Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Center Court on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:26 am

Finwë wrote:
Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi
D'Antoni: "You don't win the championship in June. You win it today... It starts today."

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan
Mike D'Antoni on Lakers' woeful loss to SAC: "If we want to play Showtime, they just closed the theatre on us."

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi
D'Antoni: "I thought we were very lethargic. The first half might have been the worst basketball I've seen in 10 years."

At least he's being straight with the media. Hopefully he does something about it in practice

Let's hope he means what he's saying.

He needs to really get Dwight involved on a more dominant fashion. I'm guessing he's going to rely on Nash to be the person tp turn this above average team into this juggernaut
Center Court

Postby MC on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:44 am

turnovers crept up on this team yet again last night. They looked like a tired team after the hard fought game the night before vs the Nets.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:51 am

Gonna take a while for us to get a sense of what kind of offensive (and defensive) performances we can expect to see nightly under MDA. I think in a recap of his press conference I heard him say that his offense is about getting the best shot off in 34 seconds or less but he'd like to up the tempo, so we'll see.

Having Nash back will change alot, he's a huge piece of any offense, but especially Pringles'. Id be lying if I said I wasn't a bit nervous to see just how much of our success is on Nash's shoulders though, but thats another story, as is our defense.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby XXIV on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:59 am

I feel he needs to use the bench a bit more, mainly Jamison and Hill. He doesn't have to substitute both at the same time, just continue to switch them out with the starters. It was obvious last night that the team was very tired (except for Kobe/Meeks) and it was causing turnovers that really shouldn't happen.

I don't believe we'll see the true nature of this offense until Nash returns, so hopefully that doesn't take too much longer.
XXIV

Postby 432J on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:00 am

The Rock wrote:This is becoming another "Portland" I think they just show up to play us like its their SuperBowl. Seriously I wouldn't be too upset about tonights loss. Sucks that we didnlt match their energy and intensity but we'll be fine moving forward

exactly

this is definitely not the first time they've lost to a lousy team. the kings, bobcats, and blazers are always thorns in the lakers' side. they play the lakers like its game 7 of the finals since they have nothing else going for them and the lakers just cant match that intensity level. which is why the loss to the kings doesn't surprise me one bit
432J

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:23 am

I think part of the problem is the personnel. We need more shooters to space the floor. Howard had really no room to operate. Anytime he caught the ball he was getting doubled or tripled. That is due to the lack of shooters. Also, Howard wasn't receiving the ball in good spots. As much as you guys knock Blake, he'll be a better backup to Nash than either Duhon or Morris. Morris played well but he misses guys sometimes and is a little reckless. I watched him miss Meeks, who was wide open, several times last night in the first half. Morris just didn't see him. Nash will get all those guys involved.

Teams will adjust to the Lakers offense. IMO, Mitch needs to make some moves.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby karacha on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:24 am

Tobias Funke wrote:...his offense is about getting the best shot off in 34 seconds or less ...

That would be a very, very slow offense. :man12:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JLaker17 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:33 am

Jamison needs to play the 4, whether it be with starters or the bench. Even though he has struggled, he is perfect with this system. HIll and Howard should never be on the court at the same time, Hill taking those shots from the top is just not efficient enough.
JLaker17

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:34 am

karacha wrote:
Tobias Funke wrote:...his offense is about getting the best shot off in 34 seconds or less ...

That would be a very, very slow offense. :man12:

I will not edit! :man10:
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Armani on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:26 pm

I didn't like the execution with 5 mins to go.. why did we have to take all those 3's? Dwight really needs to be utilized more. He's the best center in the league.
Armani

Postby venky on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:29 pm

I'll say this: benching Pau in the 4th was a major positive for me. It shows he has a spine. You guys think Mike Brown would have benched Pau? Heck no.
venky

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:30 pm

He benched Pau. :bow:

He needs to play Meeks/Hill more. :bang:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Lakers nation is seriously confused if they think the problem is all Pau and the absence of Nash.

We have an about to turn 39 PG not certain on when his return is and if our execution looks this bad without him (outside of some wins against lowly teams) then how can anybody feel comfortable about this situation?

The tempo doesn't favor our bigs and now if you're forced to trade Pau to get a more favorable roster for this offense, then you had no business bringing this offense in here in the first place.

Relying on the 3 ball and this helter skelter BS (that isn't anywhere near Showtime) isn't going to win you hardware....PERIOD!

Nash will invigorate this team when he returns, but when you have your key FA this summer getting next to no touches and you need a 39 year old PG to get him those touches, there's a problem!

Showtime revival? So far its more like Kob3ball revival.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Pau is the monkey wrench thrown in this system, Dan Tony needs movers not stationary turds out there.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Armani on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Doc Brown wrote:He benched Pau. :bow:

Jamison was hot tonight, and he rode the hot hand. Cutting Hill's minutes tonight was probably the right decision. I wish some of those Pau minutes went to Hill... but there was no way MDA would've known the guy played horribly for all 28 minutes. :man11:
Armani

Postby GoldenChocobo on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Mad props for benching Pau.
GoldenChocobo

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Armani wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:He benched Pau. :bow:

Jamison was hot tonight, and he rode the hot hand. Cutting Hill's minutes tonight was probably the right decision. I wish some of those Pau minutes went to Hill... but there was no way MDA would've known the guy played horribly for all 28 minutes. :man11:

Howard played 40. Hill could of gotten the minutes D12 was laboring out there.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:41 pm

'Antoni's favorite answer to questions "I don't know you'd have to ask him". You're a freaking head coach, you SHOULD know.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby bumrusherer on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:55 pm

Weezy wrote:'Antoni's favorite answer to questions "I don't know you'd have to ask him". You're a freaking head coach, you SHOULD know.

Its an easy way to deflect a question you dont want to answer...nothing more, nothing less.
bumrusherer

Postby dj vitus on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:03 pm

bumrusherer wrote:
Weezy wrote:'Antoni's favorite answer to questions "I don't know you'd have to ask him". You're a freaking head coach, you SHOULD know.

Its an easy way to deflect a question you dont want to answer...nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, I'd hate to have to answer a bunch of loaded questions on the fly when I would rather be on the plane to Dallas and regroup for the next game.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby revgen on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:10 pm

I'm okay with him benching Pau and giving Jamison more minutes.

I'm not okay with him benching Hill though. I thought he could have helped us out. I know Dwight's 26 years old, but he's coming off back surgery. A few more minutes to Hill at C could have helped.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby JGC on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Just because I need something to humor me, I kinda want Mike to say, we are now going to run the Princeton. It's going to take time, so be patient.
JGC

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:29 pm

revgen wrote:I'm okay with him benching Pau and giving Jamison more minutes.

I'm not okay with him benching Hill though. I thought he could have helped us out. I know Dwight's 26 years old, but he's coming off back surgery. A few more minutes to Hill at C could have helped.

Agreed about Hill - he should've got some burn at the 5, but D' Antoni doesn't seem to be too high on Hill.

Benching Pau for Jamison was a great move. I have no problem with it. What I don't like is D' Antoni saying that stuff at the end - I think he's being a bit of a jerk towards Pau. Not cool in my book. Benching - not a problem, Jamison deserved the nod. I just didn't need to hear him saying things the little jabs at Pau and then saying if guys can't fit then they are going to get traded.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:37 pm

when the team isnt hustling to get rebounds you gotta play Hill. hes a game changer in that way. gives us extra possessions which down the game are very valuable. i think he needs the minutes he was getting. im all for playing jamison at the 4...we saw tonight how that can be a good thing.

we needa Jamison/Dwight unit and a Hill/Pau unit. Both have post scoring and both have rebounding and D. Pau and Dwight can start together so Pau doesnt get butt hurt, but after the first half of the first quarter or something the lineups change to those 2 and thats how it'll be. Pau can play in the paint with Hill playing D and getting rebounds, and Jamison can replicate what he did tonight with Dwight. Hopefully Dwight can use the space Jamison gives him better than the past 2 games bc hes not doing much on O
Ariza3

Postby revgen on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Lakerjones wrote:I think he's being a bit of a jerk towards Pau. Not cool in my book.

I don't think he was being a jerk. He was simply telling the truth. He benched Pau because he wanted to win the game. Plain and simple.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard