Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:01 pm

Pig Miller wrote:who do you guys think will be the next lakers coach once mda is gone? (assume it won't be phil)

or who would you like as coach?

I think that if Rambis comes back to be an assistant, he'll be the next head coach.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby 432J on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 pm

first get rambis on board

then hamblen

then cleamons

and then....

:bow:
432J

Postby Center Court on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:26 pm

JSM wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I think your standards for a "good coach" are simply too high JSM.

I think there are only two great coaches in the NBA - Doc and Pop.
Next tier (very good) - Spo and Thibs
Followed by - Carlisle, Adelman, Vogel, Brooks, Mark Jackson
Next - Woodson, McHale, Brown, Cheeks, Drew, and Corbin

I would put MDA somewhere in the last tier and not at the top, either. To me being middle of the pack in the league doesn't translate to "good." Also, the only reason he's that high is because there are eight new coaches...I will guarantee at least a couple of them will be better than MDA.

therealdeal wrote: I'm saying he's going to do a good job of getting the most out of players like Johnson, Young, and Farmar. They're young, they'll run, and their numbers will inflate because of it.

I agree with that. But just saying "run" and pushing the ball to inflate a meaningless offensive number when you're getting murdered on the other end doesn't make you a good coach. Good coaches teach. These players won't learn anything under MDA or grow as players.

Not really agreeing with your tier system all the way.. mine is like this:

1) Pop, Doc, Thibs
2) Vogel, Carslisle, Adleman, Brooks, Jackson, Spo
3) Mostly everyone else including MDA

Thibs to me has had an incredible influence on how hard his team plays. Not sure there is anyone other than Pop I take over him, including Doc.

Also, I am starting to think Brooks is overrated. I think this year will determine a lot for him and Jackson
Center Court

Postby Armani on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04 am

We might be a Bottom 5 defensive team next season, even with Rambis. Old Pau, Old Kobe, 40 Year Old Nash, Old Odom, Old Caveman, Old Old Old...and Wesley Johnson/Nick Young haven't proven to be game changing defenders.
Armani

Kurt Rambis Is Back

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:59 am

Kurt Rambis Is Back

Kurt Rambis ‏@KRambis 5m

It's official. I'm back with the @Lakers. #Assistant coach. Very excited. @ESPN @TWC.

https://twitter.com/KRambis/status/361892057809297411

Welcome home, Kurt! :jam2:
Kobe8Fan

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:03 am

^Great news. Glad to hear it's done officially. Good addition to the staff...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:09 am

:jam2:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambo! (130)

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:24 am

"The defense sucks because MDA won't let Rambis do his job..."

I can see it coming.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:35 am

Oh yeah, it's definitely coming. :man10:

What I'm hopeful for is that Rambis can work with D'Antoni to build a trapping defense that can still facilitate D'Antoni's need to run. Especially with that new and improved second unit of young guys.

Our starter's defense will be important too. What can Rambis institute so that our weaknesses are blunted a little bit?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:45 am

I don't know who ran our summer league teams defense, but I liked the way it looked. They should use a form of that, I believe it had quite a bit of trapping as mentioned.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:50 am

Weezy wrote:I don't know who ran our summer league teams defense, but I liked the way it looked. They should use a form of that, I believe it had quite a bit of trapping as mentioned.

Yeah it was basically Miami's corner trapping defense. The idea is to force the PG into the corner and then have your athletic team fly around and create turnovers. That's their go-to move defensively.

Then if that's not there, they play aggressive on ball defense, try to force turnovers and then move to help in the passing lanes.

It's really effective if you have the athletes to run it. We didn't last season and in our starting lineup we still don't. But our bench should be able to easily run it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenshi1023 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:03 am

trade mda for shaw please. thanks mitch!
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:08 am

Finally. Glad to hear it at long last. I would have been more stoked on this if Howard had stayed though, honestly. To me it was kind of a move to satisfy and further integrate Howard. With the squad we have (no defenders left whatsoever), it seems kind of odd especially since I don't think Rambis likes Mike Antoni much and his system isn't really conducive to a lot of D. But I am happy to have him back just because he's a Laker. Guess we'll see how it all goes.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:35 am

at least we have MDA's replacement ready...great move!
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby charvin on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:04 pm

Hooray, we hired an assistant coach this month!
charvin

Postby karacha on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:08 pm

Alright, very good!
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:30 pm

Good news! Now maybe we can be bottom 10 instead of dead last in the league on D :man10:

We're definitely gonna need some kind of defensive scheme cuz our man to man D is going to be atrocious. With Kobe recovering from his injury, our best defender might be Steve Blake?? OUCH.
nthydro

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:43 pm

nthydro wrote:Good news! Now maybe we can be bottom 10 instead of dead last in the league on D :man10:

We're definitely gonna need some kind of defensive scheme cuz our man to man D is going to be atrocious. With Kobe recovering from his injury, our best defender might be Steve Blake?? OUCH.

Wesley Johnson will be our best defender this season. Followed by Jordan Hill being our rim protector.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:52 pm

therealdeal wrote:
nthydro wrote:Good news! Now maybe we can be bottom 10 instead of dead last in the league on D :man10:

Wesley Johnson will be our best defender this season. Followed by Jordan Hill being our rim protector.

You mean Mr and1?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby nthydro on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:55 pm

therealdeal wrote:

I think right now we're hoping Wesley can be that guy. From the few times I've seen him play, I don't recall seeing anything special defensively from him. But I only see him a few times ever year in the regular season. So far I've heard positive things about his potential on D so I'm cautiously optimistic. Hell, after the biggest let down season we had last year, I'm cautious about all my expectations now...

As for Hill, he's a good rim protector like you said but his man to man D is not that great.
nthydro

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:24 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

You mean Mr and1?

Yup. :man10:

To be fair to him, he has the effort on help defense, he just doesn't always get there in time. I think part of that can change with playing time and being able to recognize things as they come. He's easily our best help defender around the rim now though. So... Mr. and1 is going to have to adjust. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:26 pm

nthydro wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

I think right now we're hoping Wesley can be that guy. From the few times I've seen him play, I don't recall seeing anything special defensively from him. But I only see him a few times ever year in the regular season. So far I've heard positive things about his potential on D so I'm cautiously optimistic. Hell, after the biggest let down season we had last year, I'm cautious about all my expectations now...

As for Hill, he's a good rim protector like you said but his man to man D is not that great.

Wesley isn't a lock down defender, but he's a very good one. His arms are ridiculously long. Just stupid long. That allows him to really bother guards on the perimeter with their dribble. Kobe a couple seasons ago had a tough time with him and he's said so. Wesley's main problem is his strength, but he has every bit the same tools as Trevor Ariza did (in fact I think his ceiling is absolutely higher than Trevor's was).

Hill's defense is alright man-to-man against PFs, but against Centers he's just too small; both in height and strength. That's why he's our PF right now though.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:28 pm

Defense is a lot easier when all 5 players know what they are doing and in the correct spots. That hasn't been the case for a couple of years now.

I'm hoping Rambis can at least put together a defense where everyone knows where they are supposed to be when the ball is in "x" area of the court.

Then we can change it up and run a more athletic play the passing lanes, trapping, get turnovers defense when the young guys are on the court.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JSM on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:39 pm

Dave McMenamin of ESPN wrote:The Los Angeles Lakers have hired veteran coaches Kurt Rambis and Johnny Davis to their staff as assistant coaches, the team said Monday.

Rambis, an ESPN analyst, rejoins the team after serving as an assistant coach on and off between 1999 and 2009; he was the lead assistant from 2001-04 and 2005-09. He has eight championship rings as a player, coach and front-office executive.

"Kurt is a great basketball mind, extremely good at working with big men and his experience as a head coach in this league is going to prove very helpful to our staff," Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said in a statement.

Davis brings more than 20 years of NBA coaching experience to the Lakers, including stints as coach for the Orlando Magic (2003-05) and Philadelphia 76ers (1996-97).

"Johnny is a two-time NBA head coach with years of experience playing as well as coaching in this league," D'Antoni said. "The vast array of NBA knowledge he brings to the table will be invaluable to us."

Rambis left the Lakers in 2009 to become coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves but was fired after two seasons with the rebuilding club.

"Mike and I have known each other for a long period of time," Rambis told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Monday when asked how the job under D'Antoni came about. "We were coaches in a basketball camp many years ago in Phoenix. The NBA used to have a camp there for draftees and potential draftees that we worked out, so we've known each other for a long time. It was a comfortable environment for Mike to just come up and ask if I was interested in getting back into coaching and if I was interested in getting back involved with the Lakers."

Rambis said former Lakers coach Phil Jackson was in favor of the move.

"We're still friends," Rambis said of Jackson. "We still talk basketball. He's back in Montana. He's got a lot of family and friends back there now, so he's dealing with an awful lot of people at his homes there. So, he's focusing on them. But, he thinks this is a great opportunity for me and he's excited about it."

However, Rambis made it clear that his loyalty is to D'Antoni even though he will maintain a relationship with Jackson.

"I'm here to support Mike," Rambis said. "It doesn't mean that I won't talk to everybody and anybody about basketball. I've done that my entire life. I don't think anybody knows everything about basketball. There's always good ideas, even if it's just drills for practices. So, it's always good to talk basketball with people. I think whenever you're a coach at any level in any situation, the more conversations you have with different people -- especially successful people -- it only benefits you."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby noobiew on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Welcome back Kurt Rambis ! :jam2:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard