Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:21 am

Punk-101 wrote:Mike D'Antoni: I think the saying "a team takes the personality of its head coach" is the case here. I think the guy is seriously just farting around until Nash gets back. I mean, of course he wants to win and I'm sure he's frustrated and trying to find ways to win, but I think he's dealing with some subconscious hopelessness since he doesn't have Nash. "We need Nash to make this work, so why bother" is what I think he is subconsciously emitting and the team is subconsciously absorbing.

1000% agreed.

These guys really do seem like they're lost and that's because I sense Mike is just desperately awaiting Nash.

There inlies a double-edged sword. Nash is going to come back and the energy is going to infuse this team and Mike is going to be more excited and more passionate and the guys are going to feel that and react to it...

But at the same time we're digging ourselves into a hole too deep to recover from. We're 4 under .500 right now and even Nash won't be able to change that a whole lot. And what happens if Nash comes back and gets hurt again? This team even more seriously?

We're flirting with doom on this team and D'Antoni's got to lead better. He's a better coach than Brown, but right now he's not acting like it and he's not doing nearly enough.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:26 am

trodgers wrote:D'Antoni told Simers, "You're starting to piss me off." :man10:

I didn't know it was Simers.

Okay, I might like D'Antoni after all.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:39 am

Weezy wrote:
GoldenKnight wrote:4-8 under this Mike, so........if Mike Brown got 5 games, will D'Antoni perhaps get 15 games before we decide to hire Phil as new head coach & owner of the franchise?

Lol I know you're joking, but on a serious note, no it will never happen. The Lakers front office will not fire another coach during this season, they won't admit another coaching mistake, they will not crawl back to Phil, 'Antoni is here to stay. Even I, not a fan of the hire at all, know that it would be unfair to fire 'Antoni. At least Brown got a full season, you have to give 'Antoni that too.

it's all i want, weez...it's all i want...make this nightmare stop now :man6:
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby khmrP on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:52 am

lakerswiz wrote:"Why are people talking about offense"

Hmmm. I wonder why. 16/28 - 42 points and I think 15/47 - 31% shooting.

OFFENSE IS AN ISSUE.

DEFENSE IS AN ISSUE.

WE LOSE.

And Mike Dan Tony needs to be fired. Ain't no convincing me. Even the way he talks. He's a pansy. He's condescending / pretentious / is quite the dick himself and I hate him. I do not like him at all. He's hardly professional and honestly, there's nothing that tells me he has any idea what he's doing.

He leaves New York - god damn championship contenders.

Nash / Amare won those games in Phoenix. All Dan Tony had to do was say Run.

"WE PRACTICED DEFENSE FOR 30 MINUTES YOU'RE REPORTING BAD INFO"

Shut the hell up and make them actually practice defense.

30 minutes.

Pathetic. Get this guy out of my organization.

so you didn't think Mgmt. would fire Brown and let him stay the whole season but yet now you want mgmt. to fire another coach after 12 gms? :man10: , classic.
khmrP

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:53 am

therealdeal wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:Mike D'Antoni: I think the saying "a team takes the personality of its head coach" is the case here. I think the guy is seriously just farting around until Nash gets back. I mean, of course he wants to win and I'm sure he's frustrated and trying to find ways to win, but I think he's dealing with some subconscious hopelessness since he doesn't have Nash. "We need Nash to make this work, so why bother" is what I think he is subconsciously emitting and the team is subconsciously absorbing.

1000% agreed.

These guys really do seem like they're lost and that's because I sense Mike is just desperately awaiting Nash.

There inlies a double-edged sword. Nash is going to come back and the energy is going to infuse this team and Mike is going to be more excited and more passionate and the guys are going to feel that and react to it...

But at the same time we're digging ourselves into a hole too deep to recover from. We're 4 under .500 right now and even Nash won't be able to change that a whole lot. And what happens if Nash comes back and gets hurt again? This team even more seriously?

We're flirting with doom on this team and D'Antoni's got to lead better. He's a better coach than Brown, but right now he's not acting like it and he's not doing nearly enough.

We're liiiike...on the same wavelength, maaaaan.

I have a feeling that hypothetically, if MDA got the news that Nash would 100% be out for the season, he'd start coaching much better because that subconscious waiting-game-apathy would be forced out.

Obviously this limbo we're in right now is digging too deep a hole to climb out from even if Nash resurrects this team. So if I'm Jim Buss, I secrectly tell Viti to tell MDA on the downlow that Nash will be out for the season, but not to leak it to the media. Jedi mind tricks right there from Zenmaster-Punk!
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:14 pm

I actually was thinking the same thing... are you, like... in my brain?...

Definitely I agree that if Mike knew for certain Nash was out forever he'd say "okay, s***. Time to move on" and he'd start making better adjustments and making more things happen.

But right now... man we could use someone who can make this team fun. We could use someone who can just tell them "stop worrying so much about what you're doing and just relax and have a good time". They're all down, they're all stressed, and they're all pretty much lost right now. Nash is going to help but at this point we're building up bad habits that need to be curtailed.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:55 pm

John3:16 wrote:
trodgers wrote:D'Antoni told Simers, "You're starting to piss me off." :man10:

I didn't know it was Simers.

Okay, I might like D'Antoni after all.

OK...now that is funny. It doesn't surprise me. Simers is always trolling and this time got what he wanted. A reaction.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:58 pm

lakerswiz wrote:
khmrP wrote:
lakerswiz wrote:"Why are people talking about offense"

Hmmm. I wonder why. 16/28 - 42 points and I think 15/47 - 31% shooting.

OFFENSE IS AN ISSUE.

DEFENSE IS AN ISSUE.

WE LOSE.

And Mike Dan Tony needs to be fired. Ain't no convincing me. Even the way he talks. He's a pansy. He's condescending / pretentious / is quite the dick himself and I hate him. I do not like him at all. He's hardly professional and honestly, there's nothing that tells me he has any idea what he's doing.

He leaves New York - god damn championship contenders.

Nash / Amare won those games in Phoenix. All Dan Tony had to do was say Run.

"WE PRACTICED DEFENSE FOR 30 MINUTES YOU'RE REPORTING BAD INFO"

Shut the hell up and make them actually practice defense.

30 minutes.

Pathetic. Get this guy out of my organization.

so you didn't think Mgmt. would fire Brown and let him stay the whole season but yet now you want mgmt. to fire another coach after 12 gms? :man10: , classic.

I don't understand you.

Yes. You are right.

I didn't think they would fire Brown. They did. They showed me they were willing to fire their coach.

Now with logic.... (this logic thing is difficult and it's okay, I'll be patient with you as you continue to follow my posts and question me about basketball stuff that you've already admitted you have no idea about)

....with the logic that they WOULD fire a coach during a season I applied that to today's world.

Today's world is that Mike Dan Tony is our coach. We're in a season. We have a head coach. It's the Lakers.

So, yes, yes I do want management to fire Mike Dan Tony. And yes, I do have reason to believe why they would. I don't understand why it's so hard to understand that.

your logic is pretty much shifts to your liking so I take it with a grain of salt....Potato head had a season and several games, we're 12 games in with injuries. You came up with a bunch of excuses as to why Potato head wouldn't get fired and have none with Pringles 12 games in even though Nash/Pau are out and you want use logic :man10: ....like I said CLASSIC!...all you did was rag on people and belittle them when we wanted Brown out so I'm hardly following your garbage, I just wanted to call you out your same crap you called the rest of us out on when we were all hoping for Brown firing.
khmrP

Postby VincentTH on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:35 pm

Dear Santa,

I have been good all years, so please!!!!

All I want for Christmas is that Phil is back at the helm to guide this sinking ship. Please help Dr. Buss make one last decision to yank Jimmy from personel matter to save the team and the fans.
VincentTH

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:09 pm

“@forumbluegold: Interesting stat from LA/Cle: Lakers shots out of the P&R were only 3.6% of their O. 2.7% from the ball handler, .9% from the roll man.”
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:10 pm

why don't we run it with Kobe and Dwight or Duhon with Dwight and get him used to it. As when Nash gets back it'll be even easier for him but at least the team will get used to it and know where to be as Deight will know where they are if he has to kick it out. Just a thought...D'Antoni saving PnR for when Nash gets back and surprise opponents who won't know what to do?
Ariza3

Postby khmrP on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:38 pm

lakerswiz wrote:"Why are people talking about offense"You have not understood or comprehended any post I have ever written have you?

lakerswiz wrote:
karacha wrote:
You are trying to play the "I told you so" game.

Oh, I'm just getting started. Wait until June. :man12:

But the truth is -- we know he's not really going anywhere.

You do because you're smart. Large majority of this forum thinks he'll actually get fired.

This is what makes the forum active and the discussions interesting and stimulating. That's why we do it, not because we think Brown is going to be fired tomorrow.

Mob mentality hated is what make the discussion interesting and stimulating?! There is no interesting and stimulating discussion. You have a message board filled with people that have never even played basketball outside of taking a few half-a**** jumpers in middle school and they're on here trying to tell me that an NBA coach is bad? And that another is good? And when asked they give you no actual reason? Oh he doesn't pick and roll right.

There isn't some beauty to be found in all of this Mike Brown trash. That's all it is, trash.

It's the same exact thing Laker fans do and especially this message board does every single year.

We find the excuse and beat it to death. It will happen next year even if Brown is gone. A new excuse, another large mob of uneducated posters that have no clue what they're talking about just posting nonsense all day. Look through that Mike Brown thread and tell me how often insightful and stimulating conversation is being had. It's nothing but a circle-jerk with one big cookie in the middle.

Looks like you doing same thing to Antoni as what you belitted the others for hating on brown when we wanted him out. So when it was Brown, it wasn't the coaching that was the problem but now that Antoni is the coach, he is the problem? Please share you knowledge with the rest of us, since I lack understanding of general bball and seem to so fully grasp all concepts of it.
khmrP

Postby khmrP on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:13 pm

so we wanted Brown gone after a season a few games and you call us a bunch of unedcated half-arse wannabe bballer who know nothing but now you want Pringles gone after 12 games, yep speaks volume of your "logic" :man11:
khmrP

Postby khmrP on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:28 pm

well thats how the Brown haters were like from day one including me, so why are you so special that you get to now call out for Antoni head but feel like the rest of us were bunch of idiots when we wanted Brown out? We wanted him out for the same reason you want Antoni out, different flavor same stench.
khmrP

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:38 pm

“@forumbluegold: The one play I'd like to see is the high P&R w/ Dwight, the swing pass to the wing, then a quick entry to Dwight after the dive.”
Ariza3

Postby khmrP on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:42 pm

lakerswiz wrote:
khmrP wrote:well thats how the Brown haters were like from day one including me, so why are you so special that you get to now call out for Antoni head but feel like the rest of us were bunch of idiots when we wanted Brown out? We wanted him out for the same reason you want Antoni out, different flavor same stench.

What reason is that?

bad D, bad O, 0-4...your turn :man12:
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Well to get this back on topic, this is interesting to see how the game is broken down.....

23m BBALLBREAKDOWN ‏@bballSource
After all the isos to Kobe in post, D'Antoni runs plays for Kobe out on wing to burp up bad shots. I just gotta SMH
Expand

27m BBALLBREAKDOWN ‏@bballSource
Anyone else agree that aricles by @sheridanhoops should NOT have autoplay videos embedded in them?
Expand

29m BBALLBREAKDOWN ‏@bballSource
Yes, indeed, with 3:10 to go in game, Hill didn't understand he was supposed to foul Thompson. Varejao layup cuz Kobe gave up on play
Expand

30m BBALLBREAKDOWN ‏@bballSource
I think it's possible I saw Lakers try to Hack-A-Tristan last night. I'm still so confused I don't know what I'm seeing
Expand

34m BBALLBREAKDOWN ‏@bballSource
I don't care that people say that scoop shot by Jamison is his pet shot. It is awful and should be put away for good.
Expand

42m BBALLBREAKDOWN ‏@bballSource
D'Antoni needs 2 run ICE on sideline PnR.Lakers continually allow middle penetration,forces help, gives up wide open corner 3s & 15 ft J's
Expand

46m BBALLBREAKDOWN ‏@bballSource
Kobe doesn't fight through hardly any screens. He just switches. This hurts the Lakers team defense.
Expand

55m BBALLBREAKDOWN ‏@bballSource
Lakers haven't figured out which position to start their players out in. Time and again, it's MWP w/ the iso on top, putting ball on floor
Expand

56m BBALLBREAKDOWN ‏@bballSource
To me, it's almost like law of averages - the more times Kobe isos, odds increase he will miss or turn it over
Expand

58m BBALLBREAKDOWN ‏@bballSource
Down 13 in 3rd, when good shots are crucial, they post up MWP, who hits an open Jordan Hill at foul line for jumper. OMG
Expand

1h BBALLBREAKDOWN ‏@bballSource
You almost can't get Dwight the ball in the post, b/c they will play as tough as possible, not caring if they foul him
Expand

D'Antoni's offense is problematic for Lakers because it's generating open shots for Jordan Hill and MWP
Expand

OMG - so you all saw my reaction to Lakers getting scored on 4 on 5 twice, right? WELL, they get 5 on 4 and DON'T ATTACK!!!!
Expand

I don't know - I'm thinking you can run PnR with Duhon - he won't look to score, but at least you move the defense around
Expand

Argh. So much standing around in Laker offense, no wonder they can't keep warmed up
Expand

The two lineups I'm looking at differ only with Hill and Jamison. Ironically, they have practically no affect on this outcome
Expand

Hey! I see some Princeton out there from Byron Scott in CLE. Good for him!!!
Expand

@JonesOnTheNBA It doesn't have to PnR all the time either - dribble pitch, pin downs. ANYTHING but standing around

View conversation
@SmallsBKNY No way. In PHX, he wasn't calling every play. There was a flow and guys could run and create shots
View conversation

The other problem is that clearly, D'Antoni CALLS the post up plays, so he's basically controlling every offensive possession.
Expand

Lakers almost exclusively in 1st went to either Dwight or Kobe in low post, and just stood around. What happened to 7 secs?
Expand

Remember - isolating Dwight in the post is just an excuse for the other team to put him on the FT line. SMG
Expand

Saw a great example of defending CLE's PnR by Lakers in 1st. Everyone rotated perfectly. Then Dwight stood there, watched Varejao nail J
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

The only adjustment D'Antoni has made I can see is throwing ball to Dwight in post and stand around watching.
Expand

Anybody hear how Lakers call their switches? Looks like it's out of laziness, MWP scored on twice in 1st b/c of it
Expand

When you're down 6 on the road deep in the 4th quarter, every possession MUST be a good shot. Didn't happen w/ Kobe
Expand
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Every good team in the west has been set up to beat the lakers. They all have their best player at PG or SF/PF to take advantage of our weak points and then they're best defender is a SG/F who is assigned to Kobe and only job is to put ALL their energy into guarding him and just spot up for open 3's bc of Kobe's sagging D. All that and they all have a SG who can shoot very well to come off the bench and spark their team when Kobe isn't playing and go against a backup SG.

SAS
Best Player - T. Parker (PG)
Best Defender & 3PT Shooter - D. Green (SG)
Spark of Bench & 3 PT Shooter - M. Ginobili (SG)

OKC
Best Player - R. Westbrook (PG) & K. Durant (SF)
Best Defender & 3PT Shooter - T. Stefolosha (SG)
Spark of Bench & 3 PT Shooter - K. Martin (SG)

Clippers
Best Player - CP3 (PG) & B. Griffin (PF)
Best Defender - G. Hill (F) [but Crawford plays the most and defends very well with his length]
Spark of Bench & 3 PT Shooter - J. Crawford (SG)

Knicks
Best Player - Melo (F)
Best Defender & 3PT Shooter - J. Kidd (SG)
Spark of Bench & 3 PT Shooter - JR Smith (SG)

Every good team is set up to beat us with defending Kobe and having their PG & Foward own our lesser talented starters as well as a quick SG who can score very well off the bench to own our backup SG
Ariza3

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:50 pm

To follow up with the post above, here's the video breakdown of the laziest mo fo's in the NBA, trying to play defense......

....Communication, energy, hustle, boxing out, if it was there, we wouldn't be having defensive problems. Instead we get what we see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bvJivGNoUw&feature=youtu.be&a
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Center Court on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Doc Brown wrote:To follow up with the post above, here's the video breakdown of the laziest mo fo's in the NBA, trying to play defense......

....Communication, energy, hustle, boxing out, if it was there, we wouldn't be having defensive problems. Instead we get what we see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bvJivGNoUw&feature=youtu.be&a

clearly it's not a personnel issue on D. We have the pieces who can do a godo enough job. It's a commitment, energy, and focus issue. IMO this falls directly on coaching to find a way to get these guys going. Having a guy who is not just going to say "this is what we're going to do, okay now back to offense" but instead hold guys accountable for what they do/don't do is crucial.

Nate Mac would do wonders for this team.
Center Court

Postby khmrP on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:45 pm

lakerswiz wrote:
khmrP wrote:
lakerswiz wrote:
khmrP wrote:well thats how the Brown haters were like from day one including me, so why are you so special that you get to now call out for Antoni head but feel like the rest of us were bunch of idiots when we wanted Brown out? We wanted him out for the same reason you want Antoni out, different flavor same stench.

What reason is that?

bad D, bad O, 0-4...your turn :man12:

Exactly what I figured. The 0-4 is what kills me.

We wanted him out for the same reason you want Antoni out

Assumptions are fun. :mhihi:

:wave:

see you only comment on what others say, but you never actually give any of your own brake down, just leech off of others comment with your snide comments
khmrP

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Looked up d'antoni's record in depth, and was shocked with what I found...

1998-99 DEN 50 14 36
2003-04 PHO 61 21 40
2004-05 PHO 82 62 20 steve
2005-06 PHO 82 54 28 steve
2006-07 PHO 82 61 21 steve
2007-08 PHO 82 55 27 steve
2008-09 NYK 82 32 50
2009-10 NYK 82 29 53
2010-11 NYK 82 42 40
2011-12 NYK 42 18 24
2012-13 LAL 12 4 8
Career 739 392 347

THIS. GUY. IS. A. DAMN. FRAUD!!!

232- 96 with nash. 160- 251 Without nash. Was able to get over .500 (2 games over) once in his 7 years without nash. WOW!!!!!!!!! He owes everything in his life to steve nash. One of the worst coaches in the league record wise if he never had nash as a player. Its a shame that an organization can be so stupid and not have stumbled upon this. What do they do when they look up a coaches resume? Popularity?!?! WOW!!!
King of Clutch

Postby gill on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:38 pm

Him yapping about getting Steve back (and continuously do so) the minute he got here must've done something to the collective egos of this squad.
gill

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:53 pm

hope he learns from this loss. PLAY SLOWER = BETTER D & LESS TURNOVERS

Melo was gone but we went from down 26 to 7. that didn't happen on accident. now imagine kobe actually getting calls or passing to dwight in all those drives.
Ariza3

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Ariza3 wrote:hope he learns from this loss. PLAY SLOWER = BETTER D & LESS TURNOVERS

Melo was gone but we went from down 26 to 7. that didn't happen on accident. now imagine kobe actually getting calls or passing to dwight in all those drives.

nope. hes never adjusted his coaching style ever and he wont do it now.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard