Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:04 pm

are we giving mike his d back?
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby GoldHammish on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:06 pm

fkmikebrown wrote:are we giving mike his d back?

Second half D turned out pretty good, only allowed 33 points.
GoldHammish

Postby gill on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Clamped down on D the last few possessions. Who knew a Mike D'Antoni team can actually play defense?
gill

Postby Finwë on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:13 pm

@forumbluegold: Nets score 16 then 17 points in the 3rd and 4th quarters.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Weezy on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:19 pm

'Antoni already has the LA media loving him, handled that press conference well. Of course it was a win, so that made it easier I'm sure.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:24 pm

Weezy wrote:'Antoni already has the LA media loving him, handled that press conference well. Of course it was a win, so that made it easier I'm sure.

Yeah, as long as he wins they cant tear him down.

*Insert Al Davis quote here*
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Weezy wrote:'Antoni already has the LA media loving him, handled that press conference well. Of course it was a win, so that made it easier I'm sure.

Dweezy. he took mike's D and isn't giving it back. :man10:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:37 pm

fkmikebrown wrote:

Dweezy. he took mike's D and isn't giving it back. :man10:

I'm not giving him that "D" until I see a larger sample size. Tonight was a good sign in the 2nd half though, we didn't play like the 'Antoni Suns at all, we played more like the 2010 Lakers that had to find ways to win ugly playoff games.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:40 pm

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Original 81 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:04 am

I missed tonight's game, how were MDA's rotations? Any different than under Bernie?
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:06 am

Eric Pincus@EricPincus1 minute ago

D'Antoni said he's going to wear out his starters out til the Steves get back

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2Cq37YH3L]
wcsoldier81

Postby Weezy on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:08 am

The Original 81 wrote:I missed tonight's game, how were MDA's rotations? Any different than under Bernie?

Not really as far as I remember, only difference was Jamison only got 9 minutes. Hill played the same, 17 minutes, second unit if I remember right was Duhon, Meeks, Jamison, Hill and either Dwight or Pau. Still 39 minutes for Kobe, Pau and Metta, 41 for Dwight, too much starters, bench gave us next to nothing.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:11 am

I liked Bernie ones other MDA's ... not a fan at all of the 12 minutes quarters for Ko and Pau ... just one game though
wcsoldier81

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:17 am

Great start to Mike's career as the Lakers head coach. :jam2:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Magic Skywalker on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:25 am

39 minutes on a game that was always close is acceptable I believe. Kobe played 35 last game, so it's not that terrible.

Also, it's not like Kobe is playing last year's offense. Kobe doesn't force that much this year, so he gets less tired.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby ChumsGum on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:29 am

It's been a couple years since I said this but the laker coach tonight outcoached the opposing teams coach. Avery has a lot of talent on that team but down the stretch it was Kobe guarding Dwill and Howard guarding Lopez. Those changes, IMO, won us the game. Lopez was doing pretty well against Gasol earlier on but Howard ended that, and man, seeing Kobe guard Dwill was a thing of beauty.

I can't wait to see Nash back but seeing Kobe run point guard makes me wonder what D'antoni could do with Kobe and Gasol without Nash. The opposing teams defense was put under so much pressure from both Kobe and Gasol excellent passing skills. You just had this feeling that a lob to Dwight or a 3 by metta was going to happen with every possession.
ChumsGum

Postby lotus on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:11 am

Magic Skywalker wrote:39 minutes on a game that was always close is acceptable I believe. Kobe played 35 last game, so it's not that terrible.

Also, it's not like Kobe is playing last year's offense. Kobe doesn't force that much this year, so he gets less tired.

He looked pretty tired to me. They will burn out by the end.of the season like last year if they keep logging these minutes this early in the season. Surely D'Antoni knows this.

They need another bench scorer who can shoot.
lotus

Postby MC on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:23 am

Well.... these rotations are temporary considering they are missing valuable minutes from Nash and a few from Blake.

I liked the ball movement at times and the ball action off the P&R.... the most impressive thing though over the last couple of games is the reduction in TOs...... that will be the key to the success of this team. The less that are created and the more this team forces their opponent to play against their set defense the more difficult they will become to beat. I hope the FT wows won't be that low, this game was closer than it could have been without shooting 33% from the FT line for most of the game.

Once Nash returns it should get even smoother and easier for Bryant, he is playing at an amazing level with the additional spacing the new starting 5 have created. He's allowing the game to come to him more and forcing it less which is translating well. I imagine Bryant's minutes will come down some with Nash back, he was visibly gassed by the end of this game.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby karacha on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:37 am

Yeah, Kobe is great but he has to do too much now. Once Nash comes back evrything will be easier. We'll get some bench minutes and scoring from Morris and Duhon, but having a player who can score reliably off the bench would be nice.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:16 am

10 threes for Ron, and Pringles expects him to make at least 4?

That might be asking a bit much. Maybe if Ron has that confidence...this might work.

But it gives me some pause.
Last edited by kray28 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
kray28

Postby purp n gold on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:22 am

He's-running-our-starters-into-the-ground Threat Level: Yellow
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby kray28 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:45 am

purp n gold wrote:He's-running-our-starters-into-the-ground Threat Level: Yellow

With our lack of depth and backcourt injuries...I don't think there's a choice. Hopefully as the weeks go by, we get back the Steves, and Pringles coaches up guys like Meeks, finds hidden talent on the roster, or we have to actually bring in some shooters.
kray28

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:53 am

Same story every single season ... Kobe minutes are supposed to be managed but it's not happening ... the way this team depends on a player in his 17th season , as great as he is , is kind of pathetic ..
wcsoldier81

Postby 432J on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:00 am

the minutes thing was my biggest concern with dan tony and it looks like he's doing just that with the starters

these guys won't have any legs to stand on come april because they'll be so gassed. especially kobe
432J

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:13 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Same story every single season ... Kobe minutes are supposed to be managed but it's not happening ... the way this team depends on a player in his 17th season , as great as he is , is kind of pathetic ..

I think Pringles will eventually get the minutes lowered, once Nash returns he'll have another guy that can effectively (obviously) run the ship when Kobe is out offensively. Right now judging from the chunks of games Ive been able to watch, IMO only Duhon really comes close to doing a decent job of it outside of those two.

Pringles isnt a fool, he knows eventually he'll have to keep Kobe's (and others) PT in check. Even with Nash being the expert on MDA's offensive schemes, Kobe and Dwight are still by far the most important players on the team.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard