Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby MambaFromDownUnder on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Noticed that we've started running ICE on defence, credit to D'antoni for our recent run of success.
MambaFromDownUnder

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Didn't even notice that last night. I will have to watch more closely tomorrow and see how well we can execute it vs. CP3.

Good move MDA. Props.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby XXIV on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:19 pm

That was a really good breakdown of the game. I wonder if they'll try using ICE on the clippers.
XXIV

Postby JSM on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Marc Stein of ESPN wrote:If you listen to sports-talk radio in Los Angeles, chances are you see Mike D'Antoni as the Staples Center coach in the deepest trouble. Especially after all those "We want Phil" chants during Shaquille O'Neal's jersey retirement.

The reality is that it would likely take something way more drastic -- Dwight Howard, for example, telling the Lakers that he won't re-sign as a free agent if D'Antoni stays -- for the Lakers to change coaches again this soon. (There are plenty of L.A. insiders, for the record, who would argue that Dwight won't have as much say on bench matters, even as he heads to free agency on July 1, as Chris Paul across the hall.)

Even missing the playoffs entirely, which remains an eventuality all too real for the Lakers, wouldn't automatically doom D'Antoni. Not when he had to coach an old and injury-riddled team without the benefit of a training camp. And not with the Lakers widely expected to slice player payroll next season and thus are believed to have little interest in spending top dollar on yet another coach while paying D'Antoni and Mike Brown.

It should be clear by now, with this bunch, that there are no guarantees. So we wouldn't dare suggest that D'Antoni is unequivocally safe. Things could change quickly if the playoffs, assuming the Lakers get there, get ugly.

There's also no denying that speculation about Phil returning to the organization -- either in a front-office role alongside Jeanie Buss, with Brian Shaw on the bench, or with Phil coaching for a brief time before handing off to Shaw -- won't go away. At this juncture, though, most signs point to D'Antoni returning next season and indeed getting that shot to not only have training camp but also a healthier roster.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:30 pm

Please make a demand that 'Antoni be fired, and Phil and Shaw be brought in, please Dwight.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby DarthRekal on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Weezy wrote:Please make a demand that 'Antoni be fired, and Phil and Shaw be brought in, please Dwight.

i know this is ridiculous... whats training camp gonna do that a ACTUAL season cant?
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:04 pm

You can argue that you need a training camp in a shortened season, since there's not enough time in between games to implement an offense. But this was a regular season, so MDA doesn't really have an excuse.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby SK8 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Can't wait for post game interview....
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Chillbongo on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:07 pm

We want Phil.
Chillbongo

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:08 pm

14 guys on the roster.........

Hill/MWP/Nash out with injuries........2 starters and a rotation player out.

Ebanks/Morris/Sacre.......D-League material at best. Them playing meaningful minutes in a big game like today is a white flag.

That's 6 players already out of 14 that could/would have offered us nothing. Down to 8 players.

Pau - 40 minutes..........way over his minutes he should be playing.
D12 - 40 minutes..........normal minutes.
Blake - 40 minutes........way over his minutes he should be playing.
Kobe - 48 minutes.........way over his minutes he should be playing.
Meeks - 31 minutes.......way over the mintues he should be playing.
Clark - 25 minutes........normal minutes for someone on his 2nd wind.
Jamison - 17 minutes.......should be at around 20 minutes.

That leaves Duhon. Is he supposed to be our savior that breaks into the 7 man rotation to give the perimeter guys a break? C'mon guys that's silly.

We don't have a SF that can play right now. We have a backup PG playing starters minutes, an inconsistent Meeks playing starters minutes.

Yea it's frustrating watching a 7 man rotation, but there is literally no one else to play the PG/SG/SF minutes that we need. We are playing Blake/Meeks/Kobe for crying out loud for a majority of the game. If we had depth and capable guys we sure as hell wouldn't be relying on that.

Blame the injuries or blame the FO for picking Morris/Ebanks/Sacre over guys like NateRob/Webster/Birdman for the same price.

Sure MDA could throw Duhon out there for 10 minutes or run Clark into the ground when he is already on his second wind, but what is that going to do? Kobe would still play 40 minutes, Blake would be at 30+ still, Meeks at 20+ still. What does that help in the long run? It doesn't help anything.

We were a severely top heavy team to start the season, I don't know what you guys are expecting with all these injuries.
Last edited by Doc Brown on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby DarthRekal on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:Can't wait for post game interview....

we just gotta shoot more
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby OX1947 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Cant blame MDA everytime they lose.
OX1947

Postby DarthRekal on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:09 pm

OX1947 wrote:Cant blame MDA everytime they lose.

1st amendment says hello :man1:
Last edited by DarthRekal on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in en 7 seconds or less

Postby Chillbongo on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:10 pm

^ By that token it's not always to his credit when we win, either,
Chillbongo

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in en 7 seconds or less

Postby DarthRekal on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Chillbongo wrote:^ By that token it's not always to his credit when we win, either,

i think we win IN SPITE of him
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby purp n gold on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:14 pm

Looking forward to seeing Phil, MDA and Mike Brown on the payroll next year. Oh and Eddie Jordan too, just for good measure
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby charvin on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:24 pm

His system was supposed to be simple and easy to learn. Now I ask at this juncture, what system?
charvin

Postby JSM on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:27 pm

Doc Brown wrote:We were a severely top heavy team to start the season, I don't know what you guys are expecting with all these injuries.

I expect a coach that is being vastly overpaid and has the best gig in the NBA to earn a couple dollars of that salary.

For about .0001 second there everyone thought Ebanks (who started games for us) was Ariza 2.0. So this might be D-League fodder on our roster, at least Ebanks has a little experience under the bright lights. Would I play him? No. I think he's too emotionally fragile and he's been in the dog house too long to give us anything.

I've already said I'd give Duhon a couple minutes because he has prior experience with MDA. Quite awhile before Blake found his game, Duhon had a decent stretch, but he also had an awful stretch.

No one expected this injuries and preparing a game plan with so few players isn't what MDA expecting when he signed in LA. But we also aren't the first team in the history of the NBA to be decimated by injuries. It's his job to get creative, to motivate, to balance minutes, to find a successful rotation, to bring players up to par/speed when need be, and to F'ING coach...he hasn't done a single one of those things (you can argue "find a successful rotation" but I'd argue process of elimination to 7 goes in the bad column not the good one).

I have no problem playing Dwight huge minutes, he's young. I can understand playing Clark huge minutes, he's young too (even though he just pulled himself off the brick wall he ran into face first). I can even understand Pau's minutes. Those missed games should mean he has more left in the tank theoretically. But you can't play Kobe every tick of the clock. Even when this game was in the books, Kobe was still in there. The human body isn't designed to withstand what Kobe goes through on a nightly basis when playing the entire game. I don't care what he plays through or how tough he is. Father time is undefeated and MDA's style is pressing the FF button on the remote cutting down what's left of Kobe's career. There's a reason no one else endures that in the NBA, especially someone who's been in the NBA 17 years + playoff mileage + Olympic mileage + the hell he puts himself through preparing for every game. The compounding injuries will continue to snowball and if Kobe's career were to come to an end because a freak injury that occurred thanks to MDA, then MDA would need to go into witness protection.

And it'd be one thing if his minute distribution and rotations were his only coaching flaw. But the list is longer than line to ride Space Mountain at Disney.
JSM

Postby khmrP on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Dwight PR would take a even uglier hit then it already has if he makes these demands with the coach
khmrP

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Doc, great breakdown in your post and its not that I disagree, but I just don't know why this man is getting any outs from the fans. Before the injuries....the man had an 8 man rotation....in December!

BTW, where's the ICE? No seriously, Kobe needs some!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:36 pm

khmrP wrote:Dwight PR would take a even uglier hit then it already has if he makes these demands with the coach

Not with Lakers fans :man10: , we'd love him forever.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan 2m
Kobe keeps playing high-volume minutes...47 today. D'Antoni: "If that doesn't work, then I should have done something else."

No crap Sherlock
JSM

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:53 pm

JSM wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:We were a severely top heavy team to start the season, I don't know what you guys are expecting with all these injuries.

No one expected this injuries and preparing a game plan with so few players isn't what MDA expecting when he signed in LA. But we also aren't the first team in the history of the NBA to be decimated by injuries. It's his job to get creative, to motivate, to balance minutes, to find a successful rotation, to bring players up to par/speed when need be, and to F'ING coach...he hasn't done a single one of those things (you can argue "find a successful rotation" but I'd argue process of elimination to 7 goes in the bad column not the good one).

Blake is at 40 minutes, Kobe is at 48 minutes, Meeks is at 30 minutes. They are all playing too many minutes. The only other person that could play the 2 is Duhon. So give Duhon 20 minutes.

We get worse, but Kobe gets rest. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Doc Brown

Postby SK8 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:58 pm

JSM wrote:
Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan 2m
Kobe keeps playing high-volume minutes...47 today. D'Antoni: "If that doesn't work, then I should have done something else."

No crap Sherlock

He is joking, right??
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:59 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Doc, great breakdown in your post and its not that I disagree, but I just don't know why this man is getting any outs from the fans. Before the injuries....the man had an 8 man rotation....in December!

BTW, where's the ICE? No seriously, Kobe needs some!

I'm not giving him any outs. I don't care who the coach, it could be anyone. I'm just trying to explain why we can't expand the rotation. It has nothing to do with the coach, but more to do with the fact we can't just throw bodies out there for the sake of throwing bodies out there.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard