Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:07 pm

D'Antoni needs to inspire his team. he can't be laughing and smiling to media after this loss. players not coming out with the right effort for the Xth straight game is unacceptable.

Defense was/is a problem. But even with that if they played with the right effort you can still win. Closing out strong. Running back hard. Boxing out. Just playing with purpose could have won this game as it almost did in the 2nd half but you gotta do it for 48 mins.

D'Antoni has got to do something to get this team going. saying "I don't know why" and not doing anything isn't gunna cut it. Knicks are gunna kill us if we don't. and probably if we do
Ariza3

Postby Weezy on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:08 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:4-8 under this Mike, so........if Mike Brown got 5 games, will D'Antoni perhaps get 15 games before we decide to hire Phil as new head coach & owner of the franchise?

Lol I know you're joking, but on a serious note, no it will never happen. The Lakers front office will not fire another coach during this season, they won't admit another coaching mistake, they will not crawl back to Phil, 'Antoni is here to stay. Even I, not a fan of the hire at all, know that it would be unfair to fire 'Antoni. At least Brown got a full season, you have to give 'Antoni that too.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:09 pm

We dont have Pau and Nash. WTF come on we looked terrible in 2004 whenever 2 of the Big 4 went out injured. Hes not out there attempting free throws SMDH

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Weekend at Bernie's, it was the most fun I have had all this season as a Laker fan watching the team.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:10 pm

The Rock wrote:We dont have Pau and Nash. WTF come on we looked terrible in 2004 whenever 2 of the Big 4 went out injured. Hes not out there attempting free throws SMDH

But we at least had Slava dropping 20+ :jam2:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby quartzcharm on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:13 pm

Pringles is a dolt.
quartzcharm

Postby Weezy on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:14 pm

The Rock wrote:We dont have Pau and Nash. WTF come on we looked terrible in 2004 whenever 2 of the Big 4 went out injured. Hes not out there attempting free throws SMDH

We looked just as bad WITH Pau. So that leaves you pretty much saying our problems will be solved by Nash, which I don't see. I think he'll fix some things, he's great, but not all, not defense.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:15 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:Weekend at Bernie's, it was the most fun I have had all this season as a Laker fan watching the team.

is it ridiculous that the team has played their best ball under bernie bickerstaff this season?

too bad he didn't want to be the head coach or else im pretty sure this team wouldn't be 9-13. they were so carefree under bernie and seemed to be having fun
432J

Postby The Rock on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Weezy wrote:

We looked just as bad WITH Pau. So that leaves you pretty much saying our problems will be solved by Nash, which I don't see. I think he'll fix some things, he's great, but not all, not defense.

Turnovers and FT% Nash can solve that. Whats screwing up our season so far? Turnovers and FT#

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:17 pm

kobe alluding to phil in his post-game.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby 432J on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:17 pm

fkmikebrown wrote:kobe alluding to phil in his post-game.

what did he say?
432J

Postby Weezy on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:18 pm

The Rock wrote:
Weezy wrote:

Turnovers and FT% Nash can solve that. Whats screwing up our season so far? Turnovers and FT#

It's not like Nash doesn't turn the ball over, we're still going to have a lot of them. Free throws, yeah he hits them, but how is Nash coming back going to make the rest of the team shoot better? Lastly, you didn't even mention defense, which is right now our major problem, Nash doesn't solve that, he probably makes it worse.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:19 pm

432J wrote:
fkmikebrown wrote:kobe alluding to phil in his post-game.

what did he say?

just how he is extremely pissed but learned to keep calm from a certain someone, so he's trying to do that now.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby quartzcharm on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Can we fire him and bring in someone else please?
quartzcharm

Postby The Rock on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Weezy wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Weezy wrote:

It's not like Nash doesn't turn the ball over, we're still going to have a lot of them. Free throws, yeah he hits them, but how is Nash coming back going to make the rest of the team shoot better? Lastly, you didn't even mention defense, which is right now our major problem, Nash doesn't solve that, he probably makes it worse.

Our defense right now is bad but its because they're pressing, too many empty trips on the other end or bad floor defense causes mismatches and guys not getting back on D. Nash solves turnover problems, 3-4 a game will go a long way. Right now everybody is just sitting in the paint, how many Duhon/Dwight P & R's has resulted in Dwight getting the ball wide open under the neath the basket? Every team right now is packing the paint and daring MWP, Jamison and the others to shoot the basket. Tonight we didnt on top of FT/TO woes and it cost us the game

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Lakeshow24 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:30 pm

DarthRekal wrote:FREE BERNIE BICKERSTAFF

:jam2: :jam2: :bow: :bow:
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby BDG on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:34 am

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Magic Johnson questioned new coach Mike D'Antoni's system with the slumping Los Angeles Lakers, saying ''it doesn't fit the talent the Lakers have.''

The Lakers (9-12) fell to 4-8 in the 12 games since D'Antoni took over from the fired Mike Brown with a 100-94 loss to the Cavaliers on Tuesday night in Cleveland.

''I'm not down on him yet as a coach,'' Johnson said earlier in the day at a Dodger Stadium appearance, although he criticized D'Antoni's plan to make the Lakers into a running team.

''You can't run with these guys,'' he said. ''There's one guy who can get up and down the court and that's Kobe (Bryant). You've got to take that ball inside. That's how you win games.''

Johnson said the Lakers have two of the best 7-footers in the NBA in Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard, and the offense should revolve around Gasol, who missed his fifth straight game Tuesday night with tendinitis in his knees. Point guard Steve Nash has missed 20 games with a broken left leg he sustained on Oct. 31.

Johnson called Gasol ''the best passing big man in the NBA.''

''His game is catch it on the low block and face his man,'' the former Lakers star said. ''The first question should've been, 'Where do you like it because that's where I'm going to give it to you.'''

When it comes to the Lakers' dismal defense, Johnson agrees with D'Antoni and Bryant.

''We can score points but the defense is breaking down,'' he said. ''We have to correct our defense. Every night guys have to come with passion and urgency.''

Johnson said he thinks that once Gasol starts playing well, the Lakers will follow suit with Nash's help.

''This is one of the most challenging stretches of my 17 years, and the most baffling, too,'' a puzzled Bryant said after losing to the Cavs. ''We have the talent and personnel to do it, but we're not, and it's baffling. It's extremely frustrating.

''It doesn't make any sense. We're still finding ways to lose games.''
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby revgen on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:38 am

I agree with Magic completely. You can't run 'n gun with this squad.

We either have to make trades or change the system to suit the personnel.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby RushDelivery on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:42 am

revgen wrote:I agree with Magic completely. You can't run 'n gun with this squad.

Trading players to fit the system will require replacing many players currently on the roster, and it's not feasible to do so. Changing the system would be far easier, but D'Antoni is not the kind of coach who likes to adapt his system to the players so it's unlikely it'll happen (see his tenure with the Knicks).

We're most likely stuck with this system and with most of these players who don't fit the system at least until next season.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:01 am

RushDelivery wrote:
revgen wrote:I agree with Magic completely. You can't run 'n gun with this squad.

Trading players to fit the system will require replacing many players currently on the roster, and it's not feasible to do so. Changing the system would be far easier, but D'Antoni is not the kind of coach who likes to adapt his system to the players so it's unlikely it'll happen (see his tenure with the Knicks).

We're most likely stuck with this system and with most of these players who don't fit the system at least until next season.

Basically we flipped one stubborn, inflexible coach for another. We also just traded one glaring weakness for another: one coach who couldn't coach offense for one that can't coach defense.

Literally, I think Antoni couldn't coach D if his life depended on it.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:19 am

D'Antoni actually used more postups and less P & R and running last night vs CLE so this idea that he's try to have an up tempo team and wont adjust to the personnel is clearly wrong

https://twitter.com/forumbluegold/statu ... 3978754048
Interesting stat from LA/Cle: Lakers shots out of the P&R were only 3.6% of their O. 2.7% from the ball handler, .9% from the roll man.

https://twitter.com/forumbluegold/status/278747722150985728
That's not to say that LA didn't run the P&R more than that. But they certainly didn't get shots by the ball handler or the roll man.

https://twitter.com/forumbluegold/status/278748180865224704

Highest % of their plays were direct post ups, 23.2%. Next was spot ups, 19.6%. As an aside, the Lakers shot 3-19 in spots ups, 2-15 from 3.

https://twitter.com/forumbluegold/status/278748469378809856

Spot ups are a natural product of D'Antoni's O. But a lot of those came off kick out passes from post ups by Dwight & Kobe.

https://twitter.com/forumbluegold/status/278749232721195008
I can only think that D'Antoni is skewing his offense towards what guys are comfortable doing & also not wanting to tax Kobe in the P&R.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby themasterphil on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:33 am

the big issue here is the fact that MDA and players just waiting for nash to return and not trying to win the games...and thats just sick to me, no effort, no desire, no fight...they are 9-13 in this moment, they will lose at knicks and philly and maybe win in WAS...so thats 10-15 and its just too many losses there bc they cant make a single run of lets say 3 wins in a row.....it would be hard to make 50% in the first 40 games :bang:
themasterphil

Postby DarthRekal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:50 am

lakerswiz wrote:"Why are people talking about offense"

Hmmm. I wonder why. 16/28 - 42 points and I think 15/47 - 31% shooting.

OFFENSE IS AN ISSUE.

DEFENSE IS AN ISSUE.

WE LOSE.

And Mike Dan Tony needs to be fired. Ain't no convincing me. Even the way he talks. He's a pansy. He's condescending / pretentious / is quite the dick himself and I hate him. I do not like him at all. He's hardly professional and honestly, there's nothing that tells me he has any idea what he's doing.

He leaves New York - god damn championship contenders.

Nash / Amare won those games in Phoenix. All Dan Tony had to do was say Run.

"WE PRACTICED DEFENSE FOR 30 MINUTES YOU'RE REPORTING BAD INFO"

Shut the hell up and make them actually practice defense.

30 minutes.

Pathetic. Get this guy out of my organization.

TOTALLY AGREE :mad1:

he says hes NOT embarrassed how could you NOT BE.. then you have NO PRIDE :disagree:

GTFO
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby charvin on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:30 am

Try saying that halfway through the season and you're not above 0.500 with this squad and Nash. It is an embarrassment to not make the playoffs with the Lakers, let alone with this squad. Even then, making the playoffs is nothing special, it's supposed to be automatic.

DarthRekal wrote:
lakerswiz wrote:"Why are people talking about offense"

Hmmm. I wonder why. 16/28 - 42 points and I think 15/47 - 31% shooting.

OFFENSE IS AN ISSUE.

DEFENSE IS AN ISSUE.

WE LOSE.

And Mike Dan Tony needs to be fired. Ain't no convincing me. Even the way he talks. He's a pansy. He's condescending / pretentious / is quite the dick himself and I hate him. I do not like him at all. He's hardly professional and honestly, there's nothing that tells me he has any idea what he's doing.

He leaves New York - god damn championship contenders.

Nash / Amare won those games in Phoenix. All Dan Tony had to do was say Run.

"WE PRACTICED DEFENSE FOR 30 MINUTES YOU'RE REPORTING BAD INFO"

Shut the hell up and make them actually practice defense.

30 minutes.

Pathetic. Get this guy out of my organization.

TOTALLY AGREE :mad1:

he says hes NOT embarrassed how could you NOT BE.. then you have NO PRIDE :disagree:

GTFO
charvin

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:17 am

Beyond X's and O's, I think the psychology of the coach-team dynamic is extremely influential on the product displayed on the court.

Mike Brown: The players straight-up didn't respect the guy. He didn't inspire them and he didn't influence them to want to absorb his message. They tuned him out and he lost the team. Maybe it had to do with Jim Buss not consulting Kobe right from the beginning.

Bernie Bickerstaff: Granted, we played some pansy teams under Bernie, but it was the best stretch of ball (consistently over 4-5 games) we played all year. I think the reason we excelled was because Bernie had enough confidence and respect for the talent and experience of these players to just let them go out there and be free and have fun. When the coach believes in the players, the players believe in themselves and play hard and focused because they are having fun and feel free. This would have faded eventually if Bernie stayed much longer.

Mike D'Antoni: I think the saying "a team takes the personality of its head coach" is the case here. I think the guy is seriously just farting around until Nash gets back. I mean, of course he wants to win and I'm sure he's frustrated and trying to find ways to win, but I think he's dealing with some subconscious hopelessness since he doesn't have Nash. "We need Nash to make this work, so why bother" is what I think he is subconsciously emitting and the team is subconsciously absorbing.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard