Mike D'Antoni Discussion: "I was an idiot..." (155)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby 432J on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:46 pm

well that definitely came out of nowhere

could this be the start of something big? like the FO hiring guys with connections to phil so everything is in place when they fire MDA and hire him? hire rambis and get on the phone with cleamons and hamblin!

:man1:
432J

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:50 pm

If Kurt joins the staff, maybe he can recruit the free agents that played under him in Minnesota. :D

Al Jefferson
Corey Brewer
Martell Webster
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:50 pm

Oh okay I see.

Well in that case I see what you mean. Honestly though, that's why I think D'Antoni's days are numbered at this point. If Rambis IS added, and D'Antoni continues to struggle to gain any holding in this city, then the pressure would just be too much.

And I know, I know. "Shouldn't the pressure have been too much now??" Yes it should have. But with one of Phil's guys ALREADY on staff... with Phil basically a de facto adviser already... with the fan and player support for Phil... He'd come back into the team at some official capacity once D'Antoni shows his incompetence again.

And I'm not sure that it takes that long for this to happen. I just have a feeling.

Because it's not JUST this hire. It's the fact that we weren't willing to spend on D'Antoni's assistants when we supposedly have his back. It's the fact that we keep backing Dwight as "our future" even in the fact of the D'Antoni questions. Even Madsen is kind of a Phil pick.

Something's cooking I tell you!
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:38 pm

if Rambis joins id expect him to be the real coach of LA just doesnt have the title. at least until Dantoni is fired
Ariza3

Postby Weezy on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:50 pm

I don't know about that, Rambis failed as coach in '99 here, and he didn't do so hot in Minnesota, not sure he's proven to be any better than 'Antoni to be honest. I like him as an assistant, but not sure I do as head coach.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Weezy wrote:I don't know about that, Rambis failed as coach in '99 here, and he didn't do so hot in Minnesota, not sure he's proven to be any better than 'Antoni to be honest. I like him as an assistant, but not sure I do as head coach.

It's why he was Phil's defensive coordinator basically, which would be the same kind of job he would have under MDA.

Some members just won't accept it that PJ isn't going to be coaching this next year. Not in LA, Not anywhere.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:42 pm

Lakers wanna be a little more of a half court team. I wonder if Kurt is gonna have D'Antoni run some sets of the Triangle.
Kobe8Fan

Postby charvin on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:56 pm

Who has the final say in these coaching hires? Jimmy? We all know he wanted to sever ties with PJ, but if you're hiring a former player and a former assistant of PJax, maybe relenting and implying that he's made bad decisions?
charvin

Postby bigdog2013 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:16 pm

thats a good hire bring back rambis. He can help the big buys with their post moves. Rambis is a good assistant coach. I would love to see them hire James Worthy or Byron Scott
bigdog2013

Postby Plot on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:16 pm

You're not alone in your theory, therealdeal.
Although Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak has recently told D'Antoni that his job is secure, sources said, the fact that management hasn't allowed him to start hiring assistant coaches for a depleted staff has left many suspicious the Lakers are keeping the option of cutting ties with D'Antoni should it allow them to re-sign Howard.

Woj Yahoo
Plot

Postby revgen on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Rambis bashed D'Antoni quite a bit on the postgame show. He also had some pointed words for Jimmy Buss back in the day when Phil was still coaching. In other words, he's in the Phil/Jeanie/Linda camp. If he's hired, then it would be surprising, to say the least.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby 432J on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:01 pm

revgen wrote:Rambis bashed D'Antoni quite a bit on the postgame show. He also had some pointed words for Jimmy Buss back in the day when Phil was still coaching. In other words, he's in the Phil/Jeanie/Linda camp. If he's hired, then it would be surprising, to say the least.

it would be very surprising but if he is hired, i see it as a HUGE step in the right direction and a big hint at phil possibly returning
432J

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Johnny Davis To Be Added Onto Coaching Staff?

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 1m

Look for Johnny Davis to be considered for D'Antoni's staff with Lakers.

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/sta ... 3906349057
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:02 pm

Here's a profile on Johnny Davis for those who don't know who he is.

College - Dayton

While the 2011-12 season marks Johnny Davis’ first in the Raptors organization, overall it will be his 36th campaign in the NBA where he has been a player, assistant coach, front office executive and two-time head coach.

Last season was Davis’ fourth with the Memphis Grizzlies and his 19th in an NBA assistant coaching capacity. In addition to Memphis, Davis has been an assistant coach with Atlanta, the Los Angeles Clippers, Portland, New Jersey, Orlando, Minnesota and Indiana. In 2005-06, he served on Raptors head coach Dwane Casey’s staff with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Davis was the head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers in 1996-97 and the Orlando Magic for parts of two seasons (2003-05) compiling a 73-146 mark (.333). He was honoured as Eastern Conference Coach of the Month in November 2005 while with the Magic. He also served two games as the Grizzlies’ interim head coach.

Davis also has experience on the administrative side of the NBA having spent three years in the front office of the Atlanta Hawks. His duties were director of community affairs, assistant to the president, and president of the Atlanta Hawks Foundation. During his tenure as president of the Atlanta Hawks Foundation, Davis was instrumental in the fundraising of more than $500,000 which was distributed to Atlanta area homeless shelters.

The 22nd overall pick in the second round of the 1976 NBA Draft, Davis played with Portland, Indiana, Atlanta and Cleveland in his 10 seasons. He was a member of Portland’s 1977 NBA Championship team. He played in 750 regular season games, averaging 12.9 points and 4.5 assists. He posted a career high 18.3 points per game in the 1978-79 season as a member of the Indiana Pacers. In 43 postseason outings, Davis contributed an average of 10.3 points and 3.7 assists.

Davis attended the University of Dayton from 1973-76 and was inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame in 1993 as well as being voted onto the university’s All-Century Team. He earned two gold medals as a member of the 1975 Pan-American Team and the 1975 Intercontinental Cup Team.

As a heavily recruited high school All-American basketball player from Detroit, Davis was voted as one of the Top 10 players of all time in the Detroit Public School league.

Davis has a bachelor’s degree in community development from Georgia State University and a master’s degree in sports psychology from Union Institute and University.

An avid golfer, Davis has recorded three hole-in-ones.

Davis and his wife, Lezli, have two sons: Reginald and Austin.

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/johnny_davis/
Kobe8Fan

Postby bystander on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:16 pm

It's going to be a really long season to watch. If only we had some prospects to develop we could have something to care about.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby Weezy on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:37 pm

Lazenby with a another long rant

@lazenby: Kurt's wife Linda+Jeanie Buss have long been great friends, which opened the door for Phil+Kurt's relationship. Kurt became a triangle guy.

@lazenby: I would call Rambis the "Rodney King" factor for the Busses: Why can't we all just get along?

@lazenby: So you might see Kurt+D'Antoni+Phil putting their hoops minds together at some point. Question is, does this appeal in the least to D12?

@lazenby: It seems the Lakers might be trying to patch together an assurance for D12 about post play with input from Rambis/Phil. All very speculative

@lazenby: It would be hard for the Lakers to sell D12 on Rambis unless Phil is doing the talking. If Phil's doing the talking, they could spin it.

@lazenby: Rambis could well be a means for Phil to have coaching input. That might work for D'Antoni. No reason they can't work together.

@lazenby: The bottom line for the Lakers is that having Phil's input on a regular basis is gold. Kurt could play a role in that.

@lazenby: Having Kurt there would also make D'Antoni more comfortable on the bench trying to incorporate some of Phil's philosophy. All speculative

@lazenby: One reason a coach wouldn't want input from Phil would be a sense of insecurity. Never known D'Antoni to be insecure. He's a good coach

@lazenby: D'Antoni's a good hoops mind. Phil is a collaborator. Rambis has been a glue man. Why can't they do it? Well, you still need heirarchy

@lazenby: It would be almost like an Olympic staff. Question is, who gets to take the blame for the losses? I don't think they'd run a strict triangle

@lazenby: In Phil's 1st year as a coach, the Bulls weren't ready for the full triangle (neither was Phil) so they ran a 1 guard front/not a 2 gd front

@lazenby: I'd find it interesting to see Phil D'Antoni Rambis working together. Three mad scientists. Only wish they had Tex's a** to keep 'em in line

@lazenby: It would be stupid not to use D'Antoni's experience. Tex would point that out. Krause used to say if 2 guys think alike, fire one of 'em.

@lazenby: They could have a great exchange of ideas, but the big issue would be game management. D'Antoni's coached against the triangle. He knows it

@lazenby: Obviously the Lakers are searching right now. They better get their s*** together in a hurry. This is big boy stuff. Lots of money at stake.

@lazenby: Tex always insisted the triangle was a basic format in which coaches could incorporate all sorts of looks, i.e. pick n roll, which LA ran

@lazenby: Phil knows you could run lots of D'Antoni's looks out of the triangle. The triangle floor balance would allow the Lakers to get back on D

@lazenby: The triangle is not tough for the bigs to learn. Howard would get great looks+ you have one of the best triangle minds, Kobe, on the floor

@lazenby: Phil is dying to direct the attack for Pau+D12. But there's a ton of developmental work to be done to make the Lakers a good triangle team.

@lazenby: The triangle has long featured a limited break. But Phil/Tex won by controlling tempo. D'Antoni has always cast it to the wind.

@lazenby: LA is scattered right now. City Council might just pass a law saying Phil has to return to the Lakers so the population will settle down

@lazenby: The sense is the Lakers have to do something. The hand they're holding ain't gonna get it done. They can't sit on it, not if they want D12.

@lazenby: The Lakers have built their history by acquiring great centers, not by losing them due to a lack of focus and coherence.

@lazenby: The most important thing if Rambis should be added to the staff, it would mean that the Busses are a little more together in their thinking.

@lazenby: Houston ain't no LA either. Houston is a cow town. D12 don't want no part of a cow town. He might as well be in Lubbock or Waco. He wants LA

@lazenby: I love all those Texas cities. Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas. I think Dallas is in Texas. Anyway, it's a joke. I wrote it like a joke

@lazenby: How could I know what DHo is going to do if even DHo himself doesn't know?

@lazenby: It's a sadly comical state the Lakers are in right now. There's Phil writing down notes so Jeanie can pass 'em to Jim. It's like sixth grade

I don't know where Lazenby gets his stuff, but he says some interesting things. Like if we're stuck with 'Antoni, yeah, why can't they all work together? Don't know where gets the "Dwight don't want no part of a cow town" stuff, guess it was a joke. Meanwhile you have Woj posting a tweet with a link to an article on Houston being the frontrunner.

@WojYahooNBA: Y! Sources: Anchored as frontrunners, the Rockets will make the first free agency pitch to Dwight Howard. http://t.co/YVG1Uwh74s
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:54 pm

Now Lazenby is just being mean :man10: This is probably off topic but too funny not to post, I think he's had a few drinks

@lazenby: When they put the Jim Buss statue out in front of Staples in 2031, that'll be the one where all the pigeons poop.

@lazenby: Jeanie will def get a statue. It'll be modeled after the photo with the basketball over her tities. Greatest shot in the history of hoops.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:56 pm

Weezy wrote:Now Lazenby is just being mean :man10: This is probably off topic but too funny not to post, I think he's had a few drinks

@lazenby: When they put the Jim Buss statue out in front of Staples in 2031, that'll be the one where all the pigeons poop.

@lazenby: Jeanie will def get a statue. It'll be modeled after the photo with the basketball over her tities. Greatest shot in the history of hoops.

:man10: :man10: :man10:
432J

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:22 pm

wat
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Gentry w/ Clipps, Nate w/ Pacers

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:07 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
Woj: Kurt Rambis has emerged as a strong candidate to join Mike D'Antoni's coaching staff with the Lakers, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Definitely didn't see that one coming

Nice.. I was calling for Rambis over Nate when Nate was the only guy we were rumored to be going after. Bringing in a defensive assistant that's a Phil guy seems like a small move but it could be enough to keep Dwight here. Phil has stated that if the Lakers needed a coach to take over for D'antoni, he has guys that work for him that could take that job.. If Dwight sees we're leaving the door open for Phil to take the reigns overseeing his assistants if D'antoni can't get it done, that might just be enough.

Just catching up....have been gone all day so have not read any replies by others beyond this point. Would guess some are surprised as well and wondering if this is Dan being told to effing do it and don't ask questions or be gone now .....M EFFER. :man10: Probably not quite like that but somehow I don't see Dan thinking oh hell yeah let me hire Kurt Rambis for defense, knowing that he is one of Phil's guys and that Jeanie and Kurt's wife are really tight gal friends. Hope it happens. For defense' sake at the very least.
LTLakerFan

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:02 am

Weezy wrote:Now Lazenby is just being mean :man10: This is probably off topic but too funny not to post, I think he's had a few drinks

:man10:
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:04 am

Plot wrote:You're not alone in your theory, therealdeal.
Although Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak has recently told D'Antoni that his job is secure, sources said, the fact that management hasn't allowed him to start hiring assistant coaches for a depleted staff has left many suspicious the Lakers are keeping the option of cutting ties with D'Antoni should it allow them to re-sign Howard.

Woj Yahoo

It's just too suspicious. I have a feeling that they're absolutely willing to dump D'Antoni if it turns out that he's a deal breaker.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Phil XI on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:29 am

Re Lazenby
Twitter and scotch don't mix
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Phil XI on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:33 am

therealdeal wrote:
Plot wrote:You're not alone in your theory, therealdeal.

Woj Yahoo

It's just too suspicious. I have a feeling that they're absolutely willing to dump D'Antoni if it turns out that he's a deal breaker.

Agree. Rambis and Johnny Davis. They're setting it up.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:40 am

Phil XI wrote:Re Lazenby
Twitter and scotch don't mix

:man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion