Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby The Rock on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:58 am

https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/316953285909159936

Mike D'Antoni says he's not optimistic that Metta World Peace returns before end of regular season. Jodie Meeks starts tonight vs. Minny.

So he's keeping Pau in the lineup, when is he gonna learn, this year's Pau and Howard dont fit together this is not working, put him back on the bench in favor of Clark, this is becoming aggravating now

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby karacha on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:12 am

I agree. Clark should start and Pau should play the backup C. This is not difficult to figure out. We need youth, speed and hustle.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:14 am

Oh my God, D'Antoni now is not the freaking time to play games and try to prove a point, bench him already!!! We cant afford to lose tonight

https://twitter.com/Twolvesnow/statuses/316954136690180096

D'Antoni says Gasol will start tonight vs Wolves. Not sure how long Metta (knee) will be out.

Its almost like hes trying to get fired now, we know he doesn't like Pau starting so bench him then, whats the big freaking deal

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:16 am

Unfortunately he won't resign even if it's a failure. At this point his reputation is going to turn out the same even if he resigns. It would basically amount to him being fired.
Chillbongo

Postby davriver290 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:50 pm

MDA is not a bad coach... He's far from it. It's just his coaching style is suited towards younger, more athletic guys. I remember him with NY when he had Felton, Wilson Chandler, Danillo, etc...

I've defended this guy for quite sometime, but he's unable to motivate or put in check his team. Kobe is roaming around and doing what he wants, the team defense is just awful and I don't know, something is just wrong inside the team....
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby karacha on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:09 pm

Who knows why he's doing these experiments with Pau. Play him at the 5, off the bench.

Yeah, he would be a lot better with a younger team built around Dwight.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:44 pm

It's almost like he's TRYING to kill Pau mentally. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby VladRadtheTURRIBLE on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am

LTLakerFan wrote:
VladRadtheTURRIBLE wrote:Would have really been nice if we went and signed Chris Anderson for the 50k or whatever Miami did when he was still available- I'll tellu that much :bang:

He's too ugly with the freak ink to root for the guy even if he was a Laker. No one on the Lakers is permitted to have that much ink..... it's in their charter.

and robert sacre AKA 'Chicks dig it, Dudes Respect it' tat man. is any better? Screw the likability. If the man can block shots and hold down the paint his ugly tatted up body would make him an instant favorite.
http://youtu.be/kPwoJXqLwUY

11 champ;ipnsikp[ ringhs

"Definitely, Vlade's one of my favorite sons," he said. "I miss the erratic things he'd do that just would give you a chuckle on the bench. "Phil 'Lord of The Rings' Jackson
VladRadtheTURRIBLE

Postby WilliamHaven on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:29 pm

I think I'd rather have Mike Brown. Even with the injuries this year, we had a worse team last season, no camp, and was still the 3 seed. bottom line is results.

that being said.....i miss phil.
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby WilliamHaven on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Seriously though....how do the Lakers NOT fire this guy this offseason. Brown was fired and he achieved more than this tool. Injuries or not, this guy has FAILED to lead this team anywhere. Even if it's not his coaching, the players obviously do not respond to his leadership.
WilliamHaven

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:33 pm

WilliamHaven wrote:I think I'd rather have Mike Brown. Even with the injuries this year, we had a worse team last season, no camp, and was still the 3 seed. bottom line is results.

should have been phil. everyone in the world except jim buss knows it. i'm not saying we'd be a shoe-in for the finals with phil (let's face it, injuries are haunting us), but i know we'd be better than we are now.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby WilliamHaven on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:01 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:
WilliamHaven wrote:I think I'd rather have Mike Brown. Even with the injuries this year, we had a worse team last season, no camp, and was still the 3 seed. bottom line is results.

should have been phil. everyone in the world except jim buss knows it. i'm not saying we'd be a shoe-in for the finals with phil (let's face it, injuries are haunting us), but i know we'd be better than we are now.

yeah, i may be crazy but i am still praying for a phil comeback this summer.
WilliamHaven

Postby SpencerHarrison on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:11 pm

After tonight's bizarre Pau debacle, I'm officially on the "What in the #$*(@*! is D'Antoni thinking?!" bandwagon.

Cost the game.
SpencerHarrison

Postby charvin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:46 pm

I'd have to agree with you and The Rock about his comment on belief. I don't think I've ever gone through a season in the past 13 years where I've actually had some doubt as to whether or not the Lakers were going to win each upcoming game.

This season has been a jack-in-the-box. I don't know which games they will win, how well they will perform, and what the effort will be like. In the past, you had a sense that "Oh, this game should be a win moreorless".

It's scary how D'Antoni almost makes the Mike Brown firing look like a bad move.

WilliamHaven wrote:Seriously though....how do the Lakers NOT fire this guy this offseason. Brown was fired and he achieved more than this tool. Injuries or not, this guy has FAILED to lead this team anywhere. Even if it's not his coaching, the players obviously do not respond to his leadership.
charvin

Postby SpencerHarrison on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:58 pm

charvin wrote:I'd have to agree with you and The Rock about his comment on belief. I don't think I've ever gone through a season in the past 13 years where I've actually had some doubt as to whether or not the Lakers were going to win each upcoming game.

This season has been a jack-in-the-box. I don't know which games they will win, how well they will perform, and what the effort will be like. In the past, you had a sense that "Oh, this game should be a win moreorless".

It's scary how D'Antoni almost makes the Mike Brown firing look like a bad move.

WilliamHaven wrote:Seriously though....how do the Lakers NOT fire this guy this offseason. Brown was fired and he achieved more than this tool. Injuries or not, this guy has FAILED to lead this team anywhere. Even if it's not his coaching, the players obviously do not respond to his leadership.

At the time, there was a prevailing sense that Brown was stupid. Now the same thing seems to be happening with D'Antoni. I don't think that sentiment comes into play with coaches like Adelman, JVG, SVG, etc.

Brown REALLY didn't do himself any favors with how he ran his post game talks. The stat obsession made him seem oblivious to chemistry and rotations in favor of raw number crunching. Like he was playing 2K.

D'Antoni seems more competent on first impression, and handles himself better. His rotations have been bad, but he has also tried to restructure the identity of the team mid-season. Maybe he's not so bad, and these players are just having a coach killing season.

I also understand that he had a good working relationship with Nash. They were like partners in crime. That hasn't been a factor because Nash has ranged from invisible, to mediocre to liability.
SpencerHarrison

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:19 am

As I said in the Kobe thread, you cant play a guy with as much mileage as Kobe the same way you'd play other star players who he's older than and has 20-30 thousand plus more minutes logged.

His lame "I try to give him more rest but he wont let me" excuse is garbage too.

Im not saying we'd be a championship team with another coach, but the only hire that would have turned out as bad or worse than this is Dunleavy, who if I remember correctly was the next guy they would've interviewed for the job (mind-blowing).
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby borri on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:08 am

Another 2 years with this clown of a coach.......... :man6:
borri

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:54 am

borri wrote:Another 2 years with this clown of a coach.......... :man6:

And three more if the FO picks up the option!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:44 am

I'd rather have any of the assistants we currently have on the bench. Felt the same way with Brown.

Hey Jimbo, two wrongs don't make a right.

Unfortunately the injuries we've suffered this year are going to get MDA a pass for this season, even if we miss the playoffs.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby charvin on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:03 pm

Unfortunately so it seems, but I wouldn't give any coach a pass who misses the playoffs with the Lakers. Looking back at the history, rock bottom appeared to be the Smush Parker/Kwame Brown era in terms of strength of roster. You now have a team full of superstars and just because of injuries, we're supposed to believe that you should get a pass?

Injuries are a part of this game (whatever happened to this team this year is an absolute anomaly, I've never seen so many injuries let alone it afflicting all the starters) and it is the coach's job to keep it going.

As negative as it sounds, I don't think another year together will work out. I haven't been able to see very much games on TV, but there have been a lot of complaints regarding effort from this year's squad. If D'Antoni can't get nor see improvements in effort, then I would take that as a they're going through the motions kind of thing until the next coach is hired.

JSM wrote:I'd rather have any of the assistants we currently have on the bench. Felt the same way with Brown.

Hey Jimbo, two wrongs don't make a right.

Unfortunately the injuries we've suffered this year are going to get MDA a pass for this season, even if we miss the playoffs.
charvin

Postby kenzo on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 pm

We are/were a first round exit team even with Phil. Stop kidding yourself guys :bang:
kenzo

Postby TaniBoyz on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:29 pm

kenzo wrote:We are/were a first round exit team even with Phil. Stop kidding yourself guys :bang:

lol oh really? stop kidding yourself
TaniBoyz

Postby kenzo on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:13 pm

TaniBoyz wrote:
kenzo wrote:We are/were a first round exit team even with Phil. Stop kidding yourself guys :bang:

lol oh really? stop kidding yourself

Yeah, realy. With all the injuries and us being old as hell -> first round exit.
kenzo

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:46 pm

After getting to the Finals 3 straight years, we had injuries, a hobbled Kobe, a declining Spaniard and we still earned a top seed in the West, HCA and went to the 2nd round.

Kenzo, with all do respect, IMHO, you're way off base.

Also, I'm seeing some pretty oblivious things being said in the Dwight thread. Let's not forget what Phil did with guys that were defensive minded from Chicago all the way to his LA days. What he would have done with Dwight would have fallen in line with what he has done his entire coaching career.

Phil was a guy that was associated with the triangle and therefore was an offensive coach. Pair that with Kobe saying that they Lakers never practiced defense and fans just ran with it. Well look at the man's body of work...Phil's championship teams were always in the top tier of defensive teams. Even during the post-Shaq years, the Lakers were a middle of the pack defensive unit and never dipped into the 20th rankings as D'Antoni's teams have and continue to do. Also speaking of Kwame, Phil would bring in guys that were known to be defensive players...lets be honest, Kwame does not scream triangle player, yet Phil encouraged that we trade for him.

His assistants like Rambis developed tape and preached defense to our Lakers squad, but was Rambis in Chicago? The common denominator has been Phil and he was the guy that encouraged Shaq to gobble up defensive boards and focus on more than just offense. That first season when Phil came in, Shaq was an absolute monster. Dwight isn't Shaq, but with Phil at the helm, Dwight's big man game would have continued to evolve. With D'Antoni, our bigs are encouraged to shoot more....even if they're open for 3 (and seriously, a good team will give a big man that open 3 all day long).
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:56 pm

It's speculation, but IMO Vasashi's argument is stronger.
Coaching is extremely important in the NBA, and a lot more impactful in basketball than in many other sports.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard