Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby LooN3y on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:11 am

u cant blame the man, whos going to turn down a multimillion dollar deal from the lakers? regardless if your going to fail or not.

i bet he knew he wasnt qualified and that the roster didnt fit him, but i hardly doubt he'd possibly deny any coaching job in the nba (most teams atleast) and hes coaching the only way he can.

not defending him or anything, but i dont blame him for not taking the job for the sake of the organization and its fans.

i mean who the hell is going to deny a multimillion dollar contract from the lakers no matter how unqualified you are?

thats all on the jim buss.
LooN3y

Postby robKBMJ on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:42 am

If only you could trade coaches...
robKBMJ

Postby TaniBoyz on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:57 am

robKBMJ wrote:If only you could trade coaches...

yeah if only....
or maybe something like sending him to D-League
TaniBoyz

Postby MC on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:16 am

Bryant is only stating the blatantly obvious............

glad to see some people are FINALLY seeing the light when it comes this guy....

Like I said from day one.......

Everyone is misdiagnosing the cancer on this team............... it's the coaching hires and the guy(s) over-seeing that decision.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby 432J on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:43 am

Weezy wrote:the stupidest coaching hire of all time. Could have had Phil, took this clown. Hell I'd have been happy continuing to roll with Bernie until they did an actual search for a long term coach that was the truly best fit. But no, they hired the 2nd guy they talked to, didn't interview other good available guys like Shaw and Sloan, it's a joke and it angers me at this point because it shows poor judgement by the men in charge, jumping to quick decisions.

fixed
432J

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:39 am

on the radio this morning, the word 'mutiny' was thrown out...Chris Broussard was citing a source and that's what's going on in that locker room

the ultimate trainwreck continues
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:46 am

pound4pound1 wrote:on the radio this morning, the word 'mutiny' was thrown out...Chris Broussard was citing a source and that's what's going on in that locker room

Not surprising. It's going to get worse. We have Memphis, Utah, and OKC. We're going to be 17-27. You think it's bad now? Just wait...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:47 am

pound4pound1 wrote:on the radio this morning, the word 'mutiny' was thrown out...Chris Broussard was citing a source and that's what's going on in that locker room

I just mentioned in the "Effort" thread. I think the FO needs to address the D' Antoni situation right now. It isn't working. Sucks to fire another coach, but if you want to keep Howard here they better do something. Otherwise they are going down like a sinking ship.

No one will want to come here in 2014 if the FO shows it can't keep a star here, can't make a decent coaching hire, let their egos stay in the way of creating a player friendly environment.

They should admit their mistake, swallow the pay check, and let Bernie play interim coach the rest of the way. They have nothing to lose in that regard. They aren't going to make the playoffs under D' Antoni. At least under Bernie they stand a chance. He probably won't make it either, but it might go some ways toward appeasing Howard. Bernie will use the twin towers. He did when he was in charge.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:51 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:

Not surprising. It's going to get worse. We have Memphis, Utah, and OKC. We're going to be 17-27. You think it's bad now? Just wait...

it just get's worse and worse...as the losses pile up, it makes me cringe to listen to the radio or read articles...i can't believe how big of a disaster this became
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:54 am

Lakerjones wrote:

I just mentioned in the "Effort" thread. I think the FO needs to address the D' Antoni situation right now. It isn't working. Sucks to fire another coach, but if you want to keep Howard here they better do something. Otherwise they are going down like a sinking ship.

No one will want to come here in 2014 if the FO shows it can't keep a star here, can't make a decent coaching hire, let their egos stay in the way of creating a player friendly environment.

They should admit their mistake, swallow the pay check, and let Bernie play interim coach the rest of the way. They have nothing to lose in that regard. They aren't going to make the playoffs under D' Antoni. At least under Bernie they stand a chance. He probably won't make it either, but it might go some ways toward appeasing Howard. Bernie will use the twin towers. He did when he was in charge.

at first, i thought that was impossible...as much as i pray that would happen, i never thought it would ever happen

and i still dont think it will but if things get worse and the backlash from players, fans, media grows, there might be a slim chance that management considers that

honestly LJ, you listen to MDA talk after games and he has the sound of a coach that's given up and lost control...lost control in less than 40 games...something NEEDS to be done...they can't let this continue for the rest of the season
pound4pound1

Postby borri on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:57 am

No way the Buss's are swallowing their pride and firing Antoni. No way.

1. They'll be the laughing stock of the NBA (as if they aren't now anyways). How the hell do you fire TWO coaches in one NBA season.

That's never been done in any team sport in the history of sports.
borri

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:58 am

It comes down to two things right now; either you win games or the FO interferes and makes changes; that's it. And if they don't do one of the above, then Dwight is headed out of town...
Last edited by dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby phoenixrisingla on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:58 am

pound4pound1 wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:

at first, i thought that was impossible...as much as i pray that would happen, i never thought it would ever happen

and i still dont think it will but if things get worse and the backlash from players, fans, media grows, there might be a slim chance that management considers that

honestly LJ, you listen to MDA talk after games and he has the sound of a coach that's given up and lost control...lost control in less than 40 games...something NEEDS to be done...they can't let this continue for the rest of the season

His post game interviews may be my least favorite part of this entire season (and thats saying something!)

Dude is completely lost and clueless. No exaggeration, half of the interview is evading and deflecting. He doesnt know what's happening and he certainly doesnt know how to fix it.

This is what a fraud looks like.
phoenixrisingla

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:59 am

borri wrote:No way the Buss's are swallowing their pride and firing Antoni. No way.

1. They'll be the laughing stock of the NBA (as if they aren't now anyways). How the hell do you fire TWO coaches in one NBA season.

we will be pioneers then

the only team in sports history that fires two coaches in one season
pound4pound1

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:07 am

purp n gold wrote:I can't believe I convinced myself to believe that MDA would adjust his gameplan for our roster.

When our inferior 06 and 07 teams almost upset the Suns in the playoffs, we knew MDA's weakness is that he had no ability to adjust. One of the biggest reasons why we were in those games was because Phil outcoached MDA. And once Bynum became a decent player in 07-08 (even before the Gasol trade), MDA was getting mopped by Phil and Co. He wasn't winning against us again.

So what does Jim Buss do? Goes and hires him over Phil.

:bang:
LTLakerFan

Postby Lakeshow24 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:08 am

Maybe mutiny is a good thing and what they need. Nothing else seems to be working.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby 432J on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:12 am

as much as we all want dan tony fired, there's just no way it's going to happen

they're already on the hook for brown's remaining 10 mil and dan tony is guaranteed 12 mil. that's 22 million dollars just for 2 horrible coaches. good job jim buss, good job ruining one of the greatest franchises in team history. i didn't think it could be done, but you did it jimmy
432J

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:15 am

SmoothOperator wrote:- Pau is unhappy with how D'Antoni has used him, demanding him be a stretch 4 and now a bench role player

- Kobe essentially expressed frusteration with D'Antoni right after the Bulls loss with this quote:
"We need to go back to basics," Bryant said. "We need to put guys in positions to do what they do best. We need to strip it down. Steve is best in pick-and-roll. Pau is best in the post. I'm best from the free-throw line extended down. Let's go back to basics."

- Dwight Howard is unhappy with how he's being used in D'Antoni's offense, dropping hints about his displeasure in his role... thus prompting rumors of him walking once his contract is up.

Nobody is happy with coach and it seems like the the common denominator is everybody is screaming that we have to "play inside out" (ie. Pau in the post (per Kobe comments); Pau being vocal of wanting to be in the post; Dwight literally saying "We have to play inside out").

Why aren't we doing it?

It's because D'Antoni doesn't think straight up post play is effective.

:disagree:

I'm literally waiting for Kobe to walk into his office and go Mt. Bryant on him and not relent, circa his "would rather play on Pluto" period, about how things are working out and what it means (Kobe knows) to the chances of this franchise the rest of this season, and god help us going forward if Dan doesn't pull his head out of his bleep. Hopefully he does the honorable thing if he really will not abandon his precious system, realizes it is not a fit here and quits. Saving the Lakers some money in the process. Can dream can't we?

But what's he going to do, bench Kobe too?
LTLakerFan

Postby themasterphil on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:24 am

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-simers-dantoni-20130123,0,1488953.column?page=1...this is a great article and its 100% true.....MDA is not the coach for these Lakers PERIOD You just cant run with this team and you need to take the best from them and use their advantages on the court.....he is changing rotations all the time....Meeks is out, Meeks is in, Jamison is out, Jamison is in, Pau starts, Pau from the bench....that doesnt go that way, no chance....and when I watch these Lakers playing I dont see any fire od desire in them, Why???...MDA is the answer, he need to be their teacher, he need to motivate them and he is not capable to do anything....yes they have 14mil in MDA and Brown but he need to be fired right now....put Bernie out there, at least players will be happy with him
themasterphil

Postby charvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:53 am

Hey, if it works, we'll be looking back at this moment and saying "Best idea ever, even if it was embarassing".

pound4pound1 wrote:
borri wrote:No way the Buss's are swallowing their pride and firing Antoni. No way.

we will be pioneers then

the only team in sports history that fires two coaches in one season
charvin

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 am

Fire him ASAP. Bernie can be an interim coach, at least they'll have a workable and simple system. Give it to Dwight early and often, then Kobe and Nash with the finishing touches..
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:03 pm

I can't even begin to say what the two Buss' will do. I'm not saying they will fire D' Antoni. But I do think they should. You can fire however many coaches you want in a season if it isn't working out, especially if you are trying to convince a sought after free agent player to stay. If they don't care about that, ok, we'll see how this unravels, but I think it's going to get ugly.

As you mentioned, it's already reached fever pitch. They already look horrendous. They have to do something to salvage the season at this point for no other reason than trying to keep Dwight. If they get stubborn here he will walk. People who are thinking he won't are fooling themselves. This is a real problem now.

Who knows though? D' Antoni might turn this ship around in the next upcoming games. If he can win 2 of these next three games we could be having a different discussion. If he loses though the season is going to effectively be over.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby phoenixrisingla on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:06 pm

Look guys, I dislike MDA as much as the rest of you do. Probably more :mhihi: . I didnt like the way he coached the game before he ever came here and had my mind absolutely blown when I heard he was hired. But lets be realistic.

MDA is not getting fired this season.

He's not getting fired in the offseason.

Can any of you realistically say you see Jim taking the ego blow of admitting that he just made his third strike on coaching hires? Not to mention the financial situation of paying three coaches simultaneously. Its not happening.
phoenixrisingla

Postby LooN3y on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:31 pm

I doubt MDA will quit, it'll just be ultimately embarrassing for him, especially since it already happened in NY,

but if the storm gets worse i wont be surprised if he did.

as for firing i have no idea, i mean does jim buss not care that the team is struggling and we need to make some sort of coachign change?
LooN3y

Postby phoenixrisingla on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:39 pm

LooN3y wrote:I doubt MDA will quit, it'll just be ultimately embarrassing for him, especially since it already happened in NY,

but if the storm gets worse i wont be surprised if he did.

as for firing i have no idea, i mean does jim buss not care that the team is struggling and we need to make some sort of coachign change?

Quit you say? Didnt occur to me, but I guess he does have a trackrecord...

As for Jimmy making a change, did you not hear his interview a couple weeks back?

"The Lakers are fine. Just a couple injury worries. the fans are very positive and supportive and we're going to make a deep run in the playoffs." :man10:
phoenixrisingla

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard