Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:14 am

^^ I've got to say I was pretty mystified that they would bring MDA in as part of the team to talk Dwight into staying here. That means that the report that came in yesterday morning that they would be fine letting go of MDA if Dwight insisted was nonsense.

So they have kept to their statement all along that D' Antoni would remain coach no matter what. I hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the rear if it's part of the reason Dwight chooses to go elsewhere.

I haven't understood the hiring of MDA to this day and I still don't understand the refusal to fire him after he lost the players and we went away from all of his strengths just to get wins. To stand behind this guy and dare Dwight to walk essentially after he's made it clear that he doesn't like the guy or his system is pretty foolhardy, IMO. That is, if they actually want Dwight to stay. To me it's a mixed message. Or perhaps it is a clear message that we won't change the coach for the players no matter what. Which is kind of a dumb message in the sense that D' Antoni is a poor fit for the personnel. It's like a square peg in a round hole. D' Antoni is not a proven winner - I don't understand putting all your eggs in that basket.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:08 pm

If the Lakers were to can D'Antoni, at this point, which coach would be the best candidate going forward, and for how many years should his contract be? Most want D'Antoni fired, but it seems like all the better coaches have been scooped up already and we'd only be left with such coaches as Hollins and Karl to consider.
charvin

Postby 432J on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:38 pm

charvin wrote:If the Lakers were to can D'Antoni, at this point, which coach would be the best candidate going forward, and for how many years should his contract be? Most want D'Antoni fired, but it seems like all the better coaches have been scooped up already and we'd only be left with such coaches as Hollins and Karl to consider.

what a silly question

432J

Postby charvin on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:03 pm

My obvious answer would also have been to pick Phil, but I'm rolling with his "no intentions to coach again". Yeah, it may mean he still might be, but you play the contingencies and assume that he's not going to coach again, at all.
charvin

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:13 pm

Id take Hollins and Karl over Pringles personally, and I dont even think that highly of either of them.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:56 pm

I know that losing the Clown has hurt the Lakers management alot more than it's hurt me, so you have to ask the question.

How much did hiring (and then refusing to fire) this guy hurt the Lakers chances of keeping the Clown?
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby BigDan24 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:I know that losing the Clown has hurt the Lakers management alot more than it's hurt me, so you have to ask the question.

How much did hiring (and then refusing to fire) this guy hurt the Lakers chances of keeping the Clown?

A lot.

Still can't believe they choose a coach (and his aging darling Nash) over a player like Howard...
BigDan24

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:04 pm

I'd honestly think it was a huge factor, if the report of Howard not even looking Lakers members in the eye at the meeting. Now that Howard is gone though, there's no point in firing 'Antoni, you just keep him on for this full season, don't waste money on a good coach for a crap roster. Make 'Antoni have to coach this crap roster and suffer.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:11 pm

thanks MDA!
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby themasterphil on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:16 pm

I will enjoy watching this idiot coaching crap team next year..... :man1:
themasterphil

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Yep. All I look at is CP3. He didn't like VDN, and VDN was fired, a coach he did like was acquired, and he quickly and quietly returned to the Clippers.

The Lakers on the other hand, made a poor hire, and then inexplicably stood by his side and fiercely defended him even when he failed miserably and literally everyone else felt like he shouldve been fired.

Its easy for them to say they weren't gonna fire him and risk Dwight leaving anyways, but in this case firing him would have actually helped your case to keep the Clown. Besides, firing Dantoni and then seeing Dwight still leave isn't exactly a crippling blow to the franchise since he sucks.

Like I said though, I know this hurts them much, much more than it hurt me, but atleast they stood by their man tho. Good for them.

Tobias Funke

Postby JLaker17 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Sucks this guy is still here. :bang:
JLaker17

Postby charvin on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:45 pm

There is no excuse and no reason why this guy should still be here. If he's here for next year, give the indication by hiring assistant coaches already; if he's going to be let go, DO IT! Why drag this on?
charvin

Postby ThizGuy83 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:19 pm

this guy still doesnt have a crew of assistants... other than his brother... but shouldnt he have his assistants already lined up or is there something going on like a chance he might be let go?
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby Balance&Options24 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:46 pm

Howard left, I hope this guy is next.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby The Original 81 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:47 pm

Another brilliant hire by Jim Buss. Can't believe this guy is still our coach...

SAS is destroying Jimmy on BSPN right now. Dark days ahead...
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:52 pm

Again though, now that Howard left, there is no point to firing this guy. Next season is a lost season before it starts, if you go get an expensive, big name coach to coach a crap roster, it's not going to matter. So we stick the season out with him, and we move on after that, make him suffer with this roster for a year, maybe he'll quit.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:09 pm

You're right, may as well. If Jimbo wants to cut costs and save money, then stick with D'Antoni and you don't have to pay for firing him as well as paying for another coach.

Weezy wrote:Again though, now that Howard left, there is no point to firing this guy. Next season is a lost season before it starts, if you go get an expensive, big name coach to coach a crap roster, it's not going to matter. So we stick the season out with him, and we move on after that, make him suffer with this roster for a year, maybe he'll quit.
charvin

Postby DarthRekal on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:14 pm

so is Rambis coming?
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:24 pm

DarthRekal wrote:so is Rambis coming?

yea i was wondering what happened with that...
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:32 pm

Hell, I wouldn't if I were him, let 'Antoni and his brother suffer with this mess.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Imagine if him and his brother were the only coaches :man10: Boy, that'd be a sad day.
charvin

Postby XXIV on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:43 pm

charvin wrote:Imagine if him and his brother were the only coaches :man10: Boy, that'd be a sad day.

They are right now. :hurl:
XXIV

Postby DarthRekal on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:44 pm

MADSEN! :jam2:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Helljumper on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:44 pm

XXIV wrote:
charvin wrote:Imagine if him and his brother were the only coaches :man10: Boy, that'd be a sad day.

They are right now. :hurl:

Mark Madsen
Helljumper

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard