed hasn't exactly done anything to build any confidence to outsiders looking in. add more money offered on top of that...no brainer for alvin.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby TaniBoyz on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:50 pm

is something about to happen?
TaniBoyz

Postby Center Court on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:52 pm

Gentry would have been a great addition, no doubt. But let's not act like an assisstant coach is going to turn Mike into Phil. He still sucks as head coach. It's sad the Clips outbid us and he turned down friendship with MDA and admiration of Kobe for the Clippers, but oh well.

Something tells me Nate goes elsewhere. I hope I'm wrong but it's my gut. Between Gentry and Nate, I'll take Nate.

Just bring Phil back, guarantee resigning Dwight, restore confidence in Laker brass, and let's go compete for a ring. Holding onto MDA to see what a full off-season will do is a recipe for failure. If there is no Dwight, we're giving up 105 per game and this Kobe/this Nash/this Pau can't do nearly enough to compete with that.

This is the one thing I don't get about this decision, hiring Phil is the ONLY thing that can damn near guarantee Dwight comes back and restores faith in this franchise. Yet they are holding off of that to save a few million. They could have amnestied Metta last year which would have saved $7MM, they could have dumped Blake, they could have moved players for cheaper players all would have saved them money but they didn't. Now they can't just fire this retard of a coach?
Center Court

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:54 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:can't blame gentry for wanting to steer clear of this mishmash. the great dr. buss is gone, the future of the club uncertain. yes there's history and greatness, but this new breed hasn't exactly done anything to build any confidence to outsiders looking in. add more money offered on top of that...no brainer for alvin.

It is a no brainer, the sad part is that it's come to this, Clippers are a better destination. I was watching Doc's interview on ESPN today with Shelley Smith, and he's just such a competent coach, intelligent, comes off as laid back but yet his words carry confidence and weight (at least that's how I saw it). He was praising KG as a player, teammate, and leader, talked about the Celtics with great respect, you could actually see 2 franchises at once possibly liking and respecting this guy. The Clippers got themselves a great head coach, in comparison 'Antoni comes off as an even bigger clown that has no idea what he's doing other than spouting clichès.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:57 pm

The Rock wrote:https://twitter.com/KevinDing/status/350010584093302785

Here's a new one: Clippers outbid Lakers so far in $ that it was an easy decision for Alvin Gentry to join Doc Rivers over D'Antoni.

Can anyone confirmed was this true ? so the money was the deciding factor and the Lakers outbid by the Clippers ? the freaking Clippers ?! Are you kidding me !

I thought Donald Sterling was a cheap and meddling owner how could he outbid us ! Jim Buss is a moron and has tarnished the Lakers reputation so much.

:bang: :bang: :bang:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby charvin on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:16 pm

It's unlikely, but I honestly hope that the lack of new assistant coaches the Lakers have hired is because they're waiting to can D'antoni.
charvin

Postby karacha on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:29 am

I don't get it.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:31 am

This is truly the most depressing thread I've ever read. It's like Pringles himself - just dismal and uninspired. Sad news and that's it. Please get this guy out of MY LAKERS!!!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:23 am

Doc Brown

Postby diehard on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:34 am

The problem is that if they fire D'Antoni then it looks like Howard pushed him out and the criticism of he's a coach killer follows him. The ironic thing is than Phil never preaches defense either.
"Be true to yourself and you will never fall."

Ron Artest: Is it freaky if your girl has a barbed wired thong and comes in the room with plastic sporks? Twitter
diehard

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:38 am

Just swallow your damn pride, Jim, and hire Phil to a consultant role to serve as some figurehead and sign of good faith to Howard and the fans. Howard should probably stay and then they can keep MDA for this year only so it doesn't look like Dwight forced the Lakers' hand.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby JSM on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:51 am

Now Jim has to make a decision...Dwight or MDA. Let's see just how stubborn he really is.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby KentuckyLaker on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:08 am

Adrain Wojnarowski: Nate McMillan is finalizing an agreement to become the top assistant coach with the Indiana Pacers, league sources tell Y! Sports.
"Everything negative- pressure, challenges -is all an opportunity for me to rise. "

- Kobe Bryant

Bred and raised in the hills of Eastern Kentucky, following the Lakers and UK Wildcats for life.
KentuckyLaker

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 am

D'Antoni has to go...

There's really no other choice here and I think the world sees it. The Lakers FO MUST know that everyone in the world is looking at this situation as "D'Antoni is worse than Howard's desire to get him fired".

It's NOT about Dwight wanting him gone. It's about the fans, the public, the people paying to watch this team.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 am

^ There goes another one. :disagree:

No worthwhile assistants left. MDA needs to do the right thing and step aside due "health" or "family" reasons.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:17 am

If MDA's "crew" doesn't want to come coach with him, why the hell should we put up with MDA and two random turds?

I want a coach that has a crew so that they come in with a purpose, a direction, not some half a** feeling out process where they don't know the boundaries of their jobs and are basically MDA's puppets.
Doc Brown

Postby jlkr on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:27 am

Well the Clips are the better destination right now, no doubt about that. Doc Rivers says he coaches for titles, why else would he leave a Boston franchise he loved working for? Gentry's looking for titles too, long term he thinks that if the Clips do really well, that will get his name back into the upper tier of coaching candidates.

That said, I think Jackson is done as a head coach, but I think he would be great in a Tex Winter type of role: come to the home games and home practices, don't go on the road. Be a consultant and confidante for Kobe and D12, help MDA craft a post game worthy of D12's meager post skillset, etc.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard