Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby noobiew on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:01 pm

Can't put much blame on Mike D'Antoni tonight, Gregg Popovich is just simply a better and godlike coach.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby borri on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:09 pm

Mike Antoni...if you can't shoot the J, you just don't play.

Reason #1 why Hill gets no PT.
borri

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:13 pm

Hey MC, I can only speak for myself and I ain't going to toast you bro. I actually agree with you and your numerous analogies :man10:

I guess the disconnect with me is you got a guy in his "Connected" interview saying its all about a championship cause the rest is dog ish. Now how can you have a guy like that and arm him with a team concept that doesn't favor him at all. This team concept has no business with this roster. You had a Laker for Life on the roster and you decide to go a with a team concept that favors the new AARP member that was just added over the summer. I still believe that any team that has Kobe has a real chance at competing for a title...dude has just made so many unrealistic things a reality. So if you got a guy like that on the roster and ain't competing for a title...then someone royally f'd up the colossal advantage we have over many other teams.

Jlkr, I get that the league is starting to play like "Arcade" mode, but just how successful is that really? Riles ran Showtime, but people forget just how defensive oriented that squad was. Fast breaks are caused by many things, but one primary culprit is good defense. Riles took that tough defensive mentality to NY then to Miami where Spoels implemented it. The Spurs have been significant for so long and I'm sure that has something to do with Pop. You need talent obviously, but team philosophy is equally important. Teams are playing more uptempo, but notice that the successful ones emphasize good D and when you get to the postseason, the game slows down cause the better defensive clubs are playing each other.

Folks are harping on a "what if" scenario to justify MDA's way to work if not for Big Hip Rob. Look at his body of work and its pretty obvious his offense is a gimmick....unproven and unsuccessful. Pretty much a waste of time.

Sadly that is a reality.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Scnottaken on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:58 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 12m
D’Antoni said his focus is on deciding on a rotation ASAP. Wants to get Hill more minutes while still getting Kaman on the floor.
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand

Is it really that hard?

Hill (28) / Williams (15) / Kaman (5)
Pau (30) / Kaman (18)

I did that in 3 seconds. Give me another 3 seconds to write that Wesley should be playing at the 3 exclusively. You tried it, it failed, God gave you a brain, 1 + 1 = 2.

In MDA world, 1+1=4. Get it? Because he's number 11? It means he's a 4!
Sorry, I had to
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby revgen on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:24 am

Doc Brown wrote:
D’Antoni said his focus is on deciding on a rotation ASAP. Wants to get Hill more minutes while still getting Kaman on the floor.

Trade Pau for Rondo.

Problem solved.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:38 am

1) MDA had a habit to change the rotations every 5 games or so last season

2) Very few of our players are consistent so establishing a clear rotation is a hard task : one player could the best role player for one game and the worst for the next game
wcsoldier81

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:55 am

1 suggestion is to choose over Meeks and Blake. Playing those two consistently just kills us
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby MC on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:12 am

vash - some really good points in your last points.....

the sum up is really easy to me and what confuses most with this fun and gun running garbage....

MDA just wants to run to run......Showtime only ran when the opportunity presented itself which was often because of Cap controlling the boards & outleting and guys like Coop pressuring the perimeter..... if the counter was not there they would set up and allow Cap to get in position to threaten the post and run the ball threw him

Huge difference in philosophy and the reason MDA fails and is DESTINED to fail

Teams have taken some of his spacing philosophy to open up the court in half court sets but MDA is aggressive about it which explains his rotations to me......... well the only thing that gets you is counter punched by a team that is disciplined..... That was Showtime.....they were a COUNTER PUNCHING TEAM....... not a run, run, run over aggressive team. The fact that Doctor Buss said one time that the MDA led Suns teams reminded him of showtime often made me question whether he TRULY understood the philosophy of play............. you want to know what a man is think'n you must first understand his philosophical approach..... MDA is a train wreck waiting to happen..... Riley was/is calculated
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Manve77 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:27 am

MDA doesn't fit the Lakers IMHO.
To play run-n-gun you need shooters. (Suns 2005-07) Not Blake and Meek caliber. Play Kelly for crying out loud!
But you don't win titles with offense only. You need also to play a lot of D.
MDA proved he cannot win with run-n-gun in PO with Suns and Knicks.
Lakers that won titles always had a good balance of O and D.
Why bring a coach like this to LA? :bang:
The problem is that MDA will push his thing ayway. This is the only tactics he knows! :bang:
Spartak Moscow. Lakers. Penguins. Liverpool. Lazio. Barcelona. River Plate.
Manve77

Postby Toklat on Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:28 am

I support MD but this was not a good game for him. This is one we should win. Hill and Farmar both have to start getting major minutes. Farmar is by far the best point guard we have and Hill is a rebounding machine that changes the game. They both need 30 plus minutes a game. I would start Gasol, HIll, Johnson, Farmar and X. I would give X a little X-tra practice on his free throws..
Toklat

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:09 am

revgen wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

Trade Pau for Rondo.

Problem solved.

Boy, am I ever in favor of that. Wish it could happen. That and get rid of MDA after this year. :man10:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:44 pm

@mcten: D'Antoni on Nash: "As long as we can keep him injury-free and there's no setbacks, I think he'll get better as the weeks, days go by"

Oh please. That's like saying we are going to keep a drug addict off of drugs by keeping him in a room full of cocaine and heroin.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:50 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
@mcten: D'Antoni on Nash: "As long as we can keep him injury-free and there's no setbacks, I think he'll get better as the weeks, days go by"

Oh please. That's like saying we are going to keep a drug addict off of drugs by keeping him in a room full of cocaine and heroin.

:man10: Ouch. Sad, but true.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Manve77 wrote:MDA doesn't fit the Lakers IMHO.
To play run-n-gun you need shooters. (Suns 2005-07) Not Blake and Meek caliber. Play Kelly for crying out loud!
But you don't win titles with offense only. You need also to play a lot of D.
MDA proved he cannot win with run-n-gun in PO with Suns and Knicks.
Lakers that won titles always had a good balance of O and D.
Why bring a coach like this to LA? :bang:
The problem is that MDA will push his thing ayway. This is the only tactics he knows! :bang:

Ding ding ding!

Winner.

The only reason Antoni is still here is so Baseball Cap Boy can save face.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:10 pm

MC wrote:
MDA just wants to run to run......

...with a 40 year-old starting PG.

Brilliant!

If this isn't tanking a season (even though the FO won't say it out loud) then I don't know what is.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:14 pm

I disagree with that statement and in fact a few posters on here have done a very good job of explaining D'Antoni's value to this franchise for the year.

1. He pumps up the stats of players on his teams making them more valuable in trades. See: Gasol.
2. This young team suits his system just fine. The people that don't fit: Gasol.
3. His system is exciting and garners attention. For all the negativity we're looking at 1-2 against 3 of the top 4 teams in the West.
4. Young players like playing for D'Antoni in his system. See: Farmar, Johnson, Young, Henry, and Williams. Hell even Kaman came here.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:20 pm

therealdeal wrote:I disagree with that statement and in fact a few posters on here have done a very good job of explaining D'Antoni's value to this franchise for the year.

1. He pumps up the stats of players on his teams making them more valuable in trades. See: Gasol.
2. This young team suits his system just fine. The people that don't fit: Gasol.
3. His system is exciting and garners attention. For all the negativity we're looking at 1-2 against 3 of the top 4 teams in the West.
4. Young players like playing for D'Antoni in his system. See: Farmar, Johnson, Young, Henry, and Williams. Hell even Kaman came here.

Not so much a case for Antoni's value as a lowering of the bar for this organization.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:25 pm

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I disagree with that statement and in fact a few posters on here have done a very good job of explaining D'Antoni's value to this franchise for the year.

Not so much a case for Antoni's value as a lowering of the bar for this organization.

Not really. It's quite brilliant actually considering the bind we're in. If it wasn't for D'Antoni we wouldn't even be fun to watch this season with nothing but Nash, Gasol, and some old veterans looking for a paycheck.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:27 pm

therealdeal wrote:Not really. It's quite brilliant actually considering the bind we're in. If it wasn't for D'Antoni we wouldn't even be fun to watch this season with nothing but Nash, Gasol, and some old veterans looking for a paycheck.

"Fun" to watch?

I guess that's ultimately subjective.

For me, it's more like "painful to watch."
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:34 pm

That's why this team of misfits beat the Clippers easily and then came close to beating the Spurs? Go watch the Kings or the Bucks and get back to me. Just because they're not a contender, doesn't mean they're not fun to watch.

This team is better than any of us thought it would be so far.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:49 pm

therealdeal wrote:That's why this team of misfits beat the Clippers easily and then came close to beating the Spurs? Go watch the Kings or the Bucks and get back to me. Just because they're not a contender, doesn't mean they're not fun to watch.

This team is better than any of us thought it would be so far.

The hard part for me as I just mentioned in the X thread, is that this team on paper could be better than they are. The biggest thing holding it back for me right now is D' Antoni's rotations.

He would be so much better suited to running a traditional lineup, size-wise, and stop insisting on small ball. Also USE Hill and Farmar more! They are the players giving you the BEST dividends for their minutes. Doesn't a head coach need to stop with his prejudices if players are actually producing? Hill, particularly needs more minutes and deserves to be out of D' Antoni's doghouse considering how well he's been playing. Farmar needs a longer leash because he's the best PG we have right now.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:57 pm

They could be better, I'm not debating that. I'm saying they could be a lot worse. And that includes NOT having the young guys even on the roster. We might not have gotten Farmar, Young, Henry, or Johnson this summer if it wasn't for D'Antoni's offense being here.

We'd be looking at some sorry state of veterans instead.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:37 pm

therealdeal wrote:They could be better, I'm not debating that. I'm saying they could be a lot worse. And that includes NOT having the young guys even on the roster. We might not have gotten Farmar, Young, Henry, or Johnson this summer if it wasn't for D'Antoni's offense being here.

We'd be looking at some sorry state of veterans instead.

Hmm. Well, I'm not sure I'm giving credit to D' Antoni's offense as the main reason for the young guys being here. Farmar wanted to come back home to his family. Coming back to the Lakers was a dream come true for him. He actually fits D' Antoni's system the best of all the guys so it's weird for me to see Mike D give him such a short lease last game, when he's clearly doing the best of all our PG's and has been really good so far.

Young wanted to be a Laker, period. Johnson and Henry are also stoked to be here in the P and G. But sure, they are good players for the most part for D' Antoni. As long as he puts them in positions to succeed. Not at the four for Johnson!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Too bad he still doesn't seem to accept that Hill fits and does the dirty work that no one else can do.
charvin

Postby LakerFan1235 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:51 pm

I just had a feeling that with 3 minutes left or whatever it was, and a tie game, we were gonna get out coached and lose. His decisions are just really questionable, very often. And there is no way nash is going out like this. He has more left, give him a little time.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard