Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby lotus on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:27 pm

Why does Dantoni have the coaches left over from Mike Brown?

I can understand keeping Bernie, but Eddie Jordan? Darvin Ham? I can't imagine Phil doing that. He had his crew and they were with him for each gig.
lotus

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:35 am

This outside chucking puts our floor balance in jeopardy and turns into easy transition points for the opposition ...

Kobe needs to put his arse back on the low block ( it'll our floor balance too) ... I've never seen him post up so little .. even with Drew and Pau on the floor
wcsoldier81

Postby MC on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:21 am

Man I can't wait for Nash to get back so Mike can find his "genius" again lmfao.......... this guys is EXACTLY what I thought he was and that's far from genius.

Good to great coaches can adjust to their personnel
average to poor coaches force feed the only thing they know

this team is designed and built to run out of the post
this genius is running them like they are built to spread, high screen and probe.....

MDA can only spell genius one way and its N.A.S.H ............ the guy is a sham.

average coach getting below average results with his simpleton offense because his brain is still injured and deteriorating by age every year that passes. He has managed to take a team/roster design and play it to it's fatal flaws................... bringing up the pace and turning over the ball at around the same clip and establishing no low post presence...this guy still seeing his Suns roster out there? he learn NOTHING from his NY experience?
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby LooN3y on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:42 am

ive been saying, lets oust jim buss and MDA will find his own way out of this orgranization
LooN3y

Postby havoc33 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:34 am

MC wrote:Man I can't wait for Nash to get back so Mike can find his "genius" again lmfao.......... this guys is EXACTLY what I thought he was and that's far from genius.

Good to great coaches can adjust to their personnel
average to poor coaches force feed the only thing they know

this team is designed and built to run out of the post
this genius is running them like they are built to spread, high screen and probe.....

MDA can only spell genius one way and its N.A.S.H ............ the guy is a sham.

average coach getting below average results with his simpleton offense because his brain is still injured and deteriorating by age every year that passes. He has managed to take a team/roster design and play it to it's fatal flaws................... bringing up the pace and turning over the ball at around the same clip and establishing no low post presence...this guy still seeing his Suns roster out there? he learn NOTHING from his NY experience?

This. I called it when the deal was made. D'Antoni is a bad coach for this team. We cannot run and outscore other teams consistently, we simply do not have the personell to do so. And you can't expect the team to perform well on D with a coach who views defense as an afterthought. Now you are seeing him panick and start talking about our defensive issues, but I'm afraid the damage has already been done. I'm not totally giving up yet though. We will win more games with Nash back, problem is I still don't like our chances come Playoff time. If we somehow pull off a miracle and win it all, I'm not gonna give much credit to D'Antoni, because it will be because of the talent of our core players, not his coaching or stupid system.
havoc33

Postby DarthRekal on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:41 am

and yet JERRY SLOAN.. was NOT even LOOKED AT :disagree:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby D.B. Cooper on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:55 am

icencream27 wrote:WE NEED A DEFENSIVE COACH

We have one, his brother.
D.B. Cooper

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:04 am

DarthRekal wrote:and yet JERRY SLOAN.. was NOT even LOOKED AT :disagree:

^^ Exactly. This personnel was a GREAT fit for Jerry Sloan on offense. And he would have cracked them hard if they were slacking on defense.

Sloan was the right coach for these guys, but they didn't even give him a call. HOF coach - made the Finals twice and went to six both times against MJ's Bulls. There was no better coach on the table except Phil. If they didn't want Phil they should have at least given Sloan a call. Another missed opportunity just like Adelman was a year earlier.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LooN3y on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:08 am

Lakerjones wrote:
DarthRekal wrote:and yet JERRY SLOAN.. was NOT even LOOKED AT :disagree:

^^ Exactly. This personnel was a GREAT fit for Jerry Sloan on offense. And he would have cracked them hard if they were slacking on defense.

Sloan was the right coach for these guys, but they didn't even give him a call. HOF coach - made the Finals twice and went to six both times against MJ's Bulls. There was no better coach on the table except Phil. If they didn't want Phil they should have at least given Sloan a call. Another missed opportunity just like Adelman was a year earlier.

jim buss
LooN3y

Postby Pig Miller on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:15 am

anyone know if del harris is still available?
Pig Miller

Postby Poooky on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:21 am

What's funny is the Knicks are using his offense right now.

We need the personnel to fit his O. Once that happens, we will be fine.
""I eat babies!!! Woot woot"
Poooky

Postby 432J on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:11 am

icencream27 wrote:WE NEED A DEFENSIVE COACH

432J

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:20 am

lakerswiz wrote:So....

Where are the pitchforks?

:man10: :bow:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:23 am

The defense has been a problem since last year. That was and is my only concern going forward with D'Antoni. We're putting up points and suprisingly hitting the 3-ball at a very good percentage. As of last night, Trudell reported we were top 5 in the league.

During the beginning of the fourth quarter, when Utah streched the lead to 10, I knew we weren't coming back to win the game. We couldn't stop them. The team looked flat on that end, there is no communication, guys don't rotate, etc. No effort at all.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Greatest of All Time on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 am

Poooky wrote:What's funny is the Knicks are using his offense right now.

We need the personnel to fit his O. Once that happens, we will be fine.

The Knicks are using a much more creative version of it. They use Melo in the post as a scorer/facilitator and instead of having 3 guys stand around the 3 point line on the pick and roll they use double screens, triple screens, off ball screens, flare screens, even hand off pick and rolls from what I've seen. Their offense is much more varied and they don't need to run down the court as fast as they can to get a good shot off so they have more energy to play defense. They don't turn the ball over as much and they have a higher offensive and defensive rating than the Lakers as a result.

The Knicks' shooters aren't that much better and they're an even older team. I never thought I'd say this but I have a feeling the Knicks are going to make them look silly on Thursday. I was shocked to see that Mike Woodson of all people is utilizing such an offense. I think Jason Kidd played a huge part in creating their offense. It kind of reminds me of the 2010-2011 Mavericks offense actually.

I just checked and the Knicks have the 2nd ranked offense playing at the 26th slowest pace in the league. Meanwhile, the Lakers look good on paper with the #6 offense and #3 in pace but this is like Mike Brown in reverse. Mike Brown had a reputation as a defensive coach because he forces his teams to limit possessions and pace so teams scored less. With D'Antoni, it's about getting as many possessions as they can so they can score more. Although the Knicks aren't exactly a defensive juggernaut, they still have a higher defensive rating than the Lakers. The Knicks also average the lowest turnovers while the Lakers have the 2nd highest.
Last edited by Greatest of All Time on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Greatest of All Time

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:36 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:The defense has been a problem since last year. That was and is my only concern going forward with D'Antoni. We're putting up points and suprisingly hitting the 3-ball at a very good percentage. As of last night, Trudell reported we were top 5 in the league.

During the beginning of the fourth quarter, when Utah streched the lead to 10, I knew we weren't coming back to win the game. We couldn't stop them. The team looked flat on that end, there is no communication, guys don't rotate, etc. No effort at all.

^^ Absolutely agree.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:53 am

I can't believe some of you guys are talking about the offense :man10:
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Greatest of All Time on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:59 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:I can't believe some of you guys are talking about the offense :man10:

Offense and defense are not completely independent of each other, especially for an older team being forced to run up and down the court at a high pace.
Greatest of All Time

Postby Center Court on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:47 am

in some way a much better offense will lead to better defense. Less turnovers = less fastbreak defense. More made shots = less rebounds when other teams get out and run. More Nash-Dwight p'n'r = less jacking up 3's and Kobe chuck mode.

Unless Westbrook is our starting PG, our defense can only improve incrementally. Nash and Pau won't drastically change things. But, maybe a more proficient and balanced offense will lead to less opportunity for others and a more focused group.
Center Court

Postby Center Court on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:47 am

in some way a much better offense will lead to better defense. Less turnovers = less fastbreak defense. More made shots = less rebounds when other teams get out and run. More Nash-Dwight p'n'r = less jacking up 3's and Kobe chuck mode.

Unless Westbrook is our starting PG, our defense can only improve incrementally. Nash and Pau won't drastically change things. But, maybe a more proficient and balanced offense will lead to less opportunity for others and a more focused group.
Center Court

Postby DarthRekal on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:49 am

FREE BERNIE BICKERSTAFF
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Greatest of All Time on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:04 pm

lakerswiz wrote:
Center Court wrote: More Nash-Dwight p'n'r = less jacking up 3's and Kobe chuck mode.

Wide misconception of this pick and roll offense.

With it, since we're generally not running a set play or a set offensive, it's just a pick and roll at the top with 2 guys. Leaving the other 3 standing. Just standing.

And I promise you that's what they will do 98% of the time it's ran with Dwight and Nash. Standing. Kobe will be standing. Metta will be standing. And Pau will be standing.

What happens if the Dwight option isn't there and Nash can't penetrate?

Kicks it to Pau or Metta in the corner for a 3.

Or....

...without the set offense and the time being wasted off the clock after an unsuccessful attempt of the P&R using Nash / Dwight, this will just leave Kobe running around the court like a wide receiver on a last second hail mary just so we can all witness another 35 foot shot with 3 seconds left on the shot clock.

It's so exciting I can't quite wait!

Nash "probes" for 20 seconds until he magically creates something out of nothing in a close playoff game when the pace slows down and defenses tighten up.
Greatest of All Time

Postby easyguy on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:12 pm

I miss the past, where run and gun teams suck in the playoffs. I miss the part where good teams can slow the game down and play half court offense. This team was built to play in the past and not now.
easyguy

Postby MC on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:08 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:I can't believe some of you guys are talking about the offense :man10:

I can't believe there are people naive enough to think offense and defense are independent of each other in the game of basketball.

Center Court wrote:in some way a much better offense will lead to better defense. Less turnovers = less fastbreak defense. More made shots = less rebounds when other teams get out and run.

Bingo!

this teams weaknesses....... transition defense, team speed, currently no #1 PG, turnovers

MDA's system and philosophy only amplifies their issues right now..........

The fix.....

better shot selection and floor balance on offense.......... Systems like the Princeton and Triangle, once they are learned and ran properly, are designed not only to get guys shots but to also have floor balance out of those opportunities to be in position to defend vs transition basketball. MDA's system could care less about that....... his assumption within his style is my PG will create easy shots and they will go down and if it doesn't it will on the next possession...... his system could care less about floor balance or anything like that when it comes to being in position to defend the transition opportunities........... that is a HUGE fatal flaw IMO, especially within the design of this current roster, the guy is literally playing this roster to their weaknesses...... something Nash doesn't fix for ya minus the hope he gets guys such easy looks and they hit way more than they miss.

Nash is the only counter move this clown has..................... it's Nash as Mr. Fix it or bust

I think Brown might be a better coach than MDA........... at least he was smart enough not to run a system that amplifies their weaknesses even IF the Buss family wants Showtime 2.0............ there is fantasy and than there is a reality......... this FO is all of a sudden in fantasy land........ i need some of whatever they are smoking these days
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby charvin on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:32 am

Good read. Magic talks about the pace being too fast, not playing transition defense well, and that MDA should adapt his system to the players.

http://www.foxsportswest.com/12/10/12/Magic-Johnson-This-is-not-Laker-basketba/msn_landing.html?blockID=833661&feedID=8686
charvin

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard