Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: "I was an idiot..." (155)

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:13 pm

Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Coaching Change Tuesday?!?!?

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:14 pm

If you want to merge with the MDA thread go ahead.. just shocked theres noone posting about this

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Re: Coaching Change Tuesday?!?!?

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:17 pm

apparently it's a joke or hoax??? IDK... you can lock this or trash it :man10:

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby revgen on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:23 pm

It's definitely a joke. A Staples Center usher wouldn't know what Mitch is doing.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby CarFlagChris on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:24 pm

Dubious source, although Patrick O'Neal either gives it legitimacy or is just hopeful to be the first.

At any rate, a coaching a change is very necessary after losing by almost 30 to Phx and 20 to Golden State last month, 40 to the Clippers and letting Denver score 135.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:27 pm

Boy that would be cool as far as I'm concerned. Not that I see much point at this juncture - no one else is really going to help now. It would just make me happy if we were to actually get rid of D' Antoni for the future.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:28 pm

Great if so. Not that I think anyone necessarily makes this team better right now. I just don't like D' Antoni and never have.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby CarFlagChris on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:33 pm

Patrick O'Neal was being a punk.

"Patrick O'Neal ‏@Patrick_ONeal 19m
Not in breaking news business. Was a joke. Thought the "can't reveal my source" line was obvious. I talk to sports fans everyday."

Lock it.
CarFlagChris

Postby dmaul on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:34 pm

Sometimes players get reinvigorated under a different coach and have a bit of a surge. Not that we have the talent to pull off something like that, but why risk it? We've got some good momentum going right now. We've been wonderfully awful these past ten games and looking at the upcoming schedule I'm anxious to pick up more ground on the teams higher than us in the loss column. As far as I'm concerned D'Antoni is the perfect man for this job.
dmaul

Postby CarFlagChris on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:35 pm

Hoax and Patrick O'Neal is an idiot.

"Patrick O'Neal ‏@Patrick_ONeal 19m
Not in breaking news business. Was a joke. Thought the "can't reveal my source" line was obvious. I talk to sports fans everyday."
CarFlagChris

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:35 pm

In the almost negligible probability that this is true, can Mitch pick the next coach on his own? No more input for Jimmy on coaches please.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:37 pm

^^ Damn, got my hopes up too soon. :bang:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby dmaul on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:42 pm

Why all the hate for D'Antoni? This is the best stretch of coaching he's given us in his short tenure. I applaud his efforts and wholeheartedly give him my support. His performance is going to lead us straight to Wiggins or Parker.
dmaul

Postby John3:16 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:51 pm

If our goal is a top 3 lottery pick, D'Antoni is the perfect coach to lead us there.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby jimbo327 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:47 am

If we want to be in the lottery, MDA is not going anywhere. He is doing a bang up job of getting blown out on a nightly basis.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby karacha on Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:30 am

dmaul wrote:Sometimes players get reinvigorated under a different coach and have a bit of a surge. Not that we have the talent to pull off something like that, but why risk it? We've got some good momentum going right now. We've been wonderfully awful these past ten games and looking at the upcoming schedule I'm anxious to pick up more ground on the teams higher than us in the loss column. As far as I'm concerned D'Antoni is the perfect man for this job.

What he said. Let Mike finish this.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:17 am

An usher? I thought it was Sager.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Slurpee22 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:23 am

What is the point, for Patrick O'Neal to act like a douche bag?
Slurpee22

Postby karacha on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:07 am

^

He did not want to act like a douche bag,; it was a joke. He thought it was pretty obvious.

Nothing to see here, just move on. :man12:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:11 pm

Pretty terrible for a journalist to do. Diminishes his credibility as a professional. If he wanted to be a joke, at least do it on something that isn't even a remote possibility. LeBron to Cavs for Dion Waiters and a pick.....something like that.

D'Antoni has been on the hot seat since he arrived. Hardly "joke" material.
Chillbongo

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:23 pm

"He wears a red coat at Staples"

How does that diminish his credibility? Go read what Sam Amico puts out for trade rumors if you want to diminish someone's credibility.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:15 pm

I don't think MDA has been on a hot seat -- except with the fans. Now ,that Is definitely true. But with the management... Mitch says they are very happy with the job he is doing and I actually believe it. He has a relatively short contract and they are not expecting anything this year anyway. Therefore, he's meeting expectations, and by the time we rebuild the team -- his contract will expire.

Otherwise, I could see the management saying "we have talked to coach Mike and he knows what our expectations are...." etc, etc. Instead, Mitch seems to be pretty cool about the whole thing, which tells me he definitely knows what he is doing, except he can't openly share it with the fans. You either believe -- or you don't. But this is one of those things that requires faith.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:22 pm

karacha wrote:Mitch says they are very happy with the job he is doing and I actually believe it.

Didn't Mitch say the same thing about Mike Brown shortly before he was axed?
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:40 pm

Damn, that tweet got my hopes up for a second. Not because I think any coach on earth could turn this current situation around, but because the second he's gone we aren't acquiring players with his system in mind anymore and we will know we're done with the awful 'Antoni experiment. To know that he wouldn't be here next season for sure would have been nice, we could gave just gone on with Rambis short term and look at a coach later.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:53 pm

revgen wrote:
karacha wrote:Mitch says they are very happy with the job he is doing and I actually believe it.

Didn't Mitch say the same thing about Mike Brown shortly before he was axed?

Honestly, I am not sure. Perhaps he did... if there is some kind of link where he said it right before Brown was fired I would appreciate it.
Nevertheless, Brown was doing a bad job, installing Princeton with that team for absolutely no reason and just wasn't able to get along with the guys, not to mention Kobe's "death stare" (MDA has problems with Pau... other issues are not documented as far as I know); Our problems with injuries seriously destroyed any hope MDA could've had, regardless of how good of a coach he really is. It would take either a miracle or black magic to make this team good and consistent with all the lineup changes. At this point, I'm not even sure whether Mike D'Antoni is doing a good, or an awful job. He's not the right coach for the Lakers, but he's probably doing well in some areas and not so great in others, but again... with the team we currently have on the floor it's difficult to say anything with certainty, except that he likes them to shoot the long ball and does not like to play Kaman.

I also don't know what the team vision is right now. Have they truly decided to tank but pretend like it's injuries and setbacks stopping us for playing better ball? ... it's all very strange and unclear at this point.

But for some reason I believe Mitch this time. You know what? Here's the thing: we can see if I'm right or wrong, we just have to wait. But I don't think they will fire D'Antoni. Certainly not this season. Let's just wait and see. I just don't see what's the point in firing him now. In the worst case, keep him until the offseason. Nothing is going to change anyway -- we'll still suck and we're still going to pay him. My suggestion (like Mitch and Buss are going to read it) is to keep him for now and try to convince one of the Van Gundy brothers to coach the team next year (because Phil is not going to coach again and the same goes for Sloan).

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard