Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Postby nthydro on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:18 am

:disagree:
nthydro

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:32 am

I must admit I wanted Phil; but MDA is a good signing and we should be excited. We have a talented roster with a coach who Kobe, Nash, and Dwight are in favor of; let's have some fun, win games, and bring another championship trophy to this city...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby gill on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:33 am

Welcome Pringles! :jam2:
gill

Postby The Laker Link on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:34 am

lakerswiz wrote:Great signing. Can't wait.

gill wrote: Welcome Pringles! :jam2:
The Laker Link

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:37 am

You can already draft a ' Mike Dunleavy Senior discussion" thread and bookmark it ... we will need one in about 8-9 months
wcsoldier81

Postby JLaker17 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:38 am

Supposedly we are screwed.
JLaker17

Postby Weezy on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:41 am

I'm not gonna sit back and pretend like I like this hire because I have to since I must support the franchise at all times. I don't like 'Antoni, hated him on the Suns, mocked him on the Knicks, he has no composure, he doesn't give a crap about defense, he's not a man that will lead us to a championship. I was looking forward to a leader of men with 11 rings coming in, we end up with this.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:43 am

JLaker17 wrote:Supposedly we are screwed.

we are

our front office just passed over a coach with 11 championships for a coach with none
432J

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:44 am

You guys all seem pretty calm. Am I the only one who is pissed about the discrepancy between what the Lakers are saying ("We need to win NOW!") and their actions (hiring a coach who's career W-L% is .034 over .500, is coming off losing seasons 3 of the last 4 years, and has never won a chip?)

Trying not to overreact, but did the Lakers executive management just $h!t in our hand and tell us its ice cream?
phoenixrisingla

Postby Balance&Options24 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:50 am

I'm not gonna bash this guy cause we didn't get Phil, I just don't like the way Phil was treated. These nagotiations were weird from the very beginning, things were leaked about Phil's demands. I hope mike adjust his style to our personnel, good luck to him!!! Lets go lakers.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:51 am

Give Mike D'Antoni a chance..Phil is 67 years old.. and was asking for way to much.. Coach Mike deserves a chance
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Mike D'Antoni Trying To Add Nate McMillan To His Staff

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:51 am

Mike D'Antoni Trying To Add Nate McMillan To His Staff

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

Mike D'Antoni expected to reach out to fellow USA assistant Nate McMillan as potential defensive assistant, league source tells @CBSSports.

https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/268045447992590337
Kobe8Fan

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:53 am

KobeSystemtwofour wrote:Give Mike D'Antoni a chance..Phil is 67 years old.. and was asking for way to much.. Coach Mike deserves a chance

I thought we were going for a championship, not making an after-school special about trying to revitalize a down & out coache's career. Silly me.
phoenixrisingla

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:56 am

phoenixrisingla wrote:
KobeSystemtwofour wrote:Give Mike D'Antoni a chance..Phil is 67 years old.. and was asking for way to much.. Coach Mike deserves a chance

I thought we were going for a championship, not making an after-school special about trying to revitalize a down & out coache's career. Silly me.

If your a Laker fan you give Mike a chance..what can we do about it? nothing he's our coach deal with it
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby retro_nights on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:00 am

Nate McMilan isn't even a good defensive coach.

I want to be proven wrong by these coaching hires, but it seems like thats why they hired Mike, to prove Phil wrong.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:02 am

KobeSystemtwofour wrote:
phoenixrisingla wrote:

If your a Laker fan you give Mike a chance..what can we do about it? nothing he's our coach deal with it

Wrong. I'm a laker fan regardless of who is coach and if I support them or not. Nice try.

Just because we fan's doesnt mean that we have to blindly support incorrect decisions. We're the ones to watch the advertising time they sell on TV. We're the ones paying for tickets/concessions/gear at the games.

If they're going to lie to us saying they're going to win "at any cost" then not stick to that we have a right to be pissed about it. Sorry.
phoenixrisingla

Postby thisbjgz on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:03 am

Tons of pessimists in this thread..which I understand but lets see how he coaches the team first..While I was disappointed like many of you, I'm really buying into this hire..

read this article by Andy Kamenetzky

Given how “We want Phil” chants have echoed through Staples Center the past two days, I know this decision will leave many fans disappointed. Each of Jackson’s stints in L.A. have featured multiple championships, and this is a team built to immediately carry that tradition. In theory, what’s not to like?

However, something about hiring Jackson always struck me as overly familiar. Predictable. A bit too convenient. You could hear the wheels turning inside the heads of fans, media and players alike. "Phil is available. ... He lives in the South Bay. ... Eleven titles. ... Zen Master. ... Of course he's the guy."

Except, of course, most complex situations typically don't resolve in ready-made, neat solutions. And I wasn’t entirely convinced another go-round with Phil was quite the slam dunk most people thought.

To begin with, the seamless-return narrative was exaggerated. Only five current Lakers players have played under Jackson, and three had relatively short stints. A few notable highs notwithstanding, Metta World Peace’s time in PJ's system was, to say the least, turbulent. Steve Blake played one year under Jackson and was visibly uncomfortable in the triangle. During Devin Ebanks' lone campaign with Phil, the then-rookie rarely removed his warm-ups. Only Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol have truly flourished in the triangle. As Bryant noted after Friday's win, the 1999-2000 squad won a title in its first triangular season, but it was also loaded with veterans who spent years playing against Jackson's Chicago Bulls, which created some degree of familiarity. This 2012-13 roster wouldn't figure to benefit from that luxury.

There was also the issue of Steve Nash, who remains the same odd fit in the triangle as he was in the Princeton. Either the Hall of Fame point guard would have endured another learning curve in a system that doesn't cater to his style, or Jackson would have been forced to tweak his offense to accommodate a type of player he's never coached. Both approaches could have meant more heads bumping, and at least one reason Brown was fired was to avoid such a scenario.

It's also worth remembering that Jackson's last season with the Lakers didn't end particularly well, beyond just the second-round sweep at the hands of Dallas. As I wrote at the time, 2010-11 wasn't a strong season for Jackson. He had to be cajoled into returning, then throughout the season often seemed disconnected with players, unable to reach and motivate them. The team appeared less prepared than it should have been at key moments, and that lack of poise reared its ugly head during a playoff run that went from wobbly to disastrous. Too often Jackson relied too heavily on his established approach rather than venturing out of his comfort zone to address what clearly wasn’t working with the team. Truth be told, he appeared tired of the NBA grind, like a man who realized he might have made a mistake in returning.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers
thisbjgz

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:05 am

dont we already have a moan and whine thread?
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:05 am

Weezy wrote:I'm not gonna sit back and pretend like I like this hire because I have to since I must support the franchise at all times. I don't like 'Antoni, hated him on the Suns, mocked him on the Knicks, he has no composure, he doesn't give a crap about defense, he's not a man that will lead us to a championship. I was looking forward to a leader of men with 11 rings coming in, we end up with this.

Stephen A. Smith makes a ton of sense of why this was a bad hire ... plus he uses stats to show how Ricearoni's defenses have stunk up the joint ...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8623068
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:08 am

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:09 am

thisbjgz wrote:Tons of pessimists in this thread..which I understand but lets see how he coaches the team first..While I was disappointed like many of you, I'm really buying into this hire..

read this article by Andy Kamenetzky

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers

That entire article can be summed up as "Please ignore all of the facts, numbers, records, and accomplishments of these two coaches and lets focus on the "if's" and "maybes"".
phoenixrisingla

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:10 am

Damn dude is cooked before he even coaches a game.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby scissors on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:12 am

He is our coach now and we have to support him. I am sure he is smart enough to know that this Lakers team can't run the 7 second offense he is used to.
scissors

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:14 am

Doc Brown wrote:Damn dude is cooked before he even coaches a game.

Yeah, he's going to receive the brunt of misplaced anger that should be directed at laker executive management. All MDA really did was apply for a job and get it.
phoenixrisingla

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:14 am

Marc Berman@NYPost_Berman1 minute ago

Anthony said maybe Kobe and D'Antoni had deal under table during Olympics. Melo said he and MDA really got along "behind closed doors.''

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2C28NPDaC
wcsoldier81

Next

Return to The Graveyard