Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:57 am

Brand and Mullens have signed with the Hawks and Clippers. We aren't winning 55 games, might not even make the playoffs. You have to be one of the best teams in the league to be a COY candidate. We won't be. And MDA still isn't a good coach. It doesn't matter if the personnel fits his style better or not, you can't turn a rock into a piece of gold.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:00 am

JSM wrote:Brand and Mullens have signed with the Hawks and Clippers. We aren't winning 55 games, might not even make the playoffs. You have to be one of the best teams in the league to be a COY candidate. We won't be. And MDA still isn't a good coach. It doesn't matter if the personnel fits his style better or not, you can't turn a rock into a piece of gold.

He's a good coach, he's not a great coach. He turns rosters like this into fun teams to watch in the regular season. Look at what he did with those Phoenix rosters. This team isn't that far from them. I don't think we're winning 55 games either because we'll lose our stars for chunks of games, but I see this team winning 45 games for sure, maybe more if we can get/stay healthy.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:10 am

^ Going to have to disagree. Name one good coach who gives zero credibility to the defensive side of the floor? Because I certainly can't think of any.

I don't equate fun teams into good teams or believe that makes you a good coach. Transformers might be a fun movie but that doesn't make Michael Bay any less of a joke.

I credit Nash for Phoenix's success much more than I credit that to MDA's "coaching." Pringles would just jump up and down like a kid in Toys R US who doesn't get what they want while other coaches like Phil look at him like he's a damn fool. If MDA was a good coach, his NY experiment wouldn't have been such a disaster.

I don't think this team is anything remotely close to those Phoenix teams. They were much younger, healthier, quicker, and had better shooters and flood spreaders. The only youth we have comes from the bench and a lot of those players are considered question marks. Not to mention Nash has aged quite a bit since then and unlike wine, he doesn't get better with age.

Also, good coaches don't have their superstar tell them to abandon their coaching style and philosophy and opt for a more Phil like offense so the team can limp into the post-season. Good coaches either have a philosophy that works or tinker with it till they get the most of what the have. Take Dwight out of the equation and MDA didn't come close to getting the most out of anyone on the roster except Blake. Instead he rode the backs of his stars, ran them into the ground in attempts to secure a second season with the Lakers.
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:18 am

I think your standards for a "good coach" are simply too high JSM.

The things you're describing are what happens when a "great coach" interacts with a "good coach". I'm not saying D'Antoni is going to have a wonderful season, I'm saying he's going to do a good job of getting the most out of players like Johnson, Young, and Farmar. They're young, they'll run, and their numbers will inflate because of it.

Good coaches get their teams to the playoffs. Great coaches do something when they're there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:30 am

therealdeal wrote:I think your standards for a "good coach" are simply too high JSM.

I think there are only two great coaches in the NBA - Doc and Pop.
Next tier (very good) - Spo and Thibs
Followed by - Carlisle, Adelman, Vogel, Brooks, Mark Jackson
Next - Woodson, McHale, Brown, Cheeks, Drew, and Corbin

I would put MDA somewhere in the last tier and not at the top, either. To me being middle of the pack in the league doesn't translate to "good." Also, the only reason he's that high is because there are eight new coaches...I will guarantee at least a couple of them will be better than MDA.

therealdeal wrote: I'm saying he's going to do a good job of getting the most out of players like Johnson, Young, and Farmar. They're young, they'll run, and their numbers will inflate because of it.

I agree with that. But just saying "run" and pushing the ball to inflate a meaningless offensive number when you're getting murdered on the other end doesn't make you a good coach. Good coaches teach. These players won't learn anything under MDA or grow as players.
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:39 am

JSM wrote:I think there are only two great coaches in the NBA - Doc and Pop.

I would put D'Antoni in the group labelled "Next" or maybe just below it. I don't know, it just sounds like we have different outlooks on "good".

JSM wrote:I agree with that. But just saying "run" and pushing the ball to inflate a meaningless offensive number when you're getting murdered on the other end doesn't make you a good coach. Good coaches teach. These players won't learn anything under MDA or grow as players.
I don't agree with the idea that the players won't grow. A guy like Wesley Johnson could really learn to excel as a player in this system because it'll give him the confidence his game needs to score the ball the way he his talent level should indicate.

I think these players will grow offensively. Defensively? Not as much.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:56 am

therealdeal wrote:^ I'm gonna call you crazy, but the biggest problem with your post, my friend, is that Brand signed in Atlanta and Mullens is about to sign with the Clippers.

I think something got lost in translation there.. What I was saying is that I hope us wanting Brand & Mullens is the reason LO hasn't came back yet, & now that they've both signed elsewhere I hope we're going after LO. Basically, I hope the delay was on our side, & not that Lamar is unsure if he wants to come back.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:24 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ I'm gonna call you crazy, but the biggest problem with your post, my friend, is that Brand signed in Atlanta and Mullens is about to sign with the Clippers.

I think something got lost in translation there.. What I was saying is that I hope us wanting Brand & Mullens is the reason LO hasn't came back yet, & now that they've both signed elsewhere I hope we're going after LO. Basically, I hope the delay was on our side, & not that Lamar is unsure if he wants to come back.

Oh I see. Yes that makes more sense. However I think that Odom probably was waiting on the Clippers.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:58 pm

JSM wrote:I agree with that. But just saying "run" and pushing the ball to inflate a meaningless offensive number when you're getting murdered on the other end doesn't make you a good coach. Good coaches teach. These players won't learn anything under MDA or grow as players.

Do you really think we're paying D'antoni $4 million to simply say the word "run"? There's more to his coaching (and every other coach in the league) than just that. There's a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes and at practices that we don't know about.

When we're losing and have a locker room in turmoil because of a crybaby superstar, D'antoni's reputation is that of an incompetent moron who denounces defense as heresy and doesn't know anything about offense other than telling his players to run and chuck up threes. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this time next year, after a season with a more suitable roster of hungry young athletes who actually want to be here, fans will be singing a different tune about him.
Helljumper

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Helljumper wrote:Do you really think we're paying D'antoni $4 million to simply say the word "run"? There's more to his coaching (and every other coach in the league) than just that. There's a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes and at practices that we don't know about.

No, I don't. I think we're paying him $4m for him to say "run faster" and "score more points." He's not a coach, he's a fan with a better seat than us. That last line of yours goes out the window in this day and age. This isn't the 90s. With the media presence and today's information age, everything gets out thanks to Twitter.

Helljumper wrote:When we're losing and have a locker room in turmoil because of a crybaby superstar, D'antoni's reputation is that of an incompetent moron who denounces defense as heresy and doesn't know anything about offense other than telling his players to run and chuck up threes. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this time next year, after a season with a more suitable roster of hungry young athletes who actually want to be here, fans will be singing a different tune about him.

If this was the first time these allegations came up, then you might have a point. But his veterans spoke out on this in both Phoenix and in New York. I'd love to sing another tune, but he's not going to change who he's been his entire time coaching in this league.
JSM

Postby JSM on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers 40m
RELEASE: Lakers have named @madsen_mark & Larry Lewis as player development coaches - http://on.nba.com/17riRXd | PIC: pic.twitter.com/ntodTJU2z3

:man10: Madsen looks like a personal injury attorney in that photo.
JSM

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:57 pm

:man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:46 pm

I gotta say I agree with you 100% JSM. I would add more but, we've all done this dance many times before.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby TIME on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:56 pm

I would put MDA somewhere in the last tier and not at the top, either. To me being middle of the pack in the league doesn't translate to "good." Also, the only reason he's that high is because there are eight new coaches...I will guarantee at least a couple of them will be better than MDA.

Yeah, but as far as mustaches go he is strictly top tier!
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:17 pm

TIME wrote:

:man10: Can't disagree there, he might even be #1.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Preach J!

I'm going to stay optimistic...but with MDA at the helm, no true contention at a ring! With a guy like Kobe on the roster who is rushing to get back, it's a slap to his face.

Also to a loyal fan base hungry to one up the Celts, its a collective slap to our faces. We dont care about Division titles and the top record in the NBA...we want 17 and 18! It don't matter if a title doesn't come via a gimmick or an exciting offense....we want titles. Game 7 against those guys was a dirty, grimy game...but one of the most memorable!

With our moves this summer, we got younger and faster...but it really means squat with that 'stache on the sidelines. With MDA, you don't have an emphasis on D...and that doesn't cut it if the goal is a ring...PERIOD.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:22 pm

I think they already conceded that winning a title next season was a stretch to say the least, with or without Clown on the roster. So I think they're plan is to save the money and just get thru next season and then fire him, unless they strike out in their quest to lure free agents or if somehow there isnt a coach on the market thats better.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:50 am

Tobias Funke wrote:I think they already conceded that winning a title next season was a stretch to say the least, with or without Clown on the roster. So I think they're plan is to save the money and just get thru next season and then fire him, unless they strike out in their quest to lure free agents or if somehow there isnt a coach on the market thats better.

Agreed.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby bigdog2013 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:18 am

MDA deserve some credit because he did bring the 7 second or less offense into the NBA with the stretch 4. Now most NBA teams run the same thing (knicks, Heat).
bigdog2013

Postby bigdog2013 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:20 am

Weezy wrote:
TIME wrote:

:man10: Can't disagree there, he might even be #1.

I think Doc belongs in the second tier, He went to the finals only twice. WIthout KG he is average coach.
bigdog2013

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:52 am

therealdeal wrote:
Tobias Funke wrote:I think they already conceded that winning a title next season was a stretch to say the least, with or without Clown on the roster. So I think they're plan is to save the money and just get thru next season and then fire him, unless they strike out in their quest to lure free agents or if somehow there isnt a coach on the market thats better.

Agreed.

+1. The damage is already done - Dwight has already left the building. We're not winning anything next year so the push to fire Pringles just isn't there. There's no more urgency really so I guess we might as well roll with this guy. I'd love to see him canned, but it isn't going to happen. For those of you convinced he'll get fired next year - I'm not sure about that either. I think for whatever reason, they are really into this guy. I think they're hoping to pair him up with Melo, Kobe and Lebronze and do a USA basketball thing. I'm not joking.

On topic however, has Rambis been officially hired yet? Is he going to be? What's going on there?
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 1h
It's taking longer than expected, but source says Rambis return to Lakers is "on track." Just details to work thru
JSM

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Let's GO, Rambo!
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Hopefully he can turn our turrible defense into an average defense.

Or at the very least teach them to position themselves correctly on the court. AKA when the Center slides over to help the PF our wing player slides down to take the man that's left open on the backside.

No more shrugs. :man2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Pig Miller on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:55 pm

who do you guys think will be the next lakers coach once mda is gone? (assume it won't be phil)

or who would you like as coach?
Pig Miller

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard