Mike D'Antoni Discussion: "I was an idiot..." (155)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:02 am

We all agree Clown and Antoni are bad coaches ... We should agree these teams were not going to win a title even with a great coach ...

Bad coaches for below average to above average/good ( in 11-12) teams ...
wcsoldier81

Postby XXIV on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:15 am

^^ What is surprises me most about those statistics is the fact we have no one playing 30+ minutes.
XXIV

Postby karacha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:54 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:We should agree these teams were not going to win a title even with a great coach .

Yeah. No one can coach a team like this to a title. Not that I'm defending MDA here in any way. But yeah... this is why I am not even trying to be excited for this season. Accept that the team is what it is right now and hopefully, Mitch will make some interesting changes next summer. Keep few young pieces, add some stars maybe... we'll see.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:00 am

My problem with D'Antoni: it's not hard to figure out that Blake has been ineffective. Don't play him. Play Farmar even if Farmar is struggling because Farmar's ceiling blows Blake's away.

Play Hill as many minutes as he can. I don't care what else happens in the rotation. Try this:

Hill/Pau
Hill/Kaman
Pau/Kaman
Hill/Pau

Not that hard.

Everything else... including last night's loss... I blame that on the players. The pick and roll defense was the worst I've ever seen in the NBA yesterday. No communication, no effort, no drive. Pathetic. Then come down, don't move the ball offensively, take bad shots, and mope at the sideline. I don't know what happened on the plane over to Dallas, but that team last night was the first team in a long time I've literally stopped watching. I take die hard seriously and I'll watch a bad game. Last night they had no heart. Some of that is on D'Antoni, some of that is on the players.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:10 pm

kblo247 wrote:Image

Fact not fiction.

Paus the same attempt guy in Memphis, Barcelona before the nba, Spain, as a laker in his title runs, and without Kobe. He's not an aggressive player. He's averaging a turnover per every assist to go without defending the basket or offensive rebounding at all as Dantoni pointed out since he's not doing that dirty work. His shooting 41%.

Blake is being killed by every SG and not making them work, same with Nash who is shooting below 30%. Williams isn't stretching any floor

Kaman is on pace to out put Paus numbers if you give him 29 minutes all with better percentages and effort. Hill is rebounding at a 2 minute per board rate more or less and the leagues best offensive rebounder.

Farmar, Young, Henry, Meeks, and Wes have all did their jobs as expected or better.

The team lacks ft attempts without Kobe. Nash and Blake can't get open 3s where they just catch and fire like last years second half without Kobe. Every opposing SG is murdering this team because they can't be guarded and don't have to guard Blake or Nash:

Monta 11-14 and 8-8 FT with 30 points 9 assist 3 rebounds
Korver 8-10, 6-6 from 3, 2rebs, 4asts, 2stls, and a block
Reddick was 5/12 was 3 asts and 2rebs, and he went 1/6 vs Meeks
Manu 7/14, 3asts, 3rebs, for 20 pts
Klays 38 on 15/19 with 5/7 from three

Last year the lakers finished with a top 5 offense, Kobe was the leagues best post player at 1.2 PPP, and he converted them at a 60% range. Kobe's defensive fall off is greatly outstayed as he had better defensive effectiveness at 2 than Harden, Manu, Batum, Joe, Monta, Klay, and a bunch of other sgs. Kobe's historically boosted the FG EFG and TS of his bigs to make them look better, Kobe's got countless hustle slashers who are merely athletic like Shannon, Trevor, Clark, Barnes, old [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] Jamison paid and to to look good, and he's given shooter boost like Vlad from the attention he gets.

I don't even want to hear hyperbole, this is Kobe's team and its a gap between him and the B on the court and as a leader. Call him selfish, cocky, arrogant, but it works and they all benefit.

Klosed

Nailed it. Our signings (apart from Williams so far) have been as good or better then expected. Optimistically, I think they'll improve as a team as the season progresses when the coaching staff settles with a rotation and these players have 'defined roles' in this system that MDA is trying to implement.

They are going to struggle right now...it will get worse before it gets better, though. What doesn't help is MDA; he's starting the slowest, most nonathletic backcourt in the league. We're at a disadvantage every game we start Nash & Blake going in...it's sad. He implemented Henry in the starting lineup; but what I think his Nash or Blake or both needs to be substituted out a lot earlier than usual if MDA is going to continue to start these two together...unless he gets an revelation to completely stop those two together which I highly doubt. He's not helping the team nor the players in that regard.

It gets magnified because when Blake or Nash can't stick with their man we have no rim protection. Pau is slow, can't hedge on the PNR, and has no lift in his legs...as much as I like Williams and his effort on defense, he's not great on that end. We will continue to have these problems unless you make a change in the backcourt personnel wise. And I think this happens when you play Farmar more then what he has been; he needs to be at 29-32 minutes a game. That will give us a chance to develop him and the opportunity for someone to actually stick in front of their man at the PG position.

At the SG position, I would slide Henry over for the bulk of those minutes; So, at least on that end, you have two guys who can both create their shot & others, draw free-throws, ability to stick with their man, and get out in transition to get easy buckets. That's what needs to happen, IMO; until Kobe gets back. We need to at least give ourselves a chance in these games...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:47 pm

davriver290 wrote:I actually disagree. There is a lot of movement in the offense. We have some smart players that help with that as well. Nash, Kaman, gasol are excellent with off ball screens. And we have guys who move well without it

How can you say that we have movement in our offense when we shoot over 30% of our shots from 3point range?
LakerFanIam

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:57 am

RIght now, D'Antoni seems like he has no idea who's been performing on the court vs. in practice.

Strangely, Meeks as been our most consistent performer. Thought I'd never say that after last season and preseason. Blake has been completely useless, and Williams hasn't done much either. Nash needs to play less minutes and Hill needs more floor time and start.

Nash (15) / Farmar (30) / Blake (3)
Meeks (24) / Young (24)
Henry (30) / Johnson (18)
Hill (25) / Williams (15) / Johnson (8)
Pau (25) / Kaman (20) / Hill (3)
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:07 am

i heard on the radio this morning that someone tweeted to Jeannie 'MDA needs to get Mike Brown'd' and instead of ignoring it, she made it a favorite...whatever that means...im not on Twitter
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:18 am

I just scrolled through her Twitter feed and didn't see any such tweet.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:45 am

During this Lakers season, the game is never the whole story. The Lakers are in a transitional year not only on the court, but in the owners’ box as well. Jim and Jeanie are figuring out their way as Lakers owners, following the death of Dr. Jerry Buss.

During the 123-104 drubbing the Mavericks gave the Lakers Tuesday night, Jeanie Buss was active on Twitter.

She favorited the following Tweet, which criticizes Mike D’Antoni, suggesting the Lakers should fire him early in the season, as the Lakers did last year to his predecessor, Mike Brown.

Jeanie’s relationship with coach D’Antoni is contentious, as she is engaged to Phil Jackson, whom the Lakers spurned for the coaching job in order to hire D’Antoni.

While she says there is no ill will towards Mike, she sure must be upset that Phil is not on the sidelines for the Lakers.

Regardless, an owner undermining the current coach publicly is not constructive.

The Lake Show drama continues…

http://lakernation.com/jeanie-buss-favo ... n-dantoni/

That's the Link...Max and Marcellus discussed it yesterday on 'Live Nation.' I guess the tweet didn't come out in the above article...either way, it's in the article, if anybody is interested...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:55 am

Kaman starting...Now replace Nash or Blake too :mad1:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:57 am

Does Asik start on the Rockets?
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:59 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Kaman starting...Now replace Nash or Blake too :mad1:

:man10: Ok, so the answer to our starting lineup is just to insert Kaman? Come on now, Mike D. We have enough capable bigs and Williams and Hill at least give you hustle, defense and some speed in the front court.

In the meantime you're going to have Blake guarding the Beard or Parsons who will shoot right over him? Great stuff.

Why is it so hard to figure out that you need to move Blake to the bench at 1, and play appropriately sized players who can defend at their respective positions like Henry and Johnson at the 2 and 3?
Lakerjones

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:34 pm

If Kaman starting means Hill gets more minutes, that's a step. Although, Hill deserves to start.

Move Blake to the doghouse and move Henry to SG and start Johnson at SF. Play Meeks at backup SG and Young at backup SF.

Ugh, what is the love story with Blake already.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:41 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:If Kaman starting means Hill gets more minutes, that's a step. Although, Hill deserves to start.

Move Blake to the doghouse and move Henry to SG and start Johnson at SF. Play Meeks at backup SG and Young at backup SF.

Ugh, what is the love story with Blake already.

^^ You're making a whole lot of sense lakerfan2.
Lakerjones

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:51 pm

he needs to start Sacre...i want to do the Hack-A-Coward early
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby karacha on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Jeanie is not doing the right thing here. Just stay out of it.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:04 pm

If you favorite a tweet, it doesn't go on your twitter line. It's like liking something on Facebook.

And this is just another reason why they need to sell the team. Very childish and not something the Lakers need at a point where we are a few make or break decisions away from getting back up contenders or staying in the cellar for a couple more years going forward.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:05 pm

Absolutely. What kind of message does this send to potential new players? Ouch, ouch... :bang:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:29 pm

Doc Brown wrote:If you favorite a tweet, it doesn't go on your twitter line. It's like liking something on Facebook.

And this is just another reason why they need to sell the team. Very childish and not something the Lakers need at a point where we are a few make or break decisions away from getting back up contenders or staying in the cellar for a couple more years going forward.

they should sell it to Magic and his rich Dodger group
pound4pound1

Postby Weezy on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:30 pm

I was honestly shocked to hear Jeanie did that. It makes me wonder how things are behind the scenes still, if she truly doesn't like 'Antoni and isn't happy he's here. If that's the case she needs to keep it to herself or get together with Jim and do something. I agree, very childish stuff going on, I'm starting to wonder if any of the Buss children are qualified to run the team. This, plus re-reading the Magic interview on Jim from opening day re-tweeted by Janis Carr about how he doesn't listen to others for advice because of ego, what a mess. Seems a lot more than just a man may have died when Jerry passed.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:49 pm

Weezy wrote:...I'm starting to wonder if any of the Buss children are qualified to run the team....

Short answer, no.
lotus

Postby karacha on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Obviously not. They should think about selling the team. Sad, but true.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Guggenheim should come to the rescue.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:39 pm

2k sports got it right