Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby XXIV on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:29 pm

Strange how there's still no other assistant coaches.
XXIV

 
Posts: 6387
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Finwë on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:11 pm

Now that Howard's gone, how about Stan Van Gundy as a potential coach for this team?
This season is probably a wash, and if we're actually going into 2014 thinking about a title, there's no question MDA should go. So how about SVG? I think he's a good, down to earth, smart coach.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:45 pm

Lakers FO doesn't seem to get the big names they want to pursue won't be thrilled by the idea to play for MDA ... even for just one season

It really looked like our organization is run by amateurs .
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6419
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:20 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Lakers FO doesn't seem to get the big names they want to pursue won't be thrilled by the idea to play for MDA ... even for just one season

It really looked like our organization is run by amateurs .


Have you always been this negative with your posts or am I just now noticing it? Every post, dumb Lakers, old Kobe, no one wants to come because of Kobe, screwed up front office. Wow. You posted the above even after we just got Nick Young for vet minimum. WTF?
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6336
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:25 am

LTLakerFan wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:Lakers FO doesn't seem to get the big names they want to pursue won't be thrilled by the idea to play for MDA ... even for just one season

It really looked like our organization is run by amateurs .


Have you always been this negative with your posts or am I just now noticing it? Every post, dumb Lakers, old Kobe, no one wants to come because of Kobe, screwed up front office. Wow. You posted the above even after we just got Nick Young for vet minimum. WTF?


:man10: it's just you ... my latest 10 ish posts have been " negative " ( it's your take , I would say " realistic" ...)

I'm good though ... I even said I thought we would do much worse than Farmar and Kaman
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6419
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:30 am

Good.... was worried :beer:
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6336
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:44 am

I think the hold up on Rambis might be related to the former Lakers we're pursuing.. We still need to see if LO & Sasha are coming back.. if we bring those guys back I think Rambis joining to staff to help utilize the Phil guys properly becomes more likely. I don't even know what the alternatives are at this point.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:24 am

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 43m
If last season was any indication, D'Antoni will fiddle with the roster until he finds one he likes and lean on 8-9 guys.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite Mo


If MDA does this, he is incredibly stupid.

He needs to at least play 9 and maybe go to 10.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19455
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:45 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 43m
If last season was any indication, D'Antoni will fiddle with the roster until he finds one he likes and lean on 8-9 guys.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite Mo


If MDA does this, he is incredibly stupid.

He needs to at least play 9 and maybe go to 10.


We'll see, but given D' Antoni's stubbornness, I wouldn't expect anything out of the usual for him.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15212
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:16 am

MDA has a long history of playing a short rotation ... but "to his credit" even the good Suns teams weren't very deep on the bench...

This season is a different story though ... no need to take huge risks and the our depth will be better than last season one
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6419
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:24 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 43m
If last season was any indication, D'Antoni will fiddle with the roster until he finds one he likes and lean on 8-9 guys.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite Mo


If MDA does this, he is incredibly stupid.

He needs to at least play 9 and maybe go to 10.

Stupid post by Markazi.

If HISTORY were any indication, he'd go for an 8-9 man crew. If LAST SEASON was any indication of our team for THIS season, we're going to get the #1 pick. No way THIS team could handle half the injuries of last season.

But then again, in D'Antoni's best seasons in Phoenix he used plenty of his roster. I think the main problem is that when injuries hit, he gets scared and doesn't utilize the deeper bench. And of course last season that was a huge problem; both because our deeper bench was awful and he overutilized our starters.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40268
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:14 pm

'Antoni being interviewed during the summer league game, was asked about the roster as we only have 9 or 10 signed now. His answer was we're looking at a few guys, hope to find one in summer league, and "obviously Ryan Kelly will be on the team". So unless he misspoke, I think it was just confirmed we are keeping Kelly, which I think we all suspected as we're going cheap this season, plus he can play. The rest of the interview, he's so generic I start to tune out, but he is excited about Nick Young and his ability to score obviously.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50941
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Kelly shouldn't get a spot just because. He's got a red flag, two surgeries on his foot and no one knows how he will play at the NBA level. He's a 2nd round pick, he needs to earn it.

It would be dumb to go into the season with him guaranteed a spot and then be a complete bust and we have no backup PF.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19455
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:21 pm

I just figure they need to fill the roster with bodies at this point, and his potential is good enough to keep him on. That could change in training camp though, I'm sure nothing is truly "guaranteed".
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50941
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby TaniBoyz on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:00 pm

so when will we have a complete staff?
Image
User avatar
TaniBoyz

 
Posts: 839
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: The Philippines

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:13 pm

What more do you want? We have the 2 Dan Tonys and Mad Dog. Let's roll :mhihi:
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6336
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Helljumper on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:02 pm

I'm fine with locking in Kelly as the third string PF, but we definitely need someone else. If we sign LO, I'm content with our PF/C rotations.
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14860
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:05 am

Doc Brown wrote:Kelly shouldn't get a spot just because. He's got a red flag, two surgeries on his foot and no one knows how he will play at the NBA level. He's a 2nd round pick, he needs to earn it.

It would be dumb to go into the season with him guaranteed a spot and then be a complete bust and we have no backup PF.

Well according to Mitch and more importantly Gary Vitti and Judy Seto his foot isn't a red flag at all and he should be 100% come the season opener.
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11650
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:59 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Kelly shouldn't get a spot just because. He's got a red flag, two surgeries on his foot and no one knows how he will play at the NBA level. He's a 2nd round pick, he needs to earn it.

It would be dumb to go into the season with him guaranteed a spot and then be a complete bust and we have no backup PF.

Well according to Mitch and more importantly Gary Vitti and Judy Seto his foot isn't a red flag at all and he should be 100% come the season opener.


He's had two surgeries on it.

Foot problem + big man = not good
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19455
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:08 am

D'Antoni clearly made many changes last season. He has shown a willingness to learn and adapt. I'm not going to beat him up for things he hasn't done wrong yet.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46462
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Armani on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:59 pm

trodgers wrote:D'Antoni clearly made many changes last season. He has shown a willingness to learn and adapt. I'm not going to beat him up for things he hasn't done wrong yet.


Agree with this... the only problem with D'Antoni is the defense. If only we could hire a great defensive assistant. :bang:

I wonder if there's a young Thibs out there in the market, looking for an assistant job.
Image
User avatar
Armani

 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:45 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:06 am

Armani wrote:
trodgers wrote:D'Antoni clearly made many changes last season. He has shown a willingness to learn and adapt. I'm not going to beat him up for things he hasn't done wrong yet.


Agree with this... the only problem with D'Antoni is the defense. If only we could hire a great defensive assistant. :bang:

I wonder if there's a young Thibs out there in the market, looking for an assistant job.

There's always somebody out there...

But not for this team this season. :man10: We're not so much worried about defense this year. Evidence by the fact that the only person who kind of plays defense is... our new guy: Wesley Johnson. That's pretty much it and he's not great either.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40268
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Rooscooter on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:15 am

Armani wrote:
trodgers wrote:D'Antoni clearly made many changes last season. He has shown a willingness to learn and adapt. I'm not going to beat him up for things he hasn't done wrong yet.


Agree with this... the only problem with D'Antoni is the defense. If only we could hire a great defensive assistant. :bang:

I wonder if there's a young Thibs out there in the market, looking for an assistant job.


The defensive coach isn't the issue. Smaller shooters running a fast paced offense will never play good defense. A big part of defense is controlling where your players are on offense when the shot goes up. MDA's offense is shoot the first open shot regardless of the set, floor balance or relative position on the floor.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22826
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby kenzo on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:57 pm

His substitions pattern and effed up lineups is what worries me. If he plays 7-8 guys again and runs them into the ground, he should be fired on the spot. With our present roster we won't play any D even under Thibs 2.0 :man9:
User avatar
kenzo

 
Posts: 5968
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Poland

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:41 am

LAS VEGAS -- Mike D'Antoni is sitting baseline with Los Angeles Lakers Summer League coach Dan D'Antoni on one side and Kurt Rambis on the other. He's at the Thomas & Mack Center before the first game tips off, doing "a little scouting." Once the crowd fills out, father and son attendees, families wearing Los Angeles Clippers attire and NBA fans who are at the arena soaking in Summer League action crowd him with their sharpies and NBA paraphernalia.


What to make of this?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19455
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.