Mike D'Antoni Discussion: "I was an idiot..." (155)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:46 am

Doc Brown wrote:
LAS VEGAS -- Mike D'Antoni is sitting baseline with Los Angeles Lakers Summer League coach Dan D'Antoni on one side and Kurt Rambis on the other. He's at the Thomas & Mack Center before the first game tips off, doing "a little scouting." Once the crowd fills out, father and son attendees, families wearing Los Angeles Clippers attire and NBA fans who are at the arena soaking in Summer League action crowd him with their sharpies and NBA paraphernalia.

What to make of this?

Well he was supposed to be hiring Rambis, right? They never made a formal announcement or anything but maybe they're still talking about it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Well, something better come up soon. In the current state of things, it's sad that you only have 2 coaches (3 if you count Mark) and both are related. Yikes.

I don't know what they are waiting for, or if they're just taking their sweet time, but the right assistants have to be selected and fast.

therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
LAS VEGAS -- Mike D'Antoni is sitting baseline with Los Angeles Lakers Summer League coach Dan D'Antoni on one side and Kurt Rambis on the other. He's at the Thomas & Mack Center before the first game tips off, doing "a little scouting." Once the crowd fills out, father and son attendees, families wearing Los Angeles Clippers attire and NBA fans who are at the arena soaking in Summer League action crowd him with their sharpies and NBA paraphernalia.

What to make of this?

Well he was supposed to be hiring Rambis, right? They never made a formal announcement or anything but maybe they're still talking about it.
charvin

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:12 pm

I don't know why Rambis was there, but they interviewed him during the game as an "ESPN analyst", not assistant coach. Not yet anyway. Also, our summer league team's defense looks better designed than our real team, maybe Dan D'antoni actually deserves the D in his last name. Or some nameless assistant, whoever is coaching it.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:47 pm

http://www.foxsportswest.com/nba/los-an ... edID=11351

FSW: Even so, it's not like all your injury questions have been answered. Kobe Bryant is still recovering, and so are Pau Gasol and Steve Nash, to some extent. Do you still feel optimistic about the team's health come training camp?

MD: For sure. Steve, he was battling all year, and Pau, too. To start off, those two guys will be healthy, and then we'll see where Kobe is. It'll be much easier to get (Nash and Gasol) on board and then keep them healthy instead of (getting) behind, starting to play guys too many minutes. It just all started spiraling downward. The players did a good job just hanging in there and getting to the playoffs and doing the best they could. I'm pretty happy the way the year ended, except the playoffs.

FSW: Will you be keeping a closer eye on minutes limits this year?

MD: We have a much deeper team this year. I think we just signed Wesley Johnson. I think I can talk about that. That makes us about 10, 11, 12 guys deep that will play, and that will keep minutes from the older guys.
Helljumper

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:53 pm

At the very least I love hearing that from 'Antoni, that things got out of control last season with minutes and guys played too many, and this season he plans to play 10 deep at least. Whether or not it happens, we'll see, but I like that he's admitted he knows it was an issue last season publicly, finally.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:56 pm

I think he'll go 10 deep honestly. He doesn't have a reason not to anymore unless we get banged up...

Nash/Blake
Bryant/Meeks
Young/Johnson
Hill/... Kelly?
Gasol/Kaman

Besides PF we're actually a pretty deep team now. I didn't even include Farmar on there and he's about as most any team's 2nd/3rd string guards.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Yeah, I liked what he said. He's right, though; we were not a deep team last year. In addition, injuries entered into that part of the equation, and we were screwed. We have more guys that can play minutes and manage Nash's Gasol's and Kobe's.

I would have liked to see what he said about Rambis being on board, though. We need Rambis in an official capacity as an assistant defensive coordinator badly. We need somebody to hold MDA and these players accountable on playing defense every possession.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:34 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

What to make of this?

Hopefully it means that he's going to be on board. We really need a nice defensive coordinator on the sidelines that actually knows what he is doing on that end. We might not have the athletes at every position to play lockdown defense, but we have enough smarts on the team to play positional defense. We need a guy like Rambis to lay the foundation so that all the players know where they should be.

The last few seasons it seems the defense hasn't had any direction/not everyone buying in. We have the tools to be a good positional defensive team, other than that. Yikes.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:39 pm

That makes us about 10, 11, 12 guys deep that will play, and that will keep minutes from the older guys.

lets hope he plays that many. we could use the youth playing more minutes and vets playing less and saving them for the playoffs.
Ariza3

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:54 pm

Nash (28) / Farmar (20)
Kobe (33) / Blake or Meeks (15)
Young (24) / Johnson (24)
Hill (24) / Mystery PF (14) / Pau (10)
Pau(23) / Kaman (25)

- I like Farmar as the backup PG because he can actually create and get to the hoop. I'd rather the ball be in his hands, instead of Blake's.

- Blake and Meeks can fight it out for the backup 2. MDA likes Blake and at this stage in his career, he's more of a spot up shooter than an actual PG. Let him shoot like he did at the end of the season and he can be serviceable.

- MDA is probably going with the small ball lineup at the 1 and 2, which makes the Farmar/Blake combo more likely. I don't like it, but it's MDA's plan more than likely.

- We actually have two SF's and an actual rotation there. Crazy.

- PF is still up in the air. Depending on who we get the minutes can be adjusted.

- C is actually pretty solid. My only concern is we need to pick up another defensive PF to counteract Pau/Kaman on the defensive end.

- We actually have a pretty solid roster when broken down. Health is still the concern, but if healthy there is no reason we shouldn't go 10 deep.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:52 pm

Helljumper wrote:http://www.foxsportswest.com/nba/los-an ... edID=11351

FSW: Even so, it's not like all your injury questions have been answered. Kobe Bryant is still recovering, and so are Pau Gasol and Steve Nash, to some extent. Do you still feel optimistic about the team's health come training camp?

MD: For sure. Steve, he was battling all year, and Pau, too. To start off, those two guys will be healthy, and then we'll see where Kobe is. It'll be much easier to get (Nash and Gasol) on board and then keep them healthy instead of (getting) behind, starting to play guys too many minutes. It just all started spiraling downward. The players did a good job just hanging in there and getting to the playoffs and doing the best they could. I'm pretty happy the way the year ended, except the playoffs.

FSW: Will you be keeping a closer eye on minutes limits this year?

MD: We have a much deeper team this year. I think we just signed Wesley Johnson. I think I can talk about that. That makes us about 10, 11, 12 guys deep that will play, and that will keep minutes from the older guys.

It's great to see D'antoni saying that he'll go with a deeper rotation.. I already believed he would now that we're getting players that fit his style.. I really think he's going to do a great job with this group of players.. We still have a few holes to fill but we've done much better than I expected us to already. I was expecting maybe Morrow, Raja Bell, & a big that hits 3's. Would still like to get a big that can hit 3's if it's Lamar or Byron Mullens.
lakersin4

Postby last stand on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:08 pm

This is the type of team historically that d'antoni succeeds with

When he's the favorite injuries hit his teams, they underperform

When his teams are ignored, down and out they seem to surprise
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby kblo247 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:45 am

Rambis is the defensive coach it was announced during SL by Joel Myers the Lakers had appointed him to the position
kblo247

Postby XXIV on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:34 am

kblo247 wrote:Rambis is the defensive coach it was announced during SL by Joel Myers the Lakers had appointed him to the position

If true I'm very glad to have him on board. :jam2:
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:18 am

Doc Brown wrote:Nash (28) / Farmar (20)
Pau(23) / Kaman (25)

- I like Farmar as the backup PG because he can actually create and get to the hoop. I'd rather the ball be in his hands, instead of Blake's.

- Blake and Meeks can fight it out for the backup 2. MDA likes Blake and at this stage in his career, he's more of a spot up shooter than an actual PG. Let him shoot like he did at the end of the season and he can be serviceable.

- MDA is probably going with the small ball lineup at the 1 and 2, which makes the Farmar/Blake combo more likely. I don't like it, but it's MDA's plan more than likely.

- PF is still up in the air. Depending on who we get the minutes can be adjusted.

- C is actually pretty solid. My only concern is we need to pick up another defensive PF to counteract Pau/Kaman on the defensive end.

- We actually have a pretty solid roster when broken down. Health is still the concern, but if healthy there is no reason we shouldn't go 10 deep.

This is pretty much what I'm seeing too. Maybe if Lamar doesn't want to be here, we can get Kenyon or something else like that? I don't know, but I think you nailed down the rotation here.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby FeelGoodUnInc on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:20 am

kblo247 wrote:Rambis is the defensive coach it was announced during SL by Joel Myers the Lakers had appointed him to the position

Yess, who knew I'd be so excited over an assistant coach hire. If this is true, how come there's no news of this, as this is a big deal.
FeelGoodUnInc

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:22 am

XXIV wrote:

If true I'm very glad to have him on board. :jam2:

I'll wait until an official announcement, but I'm happy about this if it's true.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:01 am

therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Nash (28) / Farmar (20)
Pau(23) / Kaman (25)

This is pretty much what I'm seeing too. Maybe if Lamar doesn't want to be here, we can get Kenyon or something else like that? I don't know, but I think you nailed down the rotation here.

Someone like Jason Maxiell would do well off the bench with that squad. Kaman isn't a shot blocker, but he is a 7 footer. Jason can help clean up the boards as Hill does.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:18 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:Someone like Jason Maxiell would do well off the bench with that squad. Kaman isn't a shot blocker, but he is a 7 footer. Jason can help clean up the boards as Hill does.

He was one of the guys that I wanted that I thought we couldn't get to this summer. As the FA pool starts drying here, I'm thinking we might be able to get to him, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

He certainly seems like he's out the door in Detroit though. They've got Drummond, Monroe, and now Smith. It would seem there's not much there for him. Maybe he comes to LA for some playing time? Who knows.

He averaged 7/6 in 25 minutes with 1.3 blocks. Kind of a poor man's Elton Brand. He takes a lot of shots from mid range (almost the same as shots in the paint) but doesn't hit them at a great percentage. He'd still give this team some nice toughness and he's not an awful athlete just not great.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:26 pm

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 34m
Source: Kurt Rambis nearing deal to join Lakers http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... bis-source
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:35 pm

:jam2:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Good to hear Rambis is officially coming back, I like Rambis and I like having former Lakers on staff on general.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Lakers should also hire Ron Adams instead of Johnny Davis.
Kobe8Fan

Postby purp n gold on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:03 pm

JSM wrote:
Source: Kurt Rambis nearing deal to join Lakers http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... bis-source …

Phil :jam2:
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:17 am

JSM wrote:
Source: Kurt Rambis nearing deal to join Lakers http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... bis-source …

Glad to hear it!
Lakerjones

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion