Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby sister golden hair on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:05 pm

MDA has a blind spot for both Blake and Nash. Nash I can at least understand. But Blake? BLAKE? Seeing those two together is like watching Derek Fisher and his twin check into a game in his last season with the lakers. It was like watching a train wreck unwind in super-slow motion. You want to look away but the sheer destructive spectacle is fascinating in its own right.
sister golden hair

Postby borri on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:07 pm

Hate to say it, but Mike Brown is looking real good right now as head coach. He'll actually utilize our bigs more effectively AND slow the game down to minimize our inability to guard anyone.
borri

Postby karacha on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:07 pm

Yes, there is a lack of grit. Old guys can't play anymore. With the exception of Kaman. Sit them. Don't play Blake at the 2 anymore. There you go. You get more grit.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby sister golden hair on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:No more Nash/Blake/Pau.

How many games does he need to see to realize we get nothing from those guys in terms of energy and defense.

Agreed - having the three guys in together as starters is going to put you behind in nearly every single game. Henry starting with them isn't enough.

First, you have to break up the two Steve's. That idea was GARBAGE. I'm not calling the players garbage, but simply the idea of having them play at the same time has been terrible. Blake should never play the 2. We have to stop with this. One or the other at the one is fine, but not together. It doesn't work.

I also like the idea of moving Henry to the two and Johnson to the starting 3. Start Hill, too and now we are talking. If Nash is sucking, bring in Blake as the one as the first guy off the bench.

Completely agree LJ.

But guess what it doesn't matter because.....

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 30s
D’Antoni said there was a lack of grit. Still searching for the best line ups. He didn’t think the bigger one (Hill at 4) fared any better.
Reply Retweet Favorite

This dips*** can't see that the Blake and Nash backcourt is killing us and doesn't work.

The first line of defense is on the perimeter against the opposing backcourt. Nash can guard no one. Blake makes senseless decisions (and he looks hurt, too, and can't really guard anyone).

You could have Mutombo and his more athletic twin and you'd still come up short because the other team penetrates at will.

One of the Steves has to be strictly a back-up, and both should be limited to the PG position.
sister golden hair

Postby karacha on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:09 pm

borri wrote:Hate to say it, but Mike Brown is looking real good right now as head coach. He'll actually utilize our bigs more effectively AND slow the game down to minimize our inability to guard anyone.

Oh, god no. He's awful. Sorry, but its true. Slowing it down does not help when you have Farmar, Young, Meeks, Wes, Hill, X etc. Blake and Nash would be awful anyway.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:12 pm

karacha wrote:
borri wrote:Hate to say it, but Mike Brown is looking real good right now as head coach. He'll actually utilize our bigs more effectively AND slow the game down to minimize our inability to guard anyone.

Oh, god no. He's awful. Sorry, but its true. Slowing it down does not help when you have Farmar, Young, Meeks, Wes, Hill, X etc. Blake and Nash would be awful anyway.

This kind of talk reminds me of when you play that game "Which would you rather do" and then name two horrifying things that are equally disgusting. That's how I feel with any discussion of "Better coaching" regarding Mike Brown and Mike D' Antoni. It's always going to be a lesser of two evils kind of choice. Yuck.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:13 pm

karacha wrote:

Disagree.

1. Hill would actually log over 25 mins a game.
2. Yes we'd still suck but we'd suck less.
3. Blake and Nash would still be awful on offense but slowly it down rests their legs to play some semblance of defense.
4. Choice....cater the offense to Pau/Kaman/Hill or Farmar, Meeks, Wes? I'll choose the former. Young is a scorer, he'll score in whatever offense we run.

We have a bunch of slow old guys. WTF are we doing runnin and gunnin.
borri

Postby borri on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:15 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
karacha wrote:

This kind of talk reminds me of when you play that game "Which would you rather do" and then name two horrifying things that are equally disgusting. That's how I feel with any discussion of "Better coaching" regarding Mike Brown and Mike D' Antoni. It's always going to be a lesser of two evils kind of choice. Yuck.

Indeed. Both will suck. But one would actually keep us in games rather than getting blown the F out in the first half.
borri

Postby sister golden hair on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:16 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
karacha wrote:

Sad, but true.

It's painful to ponder how the FO has gone wrong with it's coaching hires the last few years. One could throw some darts blindfolded at a wall with random pictures of coaches and still end up with two better selections.
Both coaches had HUGE red flags attached to them, and yet the FO still rushed to sign both.

That is very, very troubling.

And then seeing the FO allow Howard to walk away and be left with nothing ... geez.

The FO (and, yes I'll be frank here -- Jim Buss) is why I think Kobe will end his career elsewhere.
sister golden hair

Postby karacha on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:22 pm

borri wrote:
Disagree.

I don't know man. I respect your opinion, of course. But I don't see it.

Also, you put Nash, Blake and defense in the same sentence. I don't know if that was intentional or not. :man12:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:25 pm

karacha wrote:
borri wrote:
Disagree.

I don't know man. I respect your opinion, of course. But I don't see it.

Also, you put Nash, Blake and defense in the same sentence. I don't know if that was intentional or not. :man12:

LOL what can I do? Head coach insists on playing those 2 together. This is how I look at it,.....When we aren't on offense, we are on defense.....so yeah, Blake and Nash playing defense because they are on the floor together.
borri

Postby XXIV on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Hell no, Mike Brown sucked. When he got fired I felt like we won another chip.
XXIV

Postby borri on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:30 pm

XXIV wrote:

Hell no, Mike Brown sucked. When he got fired I felt like we won another chip.

LOL. I in no way am advocating the return of Potato Head. My statement is a direct blasting of Antoni as head coach. He's so bad that he even makes Mike Brown look good.

LOL hope this clears it up. I not crazy bro.
borri

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:07 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 15m
Hill started 2nd half, not SWilliams, but another option is starting Wesley Johnson at PF. D'Antoni said Wes "gave some stuff" late tonight.
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand

:bang:

2 PG's, a SG, a SF and a Center in the starting unit. No wonder it's the first time since the merger that no Laker starter scored more than 10 points in a game.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby XXIV on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Some people never learn. :bang:
XXIV

Postby LooN3y on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:05 pm

Jeanie Buss Just Tweeted 'Mike Brown D'Antoni?
LooN3y

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:10 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 15m
Hill started 2nd half, not SWilliams, but another option is starting Wesley Johnson at PF. D'Antoni said Wes "gave some stuff" late tonight.
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand

:bang:

2 PG's, a SG, a SF and a Center in the starting unit. No wonder it's the first time since the merger that no Laker starter scored more than 10 points in a game.

:man4: :man4: :man4:

Who in their right mind can defend this guy's decision making?
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:30 pm

Farmar/Nash/Blake
Meeks/Young/parking attendant or usher (not Blake)
Henry/Johnson/Young/Harris
Hill/Pau/Williams
Pau/kaman/Hill

Is it that freaking complicated?
Last edited by Punk-101 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:40 pm

Henry got released? :wave: :what:
LTLakerFan

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:42 pm

Goddamnit! :man10:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:42 pm

:man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby last stand on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:00 am

LooN3y wrote:Jeanie Buss Just Tweeted 'Mike Brown D'Antoni?

Saw that. She's an idiot plain and simple. Proving continuously she belongs nowhere near running this team. She has no ability to control herself or keep things in house

Her idiocy knows no bounds

I mean it's obviously genius to let the whole world know that there is a disconnect, because players and coaches are dying to play for a front office that has no singular vision with two halves of ownership not even speaking
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby kblo247 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:12 am

Fact not fiction.

Paus the same attempt guy in Memphis, Barcelona before the nba, Spain, as a laker in his title runs, and without Kobe. He's not an aggressive player. He's averaging a turnover per every assist to go without defending the basket or offensive rebounding at all as Dantoni pointed out since he's not doing that dirty work. His shooting 41%.

Blake is being killed by every SG and not making them work, same with Nash who is shooting below 30%. Williams isn't stretching any floor

Kaman is on pace to out put Paus numbers if you give him 29 minutes all with better percentages and effort. Hill is rebounding at a 2 minute per board rate more or less and the leagues best offensive rebounder.

Farmar, Young, Henry, Meeks, and Wes have all did their jobs as expected or better.

The team lacks ft attempts without Kobe. Nash and Blake can't get open 3s where they just catch and fire like last years second half without Kobe. Every opposing SG is murdering this team because they can't be guarded and don't have to guard Blake or Nash:

Monta 11-14 and 8-8 FT with 30 points 9 assist 3 rebounds
Korver 8-10, 6-6 from 3, 2rebs, 4asts, 2stls, and a block
Reddick was 5/12 was 3 asts and 2rebs, and he went 1/6 vs Meeks
Manu 7/14, 3asts, 3rebs, for 20 pts
Klays 38 on 15/19 with 5/7 from three

Last year the lakers finished with a top 5 offense, Kobe was the leagues best post player at 1.2 PPP, and he converted them at a 60% range. Kobe's defensive fall off is greatly outstayed as he had better defensive effectiveness at 2 than Harden, Manu, Batum, Joe, Monta, Klay, and a bunch of other sgs. Kobe's historically boosted the FG EFG and TS of his bigs to make them look better, Kobe's got countless hustle slashers who are merely athletic like Shannon, Trevor, Clark, Barnes, old [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] Jamison paid and to to look good, and he's given shooter boost like Vlad from the attention he gets.

I don't even want to hear hyperbole, this is Kobe's team and its a gap between him and the B on the court and as a leader. Call him selfish, cocky, arrogant, but it works and they all benefit.

Klosed
kblo247

Postby MC on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:10 am

Totally agree with those saying the choice between Brown and MDA is the choosing of the lesser of 2 evils but one IMO is clearly better than the other and the reasoning is simple......

One of the 2 was willing to try and adapt..... the other has an ego bigger than mount Fuji ....

One that is not willing to change is the one that can never grow and become

The one that was has promise at the very least, willing to change and adapt...

Brown IMO TKOs MDA for that very fact....
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby MC on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:18 am

@kblo247 - nice breakdown but was there anyone who truly believed the opposite? that this was not Bryant's team and that he doesn't help others be more effective? If there was they clearly don't have a firm grasp of knowledge and understanding of the game of basketball. I don't need a single stat to understand the affect on spacing by including a superstar the likes of Bryant.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard