Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby lotus on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:15 pm

kray28 wrote:I am just amazed as to how you can hire a guy based on one phone interview.

Is this the Twilight Zone? Who is actually running the flagship franchise of the NBA?

On ESPN this morning I heard them say that jimmy didn't vet Mike Brown and that he rushed into hiring him because Golden State was about to hire him.

Assuming that is true, then jimmy's hiring process with Brown would be consistent with a one phone call interview.

I'm not going to dump on jimmy, though I want to, but I will say that ever since he was announced as having power over the Lakers back in, I believe, 2003 and starting with the Rudy T. hire, mention of his name in Laker decisions usually is accompanied by a feeling of discomfort and uncertainty.
lotus

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby RushDelivery on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:18 pm

Weezy wrote:I'm not gonna sit back and pretend like I like this hire because I have to since I must support the franchise at all times. I don't like 'Antoni, hated him on the Suns, mocked him on the Knicks, he has no composure, he doesn't give a crap about defense, he's not a man that will lead us to a championship. I was looking forward to a leader of men with 11 rings coming in, we end up with this.

I agree. I just can't support this hire, and while I would love to be proven wrong, I'm fairly confident the Lakers won't be winning a title under D'Antoni.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby Ice Laker on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:24 pm

:mad1:
Ice Laker

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:29 pm

My stance on D'Antoni won't change until the PS. I think he's a good coach that can get us a lot of wins in the RS, however in the PS I'm not sold that he will be able to make the proper adjustments to win us games. We'll see

Edit: Also he BETTER make good use our bench players regardless of their talent level. If he tries to play the starters a ridiculous amount of minutes we will be done for
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Azndude2190 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:32 pm

RushDelivery wrote:I agree. I just can't support this hire, and while I would love to be proven wrong, I'm fairly confident the Lakers won't be winning a title under D'Antoni.

Would we be winning a title under Phil either?

We would have to implement the triangle offense, when really Kobe and Pau (maybe MWP) are the only ones well versed in it. Plus, no matter who was our coach our defense is (and has been) the problem. Also, outside of Jordan Hill, we really have no reliable bench player.
Last edited by Azndude2190 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby Finwë on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:32 pm

D’Antoni is a very smart guy. He will adapt his offense to fit the personnel here; Phoenix remained an elite offensive team despite some pretty major roster shakeups, including the loss of Joe Johnson to free agency; the absence of Amar’e Stoudemire for essentially the entire 2005-06 season; and the presence of a paint-clogging Shaquille O’Neal in the last part of the 2007-08 season, when the Suns ranked no. 2 overall in points per possession and scored just as efficiently with O’Neal on the court as off.

From: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/42551/mike-dantoni-may-be-second-best-but-he-can-lead-the-lakers

That's something I hope we see: adaptation.
Everyone's assumptions about D'Antoni are obviously based on his past coaching experiences. So most think we'll look to "run 'n' gun", or we'll score a bunch of points but also concede a bunch of points, etc. I'm hopeful that D'Antoni will actually look to fit his system to the personnel he has here, taking advantage of their strenghts and hiding their weaknesses. He may implement a lot more post up sequences than in his previous teams, he may focus on D a bit more, me may even alter his rotation pattern and play more guys (to give more rest to our not so young players).
Like I said, we need to at least give the man some time and see what's he's got and how he persuaded the FO to sign him.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:39 pm

TIME wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
charvin wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
gill wrote:I can't believe Mike Brown got more of a chance when he was first hired.

I think the reason a lot of people are upset is how the Lakers led everyone to believe Phil to LA was basically a done deal and every report was that it was Phil's job to lose.

Now it appears that wasn't even the case, they hired D'Antoni before Phil even had a chance to say yes.

That doesn't sit well with a lot of people

I agree. It was painful to know that they traveled to visit Phil on Saturday, yet already made up their mind a day later on which coach was the best fit.

If you already know what you want, don't waste other people's time. To me, it hurt knowing Phil was going to give an answer today but they had moved on.

The Lakers FO, Jimmy mainly, deserves all the grief they are going to get over this one from the fans. All of it.

LJ, I share 100% your disdain for Jim Buss' role in the Mike Brown hire over Adelman. BUT, other than your own sneaking suspicion has there been anything at all leaked yet that pins this on Jim? I haven't heard anything like that yet.

TIME you had my back when I brought out the LA Times articles (Broderick Turner and Mike Bresnehan reporting) about Jimmy being the sole one in charge of hiring Brown, and then getting the others on board. So we see eye to eye on a lot of stuff.

No, I don't have any report this time saying that this was solely Jimmy's decision. In fact, this time around I fully believe that it was Dr. Buss' final say -and that he probably liked the idea of D' Antoni.

I said from the beginning that I thought Phil's demands were too high, and that forced between picking in favor of his son or Phil he would go with blood. The one thing you can't take out of this equation though is that adversarial relationship between Jim and Phil. If that wasn't in play, I can bet you a lot that Phil would have been brought in as the fan choice and as Jerry Buss' choice. He has always said that as long as Phil wants to coach this team he will have his shot. Now he wants to coach the team, but he's been shot down.

Was Phil too greedy? Yes, I think he was. I think he went after the Jim's power to some degree and that was a no no.

Again, if it were me I would have at least had a conversation with Jerry Sloan who is a HOF coach.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:41 pm

Pringles love to PnR. We have only two can run it. Nash and Kobe. I am really interested to see how Pringles can make it work without running Nash and Kobe to the ground.

Our back up PG's are crappy, especially in this type of offense.
borri

Postby RushDelivery on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:42 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:
RushDelivery wrote:I agree. I just can't support this hire, and while I would love to be proven wrong, I'm fairly confident the Lakers won't be winning a title under D'Antoni.

Would we be winning a title under Phil either?

We would have to implement the triangle offense, when really Kobe and Pau (maybe MWP) are the only ones well versed in it. Plus, no matter who was our coach our defense is (and has been) the problem. Also, outside of Jordan Hill, we really have no reliable bench player.

I agree there's no guarantee, but hiring Phil would have given this team a greater chance to win this season due to his intangibles and his ability to manage egos. IMO D'Antoni just lacks too many qualities to successfully lead a team all the way to a title when you analyze the performance of his teams throughout his career.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:42 pm

lakerswiz wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
lakerswiz wrote:
retro_nights wrote:Nate McMilan isn't even a good defensive coach.

I want to be proven wrong by these coaching hires, but it seems like thats why they hired Mike, to prove Phil wrong.

McMillian is being looked at as a defense savior for no other reason that Mike D'Antoni having no clue what to do. There's going to be a helluva lot of people claiming he's a defensive coach and this and that and they have no idea who he is or how he coaches. Just because we have a 'defensive' coach doesn't mean anything will be solved. Hell, most of the time the 'defensive' coach's job is to do nothing but keep track of specific stats and then tell the players where they're lacking.

There's nothing to back up the statements painting McMillian as some specialty defensive coach other than hope that it pans out.

I'd prefer Nate to have taken over the team than Pringles though.

+1. Nate's not exactly known for his defense. I would preferred him as head coach over Pringles.

But mostly I'm angered that the Buss family was sold on this guy and didn't even bother to meet with Phil's agent today. Even then, even if they already knew that Phil wanted more than they would give (veto power, big pay check, time off from travel), they should at least have called Sloan up. Or at least interviewed more guys than just Dumbleavy.

This is pretty lousy hire no matter how you look at it.

We used to laugh about 'Antoni (no D). Now some of you guys are just drinking the Kool Aid that Jim Buss is handing out to you? This is a sad state.

We feel very similar on most of this.

I'm upset because of how Phil was treated. Now, we of course don't know what went on behind the scenes and all that, but if the agent was on a plane to LA, something was either not understood or wasn't communicated properly.

And now we get the Laker fans claiming McMillan is a defensive coach (so was Mike Brown - remember that guy?) without any reason for believing so other than having read someone else say it. Go read some of the comments about McMillian and about Brown and they're scary similar.

The preconceived notions about these coaches is hilarious to me.

Nate McMillian a defensive coach? Why? One person says it and runs with it and now it's tossed around like therealdeal tossing around pictures? Exhibit A should be Mike Brown. Heralded as a defensive coach and yet - where was that defense?

^^ Agreed. And yes, it's weird how these guys get these labels and they stick.

But no, McMillan isn't a proven defensive coach at all. I don't like the idea of both of these head coaches running the show.

I wanted Phil or Sloan. With those guys it's very clear cut what the orders are out there on the court. If that's old school, then fine. I guess I'm old school. Coaching by committee isn't what I want.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Aonex on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:47 pm

gill wrote:Welcome Pringles! :jam2:

Haha... love the avatar!
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby Tragic on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:49 pm

lmao @ OP
Tragic

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:06 pm

fully willing to give mike2.0 a shot.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby LooN3y on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:26 pm

i simply cannot understand how a fully grown adult (jim buss) have such an ego trip to go as far as ruining our chances to get a championship.

phil knows how to use 2 bigs downlow, pau is going to be real expendable now, i wanted phil goddamn it
LooN3y

Postby Finwë on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:38 pm

LooN3y wrote:i simply cannot understand how a fully grown adult (jim buss) have such an ego trip to go as far as ruining our chances to get a championship.

phil knows how to use 2 bigs downlow, pau is going to be real expendable now, i wanted phil goddamn it

:disagree:
Facts? Reports? Anonymous quotes? Anything?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:38 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Finwë wrote:If you approach it with a "I thought we we're getting Phil Jackson" mentality, then you'll be disappointed and pissed with this decision. But if you go about it as in "we had Mike Brown and now we have Mike D'Antoni", then you should be kinda excited.

When we got Howard, and our "superteam" was formed, almost every laker fan was extremely excited and had incredibly high hopes for the team. And that was with Mike Brown as head coach, who most of us knew wasn't nearly good enough. Still, we felt that, with time, the team's talent and IQ would be a force to be reckoned with.
We started out awful, and fired Brown, who was the team's weakest link. Now we have a better coach, and the same team we all believed in. They have a few games under the belt, but due to injuries and rotation issues, the starting unit and the bench players still lack some cohesiveness and chemistry. We ditched the needlessly complex system that was haulting our progress (because it confused our players and hid the talents of some of them) and now we're implementing one that is simpler and freer, but one that can be just as or more effective. This is the same team we all felt could go all the way, but with a better coach. So we should be optimistic.

Regarding our team's balance: Just as it's overly optimistic to say our team will be as effective as his Suns teams on O, it would be shortsighted to say we'll be just as bad defensively (and btw, those Suns teams weren't that bad on D, that's been exaggerated over and over). I expect us to be good on both ends, better on O, but not bad on D. We have experienced guys, champions. We have physical freaks of nature. We have legitimate closers, versatile big men, hustle guys, great rebounding and high IQ. We should be fine.

Obviously D'Antoni isn't ideal, but he's still a superior coach than Brown, and that's huge. Our stars really like the guy and approve of him. Our FO chose him over all others in a time where they couldn't afford to make any more mistakes. It's understandable to be doubtful and worried, I am, but they all trusted that MDA was the guy, and so should we, at least for a while until we've played some games!

Good Post Finwe :jam2:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Tragic on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Yeah good points Finwe
Tragic

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:50 pm

very well said finwe, completely agree
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby nthydro on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:58 pm

Finally we get to see a small ball lineup of Nash, Meeks, Kobe, Artest, Jamison. :man1:
nthydro

Postby KB24 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:07 pm

Glock would be looking good right now compared to Blake or Duhon :man11:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby ojdidit123 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:11 pm

When we got Howard, and our "superteam" was formed, almost every laker fan was extremely excited and had incredibly high hopes for the team. And that was with Mike Brown as head coach, who most of us knew wasn't nearly good enough. Still, we felt that, with time, the team's talent and IQ would be a force to be reckoned with.
We started out awful, and fired Brown, who was the team's weakest link. Now we have a better coach, and the same team we all believed in. They have a few games under the belt, but due to injuries and rotation issues, the starting unit and the bench players still lack some cohesiveness and chemistry. We ditched the needlessly complex system that was haulting our progress (because it confused our players and hid the talents of some of them) and now we're implementing one that is simpler and freer, but one that can be just as or more effective. This is the same team we all felt could go all the way, but with a better coach. So we should be optimistic.

There is no need for optimism and any optimism with Mike Brown disapeared through the preseason and the start of this one. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. Dantoni is a joke plain and simple got forced out of New York because players and management knew he was a joke, His system has never and will never win in this league. This is about the worst possible hire the Lakers could've possibly made given that we have no consistent 3 point threats outside of Nash and we need 3 or 4 more to be effective. We have a soon to be 39 year old point guard who will be missing plenty of games this year with various injuries and other personnel that shouldn't have to run this uptempo offense where defense is not preached we are doomed to fail here. We'll win games sure and alot of you will buy into the possiblility that we can win it all but start sizing up LeBrons second ring with this signing we through in the towel and we decided lets be more entertaining rather than actually winning when it counts.
ojdidit123

Postby last stand on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:13 pm

i actually like the idea of ron artest at the 4 spot. it intrigues me. but we have no 3 to replace him. barring trade of course. but i think ron would be nasty at the 4. he'd be a mismatch every night with the pure physical strength to play defense as well
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby thkthebest on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:16 pm

I remember that one play when Popovich didn't call a timeout because D'Antoni took out Shaq, which left them with no shotblockers.

Ginobili then just took it to the hole to win the game.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby Finwë on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:16 pm

I think this was a big part of why the reaction to D'Antoni's hiring was so bad:
Adande: The courtside season-ticket holders I talked to were excited for the return of Phil. The fans in the upper reaches of Staples Center chanted "We want Phil!" The Phil Factor overshadowed everything, including this hire. As @MarkQuest tweeted to me: "Mike Brown to D'Antoni...great! Mike Brown to Phil Jackson to D'Antoni...questionable."

While there were some posters here from the get go saying "NO!" to D'Antoni, I think a lot of the negative reactions to this hire has to do with the "letdown" of thinking he were getting Phil. I was sure of it, and the minute the news popped up I was pretty bummed.
If we'd gone from Mike Brown to D'Antoni right away, IMO reactions would've been much more pleasant. It was just the disillusion of not getting the guy with 5 rings with LA.

Hopefully as we come down from the excitement we had about Phil's comeback, people can start supporting D'Antoni. I REALLY doubt the FO would fire 2 coaches in one season, so a huge amount of pressure from us fans would really do no good.
Finwë

Postby Scnottaken on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:18 pm

I can see how the phone conversation went now. . .
Pringles: Hey, can you give me directions to--
FO (I won't say who, I have my suspicions but I'll keep them to myself): You're hired!
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard