Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:11 am

Ariza3 wrote:what happened to starting metta for key match ups? should he start against the clips? or come off the bench to try and guard jamal? who guarded him last time we played? i think he didnt shoot too well with whoever was on him


Morris on CP3
Nash on Green
Kobe on Caron
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6428
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby MC on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:18 am

Blame Jerry..... blame Jim...... doesn't really matter at this point, the real issue is this owner wants to win BUT he wants to win his way.

That sometimes has you biting your nose to spite your face.

I think that is the crux of the situation.... ego trumped a will to win.

.... and as fans we have every right to be pissed off and if I had access to the Buss family I'd be dropping the word Phil or Jackson or both EVERY DARN CHANCE I COULD......

I want a winner...... the triangle won and won A-L-O-T...PERIOD.

Run and gun or watching Nash create is pretty to watch BUT it is not winning basketball....... playoffs always comes down to half court play, even for those "running" teams.

What is up with the world of sports theses days....... you have fools trying to convince bigger fools that the NFL is a pass happy league like the CFL and that the NBA is a small mans game.......... both gimmicks and both couldn't be further from the truth. I'm sure in the age of fantasy sports this mentality flies (and is most likely why people actually think that) but no matter how much it's repeated it doesn't make it true. It's maddening as an old school sports fan to watch and listen to this foolishness but it is what it is I guess.
Last edited by MC on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
User avatar
MC

 
Posts: 4374
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby MC on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:28 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
Helljumper wrote:I'm sorry, but I can't take the anti-D'antoni posts that constantly bring up Phil seriously. He's not our coach. He won't be. We won't ever know what he'd be able to do with this team. You can bring up his track record, but the fact of the matter is that we have some glaring issues on this roster that have nothing to do with our offensive system, rotations, or defensive schemes. It's obvious that some of you are constantly (and unfairly) comparing what D'antoni's actually doing with this team with some imaginary hypothetical vision of this team that you had when you originally heard we might get Phil.


Seriously it's ridiculous. It's so easy to sit there and act like everything would have been perfect under Phil because of all the wonderful fantasies you draw up in your head because you don't have to worry about any of them ever being being proven wrong. And it's so easy to ridicule D'Antoni because of what has happened so far when the fact is so many of this team's problems go far beyond anything in his control.

Now seriously please stop talking about Phil in this thread. It's pathetic and really annoying. A couple of posters here don't seem to have anything better to do and can't seem to get over it.


Lakers fans are using every excuse they can to not admit the obvious : a flawed roster which lacks youth , athleticism and speed ...

With MDA as a coach : barely making the playoffs/1st round exit.

With Phil : MAYBE a 2nd round exit .... wow big deal .

This roster isn't championship material regardless of the coach ... I wish more posters would realize it


This is more about Philosophy than the names guys........

This is a flawed roster but why would you run full steam ahead towards your weaknesses?

Every team in the league is flawed one way or the other so I don't think your point flies there....... I personally don't want this team to follow the flavor of the week running teams..... it is better and works to your advantage too be different IF....IFFFFFFFFFF..... you have a good to great coach that can use it to his advantage.

good to great coaches play towards their strengths and reduces or masks their weaknesses.

average to Bonehead coaches just do what they do regardless of what their roster is.

Really, REALLY bad Front offices accumulate players with no sense of direction for the team than change their mind and philosophy if any hiccup or bump in the road comes along.......... what does that add up to for the Lakers? old as dirt roster trying to up[ the pace lmfao..............

sad.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
User avatar
MC

 
Posts: 4374
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:00 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:what happened to starting metta for key match ups? should he start against the clips? or come off the bench to try and guard jamal? who guarded him last time we played? i think he didnt shoot too well with whoever was on him


Morris on CP3
Nash on Green
Kobe on Caron


as much as i dislike starting morris. hes honestly our best chance at guarding cp3 to start the game. but i really dont think it matters bc cp3 doesnt start games attacking...he starts with getting others involved and then later attacks if need be. i remember metta on cp3 sometimes and it actually wasnt half bad so i expect that to happen im sure somewhere in the game. nash or kobe on cp3 would be terrible. so morris meeks or mwp is our best bet imo. sad but true

caron has been red hot so kobe better not ball watch and sag way off him or we're doomed. same with nash on green.
Image
User avatar
Ariza3

 
Posts: 4701
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:14 am

MC wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
Helljumper wrote:I'm sorry, but I can't take the anti-D'antoni posts that constantly bring up Phil seriously. He's not our coach. He won't be. We won't ever know what he'd be able to do with this team. You can bring up his track record, but the fact of the matter is that we have some glaring issues on this roster that have nothing to do with our offensive system, rotations, or defensive schemes. It's obvious that some of you are constantly (and unfairly) comparing what D'antoni's actually doing with this team with some imaginary hypothetical vision of this team that you had when you originally heard we might get Phil.


Seriously it's ridiculous. It's so easy to sit there and act like everything would have been perfect under Phil because of all the wonderful fantasies you draw up in your head because you don't have to worry about any of them ever being being proven wrong. And it's so easy to ridicule D'Antoni because of what has happened so far when the fact is so many of this team's problems go far beyond anything in his control.

Now seriously please stop talking about Phil in this thread. It's pathetic and really annoying. A couple of posters here don't seem to have anything better to do and can't seem to get over it.


Lakers fans are using every excuse they can to not admit the obvious : a flawed roster which lacks youth , athleticism and speed ...

With MDA as a coach : barely making the playoffs/1st round exit.

With Phil : MAYBE a 2nd round exit .... wow big deal .

This roster isn't championship material regardless of the coach ... I wish more posters would realize it


This is more about Philosophy than the names guys........

This is a flawed roster but why would you run full steam ahead towards your weaknesses?

Every team in the league is flawed one way or the other so I don't think your point flies there....... I personally don't want this team to follow the flavor of the week running teams..... it is better and works to your advantage too be different IF....IFFFFFFFFFF..... you have a good to great coach that can use it to his advantage.

good to great coaches play towards their strengths and reduces or masks their weaknesses.

average to Bonehead coaches just do what they do regardless of what their roster is.

Really, REALLY bad Front offices accumulate players with no sense of direction for the team than change their mind and philosophy if any hiccup or bump in the road comes along.......... what does that add up to for the Lakers? old as dirt roster trying to up[ the pace lmfao..............

sad.


I agree and did say the same some time ago ... MDA system reinforces our weaknesses and limits our strengths ... however let's not act like this team would go to the Finals if coached by Phil .

If you can't beat ( even should blow out) the Magic , Sixers , Jazz of this world at home , you're not a good team and it has nothing to do with coaching
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6428
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby KB24 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:57 am

I really don't think D'Antoni is to blame for our misery...we sucked on defense with a defensive coach...D'Antoni is known for offense and that part of the court has produced for the most part....

could Phil do more? possibly. But he would have killed Nash's game along the way too...so there were some risks with Phil too. But you can't blame D'Antoni for not being Phil, nobody is going to fill those gigantic shoes.

D'Antoni has for the most part done ok...except for Jamison not getting any second and Kobe playing way too many minutes I have nothing to complain about.
Image

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55536
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby MC on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:28 am

wcsoldier - ya.... there was no guarantee that Jackson would be able to save this season for them but at least he would have had a system that did not rely 1 on player.

I'm really pissed at the FO more than MDA..... MDA is giving them what was expected. The FO however blinked and not only did they blink but they choose a direction that doesn't seem to focus on our strengths as a core unit. I think Brown was a better fit for this unit right now than MDA and the reasoning is simple. he understood that he needed a half court system to control the pace of the games and limit their weaknesses. That system was also going to need time which is where the FO comes in...... the blinked and complete sh*t the bed when we didn't even get a good chance to see if Nash could have figured out a way to work within the system and add his P&R as an offset to it....... that way this team could operate properly without Nash being on the court. Even Nash mentioned in the small sample we saw him with Brown that he had the green light to run P&R anytime he wanted but was trying to quicken the learning curb by running the base offenmse more......... key word here, time.

Instead we get panic and now we have a team and coach completely handicapped unless Nash is on the floor. On top of that shorter rotations for an old as dirt roster......... are you kidding me!

There were more options than just Phil too..... and one that could have continued with the implemented princeton to boot.............. but instead we got the FO who S-H-*-T T-H-E B-E-D.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
User avatar
MC

 
Posts: 4374
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:38 am

^^ I agree with your last paragraph especially. There were others besides just Phil who I always thought was a long shot given his contentious relationship with Jim Buss. Sloan and McMillan were two good candidates that I would have greatly preferred to MDA. I thought Sloan was the best fit for this personnel.

Regardless, this was a rush job when it didn't need to be. Bernie was doing just fine. They should have conducted a real search, but it was clear they just wanted MDA come hell or high water. I like MDA better than Brown but I don't have a ton of faith in the guy to get us to the promised land. But . . . gotta see how it all plays out. We're not even close to that right now. I don't love his recent substitution ideas however. I don't like Morris starting, and don't like that he won't use Jamison. He's stubborn just like Brown was.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15234
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:35 am

Ariza3 wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:what happened to starting metta for key match ups? should he start against the clips? or come off the bench to try and guard jamal? who guarded him last time we played? i think he didnt shoot too well with whoever was on him


Morris on CP3
Nash on Green
Kobe on Caron


as much as i dislike starting morris. hes honestly our best chance at guarding cp3 to start the game. but i really dont think it matters bc cp3 doesnt start games attacking...he starts with getting others involved and then later attacks if need be. i remember metta on cp3 sometimes and it actually wasnt half bad so i expect that to happen im sure somewhere in the game. nash or kobe on cp3 would be terrible. so morris meeks or mwp is our best bet imo. sad but true

caron has been red hot so kobe better not ball watch and sag way off him or we're doomed. same with nash on green.


Morris couldn't handle Holiday, what makes anyone think he'll hang with Cp3? Caron might be injured I think, didn't see him play last nite against the Warriors but Barnes seems to have filled in quite nicely for him (I still laugh at the decision to not keep him just cause of his playoff failures vs. no show Ebanks :man10: )
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby 432J on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:46 am

the fact that dan tony starts morris pretty much sums up how fake and unproven he is. he started morris against the knicks, he got manhandled by carmelo for a few minutes and then was taken out. that was just flat out hilarious. and then he starts against phila and can't guard holiday either.

i can't believe it's so hard for him to realize that moving kobe to the 3 and starting morris is a joke. it is dan tony we're talking about after all though
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4797
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby borri on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 am

could Phil do more? possibly. But he would have killed Nash's game along the way too...so there were some risks with Phil too. But you can't blame D'Antoni for not being Phil, nobody is going to fill those gigantic shoes.


Under the TRI....Nash would be asked to shoot more. Seeing that he's our best shooter and shooting around 10 shots a game......that's a GOOOOOOD thing.

Nash isn't just an assist man, you know that right?

Not sure what you mean by killing Nash's game.
User avatar
borri

 
Posts: 8037
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:16 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:21 am

borri wrote:
could Phil do more? possibly. But he would have killed Nash's game along the way too...so there were some risks with Phil too. But you can't blame D'Antoni for not being Phil, nobody is going to fill those gigantic shoes.


Under the TRI....Nash would be asked to shoot more. Seeing that he's our best shooter and shooting around 10 shots a game......that's a GOOOOOOD thing.

Nash isn't just an assist man, you know that right?

Not sure what you mean by killing Nash's game.


This. Dont get me wrong, Nash is most effective when he can do his own thing, but the triangle would have created open 3pt shots for him (which he is exceptional at BTW).

MDA's system makes Nash slightly more effective while making the rest of the team much less effective. But its LITERALLY the only way he know how to coach so dont hold your breath for anything.
Image
User avatar
phoenixrisingla

 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:49 am
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA!

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:25 am

and Nash isn't some Pg you tell to stand in the corner waiting to shoot 3's either, he's effective with the ball in his hands, something the Tri will take away from.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Amar'e Stoudemire took shot at Mike D'Antoni's coaching, blog says

According to the New York Times' Off the Dribble Blog, Amar'e Stoudemire took a shot at Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni.

Stoudemire, who played for D'Antoni both with the Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks, told reporters at Knicks practice, "I've never been taught defense in my whole career."

D'Antoni has been credited by some as a revolutionary offensive coach but he is rarely given credit on the defensive end. Stoudemire hasn't built up much of a reputation as a defender, despite his All-Star credentials.

Knicks Coach Mike Woodson has the Knicks currently at 21-10.

"I think having a defensive coach for the first time in my career is going to help," said Stoudemire of Woodson.

While the Knicks certainly have a better record this season, the Lakers (15-16) have held teams to 44.6% shooting while New York has allowed 45.7%. Then again, the Lakers allow 100.3 points a game while the Knicks are stingier at 97.2.

D'Antoni certainly has a lot to prove as coach of the Lakers, especially with some of the team's defensive shortcomings (present since before his arrival).

In response to Stoudemire's comments, John Schuhmann of NBA.com' Hang Time Blog pondered on Twitter, "I wonder how Shawn Marion learned to be such a good defender without anyone to teach him."

Marion and guard Raja Bell were both capable defensive stoppers for D'Antoni in Phoenix.

Image
User avatar
Ariza3

 
Posts: 4701
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Amare trying to blame someone else for his complete ineptitude on the defensive end :man10:

Dude is such a scrub
User avatar
JoelMyersScrotalSack

 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby borri on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:52 pm

khmrP wrote:and Nash isn't some Pg you tell to stand in the corner waiting to shoot 3's either, he's effective with the ball in his hands, something the Tri will take away from.


Don't get me wrong, Nash is at his best with the ball in his hands creating for others. But to say that the TRI would kill his game is absolutely inaccurate. The guy can shoot and shoot it really really well.

The TRI and PJ would demand that Nash shoot more. And that's a GOOD thing.

Nash will still be really effective, but in a different way. He'd be more of a scorer. When you have a guy who shoots the rock as well as he does, you'd want him to shoot more. And the TRI would do that. Also it would save Nash's legs for the long haul, not having to be the floor general all the time.
User avatar
borri

 
Posts: 8037
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:16 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:05 pm

Amare is complaining that "he was never taught defense". With the athleticism he (Amare) had when he was younger, he should've been dominating the league with his shot blocking ability, defensive presence and rebounding. What a joke. He should look at Howard: Dwight was a beast when he came to the league, and he was just a kid, really.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37461
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby MC on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:21 pm

khmrP wrote:and Nash isn't some Pg you tell to stand in the corner waiting to shoot 3's either, he's effective with the ball in his hands, something the Tri will take away from.


You are making the assumption that Phil wouldn't give Nash the green light to run some pick and role action... that's a big assumption, he was using more of it his last couple of years as a change up...... my guess is Jackson would have adjusted to give Nash more options in that manner.

The key however is that Jackson would have something to fall back on when Nash is NOT on the floor..... what does MDA have? nada.......... he needs a guy that is ball dominant and can distribute for the most part. This team is better than having to rely strictly on Nash don't you think?
Last edited by MC on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
User avatar
MC

 
Posts: 4374
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:22 pm

MC wrote:
khmrP wrote:and Nash isn't some Pg you tell to stand in the corner waiting to shoot 3's either, he's effective with the ball in his hands, something the Tri will take away from.


You are making the assumption that Phil wouldn't give Nash the green light to run some pick and role action... that's a big assumption, he was using more of his last couple of years as a change up...... my guess is Jackson would have adjusted to give Nash more options in that manner.

The key however is that Jackson would have something to fall back on when Nash is NOT on the floor..... what does MDA have? nada.......... he needs a guy that is ball dominant and can distribute for the most part. This team is better than having to rely strictly on Nash don't you think?


right the same way he adjusted for Payton?
Last edited by khmrP on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby MC on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:27 pm

khmrP wrote:
MC wrote:
khmrP wrote:and Nash isn't some Pg you tell to stand in the corner waiting to shoot 3's either, he's effective with the ball in his hands, something the Tri will take away from.


You are making the assumption that Phil wouldn't give Nash the green light to run some pick and role action... that's a big assumption, he was using more of his last couple of years as a change up...... my guess is Jackson would have adjusted to give Nash more options in that manner.

The key however is that Jackson would have something to fall back on when Nash is NOT on the floor..... what does MDA have? nada.......... he needs a guy that is ball dominant and can distribute for the most part. This team is better than having to rely strictly on Nash don't you think?


right the same way he adjusted for Payton?


can a guy not learn and adjust? ....... like I said, he was using it a bit more in his last 2 years with this squad that didn't really have a guy that could truly orchestrate it.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
User avatar
MC

 
Posts: 4374
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:30 pm

MC wrote:
khmrP wrote:
MC wrote:
khmrP wrote:and Nash isn't some Pg you tell to stand in the corner waiting to shoot 3's either, he's effective with the ball in his hands, something the Tri will take away from.


You are making the assumption that Phil wouldn't give Nash the green light to run some pick and role action... that's a big assumption, he was using more of his last couple of years as a change up...... my guess is Jackson would have adjusted to give Nash more options in that manner.

The key however is that Jackson would have something to fall back on when Nash is NOT on the floor..... what does MDA have? nada.......... he needs a guy that is ball dominant and can distribute for the most part. This team is better than having to rely strictly on Nash don't you think?


right the same way he adjusted for Payton?


can a guy not learn and adjust? ....... like I said, he was using it a bit more in his last 2 years with this squad that didn't really have a guy that could truly orchestrate it.


where was the adjustment during the shalacking Dall gave us? Oh thats right, this team was tired, Phil didn't give a crap anymore because he really didn't want to come back, blah blah blah. I dont like this offense either but alot of you guys making it seems as if PJ would make everything peachy on this team, when that is clearly not the case. This team has alot of deficiency, and most of them I do not see Phil being able to "adjust" to either. The Tri isn't some easy offense anyone can just pick up in a season like this w/o camp, only Pau/Kobe know it, this team would struggle just the same learning it now as they are with this PnR heavy offense.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:33 pm

Someone want to do the honors and create a Phil Jackson discussion thread? Stop spamming this thread please
User avatar
JoelMyersScrotalSack

 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby MC on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:37 pm

khmrP wrote:
MC wrote:
khmrP wrote:
MC wrote:
khmrP wrote:and Nash isn't some Pg you tell to stand in the corner waiting to shoot 3's either, he's effective with the ball in his hands, something the Tri will take away from.


You are making the assumption that Phil wouldn't give Nash the green light to run some pick and role action... that's a big assumption, he was using more of his last couple of years as a change up...... my guess is Jackson would have adjusted to give Nash more options in that manner.

The key however is that Jackson would have something to fall back on when Nash is NOT on the floor..... what does MDA have? nada.......... he needs a guy that is ball dominant and can distribute for the most part. This team is better than having to rely strictly on Nash don't you think?


right the same way he adjusted for Payton?


can a guy not learn and adjust? ....... like I said, he was using it a bit more in his last 2 years with this squad that didn't really have a guy that could truly orchestrate it.


where was the adjustment during the shalacking Dall gave us? Oh thats right, this team was tired, Phil didn't give a crap anymore because he really didn't want to come back, blah blah blah. I dont like this offense either but alot of you guys making it seems as if PJ would make everything peachy on this team, when that is clearly not the case. This team has alot of deficiency, and most of them I do not see Phil being able to "adjust" to either. The Tri isn't some easy offense anyone can just pick up in a season like this w/o camp, only Pau/Kobe know it, this team would struggle just the same learning it now as they are with this PnR heavy offense.


Sure Jackson would have been my first choice but really all I was thinking was they better not go after MDA and sure enough I jinxed myself thinking about the potential lol......... there were quite a few names i would have been ok with and it has to do with philosophy more than the name.

Bring up Dallas all you want but what did they do to beat this team? great ball movement and lights out shooting playing against a tired team with Bryant FARRRRRRRRRRRRRR from 100%........ I don't think that is even up for debate.

You sound like you just don't like Jackson but did it have to be MDA? really? The one guy I knew would be all wrong.....

and i worried about it because of Buss and his past comments about wanting a higher paced team for a showtime 2.0....... MDA was the candy Buss just couldn't say no too in that regard...... My personal nightmare.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
User avatar
MC

 
Posts: 4374
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:51 pm

NO MDA was not a choice of mine either, I brought up his name as joke during Brown tenure, little did I know the joke was on me :man6:
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:58 pm

Yes, the Lakers are old. But there's a way they can play old and win. ESPN Stats & Info broke it down ...
* The Lakers are 10-5 this season in low-possession games (95 or fewer possessions), but only 5-11 in high-possession games (96 or more possessions).

* With Mike D’Antoni on the sidelines, the Lakers are 8-2 in low-possession games, but only 2-9 in high-possession games.

* Early in the season, a fast pace wasn’t an issue: they won their first 3 games in which they had at least 100 possessions.

* But lately, they haven’t been good in fast-pace games: They’ve lost 6 of their last 7 games with at least 100 possessions.

* Meanwhile, they’ve won 5 straight games with 95 or fewer possessions.

* Seven of their last 8 wins have been with 95 or fewer possessions.

Lakers Record by Possessions
With Mike D’Antoni as Head Coach
100 or more 2-6
96-99 0-3
95 or fewer 8-2

Lakers Record This Season by Possessions
100 or more 4-6
96-99 1-5
95 or fewer 10-5

The Lakers have been more efficient offensively with a slower pace under D’Antoni. They’ve scored more than 100 points per 100 possessions in each of their 10 games under D’Antoni with a pace of 95 or lower.

Lakers Offensive Efficiency Under D’Antoni
By Possessions
100 or more 101.1
96-9 102.2
95 or fewer 112.5

Lakers Under Mike D’Antoni
By Possessions
96 or more 95 or fewer
W-L 2-9 8-2
Offensive Efficiency 101.4 112.5

This could be a problem going forward, as it appears the Lakers are playing at an even HIGHER pace now that Steve Nash is back. Since Nash returned, the Lakers are averaging 98.6 possessions per game, third-most during that span.

Lakers Possessions Per Game
This Season
Rank
Before D’Antoni 95.9 9th
With D’Antoni/Without Nash 96.8 5th
With D’Antoni & Nash 98.6 3rd

Are the Lakers an older team? Yes. But they’re not the oldest – the Knicks and Heat are older.

Oldest NBA Teams This Season

Players Weighted by Playing Time

Average Age

Knicks 31.2
Heat 30.5
Lakers 30.4
Celtics 30.3
Spurs 29.7
>>Source: Elias Sports Bureau

Credit to Ryan Feldman of ESPN for putting this together.
Image
User avatar
Ariza3

 
Posts: 4701
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 27 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.