Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby sister golden hair on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Having Meeks tr to run the point at the end is nuts. Sorry. Meeks has proven over the course of his career that he has absolutely zero handle and well-below-average PG passing ability. He is what he is, and what he is not is a PG. Riding the hot hand has to be tempered with good recognition of context, situation and personnel skill-sets -- not to mention a healthy dose of common sense. Those two possessions, IMO, turned the game around and really killed momentum.
sister golden hair

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:15 pm

Pau was horrible tonight but I thought he should have been out there down the stretch.. Meeks at PG wouldn't have been so bad if he came down & handed it off to Pau & let the offense get set & then work it around to our shooters.
LakersN4

Postby kenzo on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:35 am

If he sits Pau's sorry *** down and plays Kaman, i'll forgive him for the past mistakes :man9:
kenzo

Postby Center Court on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:27 am

For all his flaws- which there are many, I'd say he is really good fit for this team and this time we're transitioning through.

Still hate how he just throws people in the dog house out of nowhere especially when they can and do contribute: Nate in NY, Jamison/Hill last year, Kaman/Hill this year, etc.
Center Court

Postby revgen on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:32 am

^He should be a good fit. Mitch selected our current crop specifically for him.

Kaman, quite frankly, deserves the dog house because of his awful defense.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Weezy on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:48 am

revgen wrote:^He should be a good fit. Mitch selected our current crop specifically for him.

His defense is better than Pau's, or at least no worse, at least he tries.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:57 am

Weezy wrote:
revgen wrote:^He should be a good fit. Mitch selected our current crop specifically for him.

His defense is better than Pau's, or at least no worse, at least he tries.

True, but Pau has a 19 million dollar expiring contract that could be useful on the trade market. Other team's GM's can be reminded that he's still alive as long as he still plays. Basically, a form of advertising.

Kaman needs to bring more to the table than shooting long two's and playing mediocre defense if he wants to take more of Pau's minutes. Otherwise, I prefer the hustle that Sacre brings to the table.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Weezy on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:59 am

I don't disagree it just sucks. To me Kaman does deserve to get some of Pau's minutes, but I get why he's not.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:36 am

Kaman lacks mobility , especially on his PNR defense, but was doing a fine job protecting the rim ...
If it's about D then Nash should never see the floor again

MDA dog house jobs lack justification from what we can see on the court .... we are not Inside the locker room though .

Sacre had a very nice but if he becomes a regular rotation player , boy we are in trouble.... I guess it has more to do with Hill current struggles to play so many minutes
wcsoldier81

Postby odom1year on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:01 am

Brian Shaw is a good coach.

odom1year

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:25 am

Lakerjones wrote:We needed Blake. We can debate about Pau/Sacre, but it wasn't the main thing. The difference maker was our lack of a PG in crunch time. That was a bad decision, and Stu just made that same point. So I'm with you in that regard for sure HJ.

Don't know if anyone else has been aware of it yet, just jumping back into the lack of Blake in crunch time thing this morning. Today's rag Times says that at the morning shoot around he could only shoot left handed due to a hyper extended right elbow. Still probably would have been a better option to settle things down, probe and get guys better looks while hopefully not turning the ball over or making bad decisions.
LTLakerFan

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:24 pm

Maybe it is time we start giving this guy some credit for the way this team plays. I mean he gets all the credit when they don't win.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby karacha on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:24 pm

Solid rotations, good timeouts, he motivates his team. No complaints lately from me, honestly.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:27 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Maybe it is time we start giving this guy some credit for the way this team plays. I mean he gets all the credit when they don't win.

Meh if we had Phil , we would have won last year title and be 19-0 this season !

Never been a fan but MDA makes a bunch of nobodies looking good on O and competing hard ... His rotations changes have been solid too
wcsoldier81

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:30 pm

Gotta give him credit, he always seems to know which guys to bring in to finish this game throughout the entire season. Meeks was on the bench, then he takes Sacre out which moves welsey to the 4 and allow Meeks to finish the game.

Obviously Meeks hit the huge shots when we needed them most
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby thkthebest on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Yep. Mike definitely deserves some credit. Over .500 without Kobe/Nash with about a quarter of the season over and a relatively hard schedule.
thkthebest

Postby Weezy on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:40 pm

I give him all the credit in the world for how we are playing. Clearly the players like him and the freedom they get on offense from him, and the players we got were definitely to try to maximize his system. I like how he sticks with groups that are hot, and while I don't love how the staters and rotations are always changing, I do like that he rewards players with time if they earn it.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:41 am

10-9...a winning record without Kobe. Job well done

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:48 am

:bricks:

30+ three point shots again!

Come on you guys...y'all should know better. This ish won't work come playoff time. If you guys are happy with a 10-9 record coming off a lowly Kings team, then I guess mission accomplished.

The only thing I can be satisfied with is great effort in an otherwise flawed design. But why should I credit a coach that encourages that type of design, to begin with.

If anything, our "success" is infuriating cause it gives motive for management to remain status quo and keep delivering us these shenanigans!

Kudos to you guys though for looking for any silver lining...even though that line is some 22+ feet away.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:05 am

Vas, I give the guy credit for how he has this team playing, almost everything else you say I agree with. He has them playing hard, but his style doesn't win titles. When our threes fall we look great, when they don't we're doomed. I give him credit for where he has this underdog team, but I still want him gone after this season for a better coach.t
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:57 am

This roster won't succeed in the playoffs regardless of the type of ball it plays ...

Lakers management have a history of mainly picking poor coaches ... the phenomenal successes of Riles and Phil just "hide" this fact ...

Plus poor results led from the firing of a bad coach ... to the hire of another bad one
wcsoldier81

Postby karacha on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:29 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:This roster won't succeed in the playoffs regardless of the type of ball it plays ...

What he said. The system doesn't really matter this season. It works for this group of young guys, and finally I am watching a team that has good chemistry and actually cares and never gives up. It's refreshing.

Besides, MDA was one Horry hip check and a bunch of suspensions from the finals, and likely a championship. So, it's not like this doesn't work. It does, but you have to have a team for it -- and you have to play at least OK defense.

His top PHX Suns team would smash the league right now. But they had no depth; this Lakers team is deeper.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:33 am

Vasashi17 wrote::bricks:

30+ three point shots again!

Come on you guys...y'all should know better. This ish won't work come playoff time. If you guys are happy with a 10-9 record coming off a lowly Kings team, then I guess mission accomplished.

The only thing I can be satisfied with is great effort in an otherwise flawed design. But why should I credit a coach that encourages that type of design, to begin with.

If anything, our "success" is infuriating cause it gives motive for management to remain status quo and keep delivering us these shenanigans!

Kudos to you guys though for looking for any silver lining...even though that line is some 22+ feet away.

If it's not Phil and it's not the triangle, it will never work.

Name a team in the NBA whose offense we should be running that doesn't have a consistent post player on that team?

Every team runs pick and roll, horns, iso's and off ball screens. We don't have a consistent post player, so it eliminates half the offense we can run.

We shoot 5 more 3's per game than Miami.
We shoot 3 more 3's per game than Portland.

This isn't the 90s and 00s anymore, this is what teams do. Is MDA on the more extreme side of that, for sure, but we don't have personnel to shift it the other way and dump it in the post.

Dallas won it all shooting the 3rd most 3's at 22/game
Miami won it all shooting 20/game in 2012 and 2013
Lakers won it all shooting 21/game in 09-10.

We are shooting 26/game so far this season without a post player to eat into that. MDA isn't the greatest coach, I'm not defending him, I'm defending the fact that you think this offense is trash, even though a majority of it is basic stuff other teams run with in the game today.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:41 am

The offense is not trash at all. It's the D that could be more consistent. I am actually impressed with the offense considering we have these guys playing:

Wes
Henry
Young
Blake
Williams
Sacre

Come on, read those names again. If someone showed you that list few years ago, you'd weep.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:06 am

Sorry guys, but this is the league now. This offense already has won titles. The only difference between this offense and Miami's is that we don't have a LeBron. The only difference between this offense and the Dallas team that won not too long ago is we don't have a consistent half court option yet like Dirk.

Outside shooting and layups/dunks. That's the way the league plays now. It's the offense that basically all of the "great" teams play in this era. Or at least it's no less effective than the isolation heavy offense that's run by OKC.

There's not a lot of people running the Triangle any more. There's not a lot of great offenses. It's pick and roll, it's isolation, it's iso-post ups, and it's fast breaks. That's pretty much it.

And defensively this team really isn't that bad. They rank, what, in the middle of the pack? With a team of guys that have absolutely no legitimate defensive presence? I mean really this team plays far better defensively than I would have imagined. Guys like NIck Young and Wes Johnson have really made our perimeter defense work nicely. Xavier as well from time to time. We have no rim protector (our best shot blocker is Wes).

All things considered Mike deserves a ton of credit for having these guys right around .500. I know that before the season we'd all have taken this without a doubt. If you consider that this team could have won 2-3 more of their close games with a real closer on the team, then it's even more impressive. They've actually competed against some of the best teams around (San Antonio comes to mind). He's got a ton of faults, but he's done a good job so far this season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard