Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby TIME on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:06 pm

JSM wrote:
Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan 2m
Kobe keeps playing high-volume minutes...47 today. D'Antoni: "If that doesn't work, then I should have done something else."

No crap Sherlock

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Meanwhile Adelman won his 1000th game.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 48s
D'Antoni on Kobe's level of fatigue: "He said he’s going to retire after a year so we’re going to get our money’s worth for two years."

I'm pretty sure MDA is being mildly sarcastic and trying to be funny with these comments but either way, they're leaving a sour taste in my mouth and makes me want to introduce his face to a 2x4
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:34 pm

He's mainly joking I'm sure, but at the same time 'Antoni is doing the same thing Brown did, use Kobe as much as possible to try and win so he doesn't get fired, not what's best for Kobe's body long term.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Are there any other coaches in the league who "joke" as much as our last two coaches? My goodness, I couldn't take Brown seriously with all his joking around during interview questions, and now this guy.

You lost and are inching slowly out of the playoff race. Take this seriously, man.
charvin

Postby cthroatgtr on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Coach shouldn't have shoved Ebanks in the dog house and locked the door. Ebanks should have gotten spot minutes all year. If he had, then he would actually be a contributor. No he isn't Ariza 2.0 but he is a more realistic backup SF with MWP out. Instead since he has already nailed the coffin shut on Ariza that leaves Sacre (really redundant with Pau back), Morris & Duhon.

I know everyone would like to simply give up on Ebanks but he did play ok last year when Kobe went out. Since D'Antoni took over almost zero minutes, electing to ALWAYS go smaller.

D'Antoni the worst coach since Randy Pfund and that includes Brown & Rudy T....
cthroatgtr

Postby CarFlagChris on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:48 pm

cthroatgtr wrote:Coach shouldn't have shoved Ebanks in the dog house and locked the door. Ebanks should have gotten spot minutes all year. If he had, then he would actually be a contributor.
. . . .
D'Antoni the worst coach since Randy Pfund and that includes Brown & Rudy T....

Why would he not play Ebanks, but only use 7-8 players?
Particularly as the Lakers are possibly the oldest of the teams in the West.
Doesn't make any sense.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:25 pm

I will say I have never, ever been a fan of D' Antoni or his coaching. He is anathema to me.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:28 pm

If D'Antoni is fired this offseason i hope we replace him with Addelman, hes probably done in Minnesota

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Helljumper on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:35 pm

Doc Brown wrote:14 guys on the roster.........

Hill/MWP/Nash out with injuries........2 starters and a rotation player out.

Ebanks/Morris/Sacre.......D-League material at best. Them playing meaningful minutes in a big game like today is a white flag.

That's 6 players already out of 14 that could/would have offered us nothing. Down to 8 players.

Pau - 40 minutes..........way over his minutes he should be playing.
D12 - 40 minutes..........normal minutes.
Blake - 40 minutes........way over his minutes he should be playing.
Kobe - 48 minutes.........way over his minutes he should be playing.
Meeks - 31 minutes.......way over the mintues he should be playing.
Clark - 25 minutes........normal minutes for someone on his 2nd wind.
Jamison - 17 minutes.......should be at around 20 minutes.

That leaves Duhon. Is he supposed to be our savior that breaks into the 7 man rotation to give the perimeter guys a break? C'mon guys that's silly.

We don't have a SF that can play right now. We have a backup PG playing starters minutes, an inconsistent Meeks playing starters minutes.

Yea it's frustrating watching a 7 man rotation, but there is literally no one else to play the PG/SG/SF minutes that we need. We are playing Blake/Meeks/Kobe for crying out loud for a majority of the game. If we had depth and capable guys we sure as hell wouldn't be relying on that.

Blame the injuries or blame the FO for picking Morris/Ebanks/Sacre over guys like NateRob/Webster/Birdman for the same price.

Sure MDA could throw Duhon out there for 10 minutes or run Clark into the ground when he is already on his second wind, but what is that going to do? Kobe would still play 40 minutes, Blake would be at 30+ still, Meeks at 20+ still. What does that help in the long run? It doesn't help anything.

We were a severely top heavy team to start the season, I don't know what you guys are expecting with all these injuries.

Great post.

I'd be interested in reading a response to this post from someone who still thinks D'antoni is screwing us over with his rotations.
Helljumper

Postby odom1year on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:38 pm

This thread is wasting time, just like MDA wasting Lakers' chance.
odom1year

Postby The Rock on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:39 pm

I wish we picked up some SG/SF who can just give us 10-15 mins a game, all he has to do is literally nothing but hustle. Look at Mike James, he's been in and out of the NBA but he does one thing well which is organize an offense and doesnt turn the ball over and he's been solid for the Mavs. You dont need some high fly act just someone who meets a small need adequately and Lakers simply didnt address it. I said it before I think the Front office didnt have any faith in this team they probably thought they would be out of the playoff race by now and didnt think adding a player and spending a money was worth it. Now the injuries are pilling up and players are running on fumes.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby CarFlagChris on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:47 pm

Helljumper wrote:

Ebanks/Morris/Sacre.......D-League material at best. Them playing meaningful minutes in a big game like today is a white flag.

That's 6 players already out of 14 that could/would have offered us nothing. Down to 8 players.

That leaves Duhon. Is he supposed to be our savior that breaks into the 7 man rotation to give the perimeter guys a break? C'mon guys that's silly.

We don't have a SF that can play right now. We have a backup PG playing starters minutes, an inconsistent Meeks playing starters minutes.

Yea it's frustrating watching a 7 man rotation, but there is literally no one else to play the PG/SG/SF minutes that we need. We are playing Blake/Meeks/Kobe for crying out loud for a majority of the game. If we had depth and capable guys we sure as hell wouldn't be relying on that.

Blame the injuries or blame the FO for picking Morris/Ebanks/Sacre over guys like NateRob/Webster/Birdman for the same price.

Sure MDA could throw Duhon out there for 10 minutes or run Clark into the ground when he is already on his second wind, but what is that going to do? Kobe would still play 40 minutes, Blake would be at 30+ still, Meeks at 20+ still. What does that help in the long run? It doesn't help anything.

We were a severely top heavy team to start the season, I don't know what you guys are expecting with all these injuries.

Great post.

I'd be interested in reading a response to this post from someone who still thinks D'antoni is screwing us over with his rotations.

I agree that it is a great and well-researched post.
However, the Lakers are not getting better by being run into the ground.
The Lakers need to get younger, but they do not play their young players.
Instead, they play their 2nd oldest player virtually every minute, and watch his productivity decline.

But, don't take my word for it.
From today's LAT (Bresnahan):

"The Lakers looked especially short-handed against a deep Clippers team. Steve Nash sat out because of hip and hamstring soreness, possibly returning Tuesday against New Orleans. Metta World Peace will return earlier than expected but remains sidelined after having cartilage removed from his knee.

D'Antoni, though, stubbornly stuck to a seven-man rotation."
CarFlagChris

Postby The Rock on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:51 pm

^ again what are the alternatives? Morris doesn't even play well in the D-league, how is he gonna contribute here? Duhon is a lost case. Ebanks was stuck deep in the bench under Phil and Mike Brown too. Those were our perimeter options...Pau/Dwight play same position as Sacre so we cant play him

Huge mistake by FO by not picking up a swingman through trade/D-League.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:47 pm

I'm kinda scared to trade Pau now. Most likely we deal him for multiple young pieces.. If MDA is still coach how many of those pieces will fit in the rotation? I want to give him the benefit of the doubt & say it's because the personnel doesn't match the system.. Hopefully we get something like AK, Barea, + backup C from 3rd team that takes Dwill2, so the pieces fit in so well he has to play them. AK & Barea would be great fits on this team & improve the defense & we'd have to have a backup C with Pau gone.
lakersin4

Postby CarFlagChris on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:58 am

If the Lakers miss the playoffs - and if they were held today the Lakers would be out - does Antoni get the axe?

We beg PJax to make a triumphant, if short return, to manage Kobe's last years?
Or hire away Byron Scott, who appears to be on the chopping block in Cleveland?
CarFlagChris

Postby DarthRekal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:26 am

CarFlagChris wrote:Or hire away Byron Scott, who appears to be on the chopping block in Cleveland?

I seen teams trade coaches before.. would this be plausible in this case?
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:39 am

CarFlagChris wrote:If the Lakers miss the playoffs - and if they were held today the Lakers would be out - does Antoni get the axe?

We beg PJax to make a triumphant, if short return, to manage Kobe's last years?
Or hire away Byron Scott, who appears to be on the chopping block in Cleveland?

I don't believe for one minute D'Antoni is going anywhere. He'll have one more season with a full training camp, different personnel more suited to his system, and we hope a less injury riddled season. Do I agree with it? Nope. However, as other posters have noted, we're not paying 3 coaches at the same time, IMO

I don't think Phil Jackson is ever coming back, unfortunately. The way that situation went down with Phil earlier in the year just shot down that whole possibility of that ever happening again, IMO. This whole coaching situation is a mess; but what should really be addressed is the glaring weaknesses on this roster before anything else, IMO.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:07 am

D'Antoni will only get fired if he gets met by a perfect storm of opposition: we miss the playoffs, Kobe and Dwight demand a new coach, Steve Nash retires, and a great coach becomes available/willing.

All of that has to happen. They aren't going to abandon D'Antoni so soon and they honestly shouldn't for a lot of reasons. The biggest problem isn't even him, it's our health and our balance. We need to fix the roster before anything else happens.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:07 am

does this guy ever make adjustments at halftime? We seems to always start off the 3rd qtr slow, we're either losing big leads or fall behind even further after the half, good or bad teams never seems to fail.
khmrP

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:40 am

Yeah, I don't think he really makes in-game adjustments. But to have a whole coaching staff not care is kind of ridiculous as well. Either the coaches don't, the players don't listen, or we just can't make the adjustments they suggest.

Mike's always been a "let's take care of our business and we won't have to worry about what they're doing" guy.
Chillbongo

Postby DarthRekal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 am

therealdeal wrote:D'Antoni will only get fired if he gets met by a perfect storm of opposition: we miss the playoffs, Kobe and Dwight demand a new coach, Steve Nash retires, and a great coach becomes available/willing.

All of that has to happen. They aren't going to abandon D'Antoni so soon and they honestly shouldn't for a lot of reasons. The biggest problem isn't even him, it's our health and our balance. We need to fix the roster before anything else happens.

miss the playoffs... half check
kobe/dwight demanding.. half check .. kobe is okay with coaching himself
steve nash retires.. he just might seeing his body falling apart
great coach available... HUGE CHECK.. see Jerry Sloan
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby charvin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:53 am

If they're playing poorly, then it is a good sign that no adjustments have been made.

My goodness, what will it take to force this guy to resign? I hope he continues to get more and more stressed coaching this team forcing him to leave on his own accord to avoid having to pay yet another coach.

khmrP wrote:does this guy ever make adjustments at halftime? We seems to always start off the 3rd qtr slow, we're either losing big leads or fall behind even further after the half, good or bad teams never seems to fail.
charvin

Postby borri on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:10 am

Helljumper wrote:

Great post.

My response. If you think offensively, like Antoni, subbing those guys in will not be an option. If you think defensively then it is an option.

Ebanks played under Brown in the playoffs...playoffs! Ebanks did a pretty good job defending KD. At the very LEAST he can do that. Morris pathetic on O, is still a better defender than Kobe, Nash and Meeks, just from an athletic standpoint. Play Morris and Ebanks with D12, Metta/Clark and a combo of Blake/Nash.

As the coach, tell them. You guys are going in to give people a blow. DON'T LET THEM SCORE. Do this for 2-3 minute stretches. No one is asking them to log long continuous minutes.

This is what a coach is supposed to do. Manage what you have. Coach the bench players, make sure they will be ready. Of course it didn't happen because at best Antoni ran an 8 man rotation.
borri

Postby borri on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:19 am

I'll also add this. You don't know what you've got unless you play them. I am talking specifically about Ebanks. If Pau hadn't gotten hurt and D12 didn't wuss out....we would have never known what Earl can do.

Antoni...lucked out in discovering Clark. If we didn't have injuries, Clark would have never gotten off the bench.

The FO signed Ebanks for a reason. Is Mitch that bad of a talent evaluator? We'll never know what Ebanks could have brought to the team had he got regular PT. You can't do ISH as player if you don't play. From the past, we know that Ebanks is athletic enough and long enough to defend the 3 or 2. Why is he rotting on the bench?

Wait....i forget, you can't shoot you don't play under Antoni. That's why Clark didn't get any PT until he was the only big man besides Sacre who can play the 4 or 5....People seem to forget that Hill rode the pine under Antoni for stretches after getting consistent PT under Brown (playoffs) and Bernie.
borri

Postby The Rock on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:31 am

Borri, Ebanks and Morris are lost causes. Ebanks specifically never found any PT under Phil, Brown and now MDA when we are DESPERATE for SG/SF defense. This guy and Morris are posting average numbers when they play in the D-league that says it all, if you cant beat up D-League competition you dont belong in the NBA.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard