Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Balance&Options24 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:45 pm

I'm he would prefer just him and his bro as coaches.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby XXIV on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:46 pm

Helljumper wrote:
XXIV wrote:
charvin wrote:Imagine if him and his brother were the only coaches :man10: Boy, that'd be a sad day.

They are right now. :hurl:

Mark Madsen

Almost forgot, whew. :jam2:
XXIV

Postby GoldHammish on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Helljumper wrote:
XXIV wrote:
charvin wrote:Imagine if him and his brother were the only coaches :man10: Boy, that'd be a sad day.

They are right now. :hurl:

Mark Madsen

At least Sacre will learn from the best.
GoldHammish

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:24 pm

I know we are trying to get over him now, but I thought this needed to be posted:

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 25m

When asked if Phil Jackson being coach would've affected decision, Dwight Howard said he asked Lakers to hire Jackson earlier in the season.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:I know we are trying to get over him now, but I thought this needed to be posted:

When asked if Phil Jackson being coach would've affected decision, Dwight Howard said he asked Lakers to hire Jackson earlier in the season.

It is over and done with, but it just shows how bad Jim botched this. You go all in on Dwight during the season, yet you don't go with the coach he asks for. You seriously think he was going to stay after you brought in this other clown to coach the team? That's just confirmation of so many reports I've read about Jim, his ego will not allow him to let Phil in, he's going to succeed or fail doing it his way no matter what, and so far it's fail.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:52 pm

I will not blame Jim for Dwight's departure. That's NOT his fault. Should he have hired Mike? Yes. But Dwight left because he's a coward. That's the bottom line.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby odom1year on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:57 pm

I hate MDA. His team will never success. Give me Shaw ! :bang: :bang:
odom1year

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:02 pm

odom1year wrote:I hate MDA. His team will never success. Give me Shaw ! :bang: :bang:

Shaw is with Denver now
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Center Court on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:14 am

as I said numerous times and I think we all know, Phil was the SINGULAR move we could of made to keep Dwight, improve our chance at a ring, restore order in Laker land, and also bring some confidence to Jim.

He failed and now we fail. MDA is a symbol for all that is wrong with this franchise.
Center Court

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:23 am

Center Court wrote:as I said numerous times and I think we all know, Phil was the SINGULAR move we could of made to keep Dwight, improve our chance at a ring, restore order in Laker land, and also bring some confidence to Jim.

He failed and now we fail. MDA is a symbol for all that is wrong with this franchise.

i agree. if ever a wrong decision was made, that was it. that's where this whole thing went sour, for dwight, for laker fans, for the organization itself. but it doesn't matter cuz i don't think dwight is "the guy" to carry us forward. the bad part is, we're still stuck with jim buss and MDA.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:53 am

Weezy wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:I know we are trying to get over him now, but I thought this needed to be posted:

It is over and done with, but it just shows how bad Jim botched this. You go all in on Dwight during the season, yet you don't go with the coach he asks for. You seriously think he was going to stay after you brought in this other clown to coach the team? That's just confirmation of so many reports I've read about Jim, his ego will not allow him to let Phil in, he's going to succeed or fail doing it his way no matter what, and so far it's fail.

^^ I agree, and this has been my contention, too.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:00 am

therealdeal wrote:I will not blame Jim for Dwight's departure. That's NOT his fault. Should he have hired Mike? Yes. But Dwight left because he's a coward. That's the bottom line.

Realdeal - I see you're being adamant about this so I don't want to get in much of a debate about it. However, Jim's insistence on D' Antoni is ABSOLUTELY, without question, one of the main things that can be pointed out for why this didn't work out with Howard. Jim had his opportunities to change this situation - he chose to ignore it despite many clear indications that it was an issue for Howard and his wanting to stay.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:03 am

it's not just about what made dwight leave. it's about what started the lakers juju turning sour.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Nashty Gal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:42 am

lakersyunowin wrote:it's not just about what made dwight leave. it's about what started the lakers juju turning sour.

yes and it all started with a little hire of a potato head :freak2:
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby Finwë on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:06 am

lakersyunowin wrote:it's not just about what made dwight leave. it's about what started the lakers juju turning sour.

juju??
We got swept by Dallas in 2011, and Jerry Buss was still owner and operational..
The decline of Pau was huge. The FO recognized it and found a way to land us CHRIS PAUL. But it was vetoed.
Then the entire FO met with some coaches and chose to hire Mike Brown. That was a terrible hire IMO, but I don't see how we can point the finger exclusively to Jim Buss. Another example of the old when something good happens it's Mitch, when something bad happens it's Jim.
After a similar season (in terms of success) under Mike Brown as the one under the legendary Phil Jackson the year before, the FO turned around and got Dwight Howard and Steve Nash, and we were all excited. But that was just Mitch right? No credit to Jim? No credit for choosing to trade a player he reportedly liked so much ("Bynum is Jim Buss' guy")?
We got rid of Brown, and again, the FO chose MDA. That's how it's been reported (the only information we have)-> it was the FOs decision. Not Jim Buss' choice alone. We just like to think that there's no way Dr. Buss could've made a bad hire, and that his dumb son decided alone. Another bad coaching hire.
We also failed that season IMO to effectively solidify our bench. Where's the Mitch criticism there? Or is it Jim's fault? I thought Mitch got the credit when we made great trades or great signings, so I assumed Mitch would also get his fair share of blame for not being able to put together a decent bench for several years, no?
So injuries happened, bad coaching happened, and we sucked (in terms of expectations).
Then came the Dwightmare. Like some others pointed out, this isn't just any other "superstar". This is Dwight Howard, a very weak-minded dude, who hates pressure and wants to be loved. Do you really think Dr. Buss would've been able to achieve what Jim and Co. weren't able to, and get Dwight to stay? I don't.
You could argue back "well but Dwight only left because of the team and coaching staff Jimbo put together". And we're back at square 1, where is that coming from? Why is it that he never gets any credit, and takes all the blame? Why are people so adamant on praising Mitch for good moves and then don't even consider blaming him when we make bad moves of a similar kind? How is that logical?
If it's just about coaching, it still doesn't make sense. All of our available information (that isn't speculation by people like Stephen A Smith, or rants by Lazenby, who almost comes across as PJs mouth piece) states the same: the coaches were not picked by Jim Buss alone / coaching hires were agreed upon by Jerry, Jim and Mitch / Jerry had the final say.
I understand skepticism over that, but I don't think Jerry Buss (even when he wasn't really healthy) would a) let his son make a coaching hire he didn't approve of and b) let the media say that it was actually his decision and not Jim's. He just doesn't seem like that kind of man, there's no way IMO.
Terrible decisions have been made when it comes to coaches lately (and some when it comes to personnel too), but IMO it should not be on Jim's shoulders alone. We need to stop idolizing people to the point where we can't even consider blaming them for anything and we rather just place all the blame in the new guy.

This is my take. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't understand the logic of the Jim Buss exclusive hate.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:20 am

therealdeal wrote:I will not blame Jim for Dwight's departure. That's NOT his fault. Should he have hired Mike? Yes. But Dwight left because he's a coward. That's the bottom line.

You better than that :

Dwight may and probably left because :

- He was mainly surrounded by old , slow and washed up players ... Lakers has failed to get younger and more athletic since May 2011

- Kobe announcing he wants to play 3 more years ... D12 wants to be the main guy ... which wasn't going to happen as long as Kobe stays ... by the way every young star is going to think the same way so we are in trouble

- the coaches fiasco ... Lakers FO keep Brown based on a full training camp excuse then they fire him after 5 games into the season to hire another bad coach with a laughable B-Ball philosophy ... who is going to stay based on a promising 28-12 stretch during which we mainly (barely) beat bad and average teams ... and another " let's see what he can do with a full training camp" excuse ... here the Lakers organization looked more dysfunctional than Dwight Howard himself

People who make the roster and coaches hires decisions are the ones to blame ... Jim , Mitch , Dr Buss whoever that is/was
wcsoldier81

Postby Helljumper on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Shaq defended D'antoni and praised his system in an interview on NBA TV while discussing Dwight's departure. He said that D'anton's system was easy on his body because he had hundreds of pick and roll plays that made everything easy. He also reminded everyone that before coming to LA, he wasn't considered a prototypical "Triangle" player, but he bought in to the team's system and worked at it.

So I'm just going to say this. We brought in an elite P&R coach to lead what was, on paper at least, the best P&R duo in the league. The problem was that our elite P&R roll man refused to play that style because he wanted to prove that the offense can run through him in the post, despite his utter incompetence. Let's not forget that.
Helljumper

Postby Finwë on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:59 pm

^ yup. There were some flaws in the potential Nash-Howard P&R (that I've pointed out in other threads), but Dwight's insistence in getting post-up touches (when he wasn't even really good at it) was a key issue
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:03 pm

What happened to Rambis? Anybody heard anything?
dwighthowardsdad

Postby 432J on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:21 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:What happened to Rambis? Anybody heard anything?

probably not coming just like everyone else who is staying far away from the lakers these days
432J

Postby The Rock on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:56 am

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9456642/nba-dwight-howard-where-do-los-angeles-lakers-go-here?src=mobile

Later on, the elder Buss explained to his daughter that the final decision on the hire had been his, and it was not personal towards Jackson. He simply saw the NBA heading in a direction that seemed to fit D’Antoni’s uptempo style.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:06 am

I just don't agree with Mike D'Antoni as a long term coach. The knicks fired him with the quickness after he ruined them and their title hopes. After that they added a few more pieces, hired someone else and then became a contender. Why can't we do the same thing?
Jazzygirl205

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:10 am

D'Antoni is the wave of the future
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby XXIV on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:48 am

Jazzygirl205 wrote:I just don't agree with Mike D'Antoni as a long term coach. The knicks fired him with the quickness after he ruined them and their title hopes. After that they added a few more pieces, hired someone else and then became a contender. Why can't we do the same thing?

They didnt fire MDA, he resigned.
XXIV

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 4h
Dan D'Antoni will coach the Lakers' summer league team. LAL is still finalizing its roster for Las Vegas.

:hurl:
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard