Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Greatest of All Time on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:04 pm

The Rock wrote:https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/286502598092132352

Are the Lakers too old to be playing a fast pace? Lakers are 2-9 under Mike D'Antoni when they have 96+ possessions, 8-2 with 95 or fewer.

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/286517924854890496

The Lakers have scored 100+ points per 100 possessions in every game under Mike D'Antoni in which they've had a pace of 95 or lower.

I've been saying this...but apparently Pringles thinks fatigue and exhaustion is something guys can just push through and be ok.
Greatest of All Time

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:20 pm

The Rock wrote:https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/286502598092132352

Are the Lakers too old to be playing a fast pace? Lakers are 2-9 under Mike D'Antoni when they have 96+ possessions, 8-2 with 95 or fewer.

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/286517924854890496

The Lakers have scored 100+ points per 100 possessions in every game under Mike D'Antoni in which they've had a pace of 95 or lower.

Could be, but likely a result of poor defense & rebounding. I don't think it matters if WE play a fast paced offense. It matters if we can slow down the other team's pace.

If we slow other teams transition down, make them earn shots, get stops, and get REBOUNDS, there will be less possessions.

We tend to get 96+ possessions when our D is putrid and guys are up and down scoring.
Chillbongo

Postby kenzo on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:41 pm

Garbage sig anyone?
kenzo

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Here you go guys:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby JLaker17 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Garbage is 3-19, so Pau and Dwight.
JLaker17

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Never said that. Just pointing out that bringing in Phil wouldn't be as smooth and wonderful as everyone makes it out to be. There still would be a learning curve and a complex system to learn. We wouldn't suddenly start rolling on teams,just because Phil is on the sidelines.

Team lacks chemistry, effort, energy, etc....You can have the perfect system, but unless the players start playing like a team and playing with a sense of urgency, you will get what we are seeing now regardless of coach IMO.

Doc, I normally agree with you, but I completely disagree here.

I just can't see Phil having a sub .500 record some 20 games after being hired. Also, I can see losses here and there, but losses to teams that we should beat are becoming a consistency and there is no way I see that happening with Phil at the helm. We're supposed to be at full strength while Philly doesn't have Drew and its on our home court with 3 days of rest for our veteran team and still we lose. Not only do we lose, but Philly missed wide open shots and came up empty numerous times at the line late in the game. This wasn't a case of us beating ourselves. Philly just as easily could have made this a route instead of allowing us to creep back into the game. I'm sorry, but after 20 some odd games, Phil wouldn't allow that.

Not only that, but this team is built for a triangle type offense. We have post players galore. We have multiple core players that have already played for Phil and the triangle. Dwight would play the center position in the offense which not only highlights him instead of being some dummy roll guy with limited touches in this D'Antoni offense, but the 5 spot is also the easiest position to learn in the triangle. Meanwhile, you have Nash who is a great shooter and is smart enough to pick up the triangle and know where to get his scoring opportunities from. Plus, why a guard heavy offense when your guard is about to turn 39. He should be a complimentary player to this team, rather than the engine that could. Some of you guys think he's still at the southern end of 30. Nash can really make this offense look good, but why burn him so much during the regular season...to only have him burnt out in the postseason? Meanwhile the Bean tacked on another 40+ minute game.

All this nonsense simply would not happen under Phil. His track record says so! Meanwhile, D'Antoni is staying true to his....and surprisingly management went with the latter. :bang:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby JLaker17 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:37 pm

I remember a lot of people questing the teams effort and such with Jackson here, saying he has lost it and such.
JLaker17

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:48 pm

JLaker17 wrote:I remember a lot of people questing the teams effort and such with Jackson here, saying he has lost it and such.

I want to put this to rest cause there were so many intangibles that shouldn't be ignored, yet it continues to happen around these parts.

3 consecutive Finals appearances before we flame out in Phil's last season. Sprinkle in Kobe and Pau taking part in summer Olympics and Fiba tourneys. That definitely led to Kobe's knee injury and in Phil's last season, you can't ignore that Kobe limped into the playoffs and just didn't have it. During that window where it appeared Phil was about to get hired, Kobe said just as much...he felt he did Phil wrong that season cause physically he was not all there.

Also, lets not forget Phil had already one foot out the door after beating "those guys". He was ready to call it. It took Kobe and Fisher to convince and drag Phil back into the fray. I'm not saying its a valid excuse, since Phil was payed handsomely, but that last season wasn't entirely his decision. Plus, lets say he lost that team...well that's "that" team...not "this" team. You got a guy like Dwight on "this" team that wanted Phil when he was on "that" Orlando team. Nash HAS to respect a guy like Phil even though he's comfortable playing for D'Antoni. Plus we locked up Nash for 3 years, while Dwight is our key free agent who we want to resign. So lets instead ignore his Orlando demands where he wanted Phil and instead lets cater to the guy that is locked up for 3 years. Brilliant! :freak2:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby JLaker17 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
JLaker17 wrote:I remember a lot of people questing the teams effort and such with Jackson here, saying he has lost it and such.

I want to put this to rest cause there were so many intangibles that shouldn't be ignored, yet it continues to happen around these parts.

3 consecutive Finals appearances before we flame out in Phil's last season. Sprinkle in Kobe and Pau taking part in summer Olympics and Fiba tourneys. That definitely led to Kobe's knee injury and in Phil's last season, you can't ignore that Kobe limped into the playoffs and just didn't have it. During that window where it appeared Phil was about to get hired, Kobe said just as much...he felt he did Phil wrong that season cause physically he was not all there.

Also, lets not forget Phil had already one foot out the door after beating "those guys". He was ready to call it. It took Kobe and Fisher to convince and drag Phil back into the fray. I'm not saying its a valid excuse, since Phil was payed handsomely, but that last season wasn't entirely his decision. Plus, lets say he lost that team...well that's "that" team...not "this" team. You got a guy like Dwight on "this" team that wanted Phil when he was on "that" Orlando team. Nash HAS to respect a guy like Phil even though he's comfortable playing for D'Antoni. Plus we locked up Nash for 3 years, while Dwight is our key free agent who we want to resign. So lets instead ignore his Orlando demands where he wanted Phil and instead lets cater to the guy that is locked up for 3 years. Brilliant! :freak2:

I do agree with the fact that we have our "future franchise player" in Dwight openly saying he wants Phil its pretty dumb to ignore it and risk giving him another reason to leave.
JLaker17

Postby Helljumper on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:24 pm

D'antoni has many flaws. I hope it's becoming clear that the fact that his offensive system limits Pau and Dwight's opportunities in the post isn't one of them.
Helljumper

Postby Center Court on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:26 pm

Vash is 110% on the spot...

but hey, now we get showtime.

Center Court

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:41 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Not only that, but this team is built for a triangle type offense. We have post players galore. We have multiple core players that have already played for Phil and the triangle. Dwight would play the center position in the offense which not only highlights him instead of being some dummy roll guy with limited touches in this D'Antoni offense, but the 5 spot is also the easiest position to learn in the triangle.

The only post players we have are Kobe/MWP. D12 doesn't have a post game, he's good for dumping it in to get a double, but teams are just stripping him or fouling him right now and unless he gets an and-1, it's a victory for the defense. Him in the triangle getting constant post touches scares me because what my eyes see and what Trodgers numbers are showing IIRC, D12 isn't really THAT effective in the post. I might be wrong on that, I haven't looked at it in awhile.

Pau isn't a post player RIGHT now. He was for sure 2-3 years ago, but now he's shooting absolutely terrible from the post area, just terrible. Look at Trodgers numbers in the big Pau thread. Shooting below league average at the rim and sub 30% from 3-9 feet. Just like the last couple of years, Pau in the post is a major disappointment. The only thing he has is one or two good passes out of the post a game, not worth it IMO.

