Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:48 pm

I agree with the people saying Dwight needs more touches. We need to be blowing teams out in 3 quarters so they can't hack their way back in the game, cuz our bench is out there. For now Jamison/Hill close games, when Pau is back it's Pau with Jamison & Hill alternating. If we're up big it won't be benching Dwight. Not that D'antoni should be scared to do that..
lakersin4

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:30 pm

Finwë wrote:We didn't get Phil. He's not coming back. We need to move on.

Thank You! I'm tired of everyone complaining. Nothing is going to change, whether you agree with the hire or not Mike D'Antoni is going to be our coach this year. Deal with it and move on.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Scnottaken on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:05 pm

lakersin4 wrote:I agree with the people saying Dwight needs more touches. We need to be blowing teams out in 3 quarters so they can't hack their way back in the game, cuz our bench is out there. For now Jamison/Hill close games, when Pau is back it's Pau with Jamison & Hill alternating. If we're up big it won't be benching Dwight. Not that D'antoni should be scared to do that..

Trodgers has already shown statistical evidence that Dwight is consuming quite a few possesions, so he is getting touches. And unlike Bynum, we can't just dump it into him and he'll go to work for a couple reasons: He will likely get fouled and miss 1/2 or 2/2, and he has the footwork of a paraplegic :man10: .
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby Finwë on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Scnottaken wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:I agree with the people saying Dwight needs more touches. We need to be blowing teams out in 3 quarters so they can't hack their way back in the game, cuz our bench is out there. For now Jamison/Hill close games, when Pau is back it's Pau with Jamison & Hill alternating. If we're up big it won't be benching Dwight. Not that D'antoni should be scared to do that..

Trodgers has already shown statistical evidence that Dwight is consuming quite a few possesions, so he is getting touches. And unlike Bynum, we can't just dump it into him and he'll go to work for a couple reasons: He will likely get fouled and miss 1/2 or 2/2, and he has the footwork of a paraplegic :man10: .

This. People don't get that touches don't = number of shots, especially for big men. They look at the box score and say "Howard only took 11 shots! We need to feed him the ball more", completely ignoring statistical evidence such as the one trodgers keeps updating that shows that he's getting the ball plenty.
When Howard gets the ball, one of these things happens:
-he takes a shot (hook / layup / dunk / putback / bank shot)
-he is fouled (non-shooting)
-he is fouled and shoots FTs
-he turns it over
-he is doubled and passes it out (regular pass or hockey assist)
-he is doubled and passes it out and gets and assist
He gets a lot of touches, 2nd most in the team, but he can't shoot it every time, nor do we really want him to force stuff.

I would agree though that we could do a better job in terms of getting him better looks. For example, we should look at how the Magic used him in P&R, with us it seems he's setting screens but rarely getting the ball back for an easy one, because there's not enough space sometimes or the screen is to high and the defense rotates in time, or something else happens. That's one example.
Also, many times his shots will be influenced by his hustle. If he works the glass and gets offensive rebounds he'll get way more opportunities for easy putbacks.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby thkthebest on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:03 pm

The number of touches that Dwight actually gets is less than any stat actually implies. A lot of Dwight's free throws have been intentional fouls. He uses a possession, technically, but he's not getting "touches". Dwight also averages 3.5 offensive rebounds per game. Technically, he's using a possession whenever he gets an offensive rebound and puts it back up, but that's not really him getting "touches". I guess it is technically, but I think what others are trying to say is that we should let Dwight initiate the offense from the post more.

I don't really mind though. When Nash gets back, I'm hoping he'll be able to distribute the ball more evenly and orchestrate our offense better. He'll find our team's best offensive advantage as opposed to giving a player touches for the sake of giving him touches.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:07 pm

If we throw out a lineup of Duhon/Meeks/Kobe/Jamison or MWP / D12.....

We should dump it into D12, that's the closest thing we can get to what D12 had in Orlando. I hope we use that lineup more going forward, especially when Nash comes back.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Doc Brown wrote:If we throw out a lineup of Duhon/Meeks/Kobe/Jamison or MWP / D12.....

We should dump it into D12, that's the closest thing we can get to what D12 had in Orlando. I hope we use that lineup more going forward, especially when Nash comes back.
This is what we need to do. Problem being Kobe has to play D if Metta isn't on the wings.
lakersin4

Postby lotus on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
Finwë wrote:We didn't get Phil. He's not coming back. We need to move on.

Thank You! I'm tired of everyone complaining. Nothing is going to change, whether you agree with the hire or not Mike D'Antoni is going to be our coach this year. Deal with it and move on.

I still wish we had Phil running the triangle, waxing zen wisdom, recommending books, quipping subtle humor, outwitting opposing coaches, leading the team to its 17th ring. But, instead we're running and gunning (and losing), though not scoring many points. :man5:
lotus

Postby Pig Miller on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:39 pm

i thought this new style of play was supposed to be fun?
Pig Miller

Postby karacha on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:43 pm

It is. Once you start winning.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:54 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Pig Miller on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:55 pm

karacha wrote:It is. Once you start winning.

we've been waiting 21 games for that to happen. guess the team just wants us to wait till the all star break.

if trudell was right, and mike D was talking about pushing the ball when we were down 6 points in the last 1.5 minutes, instead of focusing on defense, we're really going to be in for a long season.
Pig Miller

Postby karacha on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:59 pm

We'll have to wait some more, until Nash and Pau come back and then we'll see. I'm not saying it's suddenly going to much better. I don't know. But we'll have to wait. There's nothing else to be done.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Mike DAntoni is living to his reputation, no DEFENSE !
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby icencream27 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:00 pm

WE NEED A DEFENSIVE COACH

ONLY KINGS HAVE RINGS
icencream27

Postby ad2ian on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:03 pm

3 minutes left down by 10. How come they weren't pressing the ball?! :bang:
ad2ian

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:04 pm

ad2ian wrote:3 minutes left down by 10. How come they weren't pressing the ball?! :bang:

This isn't high school.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:12 pm

I would love to see a Meeks/Kobe/MWP/Hill/Dwight lineup. Morris is useless and Meeks can easily play better at the point next to Kobe.

Duhon had to play 48 mins in order for us to win tonight IMO with the turnovers we had
Ariza3

Postby trodgers on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:13 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
ad2ian wrote:3 minutes left down by 10. How come they weren't pressing the ball?! :bang:

This isn't high school.

:lol:
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby scott12199 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:15 pm

even with a defensive assistant coach, will MDA put in the right group of guys to play defense? We are in for a long season. I am just about ready to call it a season. It hurts too much to see my guys lose to mediocre teams. =(
scott12199

Postby Jellincon on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:24 pm

D'Antoni. I don't know if you've heard but defense wins championships. You might want to start stressing this during practice. Your team might start winning more games if you do.
Jellincon

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:24 pm

it was depressing hearing mike trudell report that d'antoni was talking about offense at the end of the game instead of getting stops
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby jbiggs on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:27 pm

karacha wrote:We'll have to wait some more, until Nash and Pau come back and then we'll see. I'm not saying it's suddenly going to much better. I don't know. But we'll have to wait. There's nothing else to be done.
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Escondido

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:10 pm

hope the road trip helps build some chemistry and get these guys to all unite and be on the same page defensively. Hill should be the one everyone should watch for energy and effort. I'm blaming the starters for a lack of effort etc. Bench guys brought it and thus stole MWP and Jamison's minutes.
Ariza3

Postby odom1year on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:18 pm

D'Antoni needs Nash in his strategy.
odom1year

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard