Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Nikez on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:55 am

^^^^^

Another reason why I refuse to believe this is all dantonys fault. We were more successful playing up and down basketball under brown than dantony? The biggest reason for our flat record this year is the chemistry and adapting to change, the injuries to dwight nash and pau, and the complete lack of consistent effort on the DEFENSIVE END of the court. Not that we don't have offensive shortcomings, but those will come along quicker and is something much more manageable once we figure out our identity.

What is unacceptable is most of our team not giving a sh*t about defense.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby Nikez on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:56 am

That also gives me a little more confidence that MDA will be competent when we need to play a half court game.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby MC on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:15 am

Nikez - obviously I hope you are right but if MDA adjusts this year come playoff time it will the first time. I think I have a better chance of building my own home made rocket than land on Mars than MDA has of adjusting. He will make adjustments within his own philosophy but the problem is it's his philosophy itself that needs changing...... this guys is stubborn as a mule, Kerr tried to force him to change and we all know how that ended. MDA brought his poor basketball philosophy to NY and until they canned him they were a mess that scored a lot of points. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck you can bet it's not a goose.

As far as those stats...... The Lakers being better in lower paced games..... well dugh...... Big and old.... of course they will be better with lesser pace. That is why the MDA hire is so perplexing for this specific roster.

Older teams need to adjust their pace so they have their legs under them in the latter moments. This team being an offensive minded roster need to be particularly aware of that because it takes that much more energy and mental toughness to do it on the other end...... especially when you have a coach that doesn't even know there is another side of the court until after half where he locates that side but the other side disappears on him.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:30 am

We all have to remember there is a long history of our FO not exactly being expert on the coaches picks

We had two of the best of all time with Riles and Phil who brought us the last 9 titles ... the others in the last 4 decades ? Not much to brag about ...

The fact it is impossible to fill in big shoes like Pat or Phil ones made the others coaches choices look worse too ... no doubt about that
wcsoldier81

Postby MC on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:37 am

^

Oh no doubt..... hard to follow that much success for many coach.

Those 2 hits are also the problem for the Buss family as FO people...... they always came across to me as shoot from the hip kind of decision makers. Sometimes when those types have quick success they get an ego about it..... they take a lucky swing and build a philosophy of thought around it. They've been fortunate to have great GMs over that period of time which I'm sure helps temper some of that style the Buss family bring to the table. Since Jim took over it seems even the GM can't talk him out of things....... just look how about they went with the off-season with all the vet pick ups only to make another quick shoot from the hip decision to go up tempo....... that makes those pick ups minus Nash look really dumb, you don;t get older to run and go uptempo.... you get younger. That just shows they really are just shooting from the hip getting lucky here and there.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:35 pm

^Definitely agree Jim isn't logical about this franchise at times & makes decisions in the moment. Obviously, I'm not complaining about the roster we put together this summer, but yeah, with coach, style, personnel, age etc taken into account, you'd think we don't end up where we are.
Chillbongo

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:36 pm

I hate how we live & die by the 3 with this coach. We have the best center, scorer, & PnR pg in the game. But if three's aren't falling we're not winning. Or barely winning.
Chillbongo

Postby Helljumper on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Mike D'Antoni responded to comments made this week by Amar'e Stoudemire suggesting he had never been taught defense during his entire NBA career.

D'Antoni has been Stoudemire's primary coach between his time with the Suns and Knicks.

“I think it’s great,” D’Antoni said Thursday after the Los Angeles Lakers’ practice. “I think it’s great that he’s listening. He might have forgotten that Mike Woodson was also running the defense the last year I was there, so I don’t know if he just didn’t pick that year to listen. But Amar’e’s great. Sometimes you say things, but hopefully, that’s another step he can take forward and help his game. That would be great.”

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225388/DAntoni_Stoudemire_Forgot_Woodson_Ran_Defense_Last_Season
Helljumper

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:19 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter
Metta World Peace will start at SF tonight.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:33 pm

^^

jamison returning?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Punk-101 wrote:^^

jamison returning?

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
D'Antoni said Metta moving back starting and playing mostly SF is to "solidify our team a little bit." More opportunity for Hill, Jamison.

We just might see him tonight Punk.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:42 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:^^

jamison returning?

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
D'Antoni said Metta moving back starting and playing mostly SF is to "solidify our team a little bit." More opportunity for Hill, Jamison.

We just might see him tonight Punk.

DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:57 pm

Starting Metta, using Jamison, feeding Howard, and having Kobe defend Paul?

Damn. Seems like D'Antoni is waking the f*** up.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:14 pm

therealdeal wrote:Starting Metta, using Jamison, feeding Howard, and having Kobe defend Paul?

Damn. Seems like D'Antoni is waking the f*** up.
432J

Postby denimPortugal on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Thnak you master MDA! Another loss...another blowout! Nothing new! :bow:
denimPortugal

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:22 pm

denimPortugal wrote:Thnak you master MDA! Another loss...another blowout! Nothing new! :bow:

The game is in the 2nd quarter. D'Antoni has done all the right things so far early in this game.

You should be embarrassed for typing that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lqv2015 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:38 pm

Blame this on Jim for hiring this man. MDA is clearly the problem. Trade Pau if we're going to keep him. Aww heck, Pau's outta here.
LAKERS-4-LIFE
Lqv2015

Postby Weezy on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:43 pm

This guy has no presence our there, I don't even notice he's coaching, such a stupid hire, I'll never get over that we could have had Phil
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby BDG on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:43 pm

What was the point in hiring D'Antoni?

We're not running pick & roll
We're definitely not running and gunning, nor do we have the personnel to, nor do I want us to
Steve Nash isn't being maximized
He's never been a great defensive coach

Why didn't we just go with Phil again? He doesn't do any of these things either but he's an above average defensive coach.

If we just showed a consistent defensive effort with a PHILOSOPHY in place, we'd be atop the west right now. There's at least 10 games where we've lost and we should have won if we just played some D.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Pig Miller on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:44 pm

mda should look to hire phil as an assistant. phil needs to pay for jeannie's ring, so i bet he's looking for work
Pig Miller

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:46 pm

trying to capture that phoenix lightning in a bottle again was a pipedream. yet another wrong hire that will probably leave us forever wondering "what if" about bringing back phil for kobe's final years.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby King of Clutch on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:47 pm

Its so sad that our defense is the single most important issue for us, yet I could bet my whole life savings that d'antoni still does more offensive coaching in practice. I just don't think we'll ever be as good as we need to defensively because d'antoni just doesn't put as much emphasis on it as he does offense. And that trickles down to the players.
King of Clutch

Postby Maluco Beleza on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:47 pm

fkmikebrown wrote:trying to capture that phoenix lightning in a bottle again was a pipedream. yet another wrong hire that will probably leave us forever wondering "what if" about bringing back phil for kobe's final years.

wow that just mad me really sad lol
Maluco Beleza

Postby Forward Three on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:48 pm

I'm not entirely ready to throw Mike D'antoni under a bus, though it's clear he's as defensively inept as Mike Brown was offensively inept. Under normal circumstances, I think it's totally normal to expect an adjustment period with a new coach, a lot of new personnel on the team and in the staff...etc. It's just a damn tragedy of timing that this is what had to happen during Kobe and Nash's sunset years.
Forward Three

Postby phoenixrisingla on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:49 pm

Think Jimmy gets it yet?

:disagree:
phoenixrisingla

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard