Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby The Rock on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Rock, so using the same "what have you done for me recently" logic, how can you trust D'Antoni? Or is what happened in NY not recent enough?

D'Antoni stepped away midseason and Woodson took over and just like that....

...that team's losing aura was gone.

Pau isn't the same guy, but there has been changes and plenty that has gone around him to influence his play. Meanwhile, D'Antoni hasn't changed...its the same ol thing with him. Between the two, there's only one champ. I prefer to listen to the champ and have the guy without the rings change up his line of thinking.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/antoni_resigns_amid_disarray_woodson_BOtdcGSrr9oo5vJP2dwcHN

A month after Jeremy Lin became a global phenomenon under D’Antoni’s watch, the Knicks went from Linsanity to insanity, as D’Antoni resigned because of his conflict with Anthony, whose return from injury sent the Knicks into a 2-8 spiral and 18-24 record.

They were doing well with Lin but once Melo came back he wouldn't adjust and they ended up losing 8 of 10 games. Thats a lot of games if Melo wouldn't adjust after then wasn't he the bigger problem in that situation? The Knicks were a mess iMO, Lin was part of hte problem, Melo was part of the problem and D'Antoni as well, that team didn't have a lot of championship experience outside of Chandler and i believe he was the new guy

D'Antoni is coming into a situation where Kobe is clearly the leader and he respects D'Antoni. With familiar faces in the core of the team...Nash and Howard whom MDA has coached as well. Hes coming to a veteran squad that has talent but had so much trouble scoring the ball. Some of the issues he has solved since he has come here...bench scoring, 3 point shooting. These two are really essential if a team were to win a title. Right now wer'e basically scoring 102 a game without Nash but we're giving up a lot of points on defense because guys are either too slow (Kobe/MWP/Duhon perimeter lineup) or not making the rotation they know they should've made. Its inconsistency on that end not incompetence.

The choices at the time of Mike Brown's firing were...Phil, MDA and I believe Sloan. I preferred MDA but I wouldn't have been mad if either Phil or Sloan were hired. AT the end of the day I always thought MDA brought the most pros and the least cons in his case compared to the other two.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:31 pm

^^^Before Lin, there was Melo with Billups at the point. Still no dice for D'Antone.

I can't even truly have a conversation with you about this topic Rock. If you preferred D'Antoni over Phil in any type of coaching capacity, let alone a win now mentality...then I just can't have a proper discussion with you.

But then again, maybe something is wrong with me. My basketball Ch'i must be running on E. If I can't reason with "basketball reasons" then maybe, I'm the one not getting it. :man3:

Naaahhhh...you wrong dude...you preferred D'Antoni over Phil...getthafouttahere with that that noise. :man9:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Greatest of All Time on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:34 pm

They were doing well with Lin but once Melo came back he wouldn't adjust and they ended up losing 8 of 10 games. Thats a lot of games if Melo wouldn't adjust after then wasn't he the bigger problem in that situation? The Knicks were a mess iMO, Lin was part of hte problem, Melo was part of the problem and D'Antoni as well, that team didn't have a lot of championship experience outside of Chandler and i believe he was the new guy

They were 18-24 when Pringles quit. They went 18-6 (with the same roster) after he quit and Woodson took over.
Greatest of All Time

Postby The Rock on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:41 pm

Greatest of All Time wrote:

They were 18-24 when Pringles quit. They went 18-6 (with the same roster) after he quit and Woodson took over.

Lin missed the last month of the season. He didnt play a game after MAR 24. Basically Melo and Lin couldn't play together, its funny because same thing is happening in Houston, Harden and Lin cant play together and they're hovering around the .500 mark when Harden went down Lin went off for 38. Like I said Lin and Melo were bigger part of the problems that New York had

Our biggest issue last year compared to this year was offense, we basically stunk and Mike has restarted that, give him time to get the rest of the roster together and we'll get on a roll on both ends.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:^^^Before Lin, there was Melo with Billups at the point. Still no dice for D'Antone.

I can't even truly have a conversation with you about this topic Rock. If you preferred D'Antoni over Phil in any type of coaching capacity, let alone a win now mentality...then I just can't have a proper discussion with you.

But then again, maybe something is wrong with me. My basketball Ch'i must be running on E. If I can't reason with "basketball reasons" then maybe, I'm the one not getting it. :man3:

Naaahhhh...you wrong dude...you preferred D'Antoni over Phil...getthafouttahere with that that noise. :man9:

I prefered the 2012 version of MDA over 2012 version of Phil. Phil from from pre 2010 is without a doubt the GOAT. Hes old now, I really think the travelling takes a beating on him, its not his fault, its just human nature hes at the top of the coaches list, I never really saw him try hard in 2010/2011. Phil without a doubt is the GOAT in my opinion but hes not the same coach right now, hes worn down

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Greatest of All Time on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:04 pm

The Rock wrote:
Greatest of All Time wrote:

Lin missed the last month of the season. He didnt play a game after MAR 24. Basically Melo and Lin couldn't play together, its funny because same thing is happening in Houston, Harden and Lin cant play together and they're hovering around the .500 mark when Harden went down Lin went off for 38. Like I said Lin and Melo were bigger part of the problems that New York had

Our biggest issue last year compared to this year was offense, we basically stunk and Mike has restarted that, give him time to get the rest of the roster together and we'll get on a roll on both ends.

They were 24-25 the last game before he got knee surgery so they were 6-1 with Lin and Carmela playing together under Mike Woodson. One could argue it's a small sample size but Felton and Carmela are also doing well under Woodson this year because Woodson found a way to incorporate Carmela through postups and Felton through the pick and roll with Chandler. Here we have Pringles forcing Pau to shoot corner 3s.

I know Pau hasn't been the same as he has been the past couple of years for whatever reason but I would at least try to see what he can do in the post if they adjusted it similarly to what New York is doing. It would at least give him a role that he's comfortable with. I don't know, I'm kind of indifferent with Pau at this point. I think he's just mentally checked out but I still hope he can redeem himself.

And Lin and Harden don't work together because Kevin McHale has Lin stand in the corner and shoot 3s.
Greatest of All Time

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:44 pm

If because of the hiring of MDA instead of bringing PJ back to work with the talented roster Mitch unbelievably has put together with his incredible wand, and that is needing to get healthy and mesh, MDA requires that it all gets changed and blown up because he knows NO other way to adjust his coaching..... then in addition to Dwight saying audios M effers at the end of the season, I could see Mitch saying eff it too and getting the hell out. Has to be other more attractive teams and situations out there for him. Here the lunatics are running the Lakers' asylum now.
LTLakerFan

Postby jimbo327 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:01 am

I have decided to retire the Pringles moniker for the coach. He will now be referred to as Antoni.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby Center Court on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:37 am

Dr Buss was apparently the one really pushing for MDA over Phil.

I guess he knows he's on the clock and more than anything he wants to win it in "showtime" fashion one last time.

Side benefit: you get to stick it to the smug a-hole who's been banging you daughter for years.

IMO there is no chance Mitch didn't prefer PJ. He's played the game and knows the personnel wise, this is a better fit for Phil.

I guess sitting here and moaning about it is useless at this point but Mike needs to pull his head outta his Italian Cowboy behind and make this work. Not benching AJ, Hill, etc.
Center Court

Postby MC on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:45 am

Center Court wrote:Dr Buss was apparently the one really pushing for MDA over Phil.

I guess he knows he's on the clock and more than anything he wants to win it in "showtime" fashion one last time.

here's the problem............ they want showtime but have no clue how showtime worked.

MDA is not showtime......... showtime probed the break and if it wasn't there they dumped it into the post and ran the offense thru Kareem quite a bit once he lumbered down the court.

MDA runs a hacked simpleton version of the showtime offense that forgets all about the fundamentals and basics of basketball.

that is why he fails.

Set your defense, Control the boards, get out and transition and if nothing is there work the ball down low. Is that so freak'n hard to figure out with this roster. This roster could run a variation of the Showtime offense once Nash is here but it can't be run like MDA's red headed step child of an offense.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby LooN3y on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:05 am

fans dont want him here, media dont want him here, damn sure pau doesnt want him here, probably jamison and hill either,

how many more people is it going to take for him to quite and get fired?

god its retarded, jim is retarded.
LooN3y

Postby 432J on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:21 am

LooN3y wrote:fans dont want him here, media dont want him here, damn sure pau doesnt want him here, probably jamison and hill either,

if they get eliminated in round 1 of the playoffs this season or even round 2, i would hope to god they fire him. i mean, i wish they'd fire him right now since they made the HUGE mistake of hiring him in the first place. but we all know that won't happen

he's just about the WORST fit for this team. still mindblowing how he was hired and not phil
432J

Postby charvin on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:45 am

They would come up with the same excuse like Mike Brown. No training camp :man10:

432J wrote:
LooN3y wrote:fans dont want him here, media dont want him here, damn sure pau doesnt want him here, probably jamison and hill either,

if they get eliminated in round 1 of the playoffs this season or even round 2, i would hope to god they fire him. i mean, i wish they'd fire him right now since they made the HUGE mistake of hiring him in the first place. but we all know that won't happen

he's just about the WORST fit for this team. still mindblowing how he was hired and not phil
charvin

Postby Greatest of All Time on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:52 am

MC wrote:
Center Court wrote:Dr Buss was apparently the one really pushing for MDA over Phil.

here's the problem............ they want showtime but have no clue how showtime worked.

MDA is not showtime......... showtime probed the break and if it wasn't there they dumped it into the post and ran the offense thru Kareem quite a bit once he lumbered down the court.

MDA runs a hacked simpleton version of the showtime offense that forgets all about the fundamentals and basics of basketball.

that is why he fails.

Set your defense, Control the boards, get out and transition and if nothing is there work the ball down low. Is that so freak'n hard to figure out with this roster. This roster could run a variation of the Showtime offense once Nash is here but it can't be run like MDA's red headed step child of an offense.

I'm sure they knew how Showtime worked but I think they just failed to consider Pringles hates post play lol due diligence

I think Jimbo Buss would rather let the ship continue sinking to save face. In order to make him go away someone or something has to make him quit like he did in Phoenix and New York when power / control was taken from him.
Greatest of All Time

Postby lAKERfaNaticKID on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 am

If lakers don't make the playoffs do you think they'll fire mike?
lAKERfaNaticKID

Postby 432J on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:49 am

lAKERfaNaticKID wrote:If lakers don't make the playoffs do you think they'll fire mike?

they better

or all hell will break loose (again)
432J

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter
D'Antoni hasn't committed to starting either Jodie Meeks or Devin Ebanks alongside Kobe on the wing. Seems like he could go either way.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

What's the point of starting Ebanks when he plays 4 minutes a game and then gets taken out to sit on his a** at the end of the bench?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Jordan-esque on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:43 pm

Video of Mike D'Antoni's and Pau Gasol's meeting...

"Chuck and Duck!"

:man10: :man10: :man10:
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:39 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter
D'Antoni hasn't committed to starting either Jodie Meeks or Devin Ebanks alongside Kobe on the wing. Seems like he could go either way.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

What's the point of starting Ebanks when he plays 4 minutes a game and then gets taken out to sit on his a** at the end of the bench?

bump dat trade value :man10:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:00 pm

id rather ebanks or jamison or another 3 if we bring in one to start instead of moving kobe to the 3 and starting meeks. i think ebanks playing a limited role to start would keep our bench unit more dangerous and effective.

ebanks or jamison or another can start at the 3 and play a willie green type role like the clippers. pretty much just starts so that the bench remains strong and only job in the starting lineup is to play defense and being the effort. i think ebanks can do that or even jamison who may get killed on D but in limited mintes might be able to put more energy into it.

meeks off the bench but playing big minutes is very important and starting kobe at the SG is very important too bc it'll get him going early and at an effective % over smaller SG it also puts more pressure on them.

this also keeps the bench mob stronger with MWP coming in and having a set rotation and units to build chemistry. starting meeks kind of screws that all up.

start ebanks or jamison at the 3....CDR would be perfect!!! and bring meeks off the bench for big minutes. its worked so far and i think it'll continue to work even better with Nash. If meeks starts he'll be playing too many mintutes imo and ebanks energy hustle and D i think in limited minutes with the starters is worth it even if he brings a 0 in <10 mins
Ariza3

Postby Helljumper on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:19 pm

It seems to me like a lot of the hatred for D'antoni is coming from over-analyzing his quotes and what people expect his offense to look like rather than what's actually happening on the court. For example, he said something about Pau needing to expand his game to the perimeter. Some of you are taking this to mean that he wants Pau exclusively camped behind the three point line. If that were the case, I'd understand the frustration. But from what I'm seeing, that's not actually happening. This year, Pau took 0.5 three's per game before D'antoni started coaching. Under D'antoni, he's taking 0.25 threes. Look at the shot distributions and shooting percentages that The Rock posted a few pages ago and compare it with last years.

2012-2013

2011-2012

Last year in Mike Brown's offense (which was pretty much exclusively post-up the bigs and then let Kobe take over if the post isn't an option) 56.7% of Pau's shots came in the paint. This year, it's 51%. The difference? Pau's shooting much less efficiently. I know these are small sample sizes, but clearly Pau's not having his game neutered by being forced out on the perimeter to the extent that some of you are making it out to be.

I understand the need for a scape-goat, but its ridiculous that we're already blaming D'antoni for hypothetical early playoff exits. If we get eliminated early because D'antoni's rotations/heavy usage of our starters causes an injury or obvious wear and tear, then yes, the blame should go to D'antoni. But some of you are claiming that D'antoni's SYSTEM is the problem with our team. I still don't see that. Unlike the Princeton, there's nothing I see from D'antoni's system that is minimizing the talent we have on this team. Ultimately, if we don't win a championship with this talent, I'm blaming the players.
Helljumper

Postby LooN3y on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:57 pm

Jordan-esque wrote:Video of Mike D'Antoni's and Pau Gasol's meeting...

"Chuck and Duck!"

lol this made me chuckle, fo reezy
LooN3y

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:08 pm

LooN3y wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:Video of Mike D'Antoni's and Pau Gasol's meeting...

"Chuck and Duck!"

lol this made me chuckle, fo reezy

^^ :man10: :man10: Totally cracked me up!!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:14 pm

D'Antoni's system: wants uptempo and wants alot...alot of jumpshots. We are 3rd in the league in 3s taken....and that includes Brown/Bernie stats.

Here's my problem with the offense. It kills our defense. Here's why...
The farther you go out, the less the percentages are in your favor. The farther you go out, the harder that ball clangs off the rim and completely sails over your big frontline towards the perimeter. Offensive rebounds aren't maximized...you give up a spontaneous developing break to the opposing team and we know how slow this team is, so that transition bucket is as good as a make. In alot of these games, we give up a ton of points in the paint and the opposition doesn't even have an imposing frontline....its cause of those spontaneous transition buckets the opposition gets off our long balls.

Just look at our frontline players and how many shot attempts they get...not much! Yet you want them to play that anchor position on defense and hold the fort down...problem is that the long ball sails over their heads and now they are trailing the transition break headed the other way. And if you're not feeding the big dogs, they ain't going to book it double time down the court just to guard the yard and have the backcourt go the other way to fling yet another one from 3land. Alot of you are bringing up Pau...but this also affects our key free agent this summer. Of course he ain't going to say much about coaching....and is an explanation really necessary as to why? His redemption tour continues....

This veteran team has no business playing 40+ minutes per game in December and pushing tempo. The more possessions they develop in a game offensively leads to more possessions they will have to guard defensively. D'Antoni's system is not helping this team. 7-9 with this guy at the helm and alot of those losses are coming during a favorable portion of the schedule.

I'm tired of people thinking that D'Antoni detractors are looking solely at the offensive numbers....please look to the other side of the ball and realize that this offense certainly does not help our cause on that side of the ball.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:19 pm

^^ Stop it, please. You're making way too much sense. This is going to freak everyone out.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard