Mike D'Antoni Discussion: "I was an idiot..." (155)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:37 am

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 41m
Lakers starting lineup vs OKC: Kobe, Meeks, Wes, Hill, Pau
Expand

Except for Pau, I think this is the lineup we should be running every game regardless of injury.

They said Kobe is going to start on Westbrook, I'd rather have Meeks guard him and Wes on Durant. Let Kobe ease back into playing, not throw him into one of the most athletic players in the league.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:40 am

Replace Pau with Kaman. Even with the back spasms.

Or put the rookie in at the 4 and move Hill to the 5.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:41 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 41m
Lakers starting lineup vs OKC: Kobe, Meeks, Wes, Hill, Pau
Expand

Except for Pau, I think this is the lineup we should be running every game regardless of injury.

They said Kobe is going to start on Westbrook, I'd rather have Meeks guard him and Wes on Durant. Let Kobe ease back into playing, not throw him into one of the most athletic players in the league.

I have a feeling Kobe wanted this for some reason... Hopefully it stops quickly. Westbrook is going to blow past Kobe so often it'll make our heads spin.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:45 am

Oh yeah, Westbrook for 30 tonight. But that's OK, since we're losing that game anyway.

Wes could maybe bother Durant a little, especially if KD is not feeling it today. But Westbrook will get his, like he does against any team in the league. And Ibaka is going to make Pau cry. It's a fact.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:44 pm

karacha wrote:Oh yeah, Westbrook for 30 tonight. But that's OK, since we're losing that game anyway.

Wes could maybe bother Durant a little, especially if KD is not feeling it today. But Westbrook will get him, like he does against any team in the league. And Ibaka is going to make Pau cry. It's a fact.

and tomorrow Pau will make it seem like the system's fault
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:47 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
karacha wrote:Oh yeah, Westbrook for 30 tonight. But that's OK, since we're losing that game anyway.

Wes could maybe bother Durant a little, especially if KD is not feeling it today. But Westbrook will get him, like he does against any team in the league. And Ibaka is going to make Pau cry. It's a fact.

and tomorrow Pau will make it seem like the system's fault

he's already doing it today. I am so done with Pau..
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby khmrP on Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 pm

Even if/when this potato is gone, I have no faith in mgmt. mainly Jim "basecap" Buss to make any better coaching hiring. Wouldn't shock me one bit if we end up hiring Mark Madsen or something to that degree.
khmrP

Postby John3:16 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:10 pm

I'm no fan of D'Antoni, but if he keeps calling Gasol out, I might be forced to change my opinion of him.
John3:16

Postby trodgers on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:40 pm

John3:16 wrote:I'm no fan of D'Antoni, but if he keeps calling Gasol out, I might be forced to change my opinion of him.

That "excuse not to try" line was epic.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby sister golden hair on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:54 pm

I'm curious: what do guys think MDA gained by uttering such an 'epic" line?

Did it improve his relationship with Pau or make it worse?

Will it get the team to play any better team defense? Doesn't look like it, judging by tonite.

Will it facilitate a better return if Pau is indeed traded? I don't see how calling a tradeable player lazy accomplishes that.

Or did it simply serve MD'as appetite to "get back" at Pau, because that's all it seems like to me. In which case it literally accomplished nothing except soothe MDA's ego.

Epic, indeed.
sister golden hair

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:11 pm

That's certainly an interesting viewpoint.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:13 pm

^and what would have been done if MDA allowed Pau to blame his lack of effort, lack of production and lack of anything worthy of discussing on him? What if MDA said, "Pau is right I need to get him more touches and we will have to work harder on that? Would it make Pau play harder, play better d, give the effort? Judging by the year it doesn't look like it.

I have been one of Pau's biggest supporters. Hell, I pretty much support all of our team and even I know that this is 90% on Pau.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby sister golden hair on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:54 pm

No, MDA did the right thing: fan the flames ever higher. God knows that always works.

By the way, The Lakers got torched by OKC plenty at the rim tonite even when Pau sat. Rim was prett much unprotected. But I suppose it's all the players fault as usual. It's never MDA's fault. It's never that his offensive scheme and the green light he gives players (aka lack of shot discipline) totally exposes his defense when the shots aren't falling. No, Sir. It's all on Pau and the rest of the lazy bums.
sister golden hair

Postby trodgers on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:12 pm

Epic doesn't equal good. His line was indeed epic.
Make it clear after all Pau has said, after all the pouting, that Pau is wrong and possibly delusional. D'Antoni is trying to force Mitch's hand. And, as it's his job on the line, MDA is right to do it.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:24 pm

When it comes to his comments, epic does come to mind...followed by the word fail.

He wants Pau to try and stop giving excuses, yet the dude stopped trying in New York and quit on the team.

If the 'stache wasn't comedy enough...

But hold up...don't get it twisted...Mike, I hope to God you quit again and I'm sure that if you do, you'll try to collect that last paystub in the process.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Toklat on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:35 pm

I agree that this is pretty much on Pau. I am glad MD said something. It is pathetic watching these big cry babies get paid all that money to make excuses. I would likely get fired but I would sit his butt on the bench and leave him there. It would be great seeing Sacre and Kelly show what they can do. Kelly is going to surprise us all and Sacre can't help but get better with the extra minutes.
Toklat

Postby John3:16 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:41 pm

D'Antoni is a lot of things, but dumb isn't one of them.

IMO, this is coming from above him. Ownership has paid Gasol good money for 3 years and got little in return. Surely in comparison to his first 2 1/2 years in LA. Think they're not frustrated that they are paying him close to $20 million and he has ZERO chance of being in the MVP conversation, let alone being named an All Star. $20 million should get A LOT more. The frustration level is felt by all (fans, teammates, Gasol himself, Coach, and those cutting the checks).

Ownership invested in D'Antoni and took a media hit in doing so. Then they went and spent even more to get "his" type of players. Then Gasol, the bust, is gonna criticize all of that??? Naw. That doesn't fly.

D'Antoni did the right thing. Gasol isn't pulling his weight. Go out and put up MVP numbers and people will listen (Magic in 81). Until then, stay in your lane, quit whining and making excuses.

Postby noobiew on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:48 pm

If Pau not giving 100% effort and play with no heart please bench him MDA ! you're the coach you have the right to do it.

Gasol has only himself to blame he get plenty of post chances to produce this season but he just can't beat his man 1 on 1, he failed miserably. I can't believe he was saying this to the media publicly and threw MDA under the bus.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby John3:16 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:56 pm

noobiew wrote:If Pau not giving 100% effort and play with no heart please bench him MDA ! you're the coach you have the right to do it.

He still has to answer to ownership. When asked why he left Dwight in at the end of games last year (despite the other team fouling him on purpose), D'Antoni responded "we were trying to re-sign him". Keep that in mind when you see Gasol playing and realize that next year, D'Antoni's response to that question will be "we were trying to trade him."

Tough to trade a guy sitting at the end of the bench.

Postby karacha on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:59 pm

John3:16 wrote:D'Antoni is a lot of things, but dumb isn't one of them.

IMO, this is coming from above him. ...

The more I think about it, the more I think you're onto something here. I'm 95% sure Pau is gone. It's just a matter of time now.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:07 pm

^If anything, do you think Pau requested it? In that Bill Plashe interview, he's never been that candid before, ever. It's not like Pau to go down that road; he's too passive aggressive, IMO. Either way, I don't care for MDA nor his coaching style, and I don't think it's conducive to winning championships. However, taking all the emotional out of it and looking at it from a basketball perspetive, Pau is awful and has played awful for the most part this season. He deserves the brunt of the criticism, IMO
lukewaltonsdad

Postby CarFlagChris on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:52 pm

sister golden hair wrote:I'm curious: what do guys think MDA gained by uttering such an 'epic" line?

Will it get the team to play any better team defense? Doesn't look like it, judging by tonite.

Will it facilitate a better return if Pau is indeed traded? I don't see how calling a tradeable player lazy accomplishes that.

Or did it simply serve MD'as appetite to "get back" at Pau, because that's all it seems like to me. In which case it literally accomplished nothing except soothe MDA's ego.

Epic, indeed.

Has anyone forgot the "We wanted to win" comment from last year.
Carmelo, Dwight and now Pau Gasol.
Antoni cannot coach a star.

If we had Phil, we wouldn't have had these problems.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:14 pm

CarFlagChris wrote:
sister golden hair wrote:I'm curious: what do guys think MDA gained by uttering such an 'epic" line?

Epic, indeed.

Has anyone forgot the "We wanted to win" comment from last year.
Carmelo, Dwight and now Pau Gasol.
Antoni cannot coach a star.

If we had Phil, we wouldn't have had these problems.

it is weird that Mike has only had THREE stars and he has failed to coach all three of them.... wow
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:26 pm

MDA knows how to coach a team with a star PG. That's it. He can't feature a center, nor a shooting guard, nor anything else. He was a star PG in Italy, and he can shape a team based on his PG experiences. Just like J Kidd. They can't think beyond their own perspective as a player.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:28 am

It worked both ways ... stars have to buy in the coach system .... Melo didn't , D12 didn't when he should have ( he sucks at straight posting up whatever the system is) and Pau is using MDA reputation of not liking post ups as an excuse .... anybody who watches Lakers games know he has his share of post touches and does nothing good with it .

I'm not a fan of MDA by any stretch of imagination but fans are making him a bigger pb than he really is ... the biggest pb is Lakers FO and its bad decisions ...

Stop acting like they built a championship roster material for 3 seasons and the only reason why we suck is the coach ...

Fire MDA , fine ... then the Lakers FO will give you Mike Dunleavy or Vinny Del Negro
wcsoldier81

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion