Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: "I was an idiot..." (155)

Postby Helljumper on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:34 am

Helljumper

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:37 am

khmrP wrote:says that guy who questions memes to of accurate details.

:man10:

Whatever man. I don't care enough to make a thing out of this.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:56 pm

I actually thought this back and forth was pretty funny. Thanks for bringing a chuckle to my afternoon. :man12:
lotus

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:35 pm

If memery serves me correctly, that whole this roster fits MDA's style was said.

People keep saying they feel sorry for Mitch....why? He constructed the roster last year and felt that MDA's style fit. Then this summer, he brought in the roster that would fit MDA's system after a proper training camp.

People keep saying that MDA deserves credit for what he was able to do with this roster.....uh, its cause the roster was made to fit his style. Then they want to use the injuries excuse! Coach is in charge of managing minutes and in doing so could keep a team afloat through key injuries. But we have no point guards! Maybe Mitch should have looked to add more durable PGs knowing MDA's system. Maybe, MDA needs to place less duress on PGs and more on creating more efficient offensive schemes.

But what can MDA do in terms of personnel when the cap is taken up by players that aren't even playing (ie Nash). See what Phil did with B. Grant's contract still on the books after we amnestied him. In fact see what a real coach did with a team that had talents like Kwame, Smush, Brian Cook, Devean George, Aaron McKie, Slava, Luke Walton and LO as the 2nd option. With that team, Phil had Kobe lead them to a 45-37 record. Last season, Kobe and Dwight were mostly healthy and MDA got a similar record.

So I'm sorry you guys...but seriously spare me the sob stories for the Lakers. Our injuries and the way this roster was constructed were all self-inflicted. Our roster is so poor, cause Mitch constructed it this way. Our injuries are so plentiful cause MDA can't manage minutes worth a damn.

So both Mitch and MDA aren't victims here of mere circumstance and bad luck....the only guests that have a right to attend this pity party are the Laker fans...Jimmy, Mitch and MDA aren't attending, they're hosting.

Now can someone help me find a 3 stooges aka Laker FO meme...
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:42 pm

^ See now that meme makes sense.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby snackdaddy on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:38 pm

snackdaddy

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:57 pm

And so it comes full circle...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby bigdog2013 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Image

If memery serves me correctly, that whole this roster fits MDA's style was said.

People keep saying they feel sorry for Mitch....why? He constructed the roster last year and felt that MDA's style fit. Then this summer, he brought in the roster that would fit MDA's system after a proper training camp.

People keep saying that MDA deserves credit for what he was able to do with this roster.....uh, its cause the roster was made to fit his style. Then they want to use the injuries excuse! Coach is in charge of managing minutes and in doing so could keep a team afloat through key injuries. But we have no point guards! Maybe Mitch should have looked to add more durable PGs knowing MDA's system. Maybe, MDA needs to place less duress on PGs and more on creating more efficient offensive schemes.

But what can MDA do in terms of personnel when the cap is taken up by players that aren't even playing (ie Nash). See what Phil did with B. Grant's contract still on the books after we amnestied him. In fact see what a real coach did with a team that had talents like Kwame, Smush, Brian Cook, Devean George, Aaron McKie, Slava, Luke Walton and LO as the 2nd option. With that team, Phil had Kobe lead them to a 45-37 record. Last season, Kobe and Dwight were mostly healthy and MDA got a similar record.

So I'm sorry you guys...but seriously spare me the sob stories for the Lakers. Our injuries and the way this roster was constructed were all self-inflicted. Our roster is so poor, cause Mitch constructed it this way. Our injuries are so plentiful cause MDA can't manage minutes worth a damn.

So both Mitch and MDA aren't victims here of mere circumstance and bad luck....the only guests that have a right to attend this pity party are the Laker fans...Jimmy, Mitch and MDA aren't attending, they're hosting.

Now can someone help me find a 3 stooges aka Laker FO meme...

The lakers PG injuries have nothing to do with minutes. Before the rash of injuries no laker played more than 30 minutes a game. This team was pretty decent before steve black and farmer went down. You cant build a roster with 2 aging guys taking 3/4 of the cap space.
bigdog2013

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:50 pm

Not getting drawn back into this discussion again, but I simply want to state that I completely disagree with minute management not being a key contributor to injuries. You can't also ignore the role and duress that were applied to certain players with the minutes that were played. A guard that routinely plays 15 minutes and is now playing 30 minutes is one thing....a guard that routinely played 15 minutes and is now solely in charge of orchestrating the offense and playing 30 minutes is quite another.

As for that cap issue, that would be Mitch's fault or maybe the wand was feeling generous...either way, I addressed that as well in my rantiferous post.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:15 pm

I think there's truth in the middle here, management or coaching is not solely responsible for injuries, and they aren't blameless. I agree with you Vas that when career 15 minute guys are being asked to play 35 minutes and run an offense injuries are more likely, the chances have to go up. I fear a little bit for Marshall in that regard right now even. That said some of the injuries are just freak injuries, bad luck, and again as you point out, aging (Nash and Pau for sure have had aging injuries).

As for the cap, yeah, the Lakers tend to let the money fly out in championship times and have to pay for it later. It happened during the Kobe and Shaq years and by the end we had some pretty bad role players filling out the roster trying to help win those titles in '03 and '04. Then that duo ended and we had to pay for it from '04/'05 through the start of '07/'08. Then we gave out the cash again, to keep Kobe and Pau together a little too long, and we're paying for it now for a few seasons. It's hard for me to really get mad or complain or feel truly disappointed though, because we got 5 titles in a decade doing this. Many teams play it "smart" with the money, or safe, draft well, and never win a single title. I will take that bad moves and the down years and be patient if it means more titles are likely again in the future. Like I keep saying you can't win every season, and I see no point in getting too upset about it like I used to when I was younger. I'm not addressing any of this about our cap situation to you personally Vas, I'm just stating my take in general I guess.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:37 pm

Appreciate your post Weez. I agree with you as well.

I can't get upset when management rewards our core/franchise players of title teams...but what upsets me is that they get too generous at times. I'm sure you can recall the contracts of D. George and Luke Walton. Fans couldn't wait till those guys came off the books.

In the case of Kobe, sure, he's the guy that sells tickets so you want to lock him up. His 2009 extension didn't bother me cause we were coming off 2 Finals appearances and winning a title against Orlando. But the extension that occurred this season was down right appalling. There was no pressure to get that extension done, but management went ahead and did it...but, in a way, I can see why....the NBA is a business after all.

When it comes to Pau's 2009 extension, that really confused me. Again, keeping Pau coming off a title was something any fan wanted to do...but Pau still had 2 years remaining on his current contract at the time. He would have expired just before the 2011 lockout and dude would have been 32. We would have had his Bird Rights and we would have had a clearer picture with the new CBA and how it affects contracts...but instead we prematurely extended him and now the fans are using him as a whipping boy largely due to how much he makes....but that was entirely management. Nothing came out at the time that suggested Pau demand an extension, cause like I said, there were 2 years remaining on his contract at the time.

And then off course its the ridiculous contracts we have given to coaches (60M to RudyT, MikeB, MDA) and then there is the ridiculously lengthy Nash contract.

I know that hindsight is 20/20, but its almost like the Lakers never learn from their mistakes (see coaching hires and Kobes recent extension here).
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:55 pm

The contracts of George and Luke come to my mind every single time I reference throwing out money in championship times. If I remember right we did the same with Sasha, something like 3 years 15 mil in 2008(?), same 5 mil per like these other guys.

When it comes to Kobe's deal this season, I'm still not thrilled. I only try to justify it to myself as an end of career reward and as a show of loyalty to our own to potential free agents out there keeping an eye on us.

As for Pau's extension in 2009, I agree completely, I was going to bring it up in my post above and just didn't. I felt like at the time it was too much over too long, but I also felt it was more of a reward than anything and that's how much even a 2nd star or sidekick champion player (especially a 7 footer) cost back then before the new CBA. I do think management felt Pau would sustain his greatness longer than he has as well though, and overestimated how long he and Kobe could be a championship duo. They took a gamble and locked them both up before Pau would even have a chance to consider going elsewhere in 2011. It didn't work out, but I can see their thinking.

The next few seasons are going to tell us a lot about if the Lakers are learning from mistakes or not. If they throw too much money at Melo, or actually pay Pau or some other second tier player out there 12 mil if we strike out on big names, well IMO they haven't leaned then. Time will tell, gonna be tough to be patient through it, but I've accepted we have no choice. I guess at the very least I hope Kobe can stay healthy and give us some entertaining ball in his last seasons and go out on his own terms. And that we are able to draft a quality player and get some other good players with all that money we've freed up this for this offseason. Oh and that Nash freaking retires already.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby themasterphil on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:04 am

I cant wait for the moment when this clown is going to be fired. Worst coach EVER but also he is best coach for us right now. We need to be the worst team in the league this season. Jabari Parker, Wiggins, Smart, Embid this sounds nice. :man4:
themasterphil

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:44 am

I think Byron is being kept in the broadcast booth as a reserve. Let D'Antoni finish the season and then Scott takes over while retaining Rambis.

With all the losing we could have a new star in the draft... I'll draft Smart if we are in the top 10 and Embiid if we are in the top 3.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby karacha on Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:57 am

I would not want Scott as our head coach.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:03 pm

There is no consensus on who should be the next coach. Well, Phil Jackson, but that's never going to happen again.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby 432J on Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:36 pm

karacha wrote:I would not want Scott as our head coach.

he's a terrible coach

if there's anyone i'd want as head coach once dan tony finally departs it would be rambis
432J

Postby Azndude2190 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:38 pm

You say B.Scott is a terrible coach, yet you point to Rambis as a better alternative? He was horrible as the head coach of the T-Wolves.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby Barnstable on Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:55 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:In the case of Kobe, sure, he's the guy that sells tickets so you want to lock him up. His 2009 extension didn't bother me cause we were coming off 2 Finals appearances and winning a title against Orlando. But the extension that occurred this season was down right appalling. There was no pressure to get that extension done, but management went ahead and did it...but, in a way, I can see why....the NBA is a business after all.

Actually, there could have been some pressure from Time Warner Cable to ensure we have a marketable Superstar signed at all times. We don't know the details of that contract, but I know if I was shelling out as much as TWC is for that contract, I would want some insurances in place.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:44 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:There is no consensus on who should be the next coach. Well, Phil Jackson, but that's never going to happen again.

Fisher needs to get on the Lakers staff as an assistant coach ASAP.
Chillbongo

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:07 pm

I honestly don't want D'antoni gone at all.. If Thibs becomes available I'd quickly change my tune, I'd fire any coach in the league to hire Thibs.. Or if we landed another dominant post player & Kobe went back to killing it in the pinch post, I'd love to have Phil back.. Anyone else is a lateral move at best.
LakersN4

Postby Savory Griddles on Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:48 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:You say B.Scott is a terrible coach, yet you point to Rambis as a better alternative? He was horrible as the head coach of the T-Wolves.

They are both bad. Well, Scott isn't bad for like the first season or so he's with a team, but then he burns out his rosters and they hate him. Antoni can be coach for the next two seasons since, short of some extreme luck, Kobe taking up half our cap space will keep us from truly contending. 2016 we hire a new coach to go with Wiggins, Monroe, Love and Durant. :man12:
Savory Griddles

Postby Azndude2190 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:07 pm

LakersN4 wrote:I honestly don't want D'antoni gone at all.. If Thibs becomes available I'd quickly change my tune, I'd fire any coach in the league to hire Thibs.. Or if we landed another dominant post player & Kobe went back to killing it in the pinch post, I'd love to have Phil back.. Anyone else is a lateral move at best.

Yea i'm kind of 50/50 with MDA, part of me has this uneasy feeling that as long as he's our head coach we won't be winning any championships, but the other part of me, feels like we can't get anyone better than him after his contract with us expires. There are only a few people who are currently coaching that I really like, Tom Thibodeau is one, Doc Rivers is another, Pops is one more and so is Frank Vogel; but realistically we can't have anyone of these people. Hell, I like Jerry Sloan too, but he's also doubtful to come to the Lakers. Lionel Hollins? Maybe, but probably not also. Management is enamored with MDA and he's covered by the injury woes (and I think rightfully so).

I don't know, after having a legendary figure in Phil Jackson as the team's head coach for the majority of a decade, choices become much more muddled and whatevers.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby revgen on Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:23 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:You say B.Scott is a terrible coach, yet you point to Rambis as a better alternative? He was horrible as the head coach of the T-Wolves.

I think David Kahn screwed the T-Wolves more than Rambis did.

Even under Adelman (with Kahn in charge), the T-Wolves have had losing seasons. You can't win without the proper personnel.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:10 pm

Nothing on P Oneals tweet about coaching change?
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard