Mike D'Antoni Discussion: "I was an idiot..." (155)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:They could be better, I'm not debating that. I'm saying they could be a lot worse. And that includes NOT having the young guys even on the roster. We might not have gotten Farmar, Young, Henry, or Johnson this summer if it wasn't for D'Antoni's offense being here.

We'd be looking at some sorry state of veterans instead.

Hmm. Well, I'm not sure I'm giving credit to D' Antoni's offense as the main reason for the young guys being here. Farmar wanted to come back home to his family. Coming back to the Lakers was a dream come true for him. He actually fits D' Antoni's system the best of all the guys so it's weird for me to see Mike D give him such a short lease last game, when he's clearly doing the best of all our PG's and has been really good so far.

Young wanted to be a Laker, period. Johnson and Henry are also stoked to be here in the P and G. But sure, they are good players for the most part for D' Antoni. As long as he puts them in positions to succeed. Not at the four for Johnson!

LJ every single one of those guys cited two reasons why they were Lakers: 1. Because they love LA and 2. Because they're excited about what this offense can do for them.

D'Antoni and his offense are absolutely one of the main reasons they chose to be here. I have no doubt about that at all. It's great for guys looking to get a paycheck next season because it affords them inflated stats and inflated opportunities if they work hard enough.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:42 pm

revgen wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 12m
D’Antoni said his focus is on deciding on a rotation ASAP. Wants to get Hill more minutes while still getting Kaman on the floor.
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand

Trade Pau for Rondo.

Problem solved.

I see that on here a lot. Why would the evil empire do that trade?
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby Juronimo on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Scnottaken wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 12m
D’Antoni said his focus is on deciding on a rotation ASAP. Wants to get Hill more minutes while still getting Kaman on the floor.
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand

Is it really that hard?

Hill (28) / Williams (15) / Kaman (5)
Pau (30) / Kaman (18)

I did that in 3 seconds. Give me another 3 seconds to write that Wesley should be playing at the 3 exclusively. You tried it, it failed, God gave you a brain, 1 + 1 = 2.

In MDA world, 1+1=4. Get it? Because he's number 11? It means he's a 4!
Sorry, I had to

hahaha sob
Why won't he play guys at their natural position?
RIP Nelson Mandela
Juronimo

Postby Center Court on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:12 pm

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:
Manve77 wrote:MDA doesn't fit the Lakers IMHO.
To play run-n-gun you need shooters. (Suns 2005-07) Not Blake and Meek caliber. Play Kelly for crying out loud!
But you don't win titles with offense only. You need also to play a lot of D.
MDA proved he cannot win with run-n-gun in PO with Suns and Knicks.
Lakers that won titles always had a good balance of O and D.
Why bring a coach like this to LA? :bang:
The problem is that MDA will push his thing ayway. This is the only tactics he knows! :bang:

Ding ding ding!

Winner.

The only reason Antoni is still here is so Baseball Cap Boy can save face.

There is no coach ever born that could get this team to winning a title. What MDA does bring is a fun sytem to watch and a system that inflates players stats and thus raise or even create trade value.

Anyway, I don't like his rotations but that's my only beef right now.

Hill needs to be getting 28+ mins a game and Young
Center Court

Postby borri on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:37 am

LOL wonder what Big Game and Coop were laughing about during the in game breaks when Big Games complained about why Hill isn't getting more PT.

I'll venture a guess..."damn man this coach is a MF'ing idiot for not playing Hill more."
borri

Postby Manve77 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:49 am

Under MDA this team is underachieving. I truly believe that with right coaching and healthy, this is a 50-win team (of course with Kobe). And we'll gonna end up with 38-42 wins, struggling to get to the PO.
Winning games is "fun to watch". Loosing games 110:125 or 116-118, not playing D, running and gunning with almost no pure scorers and 2 bad PGs (one is old, one is XXXX), not using defensive talents of some players and make them shoot 3s -is not fun to watch IMO. It's painful to watch. Yeah, let's make J. Hill shoot 3s too. It's fun to watch. :disagree:
Spartak Moscow. Lakers. Penguins. Liverpool. Lazio. Barcelona. River Plate.
Manve77

Postby MC on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:58 am

therealdeal - I suppose if you want to be on the side of extreme optimism I could see your points as somewhat valid in defending MDA lol.

My position is simple............ I'm not into style points...... I believe in the proper philosophy and approach....win or lose...... direction is more important than the end product at any specific time because the direct is the only thing you can hang your hat on.

but hey...some guys rather lose look'n pretty than win ugly...... to me that's an overcompensation and overcompensation are NEVER long term successes in any sport or life in the general.....

Train wrecks are fun to watch too for majority of people.....it shouldn't mean you want to be the one they are watching
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:24 am

Center Court wrote:
>>There is no coach ever born that could get this team to winning a title.<<

That excuse might work this season.

Last season? Not so much.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:26 am

therealdeal wrote:
>>This team is better than any of us thought it would be so far.<<

Like I said, lowering the bar for this organization.

If this is good enough for you, then more power to you, I guess.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:54 am

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

:man10:

You're a funny guy. Great rebuttal and discussion so far from you.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:18 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

You're a funny guy. Great rebuttal and discussion so far from you.

I wasn't reaching for laughs.

I meant what I said, i.e., if "not as bad as we expected" is good enough for you, then more power to you.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:19 pm

The Baseball Cap Boy/Potato Head/Pringles train wreck has taken us from "will we be a title contender this year?" to "will we make the playoffs this year?"

Bar lowered.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby Juronimo on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:25 pm

I am frustrated, thoroughly frustrated with this guy so far.

Even though we have personnel for each position, this guy chooses to pay players out of position. One of the reasons we lost against SA and GS was playing Blake at SG. He is not a shooting guard, what is he, 6'1", 170? How is he going to guard Kyle Korver or Klay Thompson or Ginobili? No shocker Thompson and Korver had career games. MDA has even played Jodie Meeks at the 3 for stretches. Seriously wtf is that all about.

Our more productive players get limited minutes. Hello MDA. The 2 Jordans (Hill and Farmar) are producing, play them!

Then again this is the coach that ran Kobe into the ground, possibly ending his career. What should I expect.

This team is not run and gun. It's not built for that. This is not 30 year old Nash, this is 40 year old Nash. He can't play like that anymore. We can play uptempo for stretches, when Farmar is in the game. Maybe we're spoiled by having Phil all those years but my god MDA is such an awful coach it defies description. Just play guys at their natural position. I bet if we ran a starting lineup of Nash, Henry, Johnson, Hill and Pau we don't get destroyed defensively and guys are in their natural position. From the bench you run Farmar, Meeks, Young, Williams or Kelly, and Kaman. Blake should only play if someone is hurt or in foul trouble, or as a defensive substitution. That second unit can still play uptempo, and buy splitting the minutes between the 2 lineups guys won't get worn out, and you don't have as many defensive mismatches.

I bet right now teams with big shooting guards are salivating right now due to the insanity and idiodicy of MDA's coaching and substitution patterns.

This rant is a long time in coming. I'm thoroughly frustrated by Antoni's incompetence.
RIP Nelson Mandela
Juronimo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:33 pm

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:I wasn't reaching for laughs.

Whether you were trying to be funny or not doesn't really matter when you're being funny anyway.

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:I meant what I said, i.e., if "not as bad as we expected" is good enough for you, then more power to you.

Not as bad as we expected is exactly what it sounds like. Whether that's good enough for me or not is relative to my expectations going into the season.

Your argument is pretty terrible so far. The flip side is: if better than you expected isn't good enough, then I feel sorry for you.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:50 pm

therealdeal wrote:Not as bad as we expected is exactly what it sounds like. Whether that's good enough for me or not is relative to my expectations going into the season.

My point exactly.

Your expectations suggest a lowering of where the bar has historically been set for this organization.

As for me, I'm just glad that "not sucking as bad as expected" wasn't good enough for Jerry Buss, Kareem, Magic, Kobe, et al.

therealdeal wrote:Your argument is pretty terrible so far.

The flip side is: if better than you expected isn't good enough, then I feel sorry for you.

If you were talking about any other organization than the Lakers, then you might have a point, but you're not, so you don't.

But keep trying to put a positive spin on things if you must.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:My point exactly.

Your expectations suggest a lowering of where the bar has historically been set for this organization.

Completely untrue. The Lakers have missed the playoffs before and they'll do it again. My expectations going into this season was that they would make the playoffs and I still view that as very realistic.

Lowering my standards from making the playoffs to winning a Championship doesn't make me wrong, it makes me realistic. Anyone who expects otherwise is fooling themselves.

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:As for me, I'm just glad that "not sucking as bad as expected" wasn't good enough for Jerry Buss, Kareem, Magic, Kobe, et al.

I don't know who you're quoting, but it's certainly not me. :man10: Misquoting is a serious offense. English teachers mark down for that.

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:If you were talking about any other organization than the Lakers, then you might have a point, but you're not, so you don't.

Again: the Laker culture is to win a Championship every season... when it's feasible. The Lakers have won 16 Championshps, they haven't won 60. Temper your expectations to reality, it makes reality more bearable. I can expect to grow wings and fly or I can take a plane to my next destination. I wonder which I'll choose.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:15 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Lowering my standards from making the playoffs to winning a Championship doesn't make me wrong, it makes me realistic. Anyone who expects otherwise is fooling themselves.

Being realistic doesn't mean being content with unsatisfactory or substandard performance - whether on the part of the front office, coaches or players.

therealdeal wrote:I don't know who you're quoting, but it's certainly not me. :man10: Misquoting is a serious offense. English teachers mark down for that.

English teachers also know the difference between quotes that designate mention vs. quotes that designate use. At least they used to, anyway. Now their hands are probably full explaining the difference between "you're" and "your."

In any event, did my paraphrasing of your original statement, i.e., "better than expected," really change the meaning? I don't think so.

therealdeal wrote:Temper your expectations to reality, it makes reality more bearable.

A recipe for greatness, if ever there was one. /sarcasm
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:Being realistic doesn't mean being content with unsatisfactory or substandard performance - whether on the part of the front office, coaches or players.

Substandard by whose standards?

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:English teachers also know the difference between quotes that designate mention vs. quotes that designate use. At least they used to, anyway. Now their hands are probably full explaining the difference between "you're" and "your."

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote: any event, did my paraphrasing of your original statement, i.e., "better than expected," really change the meaning? I don't think so.
Oh of course it did. :man10: That's why you said it the way you did. If you had made the direct quote your statement wouldn't have been so "strong". :man10:

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:A recipe for greatness, if ever there was one. /sarcasm
What about this team screams greatness?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:25 pm

X for Swaggy was great, still needs to play Hill more but it's tough when Kaman is hitting his Jumpshots as well. Let's see how this plays out.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:25 pm

X for Swaggy was great, still needs to play Hill more but it's tough when Kaman is hitting his Jumpshots as well. Let's see how this plays out.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:52 pm

I came in to see how much Mike D is being killed but instead found a gem of an argument going on about "expectations". Laughing right now. :bow:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Juronimo wrote:I am frustrated, thoroughly frustrated with this guy so far.

Even though we have personnel for each position, this guy chooses to pay players out of position. One of the reasons we lost against SA and GS was playing Blake at SG. He is not a shooting guard, what is he, 6'1", 170? How is he going to guard Kyle Korver or Klay Thompson or Ginobili? No shocker Thompson and Korver had career games. MDA has even played Jodie Meeks at the 3 for stretches. Seriously wtf is that all about.

Our more productive players get limited minutes. Hello MDA. The 2 Jordans (Hill and Farmar) are producing, play them!

Then again this is the coach that ran Kobe into the ground, possibly ending his career. What should I expect.

This team is not run and gun. It's not built for that. This is not 30 year old Nash, this is 40 year old Nash. He can't play like that anymore. We can play uptempo for stretches, when Farmar is in the game. Maybe we're spoiled by having Phil all those years but my god MDA is such an awful coach it defies description. Just play guys at their natural position. I bet if we ran a starting lineup of Nash, Henry, Johnson, Hill and Pau we don't get destroyed defensively and guys are in their natural position. From the bench you run Farmar, Meeks, Young, Williams or Kelly, and Kaman. Blake should only play if someone is hurt or in foul trouble, or as a defensive substitution. That second unit can still play uptempo, and buy splitting the minutes between the 2 lineups guys won't get worn out, and you don't have as many defensive mismatches.

I bet right now teams with big shooting guards are salivating right now due to the insanity and idiodicy of MDA's coaching and substitution patterns.

This rant is a long time in coming. I'm thoroughly frustrated by Antoni's incompetence.

Pretty much +1 on this one for me.
Lakerjones

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:02 pm

I don't get the MDA bashing right now.. Anyone think X would be producing like this under Phil? MDA has limited Farmar's minutes lately but before that he had him playing the best I've ever seen him in a Laker uniform. Shawne Williams hasn't been doing much stretching the floor with his putrid shooting but his defense has stopped starting PF's from going off on us early in games.. He hasn't played Hill enough overall but he has shown in the Clips game (leaving the bench in) & last night leaving Hill in that if guys play well he'll keep them out there.. He made the call to keep Hill in the game & that's probably the only reason we won.. Moving Young to the bench was another smart move, he fits much better with that unit. He needs to get more consistent with his rotations before the players get too frustrated by it but other than that he's doing a great job turning lemons to lemonade imo.
LakersN4

Postby Sirron on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:23 pm

questionable rotations so far is my biggest gripe.

he's still searching for rotations, and he needs to get that done and over with and settle in.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:35 am

Sirron wrote:questionable rotations so far is my biggest gripe.

he's still searching for rotations, and he needs to get that done and over with and settle in.

You know Mike D gets killed for this even though every coach does this even the magical Phil Jackson.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion