Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby DarthRekal on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:43 pm

why is he playing metta at the 4? isnt the issue we need a backup 3? and a stretch 4? wouldnt playing metta at the 3 and giving the 4 minutes to Jamison solve both?
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
User avatar
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster
 
Posts: 21606
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: In The Refridgerator

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby charvin on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:56 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Just put World Peace back in the starting lineup and play Jamison at the backup 4, problem solved

Nash (28), Blake (15), Duhon (5)
Kobe (28), Meeks (20)
MWP (33), Jamison (10), Kobe (5)
Pau (33), Jamison (15)
Dwight (33), Hill (15)
charvin

 
Posts: 540
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Punk-101 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Just put World Peace back in the starting lineup and play Jamison at the backup 4, problem solved

Nash (28), Blake (15), Duhon (5)
Kobe (28), Meeks (20)
MWP (33), Jamison (10), Kobe (5)
Pau (33), Jamison (15)
Dwight (33), Hill (15)


Let's try no Jamison at SF and Pau at backup C.

Nash (28), Blake (15), Duhon (5)
Kobe (15), Meeks (20) Morris (13)
MWP (28) Kobe (20)
Pau (20) Jamison (10) Hill (13) MWP (5)
Howard (35) Gasol (13)

I don't like that either, TBH. We have a logjam at PF making us choose between Jamison and Hill and MWP (who's been a great stretch 4) and we have no backup SF, making Kobe log major minutes there which makes Morris get too much burn at SG.
Image
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
User avatar
Punk-101

 
Posts: 13265
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Orange, CA

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Punk-101 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:01 pm

TIME wrote:
I'd do:

1 - Nash 32 / Duhon or Morris (whoever is playing better) 16
2 - Kobe 24 / Meeks 24
3 - Metta 36 / Kobe 12
4 - Pau 20 / Hill 20 / Jamison 8
5 - Howard 36 / Pau 12


Nailed it. As impressed as I've been with metta as the stretch 4, nailing 3's and blowing by (relatively speaking) slower PFs, I'd like to see Jamison there. I'd split 14/14 with Hill and Jamison though...
Image
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
User avatar
Punk-101

 
Posts: 13265
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Orange, CA

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby SK8 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Some serious expert coaches we have here on CL....
Guys, just chill, seriously, there is a reason why are you in front of your PC posting minutes and rotations on ClubLakers, and there is a reason why MDA is a head coach of Los Angeles Lakers.
Yes, i am also not happy about some rotations and decisions, but hey, what are we going to change with acting smart here?
Notthing.
Let's just hope that our team will play well (like last game vs Portland) so our starters could play MAX 30 min (except Dwight) , and we are OK.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
User avatar
SK8

 
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:26 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Punk-101 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:17 pm

^^

All chill here. I trust MDA. I'm just having fun trying to be a keyboard-coach.
Image
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
User avatar
Punk-101

 
Posts: 13265
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Orange, CA

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby therealdeal on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:19 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
TIME wrote:
I'd do:

1 - Nash 32 / Duhon or Morris (whoever is playing better) 16
2 - Kobe 24 / Meeks 24
3 - Metta 36 / Kobe 12
4 - Pau 20 / Hill 20 / Jamison 8
5 - Howard 36 / Pau 12


Nailed it. As impressed as I've been with metta as the stretch 4, nailing 3's and blowing by (relatively speaking) slower PFs, I'd like to see Jamison there. I'd split 14/14 with Hill and Jamison though...

I'd still go with

Nash 32/Duhon(Morris) 16
Morris (5)/ Kobe (20)/ Meeks (25)
Kobe (15)/ Artest (20)/ Ebanks or Jamison (???) (13)
Gasol (18)/ Artest (15)/ Hill (13)
Howard (35)/ Gasol (14)

I like Artest off the bench. He's been given the green light from that spot where in the 1st unit he'd be holding back. The minutes to Hill at the PF spot could be split or given to Jamison depending on match-ups. The point is we need that last SF to make the rotation really air tight. Otherwise, I'm fine with everything MDA is doing. As time goes on I expect the minutes to decrease for the older guys like Kobe and Gasol, but we need to get some wins here first.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Rooscooter on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:Some serious expert coaches we have here on CL....
Guys, just chill, seriously, there is a reason why are you in front of your PC posting minutes and rotations on ClubLakers, and there is a reason why MDA is a head coach of Los Angeles Lakers.
Yes, i am also not happy about some rotations and decisions, but hey, what are we going to change with acting smart here?
Notthing.
Let's just hope that our team will play well (like last game vs Portland) so our starters could play MAX 30 min (except Dwight) , and we are OK.



Irony is thick here...... :man10:
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23076
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:49 pm

play jamison. idc at the 3 or 4. mwp can still have plenty of time at the 4 and still give jamison minutes at the 3 or 4. dude deserves minutes and for a coach to not even explain to jamison (a vet) why hes getting DNP is inexcusable and unprofessional. play him or trade him...jamison is better than this.
Image
User avatar
Ariza3

 
Posts: 4708
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby phoenixrisingla on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm trying not to be negative but so far I havent seen anything at all from D'antoni. His "system" seems over simplistic, he cant figure out how to use personnel, and his in game adjustments/rotations are awful.

He's made multiple comments regarding Jamison that they're going a different way, but I feel like he's not directing where we're going as just trying random things then not changing when we win a couple games. It was the same thing with Pau before he went out injured. Pau's long range game and passing have exceled lately so he's able to be effective in D'Antoni's "system" but nothing was actually changed.

He just seems to do very little COACHING and always has an excuse or deflection in interviews. I'm getting the impression that he has been propped up by great players in his career and when he didnt have those great players, well we all say the Knicks last year.

Anyway, hope I'm wrong.
Image
User avatar
phoenixrisingla

 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:49 am
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA!

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby 432J on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:35 pm

i can't believe some of you actually don't mind dan tony

nothing even close to good has come from him being HC. absolutely nothing

he plays kobe 40+ minutes every game
his rotations are atrocious
he plays freakin morris and ebanks who both suck badly over a proven scorer in jamison and even goes as far as starting those 2 clowns
his system clearly does not suit an older team like this one
oh and did i mention how the lakers defense is the worst in the NBA?

and some of you trust this idiot?
:man10:

jim buss single-handedly screwed this team up for the long run by making yet another idiotic hire. he had the greatest of all time ready to come back and he hires dan tony instead. just take a second and imagine phil coaching this team, with all its talent and then compare that to the current situation
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4784
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby sina on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:24 pm

It's not fair to judge D'Antoni now. He took over the job without trainng camp. And he also took over Brown's assistant coaches without adding his own. It takes time for him, the assistant coaches n players to understand each other and build up chemistry.

With a litile more than 1 month working togather n Nash being back, it's time for D'Antoni n the lakers to establish themselves now. January is very critical for the Lakers.
sina

 
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:34 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby 432J on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:56 pm

sina wrote:It's not fair to judge D'Antoni now. He took over the job without trainng camp. And he also took over Brown's assistant coaches without adding his own. It takes time for him, the assistant coaches n players to understand each other and build up chemistry.

With a litile more than 1 month working togather n Nash being back, it's time for D'Antoni n the lakers to establish themselves now. January is very critical for the Lakers.

where have i heard the first part before?

oh that's right.....
Image
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4784
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:36 pm

he plays kobe 40+ minutes every game


It's unfortunate I agree, but at the end of the day it's not like we were winning much anyway so if he was playing fewer we would have been getting wrecked. I don't expect him to keep running Kobe like that for the entire season though

his rotations are atrocious


I'm calling out anyone who says this now without backing up their brilliant opinion with some evidence. Stop making yourself look foolish by saying this is if you don't even know why you're saying it

he plays freakin morris and ebanks who both suck badly over a proven scorer in jamison and even goes as far as starting those 2 clowns


Ebanks has barely played at all over the last few weeks. Why do you care what Mike was experimenting with in the past? Typically a new coach will lineup experiment until he finds what he likes, it's kind of common sense. Morris has been starting because he brings youth and athleticism to the backcourt and he barely gets minutes anyway. Your "proven scorer" isn't what we need at all and comes with the worst defense you will ever witness at the 3 spot.

his system clearly does not suit an older team like this one


Yeah I guess winning 6 of our last 7 games is pretty good evidence that anything this clown does won't work

oh and did i mention how the lakers defense is the worst in the NBA?


No it's not

Christ some of you guys should really not bother criticizing the guy if you don't know what you're talking about
User avatar
JoelMyersScrotalSack

 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby 432J on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:53 pm

^^^

why didn't you bother analyzing the last part of my post? the one about phil coaching this team

probably because you're not that stupid either to think dan tony is a better fit than phil would have been
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4784
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:05 am

Because it's completely irrelevant since Phil isn't coaching this team and likely never will again so talking about it is a waste of time

But if dwelling on the past is comforting to you then go right ahead
User avatar
JoelMyersScrotalSack

 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Finwë on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:46 am

He's overplaying guys minutes-wise because the team NEEDS to win, and our bench players haven't been getting it done. We haven't been good enough to establish big leads so we can buy starters extra resting time. We aren't a deep team, we have some solid bench players but none that can really create shots for themselves or for others effectively. All of them require 1-2 of the 'big 4' be in the game to draw some attention, and even then we are usually out played. That is a big disadvantage in the RS, and also explains why some teams are having a lot of success (Clippers, Spurs). When the playoffs come, our depth won't be as much of a problem, assuming guys are healthy.
So far we haven't been good enough to afford resting our starters a lot. Fans complain about minutes, but if we kept losing the complaints would've been MUCH greater.

There are 2 ways IMO that MDA will stop playing starters heavy minutes:
Not likely -> the FO signs a couple of guys (West, Pietrus for example) and the others really pick their games up (Meeks, Jamison, Duhon/Morris, Hill all become more consistent)
More likely -> as the season progresses and the team gets more practice time and more time on the floor, the main unit gets better and we establish bigger leads in games, allowing our key starters to get some extra rest.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:51 am

Finwë wrote:He's overplaying guys minutes-wise because the team NEEDS to win, and our bench players haven't been getting it done. We haven't been good enough to establish big leads so we can buy starters extra resting time. We aren't a deep team, we have some solid bench players but none that can really create shots for themselves or for others effectively. All of them require 1-2 of the 'big 4' be in the game to draw some attention, and even then we are usually out played. That is a big disadvantage in the RS, and also explains why some teams are having a lot of success (Clippers, Spurs). When the playoffs come, our depth won't be as much of a problem, assuming guys are healthy.
So far we haven't been good enough to afford resting our starters a lot. Fans complain about minutes, but if we kept losing the complaints would've been MUCH greater.

There are 2 ways IMO that MDA will stop playing starters heavy minutes:
Not likely -> the FO signs a couple of guys (West, Pietrus for example) and the others really pick their games up (Meeks, Jamison, Duhon/Morris, Hill all become more consistent)
More likely -> as the season progresses and the team gets more practice time and more time on the floor, the main unit gets better and we establish bigger leads in games, allowing our key starters to get some extra rest.


100% on point
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6420
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby 432J on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:28 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Because it's completely irrelevant since Phil isn't coaching this team and likely never will again so talking about it is a waste of time

But if dwelling on the past is comforting to you then go right ahead

so you're saying you prefer having dan tony as coach over phil? am i correct?

it really is comforting considering that mike dan tony is coaching the team. thinking about phil would have done with this team is just a way to drown the sorrows away of not having him as head coach.
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4784
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby JGC on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:49 am

432J wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Because it's completely irrelevant since Phil isn't coaching this team and likely never will again so talking about it is a waste of time

But if dwelling on the past is comforting to you then go right ahead

so you're saying you prefer having dan tony as coach over phil? am i correct?

it really is comforting considering that mike dan tony is coaching the team. thinking about phil would have done with this team is just a way to drown the sorrows away of not having him as head coach.


Imagine what Don Nelson could have done with this team!
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Finwë on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:51 am

432J wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Because it's completely irrelevant since Phil isn't coaching this team and likely never will again so talking about it is a waste of time

But if dwelling on the past is comforting to you then go right ahead

so you're saying you prefer having dan tony as coach over phil? am i correct?

No, you aren't.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby blinkme28 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:30 pm

One major difference between Phil and MDA is I think Phil would've cut down Kobe's minutes by now. He would trust his team to figure it out. even though we all hated it at times it was really what was best for the team. Besides that Phil ran his starters hard in the playoffs anyway he was just buying time till the playoffs came around.
blinkme28

 
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:49 pm
Location: BP

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby 432J on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:27 pm

Finwë wrote:
432J wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Because it's completely irrelevant since Phil isn't coaching this team and likely never will again so talking about it is a waste of time

But if dwelling on the past is comforting to you then go right ahead

so you're saying you prefer having dan tony as coach over phil? am i correct?

No, you aren't.

thanks for answering the question i didn't ask you
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4784
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Finwë on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:37 pm

432J wrote:
Finwë wrote:
432J wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Because it's completely irrelevant since Phil isn't coaching this team and likely never will again so talking about it is a waste of time

But if dwelling on the past is comforting to you then go right ahead

so you're saying you prefer having dan tony as coach over phil? am i correct?

No, you aren't.

thanks for answering the question i didn't ask you

Well, I don't care if you asked me or not, it was obvious that you were not correct, and since you seemed to have some confusion about it, I cleared it up for you. You were wrong. He was in no way saying that.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:26 pm

I think most of us would prefer Phil to Mike, but as long as we have Jimmy at the helm, Phil won't be back.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: Hollywood

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 16 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.