Meanwhile, you have Nash who is a great shooter and is smart enough to pick up the triangle and know where to get his scoring opportunities from. Plus, why a guard heavy offense when your guard is about to turn 39. He should be a complimentary player to this team, rather than the engine that could. Some of you guys think he's still at the southern end of 30. Nash can really make this offense look good, but why burn him so much during the regular season...to only have him burnt out in the postseason? Meanwhile the Bean tacked on another 40+ minute game.

I don't like Nash in the offense because he assumes the Fisher role. Stand in the corner and hit 3's. That's severely undermining his skills as a PG. Him and Kobe aren't getting burned out because of the offense, it's because we don't have anyone worth a damn besides Meeks to sub in for them. We have ZERO depth at the backup 3 and backup 1. It's not like we are sprinting up and down the court with this offense, we simply don't have the bodies to get effective play when they are on the bench. I fully agree MDA should be resting them more, but when your options are Duhon (recently), Morris, Ebanks, it really puts him in a bad situation. We need another wing player or two to fix this.

All this nonsense simply would not happen under Phil. His track record says so! Meanwhile, D'Antoni is staying true to his....and surprisingly management went with the latter. :bang:

Nash/Kobe/D12/Meeks/Hill are really the ONLY players giving us anything. Pau/Duhon/Morris don't give anything or much consistently, Ebanks/Jamison don't even play. We are an old team, with no depth, in a fast paced league built on athleticism at every position. The game has changed since Phil hung up the zen, I'm not to sure he could DRASTICALLY change the team to a team that is dominant in this same time period MDA has had because we have a mish mash of personnel that doesn't fit and is too slow to hang with teams that have the young guns that make it difficult on our old players.

Vasashi17 wrote:I remember a lot of people questing the teams effort and such with Jackson here, saying he has lost it and such. 3 consecutive Finals appearances before we flame out in Phil's last season. Sprinkle in Kobe and Pau taking part in summer Olympics and Fiba tourneys. That definitely led to Kobe's knee injury and in Phil's last season, you can't ignore that Kobe limped into the playoffs and just didn't have it. During that window where it appeared Phil was about to get hired, Kobe said just as much...he felt he did Phil wrong that season cause physically he was not all there.

You've said this a couple times around here. My defense to that is, while that may be true, these guys might be burned out in Phil's last run, that "core" of players you referred to above is still here and playing big minutes after that 3 year run, after another Olympics and more playoffs. Everyone from that time is a few years older, gotten little rest since then and we haven't replaced the people we've lost with anything worthwhile (except Nash/Hill) since then. Pau was done then, he's burnt toast now, MWP isn't the defensive ace since those days and Kobe's defense has dropped significantly. They were burnt out with Phil, things haven't changed.

Also, lets not forget Phil had already one foot out the door after beating "those guys". He was ready to call it. It took Kobe and Fisher to convince and drag Phil back into the fray. I'm not saying its a valid excuse, since Phil was payed handsomely, but that last season wasn't entirely his decision. Plus, lets say he lost that team...well that's "that" team...not "this" team.

If this is true, can you fault management for not wanting him back? He had to be dragged back to coach, when he was ready to leave the game and now years later, they are supposed to bring the guy back that "had one foot out the door" on them?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:06 pm

Doc: Phil wanted to call it quits back then. NOW, he had his agent flying in to sit down with Mitch and Jimmy to discuss terms. Then the clock struck midnight and the Phil fantasy ended...

If you have the all time winningest coach WANT to coach again and he's at your disposal, you do not dispose him. :disagree:

That core that flamed out after 3 straight Finals appearances, flamed out cause of 3 straight Finals appearances. Yeah, they're older, but we've added to the core and in recent seasons (one being a lockout shortened one), they've had lengthy summer breaks.

Nash in the triangle wouldn't be Fisher. Nash shoots at a higher clip and when defenses try to chase him off the line, he does his best Kobe pump fake impression and then dribble drive...where the dude will be Steve Nash and not Fisher.

The triangle highlights the post, but it really is far more than that. You got a motion offense once the ball gets dumped inside. Dwight may not be as explosive after back surgery and have a far more limited post game than Shaq, but the bottom line is that he would get more touches and be highlighted much more in a triangle offense rather than be some dummy roll guy in the offense we are running. You look at what Dwight is giving us offensively and anybody can tell you that this offense is not fully utilizing him. Not only that, but this offense gets alot of shots without even going inside. So now this team of inefficient career 3ballers are taking low percentage shots without feeding the big dog and then expect him to go run down the court to stop a transition hoop. You got your best line of defense already trailing the play when your offense is predicated off the long ball. Mitch said in the presser that this offense will highlight Dwight since he is the "future cornerstone of this franchise". Then you have D'Antoni saying that Dwight would flourish in this offense. Granted Nash has barely scraped the surface, but looking at what Dwight has given us so far, his back surgery isn't the only factor hurting his offensive efficiency.

And if nothing else, I don't support an offense that has Pau averaging about 3 3ball attempts in the last 6 games. Pau could be ineffective in the post, but putting him out on the arc isn't the venue in getting the most efficient production out of him.

You put this along with the way D'antoni is abusing guard play and the minutes necessary for such an offense and its down right irresponsible if you are trying to play for a title. You're saying we have no depth...well I agree, but a large part of that is due to D'Antoni shortening the bench...in December. :freak2: Tawn wants to wish you a Happy New Year...at least someone should have one, cause it doesn't look like it will be him.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:11 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Doc: Phil wanted to call it quits back then. NOW, he had his agent flying in to sit down with Mitch and Jimmy to discuss terms. Then the clock struck midnight and the Phil fantasy ended...

If you have the all time winningest coach WANT to coach again and he's at your disposal, you do not dispose him. :disagree:

That core that flamed out after 3 straight Finals appearances, flamed out cause of 3 straight Finals appearances. Yeah, they're older, but we've added to the core and in recent seasons (one being a lockout shortened one), they've had lengthy summer breaks.

Nash in the triangle wouldn't be Fisher. Nash shoots at a higher clip and when defenses try to chase him off the line, he does his best Kobe pump fake impression and then dribble drive...where the dude will be Steve Nash and not Fisher.

The triangle highlights the post, but it really is far more than that. You got a motion offense once the ball gets dumped inside. Dwight may not be as explosive after back surgery and have a far more limited post game than Shaq, but the bottom line is that he would get more touches and be highlighted much more in a triangle offense rather than be some dummy roll guy in the offense we are running. You look at what Dwight is giving us offensively and anybody can tell you that this offense is not fully utilizing him. Not only that, but this offense gets alot of shots without even going inside. So now this team of inefficient career 3ballers are taking low percentage shots without feeding the big dog and then expect him to go run down the court to stop a transition hoop. You got your best line of defense already trailing the play when your offense is predicated off the long ball. Mitch said in the presser that this offense will highlight Dwight since he is the "future cornerstone of this franchise". Then you have D'Antoni saying that Dwight would flourish in this offense. Granted Nash has barely scraped the surface, but looking at what Dwight has given us so far, his back surgery isn't the only factor hurting his offensive efficiency.

And if nothing else, I don't support an offense that has Pau averaging about 3 3ball attempts in the last 6 games. Pau could be ineffective in the post, but putting him out on the arc isn't the venue in getting the most efficient production out of him.

You put this along with the way D'antoni is abusing guard play and the minutes necessary for such an offense and its down right irresponsible if you are trying to play for a title. You're saying we have no depth...well I agree, but a large part of that is due to D'Antoni shortening the bench...in December. :freak2: Tawn wants to wish you a Happy New Year...at least someone should have one, cause it doesn't look like it will be him.

This. And then some. I wanted to post something similar but was too damn lazy and pissed after last night. Thank you.
borri

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:08 pm

dantoni isnt a bad coach...he just has to tweak somethings to make everyone utilized. he didnt have a training camp and dwight isnt 100%, nash was gone, Pau is useless. I'm glad hes using Hill now after saying he wouldn't so i expect the same thing to happen for Jamison. Get a game in and prove his worth like Hill did and find himself in the rotation. it could be worse, we could still have mike brown.

LeBron was a huge star. He was as big as I was in 2000 in L.A. when I was dominating the league. … Our coach, Mike Brown, was a nice guy, but he had to live on edge because nobody was supposed to be confrontational with LeBron. Nobody wanted him to leave Cleveland, so he was allowed to do whatever he wanted to do.

I remember one day in a film session LeBron didn’t get back on defense after a missed shot. Mike Brown didn’t say anything about it. He went to the next clip and it was Mo Williams not getting back and Mike was saying, “Yo, Mo, we can’t have that. You’ve got to hustle a little more.” So Delonte West is sitting there and he’s seen enough and he stands up and says, “Hold up, now. You can’t be [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] around like that. Everyone has to be accountable for what they do, not just some us.” Mike Brown said, “I know, Delonte. I know.” Mike knew Delonte was right. …

I’m not sure if Kobe is going to listen to Mike Brown. LeBron never really did. Here’s what we do know: Kobe will definitely be in charge. - Shaq
Ariza3

Postby DarthRekal on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:44 pm

garbage :bang:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Helljumper on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:13 pm

lakerswiz wrote:
Helljumper wrote:D'antoni has many flaws. I hope it's becoming clear that the fact that his offensive system limits Pau and Dwight's opportunities in the post isn't one of them.

I didn't see the game last night so I don't understand everything about the current state of Lakerdom, but just because Dwight and Pau are getting the ball and putting up the shots it doesn't mean that the offense isn't limiting their post opportunities.

He's not giving them the ball in straight post ups. At least not on purpose. And that IS limiting to them. That's something both players were used to. Straight 1 on 1 post up.

You misread my post. I'm acknowledging that the offense is limiting to them. I'm saying that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Neither Pau nor Dwight have been effective in establishing 1 on 1 post position, or converting when they do get it. This isn't something that I picked up from last night's game. It's something that I've been harping on for a while. Beating a dead horse, but Pau hasn't been the same post presence since 2011, even in the Triangle and Brown's post-dominant offense. Dwight has never been that skilled of a post player, and he no longer has the athleticism to make up for that lack of skill. If you disagree with me on that ... I don't know what I can tell you. I guess we're just seeing different things on the court.

The counterargument I usually get to this is that since the system is limiting their touches in the post, they can't establish a rhythm to their post play since the opportunities are inconsistent. I don't buy that. Other than the Portland blowout, every game we've been in since Nash's return has been close. In these close games, I don't think it would make sense to continue feeding Dwight when he's constantly getting stripped and otherwise being unable to finish unless he's set up for an easy dunk.
Helljumper

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:02 pm

Dwight has been getting plenty of post ups in the manner he wants, he just f***s them up consistently. Last night was one of those games where he couldn't get into any rhythm and any time he got an easy basket he was fouled. It was just ugly

Pau in the post is a thing of the past. Even though he wants to be there I think he's actually more effective just passing from the elbow and shooting jumpers.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby odom1year on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:07 pm

JLaker17 wrote:Garbage is 3-19, so Pau and Dwight.

Wondering if Kobe shot at 16-41 FG, would you say Kobe is garbage.
odom1year

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:21 pm

We know Dwight is getting free throws. Getting him the ball down there allows our vets a momentary breather and with the minutes D'Antoni is giving them, they'll need it.

Get the big man in foul trouble and it allows the double to come..inside out is far more effective and pleasing to the nerves than swinging the ball on the perimeter for a long J. If Dwight is still hovering around 7-8 shot attempts a game, you can live with that as long as he either has a good amount of assists tacked on or was the initiator to hockey assists. Bottomline is baseline...get it down there before you fork up a shot.

The offense we are running just has him screen and roll and he hardly gets the ball. When he does get the limited touches in the post, he's so hungry to do something with it, that he hardly looks to pass and just goes diving in to either draw a foul or put up a shot attempt. If the man felt involved he would get alot more comfortable down there, but with the minimal dumps into the paint he's getting no repetition...he's getting no routine...he's getting nothing.

In terms of Pau...trodgers put up some stats and they are pretty revealing. Aside from plantar fasciitis contributing to the declining at the rim percentage...I still would take a higher frequency of those than the looks he's getting from 3land. If you have a 7 footer about to launch from the arc, as a defender, I'm encouraging that shot. Pau is a good shooter and its a testament to his shooting that he can knock down a wide open 3 pointer. But the defender is giving him that shot. D'Antoni greenlit it and the rest is history. Upon Gasol's return, he's averaging just a shade under 3 shot attempts from 3land. This is after that little pau-wow he had with D'Antoni. If Gasol gets touches down low, it encourages the opposing bigs to defend him and either foul or defend a higher percentage shot than a 3 ball. Of course, with his injuries, Pau has lost explosion so now he's getting blocked at the rim....but what did we see last night...Dwight cleaned it up and got hacked himself. In this offense, Dwight has to live off the PnR or cleaning up a shot attempt. With a 3ball, the rock is coming off hot off the rim...this lowers Dwight's ability to crash the offensive boards and not to mention kills our transition defense. Meanwhile, if Pau comes into the paint and misses closer to the rim or gets blocked trying to attack, you'll have Dwight in better position to clean it up.

For the love of Laker humanity...go inside!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:40 pm

After putting some thought into last nights game, I'm still perpelexed at how MDA didn't put Hill in in the last 2-3 minutes and take Pau out for defensive purposes alone; not to mention the energy he brings on both ends is what we needed last night.

That said, MDA is going to have to do one heck of a job coaching to get this team into the playoffs unless there is roster changes. Any coach would have had the same issues including Phil; Dwight's not 100%, Pau is a shell of of his self, Nash & Kobe can't keep anybody in front of them, we're old, etc. We looked good on paper, but this sure doesn't look good on the court.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:45 pm

Maybe we ought to... bring back the Princeton. LOL.
JGC

Postby 432J on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:47 pm

jim buss screwed this team up and they're gonna be f*cked for a while

2 horrendous coaching hires and he the inability to swallow his own pride and do what's best for the team. stupid [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]
432J

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:54 pm

432J wrote:jim buss screwed this team up and they're gonna be f*cked for a while

2 horrendous coaching hires and he the inability to swallow his own pride and do what's best for the team. stupid [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]

"Make no mistake about it, Jerry Buss made the final call on firing Mike Brown, passing over Jackson and ultimately deciding on D'Antoni," confirmed an NBA source who requested anonymity. "The management structure is a democracy up to a certain point; but when something very big comes up, Jerry makes the decision.

"That's not to say he overrules his guys all the time – he doesn't. But if he disagrees, he uses his veto power to do what is in the best interests of his organization. He's overruled Kupchak and he even went against Jerry West sometimes. They would have animated discussions, and Dr. Buss would listen, then sometimes do what he wanted."
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:00 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
432J wrote:jim buss screwed this team up and they're gonna be f*cked for a while

"Make no mistake about it, Jerry Buss made the final call on firing Mike Brown, passing over Jackson and ultimately deciding on D'Antoni," confirmed an NBA source who requested anonymity. "The management structure is a democracy up to a certain point; but when something very big comes up, Jerry makes the decision.

"That's not to say he overrules his guys all the time – he doesn't. But if he disagrees, he uses his veto power to do what is in the best interests of his organization. He's overruled Kupchak and he even went against Jerry West sometimes. They would have animated discussions, and Dr. Buss would listen, then sometimes do what he wanted."

I've thought this all along. David Alridge reported something similar when Brown got fired saying it was Jerry's decision. You always know who the boss is. People think it is automatically Jim & Mitch who make all personnel & coaching decisions, and they do to an extent, with the exception that Jerry wants to go in his own direction on those matters; Unfortunately, some people just don't understand it even if you put it right in front of them.
Last edited by dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwighthowardsdad

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard